or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple bit by Apple TV setback
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple bit by Apple TV setback

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
Shares of Apple Inc. slipped more than 2 percent in morning trading on the Nasdaq stock market one day after the consumer electronics maker said it would delay its foray into the living room by several weeks.

"Wrapping up Apple TV is taking a few weeks longer than we projected, and we now expect to begin shipments in mid-March, not in February as originally anticipated," Apple wrote in an email to its online customers on Monday evening.

The delay almost assures that the Cupertino-based firm will be unlikely to benefit from more than a week's worth of sales of the $299 wireless media hub during its second fiscal quarter, which ends late next month.

While Apple has a long-standing history of not commenting on its product roll-out woes, earlier reports have singled out the device's embedded software as the likely source of the delay. It's also possible that the device has yet to receive the necessary go-ahead from the Federal Communications Commission, as no such approval documents have surfaced.

Like iPhone, those people familiar with the Apple TV device claim it runs a derivative of the Mac OS X operating system. Apple is expected to leverage the underlying technology in upcoming software releases such as Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and iLife '07.

"We wouldn’t be surprised if Leopard contained a function that allows the iTunes application to be bi-passed to stream digital media to the TV," said Ingrid Ebeling, an analyst with JMP Securities.

Ebeling is among a handful of Wall Street figures who believe Apple TV, largely overshadowed as of late by all things iPhone, could be a "sleeper hit" in Apple's product offerings. She's forecasting the company to sell just over 1 million of the set-top boxes through 2008 but says that number could turn out to be "very conservative."

"We have spoken with Apple representatives on several occasions and our checks indicate that initial demand has been quite strong," the analyst told clients in a research note distributed just prior to this past weekend. She said every additional million units the company sells through 2008 will deliver approximately 6 cents of per-share earnings upside to her estimates for the year.

Thus far, Apple has said the Apple TV will utilize emerging 802.1n wireless technology to stream movies, music and photos from computers running iTunes to wide screen HDTVs located in living rooms and other leisure locations throughout the home. However, a slip of the lip by one of the company's iPod game developers recently offered hints that Apple TV will also play a significant role in Apple's bid for a piece of the casual gaming market.

Shares of Apple dropped $1.96 or 2.2 percent to $86.69 on Monday following word of the delay and admid reports of slumping stocks in China and Europe.
post #2 of 45
"Shares of Apple Inc. slipped more than 2 percent in morning trading on the Nasdaq stock market after the consumer electronics maker said it would delay its foray into the living room by several weeks."

How about: global stock markets collapsed after the Chinese market fell 9% last night. Apple traded down with the rest of the market after fears a global slowdown could impact stocks.

Sometimes there is no news. Apple's fall today had nothing to do with the aTV delay, and everything to do with a meltdown in the markets.

Katie might want to remember that next time she tries to link cause-and-effect
post #3 of 45
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc. This is a fallacy, that's all I have to say.
post #4 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo_UK View Post

"Shares of Apple Inc. slipped more than 2 percent in morning trading on the Nasdaq stock market after the consumer electronics maker said it would delay its foray into the living room by several weeks."

How about: global stock markets collapsed after the Chinese market fell 9% last night. Apple traded down with the rest of the market after fears a global slowdown could impact stocks.

Sometimes there is no news. Apple's fall today had nothing to do with the aTV delay, and everything to do with a meltdown in the markets.

Katie might want to remember that next time she tries to link cause-and-effect

That's what I thought when I saw this story. News of the delay hit yesterday while the market was open didn't it? The market reacts very quickly, not the next day. This is just a pullback because of the chinese market.
post #5 of 45
Analysis Non Gradus Anus Rodentum

(Analysis Not Worth A Rats Ass)
post #6 of 45
It isn't sane - ATV delayed by 3 weeks, it's nothing to even worry about let alone get rid of Apple stock...
post #7 of 45
That's what they get for teasing me. Hrumf.
post #8 of 45
Aw man. Now I'll have to wait longer to not buy an Apple TV.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Aw man. Now I'll have to wait longer to not buy an Apple TV.

Maybe its been delayed so they could add some useful features. PVR is a must.
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleski View Post

Maybe its been delayed so they could add some useful features. PVR is a must.

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense. The devices have already been sent into mass production--without a TV tuner or even any sort of video-in ports. Besides that primary issue, there is the secondary issue that Apple has no interest in creating a PVR--they want to become the new form of content distribution: over the iTunes store. I doubt they'll succeed, but they'll make a lot of money on the way, and that's the strategy they've chosen.
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense. The devices have already been sent into mass production--without a TV tuner or even any sort of video-in ports. Besides that primary issue, there is the secondary issue that Apple has no interest in creating a PVR--they want to become the new form of content distribution: over the iTunes store. I doubt they'll succeed, but they'll make a lot of money on the way, and that's the strategy they've chosen.

Just wait for Apple TV, version 2. I think it'll be a more interesting product once the consumer gives Steve some solid feedback.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #12 of 45
I will have to wait longer to see what almost as good as DVD quality looks like.
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo_UK View Post

"Shares of Apple Inc. slipped more than 2 percent in morning trading on the Nasdaq stock market after the consumer electronics maker said it would delay its foray into the living room by several weeks."

How about: global stock markets collapsed after the Chinese market fell 9% last night. Apple traded down with the rest of the market after fears a global slowdown could impact stocks.

Sometimes there is no news. Apple's fall today had nothing to do with the aTV delay, and everything to do with a meltdown in the markets.

Katie might want to remember that next time she tries to link cause-and-effect

You are 100% correct.
If this stock slip happend a day after Steve Jobs birthday they would have blamed the drop on that too
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by from the article

"We wouldnt be surprised if Leopard contained a function that allows the iTunes application to be bi-passed to stream digital media to the TV," said Ingrid Ebeling, an analyst with JMP Securities.

"bi-passed?" WTF?
post #15 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc. This is a fallacy, that's all I have to say.

I think it helps to have an alternative explaination as to why the stock dropped. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else that changed in the last two days, certainly not one that would result in a $2.50 drop overnight.
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else that changed in the last two days, certainly not one that would result in a $2.50 drop overnight.

I think news must have leaked that Jobs had another meeting with his personal lawyer...
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeny View Post

You are 100% correct.
If this stock slip happend a day after Steve Jobs birthday they would have blamed the drop on that too

Um, excuse me, but he would be a year older. A year closer to death/retirement. Its the perfect reason to see the price drop in half.
post #18 of 45
the DOW's down nearly 200 points as i write this, the NASDAQ down almost 60. One of the biggest drops in the past year. AAPL is just moving with the markets. It was a silly story i'm sure the writer, upon reflection, will regret. It happens to all of us, it's just more dramatic in print.
post #19 of 45
Analysts are fucking stupid.

In after hours trading all tech stocks went down, of 200 well known tech companies, the average down was 2.8%, this morning most were down 2.7-4.2% along with the NASDAQ.

I guess checking Apple's stock and reporting that it's down because of AppleTV is much easier than checking other tech stocks and reporting the facts. It also means that analysts can justify their existence to their bosses, "Good work on that Apple story!"

Analysts get your head out of your ass.

P.S. In interest of full disclosure I've been an analyst for 8 years, and have heavy investments in tech stocks including Apple.
post #20 of 45
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Um, excuse me, but he would be a year older. A year closer to death/retirement. Its the perfect reason to see the price drop in half.

Well it didnt happen
post #22 of 45
I really wanna try appletv in the store to see if its a good fit but these set backs are annoying, the longer it takes them to get it in the store the more my interest drops, at least get the damn thing in stores, you already have the lcds there.

By the time this drops it would have been half a year since it was announced.

But games though? Hmmm...Apple Interactive Television Box Reborn?


I think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_i...television_box
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think news must have leaked that Jobs had another meeting with his personal lawyer...

Looks like the very unstable Chinese stock market (which I would never put any money in) led the drop.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/bu...hp&oref=slogin

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it helps to have an alternative explaination as to why the stock dropped. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else that changed in the last two days, certainly not one that would result in a $2.50 drop overnight.

Yes... But by the same logic we can blame the crazy Chinese (article on slashdot about their stupidity with declaring internet addiction, If I had any doubt they were commies it's all gone now). Maybe that can at least be taken into account by the analyst....
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Analysts are fucking stupid.

Analysts get your head out of your ass.

P.S. In interest of full disclosure I've been an analyst for 8 years...

So, in effect, you're saying that you're fucking stupid and have your head up your ass?

post #26 of 45
Just when I think Kasper is getting pretty good at pretending to be a journalist, he writes something like this article. Come on, man.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #27 of 45
Apple TV March 20th, maybe Leopard too on March 20th?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #28 of 45
The entire market is down today so its not only Apple.
post #29 of 45
good time to buy more Apple stock for me. Idiots who sold today will be sorry.
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Just when I think Kasper is getting pretty good at pretending to be a journalist, he writes something like this article. Come on, man.

Ahhh, just when i thik CosmoNut is getting pretty good at pretending to be a reader he writes something like this post. (according to the byline by the article, it was written "By Katie Marsal".) But i'll accept the argument that if Kasper's the editor of all that appears here, then he should have caught this.

as for the post suggesting analysts were somehow responsible for this misguided article, the way i read it, the author didn't attribute the "delay causes stock drop" presumption TO anyone, much less an to analyst: it's just an assumption voiced by the author. The analyst in the article actually says she believes Apple TV may be a hidden hit for the company. Or did i misread it--always a possibility!

literucy rools!\
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The entire market is down today so its not only Apple.

Yes. Down over 500 points. Largest crash since 9/11.

iTV is probably only a very small factor.
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

good time to buy more Apple stock for me. Idiots who sold today will be sorry.

Unless you're buying very, very large blocks of stock, this little dip won't even be worth your time. Wait until it dips to 60 or just under 70... which ain't gonna happen.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Yes. Down over 500 points. Largest crash since 9/11.

iTV is probably only a very small factor.

Meh. It'll sort itself out in less than a month... I'd give it 2 weeks.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo_UK View Post

"Shares of Apple Inc. slipped more than 2 percent in morning trading on the Nasdaq stock market after the consumer electronics maker said it would delay its foray into the living room by several weeks."

How about: global stock markets collapsed after the Chinese market fell 9% last night. Apple traded down with the rest of the market after fears a global slowdown could impact stocks.

Sometimes there is no news. Apple's fall today had nothing to do with the aTV delay, and everything to do with a meltdown in the markets.

Katie might want to remember that next time she tries to link cause-and-effect

100% Agree. Dow, Nasdaq, S&P got slammed down hardcore 4% in just one day on Tuesday trading. Monday trading was fine.
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Aw man. Now I'll have to wait longer to not buy an Apple TV.

AHh ahh ahhahha haha ROFLMFAO
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks like the very unstable Chinese stock market (which I would never put any money in) led the drop.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/bu...hp&oref=slogin

I'm reading http://www.businessweek.com/investor...ndex_top+story
To try and figure out what the FRACK happened.

Edit: Still no idea on what the hell is going on. Everything is going apeshit on Bloomberg, CNBC and BBC....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple TV March 20th, maybe Leopard too on March 20th?

I think the delay is... wait for it... <conspiracy theory> to coincide with late March full release of AppleTV, Leopard, new Macs, Adobe Universal CS3, movies from WB and FOX</conspiracy theory>.
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

So, in effect, you're saying that you're fucking stupid and have your head up your ass?



Yes most of the time I am fing stupid. However even when stupid I tend to tell the truth. It was obvious this morning when I was trading that something was not right, buys were down everywhere as well as a shake in asian markets.
post #38 of 45
In related news... on Feb. 26th, Standard & Poor's released a stock report for AAPL, and they currently rate it as a "Strong Buy".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In related news... on Feb. 26th, Standard & Poor's released a stock report for AAPL, and they currently rate it as a "Strong Buy".

That's great. Everyone's rating it as a good buy because they (institutional investors) want it to go up up up... because they got a whole lot more when Apple was/is at the low-$80s. Now all that needs to happen is for the stock to *actually frickin' go up past $100...!!!!11!!!" argjhsgdkjshgkjdhqhfajshdf!
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That's great. Everyone's rating it as a good buy because they (institutional investors) want it to go up up up... because they got a whole lot more when Apple was/is at the low-$80s. Now all that needs to happen is for the stock to *actually frickin' go up past $100...!!!!11!!!" argjhsgdkjshgkjdhqhfajshdf!

They don't rate it highly BECAUSE institutional investors WANT it to go up. Those investors want to know whether they should change their investment strategy, or at least, tweek their portfolio. They invest for the long term, not for days, weeks, or months at a time.

Day traders jump ship at the least sign of movement.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple bit by Apple TV setback