or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Next-gen video iPod still a ways out, sources say

Next-gen video iPod still a ways out, sources say

post #1 of 63
Contrary to persistent rumor and speculation, Apple Inc. does not plan to introduce a sixth-generation of its flagship video iPod digital music player any time soon, AppleInsider has learned.

People consistently familiar with the iPod maker's future music directions say rough estimates for the new video and music player are tracking for the third calendar quarter of the year.

At the same time, however, other well-placed sources have approached specific time frames with caution, explaining that a mix of uncertainties -- in particular those relating to the roll-out of iPhone -- could leave consumers hung up till early next year.

Although Apple eventually intends to break widescreen video capabilities away from the iPhone for a device of similar proportions, sans the cellular capabilities, expectations of first-half 2007 launch are said to be overly ambitious.

Those people familiar with the matter say such a move would serve only to dilute the value of the iPhone and, similarly, the device's worth to wireless carrier AT&T. The findings are consistent with earlier AppleInsider reports, which placed bets against a standalone widescreen video iPod debut early in the year and prior to the company's Apple TV push.

Among the potential challenges believed to be facing Apple ahead of its sixth-generation iPod launch is a required margin of differentiation between the player and iPhone, both of which are expected to carry relatively similar price points upon availability.

Although the consumer electronics company has said its iPhone device will retail for $499 and $599 in 4-gig and 8-gig capacities, the real-world cost to consumers will inevitably fall about $200 for each model, be it through direct subsidization or complimentary wireless service packages.

In its ongoing quest for a preferred and precise iPhone pricing method, Apple last month enlisted the services of a prestigious management consulting firm specializing in go-to-market strategies. Among the firm's recommendations, people familiar with the matter say, were that Apple compel AT&T to give away service plans with each iPhone sale, maintaining the integrity of the device's higher price points.

Should all parties oblige, Apple would maintain a separation of price bands between its next-generation video iPod and its iPhones. However, in the event it take the direct subsidization route -- as a recent
post #2 of 63
It seems like Apple has learned from Motorola's business strategy mistakes with the RAZR phones and is being cautiously smart with pricing.
post #3 of 63
Quote:
At the same time, however, other well-placed sources have approached specific time frames with caution, explaining that a mix of uncertainties -- in particular those relating to the roll-out of iPhone -- could leave consumers hung up till early next year.

Umm... bollocks. They'll want the 6G touchscreen vidPod out in time for Xmas, come hell or high water.

The only real question is the price (well that and "will there be a flash version?"). Apple may try to milk it at the $399 and $499 pricepoints, at which point a lot of folks will go, "WTF? Only $100 less than iPhone, and there's no phone and no internet?" Early adopters and fanatics won't care, but everyone else will.

Whereas if it came out at $299 and $399 pricepoints, it would absolutely lay waste to everything else in the category. Guess we'll know in about 6-8 months...

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #4 of 63
At PodPacker we've said it all along. There is no way Apple will release a 6th gen iPod before the release of the iPhone and that there would be no way we would see one until the holidays.
NAND Flash memory prices will come down and make for some super slick iPod. Early adopters of Zune will be jumping out of Windows (pun intended).
Trade Your Used Music CDs for a Brand New Apple iPod
www.podpacker.com
Trade Your Used Music CDs for a Brand New Apple iPod
www.podpacker.com
post #5 of 63
apple has been gaining momentum because it has been offering a steady stream of cool stuff. however, the stream of software has kind of dried up, leaving many apple die-hards in need of an urgent fix. should apple make the mistake to bet the farm on the iphone, this might just blow up in their face. nobody is going to buy a $600 phone just to look at videos on a larger screen that the ipod! therre are some pretty good devices out there with a 30 gig hard drive and a 4 inch screen for way less money. steve not saying anything about when leapard, iwork and ilife 07 coming out is starting to get long in the tooth. hope he doesnt screw up the momentum he built up during the last 2 years by starving us to death for new gadgets.
post #6 of 63
Apple, if you think I will buy an iPhone to get widescreen video your are wrong!

Why do they think 8gigs of space for $500 equalls "video iPod"???
post #7 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by podpacker View Post

At PodPacker we've said it all along. There is no way Apple will release a 6th gen iPod before the release of the iPhone and that there would be no way we would see one until the holidays.
NAND Flash memory prices will come down and make for some super slick iPod. Early adopters of Zune will be jumping out of Windows (pun intended).

I'd believe that Apple would stick with the hard disk for the iPod Video. I also expect Apple to push their OSX Mobile Edition to the 6G iPod. 8)
post #8 of 63
Quote:

Early adopters of Zune will be jumping out of Windows (pun intended).

That is great! Excellent punwork!
post #9 of 63
Ehhh?? If Apple doesn't release something soon - it's ridiculous. Pretty soon, Joe Average is gonna realize that the emperor has no clothes, other than the iTunes interface. There are plenty of players out there with superior sound quality and screens. Even the new Sony video walkman trumps the iPod's vid play back features. And these days if Sony beats you, that's pretty lame.

And sorry, the iPhone won't cut it as a suitable substitute for those of us living outside the US.
post #10 of 63
What if Apple included 10 GB of FLASH memory, and another 80-120 GB HARD DRIVE memory?

Then, things that are played most often (higher play counts) would be automatically moved to the FLASH memory upon a sync with iTunes. Other data used less often would be stored on the HARD DRIVE. That way, one could still carry their whole movie/music collection but still be able to save on battery life when viewing/listening to the things they do most often...

Makes sense, no?
post #11 of 63
""WTF? Only $100 less than iPhone, and there's no phone and no internet?" Early adopters and fanatics won't care, but everyone else will."

Riiiight, just like the iPod Nano is a huge failure because no one but early adopters and fanatics will pay $199 for a Nano when they can get a video iPod for $249.
post #12 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Contrary to persistent rumor and speculation, Apple Inc. does not plan to introduce a sixth-generation of its flagship video iPod digital music player any time soon, AppleInsider has learned.

There's gonna be a whole lodda wailing and gnashing of teeth over this one, that's for sure!
post #13 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

""WTF? Only $100 less than iPhone, and there's no phone and no internet?" Early adopters and fanatics won't care, but everyone else will."

Riiiight, just like the iPod Nano is a huge failure because no one but early adopters and fanatics will pay $199 for a Nano when they can get a video iPod for $249.

Holy bad analogies, Batman! Nano is WAY smaller than the 5G vidPod, AND flash-based. Two big advantages that differentiate it from the 5G vidPod and prop up its sales.

Next! 8)

post #14 of 63
"Nano is WAY smaller than the 5G vidPod, AND flash-based. Two big advantages that differentiate it from the 5G vidPod and prop up its sales."

Yeah, that's why the high school kids buy the nano - they all walk around discussing the advantages of solid-state over magnetic memory.

Two reasons the nano is popular:

1. It's cheaper (even if the difference is marginal)
2. It's cuter

And those are the same two reasons that will push the sales of iPods priced $200-$300, iPhone or no iPhone.
post #15 of 63
Maybe this means Apple will work on new computers for a change. Pretty much all the models are due for an update.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

post #16 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

"Nano is WAY smaller than the 5G vidPod, AND flash-based. Two big advantages that differentiate it from the 5G vidPod and prop up its sales."

Yeah, that's why the high school kids buy the nano - they all walk around discussing the advantages of solid-state over magnetic memory.

No, but gym rats and joggers (like me) DO care if their iPod breaks. Lots of HD-based Minis did when used to work out lots. \

Quote:
Two reasons the nano is popular:

1. It's cheaper (even if the difference is marginal)

$50? Meh... maybe a little. Poor value for money though, if you care about storage/$ at all.

Quote:
2. It's cuter

Yeah... that's where the 'WAY smaller' part comes in. Glad you agree.

Quote:
And those are the same two reasons that will push the sales of iPods priced $200-$300, iPhone or no iPhone.

Re-read my initial post... I said that if the 6G iPod was priced at $299-399, it'd be a huge success. Again, glad you agree. 8)

post #17 of 63
Quote:

Its not unreasonable to expect a wide screen iPod to cost around $400.

Quote:
however, the stream of software has kind of dried up, leaving many apple die-hards in need of an urgent fix.

What are you talking about? Apple is working on new software. Are you really that eager to pay Apple more money?

Quote:
steve not saying anything about when leapard, iwork and ilife 07 coming out is starting to get long in the tooth. hope he doesnt screw up the momentum he built up during the last 2 years by starving us to death for new gadgets.

The people who write to internet lists are the only few sitting on pins and needles waiting for Leopard or iLife 07. The rest is the world is out actually living productive lives.

Quote:
there are some pretty good devices out there with a 30 gig hard drive and a 4 inch screen for way less money.

Get one of those and be happy.

Quote:
Pretty soon, Joe Average is gonna realize that the emperor has no clothes, other than the iTunes interface.

I doubt many people are worried about when Apple will give them the opportunity to drop another $200 to $300 for a new iPod. But we can clearly see how other mp3 players are quickly catching up to the iPod.

No they really aren't.

Quote:
There are plenty of players out there with superior sound quality and screens.

How do you qualify this superior sound quality? You trade screen size and quality for device size, weight and battery life. So there is some sacrifice either way.

Quote:
Even the new Sony video walkman trumps the iPod's vid play back features.

Exactly which features are those?
post #18 of 63
I don't think the iPod is losing much momentum. Using Amazon.com as a measuring stick,
the black 30GB and 80GB iPods (the most expensive iPods) have stayed in the top 4 electronics items, just like it was pre Xmas. The iPod nanos and shuffles have fallen off on the electronics charts, but Apple still dominates the mp3 player chart with the top 4, 7 of the top 10, 13 of the top 20. (Note the shuffle is now diluted with 5 models instead of just 1.) And the two SanDisk models in the top 10 are being sold at half-price.

So I don't think Apple feels any pressure to introduce something soon. Apple's margins on the iPods are huge and growing as flash prices and hard drive prices are rapidly dropping, so Apple can readily double flash capacities or bump up HD capacities if they feel the need to issue a boost in the coming months to carry them through to new fall models.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Umm... bollocks. They'll want the 6G touchscreen vidPod out in time for Xmas, come hell or high water.

The only real question is the price (well that and "will there be a flash version?"). Apple may try to milk it at the $399 and $499 pricepoints, at which point a lot of folks will go, "WTF? Only $100 less than iPhone, and there's no phone and no internet?" Early adopters and fanatics won't care, but everyone else will.

Whereas if it came out at $299 and $399 pricepoints, it would absolutely lay waste to everything else in the category. Guess we'll know in about 6-8 months...

What makes you think that Apple is going to RAISE the price of the iPod since you know ... they lowered it to $249 / $349 not too long ago. Even with the touchscreen, you're probably not going to see a price bump unless they absolutely have to. I don't think the public is going to take a price increase one of the most popular consumer electronics devices very well...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
post #20 of 63
I think we may see the top line iPods taking on more features but keeping the hd as they gain space. What I am thinking is the portable home folder idea that was rumored a while back. With say 100 gb on an iPod with a wide screen you can bring all your music videos and your home folder with you when you travel. This would differntiate fetaure wise the iPod nanos from the iPods
post #21 of 63
I'll tell you when the 6G iPod is coming out: September or October. Not sooner, not later.

Seriously, why did anyone think it would come out any sooner. Regardless of iPhone, Apple would want this product to fresh for Christmas, not Memorial Day.
Never Doubt Apple.
---------------------------

"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs
Never Doubt Apple.
---------------------------

"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs
post #22 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut222 View Post

I'll tell you when the 6G iPod is coming out: September or October. Not sooner, not later.

Seriously, why did anyone think it would come out any sooner. Regardless of iPhone, Apple would want this product to fresh for Christmas, not Memorial Day.

Exactly! I was about to say much the same thing.
post #23 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

What makes you think that Apple is going to RAISE the price of the iPod since you know ... ...Even with the touchscreen, you're probably not going to see a price bump unless they absolutely have to.

Because... it's... APPLE!!!

OMG, I never thought I'd hear in a million years someone doubting that Apple would raise a price when they could. And I say this as an Apple fan.

post #24 of 63
Apple will come out with a new iPod in October (like usual)...
post #25 of 63
I don't know why Apple is so sure that their iPhone is going to be such a mega-hit. I personally think it's going to be one of Apple's biggest flops in recent memory.

I only know one person who has even expressed interest in buying it, and even he said the price point is too high.

All of my colleagues and I use MULTIPLE 3rd-party apps on our Treo 650's (Pocket Quicken, FileMaker Pro, DirAsst, Vindigo, CityID, lots of games, and much more), and Apple has told all developers that there is no 3rd-party development opportunities available for the iPhone. Therefore, there is no reason for a consumer like myself and my colleagues to EVER buy an iPhone. Why would I spend $600 on a phone that doesn't even give me the ability to do what I can currently do on my phone?

In fact, I see very little reason for ANY consumer to spend so much money on a phone that doesn't even offer HALF the functionality of many of the phones on the market right now. The iPhone has:
- no vibrate mode
- no real keyboard that gives you tactile feedback
- no hot-swappable batteries
- no 3rd party apps nor games
- no built-in videocamera
- no "type ahead" feature to quickly find an address in your address book
- and much much more.

These are all VERY IMPORTANT features!

Not to mention the fact that most people hate Cingular! And their Internet prices are 10 times higher than Sprint's data rates! There's just way too much working against the iPhone for it to succeed.

Come on now, let's be honest for a moment -- now that all the hype has died down since Steve Jobs' reality distortion field at the MacWorld keynote, do you really know ANYBODY who is still clamoring for an iPhone? Nope, neither do I.

Sorry, but the iPhone is going to be a gigantic flop. Consumers aren't that stupid to plunk down that much money for a half-thought-out device like the iPhone.
post #26 of 63
You're going to feel very silly come June.
post #27 of 63
there are plenty of users out there who will be very upset if they cant fit their entire library on an ipod, for instance 60 or 80gb sizes. i just cant imagine apple cutting those out. the iphone is NOT an ipod substitute and therefore apple shouldnt treat it like one.

@scotty321: according to current surveys, you couldnt be more wrong. and ive had a lot of friends telling me they want one. you must live in cambodia.
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
post #28 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I don't know why Apple is so sure that their iPhone is going to be such a mega-hit. I personally think it's going to be one of Apple's biggest flops in recent memory.

I only know one person who has even expressed interest in buying it, and even he said the price point is too high.

All of my colleagues and I use MULTIPLE 3rd-party apps on our Treo 650's (Pocket Quicken, FileMaker Pro, DirAsst, Vindigo, CityID, lots of games, and much more), and Apple has told all developers that there is no 3rd-party development opportunities available for the iPhone. Therefore, there is no reason for a consumer like myself and my colleagues to EVER buy an iPhone. Why would I spend $600 on a phone that doesn't even give me the ability to do what I can currently do on my phone?

In fact, I see very little reason for ANY consumer to spend so much money on a phone that doesn't even offer HALF the functionality of many of the phones on the market right now. The iPhone has:
- no vibrate mode
- and much much more.

These are all VERY IMPORTANT features!

Not to mention the fact that most people hate Cingular! And their Internet prices are 10 times higher than Sprint's data rates! There's just way too much working against the iPhone for it to succeed.

Come on now, let's be honest for a moment -- now that all the hype has died down since Steve Jobs' reality distortion field at the MacWorld keynote, do you really know ANYBODY who is still clamoring for an iPhone? Nope, neither do I.

Sorry, but the iPhone is going to be a gigantic flop. Consumers aren't that stupid to plunk down that much money for a half-thought-out device like the iPhone.

The iPhone is very cool, and does make the phone much easier to use (according to the wonderful video demonstrations and the glowing accounts of those who have actually handled it).

However, Scotty321 has an excellent point: There are other things for phones to do besides be a phone, an internet device, and an ipod. The body of software that the Palm Developers have built is extremely large. Despite the interface problems, my Treo 650 does a lot of different things rather well. I am greatly looking forward to upgrading to an iPhone, however, I do not relish the idea of giving up the ability to read .doc, .xls and .ppt files and to edit .doc, .xls, .ppt files with A GODDAMNED STYLUS, bank with Quicken, trade stocks with Scott Trade, you get the idea. Overall capability is a HUGE issue, and yes it is way too early to know the full capabilities of iPhone, yes I am sure that iPhone will be expandable, but I'm not seeing that it is right now.

And another thing: Cingular. I don't know anyone in Indianapolis who's in a rapture that Cingular is their carrier; quite the opposite. Those who no longer are with Cingular will never, ever go back. Ever. Those with Cingular are wailing and gnashing their teeth and imploring time to speed up so that they can escape their Plans. My wife had Cingular on her phone, I had/have Verizon on mine and we'd lose connections constantly. Fraking constantly! I got her a Treo650 with Verizon and now we NEVER lose connections.

Back to Cingular? Goddamnit all to Goddamned, Goddamned Hell, those bastards better have their Goddamned act together.

And what is the plan with the iPhone? $599 for the phone that I want and what is the plan exactly?

V/R,

Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #29 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

- no vibrate mode

Yes, it does.

Quote:

No, it has a faster, non-space-consuming keyboard. Did you complain when you couldn't jam a VHS tape into a DVD player, too?

Quote:

Do you or anyone you know spend 5 hours a day on a cell phone? Do you feel that these three insane people in the world are a large enough segment that Apple will feel the hurt for alienating them?

Quote:

Says who?

The SDK isn't going to be freely available, that doesn't mean that there's no third party software.

Quote:

Says who? That's three things that you've completely made up now.

Quote:

Now you're just stretching. This is ridiculous. Have you even seen the demo?

Quote:
- and much much more.

I take that back. NOW you're stretching.

So, all in all, you've pulled three non-existant flaws out of your ass, two useless artifacts of the past that the iPhone has obsolesced, and now "much much more." I can't wait to find out what great problems it has to face now.
post #30 of 63
I love when people say their are missing features on the thing when its not even out yet and only a handfull of people have actually played with it.

And I dont need a wide-screen iPod. I will have one on my iPhone.

Quote:
All of my colleagues and I use MULTIPLE 3rd-party apps on our Treo 650's

Your Treo's are kinda like the ugly geek kids in school that get straight A's but dont get any girls or attention.

The iPhone is the popular cute guy in school that may not have all the smarts of the geek kids, but gets by and gets all the girls and attention.

Thats how I sum up why the iPhone is going to be a hit. May not have all the "geek" features, but is still badass and looks cool so people will buy it.
post #31 of 63
1. Scotty: Jobs has said that Apple will retain tight control over third party app developers for the iPhone (only approved developers and apps will be allowed), NOT THAT THIRD PART APPS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED. Granted, this will eliminate thousands of crappy and useless apps (and some useful ones) that are available on other phones, but that is the point.

2. No vibrate function? Have you used an iPhone? Why don't we wait until the thing actually ships before we start making assumptions about what the phone does/does not have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries 1B View Post

And another thing: Cingular. I don't know anyone in Indianapolis who's in a rapture that Cingular is their carrier

Cingular will cease to exist over the next few months. AT&T is the company that you want to start thinking about.
post #32 of 63
what i wish for christmas

the iPhone separated into a tiny iPhone nano and a wide screen, super slim, flash memory vPod

and i, like many others, will pay whatever the retail price is\
post #33 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonstk View Post

IWhat I am thinking is the portable home folder idea that was rumored a while back. With say 100 gb on an iPod with a wide screen you can bring all your music videos and your home folder with you when you travel.

You could be right but I see a slight problem. Apple dropped firewire from the iPods a while back. Is USB 2 really good for shifting tens of GB in one go? As I understand it the peak speed of USB can seem high but it can't be sustained as with firewire.

I would like to see firewire make a come back as my Powerbook Ti doesn't have USB 2.
post #34 of 63
Quote:
could leave consumers hung up till early next year

Apple would be nucking futs to wait that long. The current iPod form factor (introduced in October 2005 or so) will look rather old by this time next year and Apple would likely be losing market share. If they really wait that long. Q3 this year is stretching it already IMHO.

There are more and more music players out (or out soon) with lovely big screens. Like the iRiver Clix 2 with its active matrix OLED screen. Same size as the current iPod, but lots bigger screen.

While the iPhone has a bigger screen it is not suited for video with its 4/8GB, some of which already being lost to the OS. And I doubt people would buy an iPhone just to watch photos or TV shows.
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Apple would be nucking futs to wait that long. The current iPod form factor (introduced in October 2005 or so) will look rather old by this time next year and Apple would likely be losing market share. If they really wait that long. Q3 this year is stretching it already IMHO.

There are more and more music players out (or out soon) with lovely big screens. Like the iRiver Clix 2 with its active matrix OLED screen. Same size as the current iPod, but lots bigger screen.

While the iPhone has a bigger screen it is not suited for video with its 4/8GB, some of which already being lost to the OS. And I doubt people would buy an iPhone just to watch photos or TV shows.

most of the competitors still havent caught up to the first gen iPod.
post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by umijin View Post

E There are plenty of players out there with superior sound quality...

Could someone please enlighten me please. I frequently read statements like this about just about every other MP3 player on the market - if you believe some people - having better sound quality than the iPod.

Are these opinions based on assessments of the sound quality coming out of the iPod itself or the sound quality coming out of the supplied earbuds?

I am really mystified by this. I have a 3rd gen iPod. I never used the supplied earbuds - sold em on eBay - because I have a pair of good headphones and a fairly decent Hi-Fi.

To my ears, the iPod playing high bit rate tracks (192 < kbps) through the main Hi-Fi, is indistiguishable in sound quality from my CD player.

I have ripped tracks off CDs at various bit rates and loaded them on the iPod, then played back the original CD tracks, synchronised in time with the playback on the iPod. My pre-amp lets me balance the volume of inputs so when you switch from one source to another the perceived sound level is the same.

When I do all this I can use the remote to switch between CD player and iPod and can compare the exact same bit of music from the two sources.

So this is why I do not understand people who knock the iPods sound quality. To my ears it is so good I have almost given up listening to CDs and mainly use the iPod because it is so much more convenient and flexible.

Could it be that 4th and 5th gen iPods are not as good, or are people - as I suspect - really just rating the earbud sound quality?
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

Yes. But all they need is a window of opportunity. One 'killer feature' that might persuade a good number of people to buy their product instead. And IMHO a bright, big screen is such a feature. Apple might lose market share by missing the boat again. As they have done with CD burners where Apple thought consumers would rather prefer DVD players than CD burners. They can be stupid at times.
post #38 of 63
@ all of the iPhone naysayers rergarding imagined or real missing features.

I just want a phone that is intuitive and not complicated. The iPhone offers all of that and more and (for the inner child in all of us) it's way cool.

Before the iphone was announced I decided to look at smart phones as a replacement for my Verizon V810. They all sucked - way too confusing to use - small keyboards - hard to dial number pads (even worse in poor lighting. All in all, not very user friendly.

The iPhone is the right phone at the right time.
DYK
DYK
post #39 of 63
iPhone for me? Maybe, but I guess I am that rare one who dose not care about music or video on it. I want an iPod for music only wide screen or otherwise that holds 100 to 200 GB of music so I can take 25-35 thousand songs with me Anywhere. The iPhone and wireless is fine for communication, but music?
post #40 of 63
Quote:

There is no way Apple will release a 6th gen iPod before the release of the iPhone and that there would be no way we would see one until the holidays.

The've released or updated iPods in the Sept / Oct time frame pretty often. I think it might be because the device needs to generate a little buzz so that the general public learns about them. That's about three months, which I think is fine. It seems as if Apple releases or updates a couple products every one to three months to keep their name in the buzz and on ink, it's a mind share thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnazg View Post

What if Apple included 10 GB of FLASH memory, and another 80-120 GB HARD DRIVE memory?

Then, things that are played most often (higher play counts) would be automatically moved to the FLASH memory upon a sync with iTunes. Other data used less often would be stored on the HARD DRIVE. That way, one could still carry their whole movie/music collection but still be able to save on battery life when viewing/listening to the things they do most often...

No, I don't think so anyway. It would have the cost of flash and the unreliability of the 1.8" hard drives, with added complexity to boot. I will grant that there's an outside chance that they might make them entirely flash or offer an all-flash model. I do now remember when they first released the nano, it costed about as much as its retail equivalent in flash memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

I think that's blatant fanboyism, because you are focusing on a certain aspect of the product, a subjective one at that. That said, I'm not convinced that OLED is ready yet, I haven't heard of any breakthroughs in the operational life of OLED.

Quote:
Your Treo's are kinda like the ugly geek kids in school that get straight A's but dont get any girls or attention.

The iPhone is the popular cute guy in school that may not have all the smarts of the geek kids, but gets by and gets all the girls and attention.

Thats how I sum up why the iPhone is going to be a hit. May not have all the "geek" features, but is still badass and looks cool so people will buy it.

I think calling on "cool factor" is generally tantamount to calling it a fad object, so it's probably not something you want to argue. That said, "cool factor" hasn't been shown to be a major reason that the iPod has been a big seller.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Next-gen video iPod still a ways out, sources say