or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Video unearths undisclosed iPhone features
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Video unearths undisclosed iPhone features

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 
While Apple chief executive Steve Jobs flew through the iPhone's core software during his Macworld keynote address, a video team has gone back and discovered several software touches that may have some people reconsidering the distinctive phone.

An especially thorough group at Actioncorp re-examined Jobs' presentation frame-by-frame, pointing out a number of hidden features revealed in passing -- even those which surfaced for only a split-second via the live stream or in a journalist's snapshot.

Perhaps the most relevant finding is the inclusion of a "Ringtones" tab in the phone's iTunes preferences. Although Jobs had drawn attention only to the handset's default calypso ringtone during the two-hour event, the sighting validated hopes that customizing the sound would be at least as flexible as with its rivals today.

Actioncorp was particularly intrigued by the addition, noting that a dedicated tab and the plural phrasing meant that Apple expected owners to have more than a small collection of tones separate from their music. The extra space could well be part of a larger strategy to sell ringtones through the iTunes Store, the footage noted.

A second new tab, Personal, was likely to contain options for synchronizing contacts, e-mail accounts, and other info.

In the clip, the group also reminded its audience of the much larger scope of the iPhone's trumpeted Google Maps feature. David Pogue of the New York Times was previously quick to silence expectations of live GPS in the Apple communicator through hands-on experience, but the video emphasized Steve Jobs' seemingly casual references to direction-finding and traffic alerts for the Google utility. Corner buttons in the map tool for either function were already in place.



Eventual users of the iPhone could also count on saving time by means of a few important control tricks, the footage reveals. An alphabetic side strip immediately jumps to tracks filed under a particular letter just by tapping the screen, breaking the tedium of scrolling through a large collection.

The briefly mentioned iPhone calendar application also has a plus-sign button for adding new events directly from the iPhone, heralding the first time an Apple device has permitted two-way updating for anything other than play counts or track ratings.

Watch the video:

post #2 of 61
woo first post

but seriously.. this is news?

i saw this a few days ago
post #3 of 61
Someone has too much time on his... oh, wait a sec.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 61
Dear God has the time come where people have to start picking apart videos frame by frame? "If you examine very closely you can see the outline of Steve's @*%$ in his pants."
post #5 of 61
The button on the calander app that he couldn't recognize is "Today", press it to see today's events. Google Maps; lower right is 'Get directions' (car). Lower left is "Find a restaurant" (knife and fork). And yes users will be able to use their songs as ringtones, and yes we'll see an iTunes ringtones section. If you own iTunes and you sell phones, you sell tones - it's that simple. Now where the hell is my iPhone bucketmonkey.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #6 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The button on the calander app that he couldn't recognize is "Today", press it to see today's events. Google Maps; lower right is 'Get directions' (car). Lower left is "Find a restaurant" (knife and fork). And yes users will be able to use their songs as ringtones, and yes we'll see an iTunes ringtones section. If you own iTunes and you sell phones, you sell tones - it's that simple. Now where the hell is my iPhone bucketmonkey.

I'll take the 24" widescreen iBucketmonkey.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #7 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The button on the calander app that he couldn't recognize is "Today", press it to see today's events. Google Maps; lower right is 'Get directions' (car). Lower left is "Find a restaurant" (knife and fork). And yes users will be able to use their songs as ringtones, and yes we'll see an iTunes ringtones section. If you own iTunes and you sell phones, you sell tones - it's that simple. Now where the hell is my iPhone bucketmonkey.

yeah, i thought the knife and fork was kinda obvious...
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
Reply
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
Reply
post #8 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Dear God has the time come where people have to start picking apart videos frame by frame? "If you examine very closely you can see the outline of Steve's @*%$ in his pants."

You must be new here... Welcome to the insanity of Mac rumors.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #9 of 61
<borat>very naaaiiice, yes</borat>. All aboard the iPhone train. It has to be a good PDA. On top of phone and iPod functions.
post #10 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

You must be new here... Welcome to the insanity of Mac rumors.

I thought this site was called Apple Insider?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #11 of 61
*b*tchslap* Shaddup, you.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #12 of 61
I heard about is that the iPhone can make perfectly crispy bacon. 15 of the 200 patents on the iPhone is that the bacon it makes is kosher, halal and vegan! How do they do it?
post #13 of 61
Treos currently have a Google map app that seems somewhat similar to the functionality that was demo'd. Google Maps on Treo also has traffic and directions but does it without GPS. You need to give it a zip code or address where you are and where you are going to get directions. It can't tell you when to turn like a turn GPS but it does give you turn by turn directions similar to what you'd get from the Google Maps website. You can also look up businesses in the area. On this app, is now my absolute favorite tool on my treo, more handy than email actually. I am sure iPhone's will be the same - with slick animations to boot.
post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Dear God has the time come where people have to start picking apart videos frame by frame? "If you examine very closely you can see the outline of Steve's @*%$ in his pants."

LOL

It seems like all this iPhone stuff is going a bit too far.
post #15 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post

LOL

It seems like all this iPhone stuff is going a bit too far.

its not even that bad yet. I welcome every bit of info I can get on it.
post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Google Maps on Treo also has traffic and directions but does it without GPS. You need to give it a zip code or address where you are and where you are going to get directions.

The GSM network can locate any mobile phone to within a few meters. You normally don't have access to that information on your phone, but Apple has managed to get special features added to the mailbox, so why not get that as well.

Anyway, even without that, each GSM network cell has its own ID. The phone knows what cell it is talking to and it could map that to the location of the cell, with the right database. Still more accurate than a ZIP-code and fully automatic.

There's no need to put a GPS in a mobile phone. Someone just needs to make good use of the technology that is already in place for the secret services.

MTT
post #17 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post

LOL It seems like all this iPhone stuff is going a bit too far.

You obviously haven't been on AppleInsider for long... 8)
post #18 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT View Post

The GSM network can locate any mobile phone to within a few meters. You normally don't have access to that information on your phone, but Apple has managed to get special features added to the mailbox, so why not get that as well.

Anyway, even without that, each GSM network cell has its own ID. The phone knows what cell it is talking to and it could map that to the location of the cell, with the right database. Still more accurate than a ZIP-code and fully automatic.

There's no need to put a GPS in a mobile phone. Someone just needs to make good use of the technology that is already in place for the secret services.

MTT

I learnt all this from watching 24. That and "tasking satellites" + CalTrans (traffic) cameras and stuff.
post #19 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Now where the hell is my iPhone bucketmonkey.

we need a bucket monkey thread...
post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

I heard about is that the iPhone can make perfectly crispy bacon. 15 of the 200 patents on the iPhone is that the bacon it makes is kosher, halal and vegan! How do they do it?

15.. pft.. im moving to Texas in a month.. and i have patents that go back to 1978 on how to make bacon... i'll show Apple.....




... AFTER they have sold 20 million
post #21 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Dear God has the time come where people have to start picking apart videos frame by frame? "If you examine very closely you can see the outline of Steve's @*%$ in his pants."

So, is he circumcised?
post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You obviously haven't been on AppleInsider for long... 8)

Actually... he registered 4 years before you.
post #23 of 61
Maybe the guy discovered some interesting things. But how pathetic is it that he just sits there examining every aspect of the keynote with a magnifying glass?


Get a Life! I mean, what's wrong with you people! For crying out loud, it's just an iPhone! I mean look you at you people! You've turned one little Keynote by Steve Jobs into a colosal waste of time! How old are you people!? What have you done with yourselves!!
post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

im moving to Texas in a month

Howdy, pardner,

I already live here in Houston! Are you going to come to Houston, Dallas, Austin, El Paso or what? By the way, don't call it "San Antone" -- they get snippy about that!

I see you are from N. Ireland. Here's a tip: if you go to a restaurant and order "tea," you're going to get iced tea. For what the rest of the world calls "tea," you have to call it "hot tea" in Texas.
post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

I see you are from N. Ireland. Here's a tip: if you go to a restaurant and order "tea," you're going to get iced tea. For what the rest of the world calls "tea," you have to call it "hot tea" in Texas.

And it's SWEET!

(at least for us true southerners it is )
post #26 of 61
Quote:
The briefly mentioned iPhone calendar application also has a plus-sign button for adding new events directly from the iPhone, heralding the first time an Apple device has permitted two-way updating for anything other than play counts or track ratings.

Um, my recollection is a little fuzzy... but wasn't there a little device named after some famous scientist guy that could do that a few years ago...??

post #27 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Actually... he registered 4 years before you.

Well, mm. Okay.
post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by floccus View Post

Um, my recollection is a little fuzzy... but wasn't there a little device named after some famous scientist guy that could do that a few years ago...??


That was when Apple was rainbow colored. This is the solid colored Apple Computer!
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

I heard about is that the iPhone can make perfectly crispy bacon. 15 of the 200 patents on the iPhone is that the bacon it makes is kosher, halal and vegan! How do they do it?

You're starting to sound like John Moltz.
post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

That was when Apple was rainbow colored. This is the solid colored Apple Computer!

Don't you mean that was the rainbow colored Apple Computer? Now we just have the solid silver Apple
post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

And it's SWEET!

(at least for us true southerners it is )

Only a few times do I get the choice "sweet" or "unsweet" (Not unsweetened, unsweet.)

And let's not forget that "y'all" can be the second person singular or plural (if confusion is possible, the speaker may use "all y'all" to indicate the plural.)

And let's not get started on "fixin' ta."
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post

You're starting to sound like John Moltz.

Who is John Moltz?

PS: I do know who John Galt is.
post #33 of 61
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #34 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Howdy, pardner,

I already live here in Houston! Are you going to come to Houston, Dallas, Austin, El Paso or what? By the way, don't call it "San Antone" -- they get snippy about that!

I see you are from N. Ireland. Here's a tip: if you go to a restaurant and order "tea," you're going to get iced tea. For what the rest of the world calls "tea," you have to call it "hot tea" in Texas.

Here's what else you can look forward to:

49th in per capita tax revenue raised;

50th in per capita state spending;

47th in average SAT scores;

50th in percentage of population over 25 with high school diploma;

1st in percentage of uninsured children;

1st in percentage of population without health insurance;

49th in percentage of women who vote;

1st in air pollution emissions;

1st in toxic chemicals released into water;

1st in cancer-causing carcinogens released into air;

44th in home ownership rate;

50th in electric bill affordability;

1st in number of executions;

1st in number of gun shows.

And, if you're retarded, and plan on "killing" someone (and getting caught), stay away. The state has no problem executing someone who's retarded!
post #35 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Here's what else you can look forward to:

49th in per capita tax revenue raised;

50th in per capita state spending;

47th in average SAT scores;

50th in percentage of population over 25 with high school diploma;

1st in percentage of uninsured children;

1st in percentage of population without health insurance;

49th in percentage of women who vote;

1st in air pollution emissions;

1st in toxic chemicals released into water;

1st in cancer-causing carcinogens released into air;

44th in home ownership rate;

50th in electric bill affordability;

1st in number of executions;

1st in number of gun shows.

And, if you're retarded, and plan on "killing" someone (and getting caught), stay away. The state has no problem executing someone who's retarded!

I notice you are from Louisiana. Where are you in these categories?
post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

I notice you are from Louisiana. Where are you in these categories?

Nope. By "LA", I actually mean "L.A.", as in Los Angeles -- more specifically Santa Monica.

But thanks for asking!
post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

more specifically Santa Monica.

So YOU'RE the one who voted against having America's Top Model ads taken off the sides of buses...

Shame on you.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Here's what else you can look forward to:

49th in per capita tax revenue raised;

50th in per capita state spending;

47th in average SAT scores;

50th in percentage of population over 25 with high school diploma;

1st in percentage of uninsured children;

1st in percentage of population without health insurance;

49th in percentage of women who vote;

1st in air pollution emissions;

1st in toxic chemicals released into water;

1st in cancer-causing carcinogens released into air;

44th in home ownership rate;

50th in electric bill affordability;

1st in number of executions;

1st in number of gun shows.

And, if you're retarded, and plan on "killing" someone (and getting caught), stay away. The state has no problem executing someone who's retarded!

And proud of everyone one of those.

I would like to give you a big Texas style shut the fuck up.

Who the fuck asked you to make comments about other peoples states?


Guess you were too stupid to come up with your own info as well

http://www.texasobserver.org/blog/?p=66#comments
post #39 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

Guess you were too stupid to come up with your own facts as well

Just a minor nitpick, but you don't "come up with your own facts." Facts are factsby definition, you don't make them up. There's no creative work involved.
post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Just a minor nitpick, but you don't "come up with your own facts." Facts are factsby definition, you don't make them up. There's no creative work involved.

thanks for the proof read. I posted that, shut off my computer, and realized the same mistake. Corrected.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Video unearths undisclosed iPhone features