or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Hillary: Southern Belle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hillary: Southern Belle

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
http://www.ifilm.com/profile/breitbart/video/2829104


LOL


At first I thought it was much ado about nothing....she was making a crack at the beginning, or so it seems. But then the drawl goes on. Yeah...it's from Drudge. Deal with it.

This is as bad as Dukakis's Tank Moment. Ya Reckon?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #2 of 64
Heaven forbid a Republican ever assumed that black people attending ever spoke in a certain manner. They'd probably already be in prison for hate thought.

I think this is just an election ploy. Obviously Hillary is trying to prove she is more "authentically black" than Obama.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #3 of 64
Thread Starter 
I'm counting down until someone references Bush's apparent drawl when speaking to sotherners.

3

2

1...
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #4 of 64
I think they will probably question whether Bush is authentically black too.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #5 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Heaven forbid a Republican ever assumed that black people attending ever spoke in a certain manner. They'd probably already be in prison for hate thought.

I think this is just an election ploy. Obviously Hillary is trying to prove she is more "authentically black" than Obama.

Nick


She is married to the first black man to be President.
"some catch on faster than others"
Reply
"some catch on faster than others"
Reply
post #6 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'm counting down until someone references Bush's apparent drawl when speaking to sotherners.

3

2

1...

I find all white politicians speaking to African American brethren embarrassing.

Only ones I have ever seen pull it off was:

Robert F. Kennedy
Jimmy Carter
And.................(wait for it).......................Bill Clinton.

Yes, Bush is a total ass. Just watch his speeches down in Louisiana concerning Katrina.

..."Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch. (Laughter.)"
post #7 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Only ones I have ever seen pull it off was:

Clinton pulled it off because he "has it." Oh, and people are stupid.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Clinton pulled it off because he "has it." Oh, and people are stupid.

Who are these "people" you claim to be stupid?
post #9 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Who are these "people" you claim to be stupid?

Anyone that actually believed Clinton gave a shit about blacks, the poor, women, hispanics and the disadvantaged.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Anyone that actually believed Clinton gave a shit about blacks, the poor, women, hispanics and the disadvantaged.

You can say the same (VOLUMES) for Bush too.
post #11 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'm counting down until someone references Bush's apparent drawl when speaking to sotherners.

3

2

1...

"Apparent"? I hope ya'll ahr still countn. Keep carrying that water son.
post #12 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

You can say the same (VOLUMES) for Bush too.


There's a key difference. Whether he cares or not, he doesn't go around pretending to care more than he actually does....pretending to "feel your pain" and what not. Secondly, can you ever discuss anything without bringing up Bush?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

There's a key difference. Whether he cares or not, he doesn't go around pretending to care more than he actually does....pretending to "feel your pain" and what not.

Baloney. Bush puts on the facade of concern for people his doesn't really care about as much as any other politician.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Secondly, can you ever discuss anything without bringing up Bush?

You brought him up by the 3rd post. Geez.
post #14 of 64
"Secondly, can you ever discuss anything without bringing up Bush?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post
I'm counting down until someone references Bush's apparent drawl when speaking to sotherners.

3

2

1...

post #15 of 64
Me and the rest of the world would like to think that any President in history would have made a better job of protecting and saving US citizens after Katrina - than Bush (and his Kronies).


Whether they 'pretended to care' or 'didn't really care' or something else..
post #16 of 64
I just don't think people care about these kinds of attacks anymore.

They're a little wearisome.
post #17 of 64
Good to see that Matt Drudge did his duty for the GOP and drove the mainstream media narrative away from Ann Coulter and toward the real enemy ... Hillary. Because using a "drawl" is FAR worse than calling a presidential candidate a "Faggot" in front of another presidential candidate.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #18 of 64
You can always rely on the water carriers to grab something from Drudge and run with it. Can't think for themselves, but they're very well coordinated. Gotta give them props for that.
post #19 of 64
I dunno. I grew up in Alabama, not a native but moved there as a kid. After living outside the South for the last 20 odd years I have little to no Southern accent when talking to non-Southerners. When talking to Southerners (or people who speak like Southerners, which is often the case with African-Americans) I find myself drifting into "ya'll" and dropping gees and using phrases like "he ought'nt not have done that". And when I'm actually in the South, forget it. I go full drawl. It's like putting on an old comfortable pair of jeans, and a sort of acknowledgment of being where I am and who I am with.

I wouldn't underestimate the sense of camaraderie that Southerners, even adoptive Southerners (or even most especially adoptive Southerners) feel when speaking among themselves in the language of their peoples.

I know it comes off as pandering or play-acting, and maybe it is, but it doesn't have to be.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #20 of 64
A Clinton? Fraudulent? Surely you jest!
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #21 of 64
You know what'd be awesome? If she were quoting something. Maybe, you know, a hymn. And if Drudge took it completely out of context, ignoring, first of all, that SHE LIVED IN ARKANSAS FOR 17 YEARS and second THAT SHE WAS QUOTING SOMETHING.

Jesus Christ. I don't care much for either Clinton's politics, but you people who latched on to this, I have one question: don't you have anything better to do? I mean, I understand that you don't want to talk about things that matter, because you've been so friggin' wrong about everything the politicians you're carrying water for have touched that you'll just wind up cowering in the corner crying like babies.

But come on. Edwards is a faggot? Clinton does a shitty fake Southern drawl? Is this the best you have?

20 people died in Iraq today, and 9 in Kabul.

God almighty. Why does anyone pay any attention to you people?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

using phrases like "he ought'nt not have done that"

ustabe we'd just say "he ought not uh done that."

Alabama boy.

And I feel your pain. Five minutes on the phone with my mother, and I start pronouncing "on" in a way that is indistinguishable from "own." And good lord. I get half my family up here Sunday. It'll take weeks for the drawl to work its way out. (My family, on the other hand, sound so much like parodies of Southerners that one server at a local deli thought my step-mother was joking when she ordered a "Number fow-uhr".)

The odd thing? If someone asks me to say something with a Southern accent, what comes out is completely fake.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

You know what'd be awesome? If she were quoting something. Maybe, you know, a hymn. And if Drudge took it completely out of context, ignoring, first of all, that SHE LIVED IN ARKANSAS FOR 17 YEARS and second THAT SHE WAS QUOTING SOMETHING.

Jesus Christ. I don't care much for either Clinton's politics, but you people who latched on to this, I have one question: don't you have anything better to do? I mean, I understand that you don't want to talk about things that matter, because you've been so friggin' wrong about everything the politicians you're carrying water for have touched that you'll just wind up cowering in the corner crying like babies.

But come on. Edwards is a faggot? Clinton does a shitty fake Southern drawl? Is this the best you have?

20 people died in Iraq today, and 9 in Kabul.

God almighty. Why does anyone pay any attention to you people?

... but with how the left wails about how much Bush deceived everyone about everything imaginable, I think the issue of even the Mighty Mrs. Bill Clinton trying to appear as something she is not IS relevant. Maybe taking a page from the Dubya- he's a northeastern Yale royal that's all hat and no cattle.

Let's just keep the same standard, shall we? Or should we just give her a pass because "we have nothing better to do." She's running for president... and as hubby Bill never learned, character matters.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #24 of 64
Aww. That's cute. Someone's got a case of BOTH "But Bill Clinton!" AND "THE LEFT DID..."

Wanna talk about how Clinton is a New England liberal elite (by way of 17 years in Arkansas) masquerading as a woman of the people? Fine. I'm all for it. I'll join in the pile. Maybe while we're all getting gay to save us from the future people who are coming to take our jobs, someone will call someone else a faggot and we can all have a good laugh.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Aww. That's cute. Someone's got a case of BOTH "But Bill Clinton!" AND "THE LEFT DID..."

Wanna talk about how Clinton is a New England liberal elite (by way of 17 years in Arkansas) masquerading as a woman of the people? Fine. I'm all for it. I'll join in the pile. Maybe while we're all getting gay to save us from the future people who are coming to take our jobs, someone will call someone else a faggot and we can all have a good laugh.

With forgiveness to your condescending tone... I'm sorry you have to accept what happened to the Democratic party in the 90s. It's truly a shame. Just like many of us have to deal with what became of the Republicans from 2000-now. Clinton failed the left, Bush failed the right, but we are all still here fighting each other, aren't we? We keep fighting each other while they keep going to the bank.

Clinton is masquerading as a woman of the people. She's not any more "of the people" than Dubya.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

With forgiveness to your condescending tone... I'm sorry you have to accept what happened to the Democratic party in the 90s. It's truly a shame. Just like many of us have to deal with what became of the Republicans from 2000-now. Clinton failed the left, Bush failed the right, but we are all still here fighting each other, aren't we? We keep fighting each other while they keep going to the bank.

Clinton is masquerading as a woman of the people. She's not any more "of the people" than Dubya.

I agree on all points aside from the slight complaint about my condescension. I will continue to mock whoever deserves it, and "BUT BILL CLINTON!" deserves nothing but contempt. Especially when I said I didn't care for the Clintons' politics. But any individual who admits that he carried water for politicians he didn't believe in deserves nothing but repudiation. And individuals who can posit nothing beyond "Edwards is a faggot" do not deserve to be taken seriously AT ALL. Individuals who take Clinton's shitty speech out of context do not deserve to be taken seriously.

But yes. Clinton's strategy of triangulation brought the Democratic party to the edge of the abyss. The left wing of it is fighting to bring it back (the DLC should be taken to the nearest boat and shipped off to wherever is uncomfortable). And you are correct that Bush has done the same for the right. This presidency has been an absolute disaster, and anyone who argues otherwise does not deserve to be taken seriously. What makes matters worse for Bush is that I'm increasingly coming to believe that "incompetence" is actually a fallback position for when their policies fail.

I just want to talk about ISSUES. And this Clinton bad-southern-accent-thing is not an issue.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #27 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I agree on all points aside from the slight complaint about my condescension. I will continue to mock whoever deserves it, and "BUT BILL CLINTON!" deserves nothing but contempt. Especially when I said I didn't care for the Clintons' politics. But any individual who admits that he carried water for politicians he didn't believe in deserves nothing but repudiation. And individuals who can posit nothing beyond "Edwards is a faggot" do not deserve to be taken seriously AT ALL. Individuals who take Clinton's shitty speech out of context do not deserve to be taken seriously.

But yes. Clinton's strategy of triangulation brought the Democratic party to the edge of the abyss. The left wing of it is fighting to bring it back (the DLC should be taken to the nearest boat and shipped off to wherever is uncomfortable). And you are correct that Bush has done the same for the right. This presidency has been an absolute disaster, and anyone who argues otherwise does not deserve to be taken seriously. What makes matters worse for Bush is that I'm increasingly coming to believe that "incompetence" is actually a fallback position for when their policies fail.

I just want to talk about ISSUES. And this Clinton bad-southern-accent-thing is not an issue.

If it's just an affectation, as some claim, it is no issue. I agree. But I've grown weary of the she-Clinton trying to appear to be what she is not... just as those of us down here in Texas know that Bush would not know the first thing to do on a horse before he became governor. Hillary has to swing left to get the nom, then swing center to get the office. Just like Bush and the right. At least to Bush's credit, he did in office almost exactly what he said he would, and did not get elected on someone else's platform.

Coulter is an idiot. She and Al Franken should be both thrown under the bus. There is no reason to defend the indefensible. Maybe we can get Biden to certify him a "Clean" gay. Who knows.

How about mocking no one and seeing where others are coming from? Just an idea...
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #28 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

I've grown weary of the she-Clinton

...

How about mocking no one and seeing where others are coming from? Just an idea...

Tell you what: I won't mock you if you don't refer to a sitting Senator as "the she-Clinton" while calling for a bit of decorum in political discussions.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Tell you what: I won't mock you if you don't refer to a sitting Senator as "the she-Clinton" while calling for a bit of decorum in political discussions.

Indeed Ms. Clinton is both. A "She" as well as a Clinton. Is there a way you'd prefer I address the Junior Senator from New York?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #30 of 64
Midwinter: don't you find that's there's actually a state of mind that comes with letting yourself slide into the drawl? It's like the phrases that come so naturally in Southern are coming from a different place.

When you say things like "Ah hell, ah dunno, seem lak he got sumpin stuck in his craw" it's just easier on the digestion than "that fucker sure does have a stick up his ass".

I think that's why it's so easy to go there, when you're speaking Southern all of a sudden you're all kind of accepting of life's curve balls and odd balls and just generally are kicking back and taking the long view. Shit, now that I think about it I sure could use a Southerner to follow me around to talk to. Then instead of going bugged-eyed and screaming "Shit! We are totally fucked now! What the fuck where we thinking?!" I could turn to Southern companion and say "Shit, this here's fixin to get rat ugly, I reckon we better start drinkin, see if we can beat it there."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Indeed Ms. Clinton is both. A "She" as well as a Clinton. Is there a way you'd prefer I address the Junior Senator from New York?

Senator Clinton?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Senator Clinton?

*YawnI* Oh, OK. If it makes everyone happy. I guess I'm trying hard to get out of denial and into negotiation...
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #33 of 64
Oh, and this reflexive thing of wanting to pair someone like Coulter up with someone like Franken to cast a pox on both their houses just doesn't make any sense.

I realize many are determined to see the excesses of right-wing rhetoric as a mirror image of the excesses of left-wing rhetoric, but it's actually not true.

As in this case, I can't imagine there is a single thing in the record of Al Franken's utterances that remotely resembles the tone or intent of calling a candidate for President a "faggot", much less resembling the rest of Coulter's sorry track record of broad attacks on pretty much everybody left of the clan.

It would require Franken to saying something along the lines of "people who live in the midwest are so fucking stupid they should be sterilized to keep them from breeding" or "the thing about Republicans is that they jerk off to pictures of maimed babies a lot so it makes them blind, which is probably fortunate since there women are so amazingly ugly".

And the right would go so absolutely fucking berserk that Franken would be lucky if he got to work at a Foot Locker.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #34 of 64
Ann Coulter is invited to speak at every major GOP event for candidates and funraising.

She has a history of calling Muslims "ragheads". She's inferred that liberals should be rounded up and put into box cars. She's advocated for the assassination of a sitting president. She just called a major presidential candidate a "faggot".

And conservatives could care less.

But that she-bitch Clinton. A southerner. How DARE she speak with a drawl. Fucking liberals.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh, and this reflexive thing of wanting to pair someone like Coulter up with someone like Franken to cast a pox on both their houses just doesn't make any sense.

I realize many are determined to see the excesses of right-wing rhetoric as a mirror image of the excesses of left-wing rhetoric, but it's actually not true.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that every time there's a school shooting, the NRA gleefully rubs its hands together anticipating the money they'll raise.

I'm also pretty sure that every time a soldier dies in Iraq, Republicans foam at the mouth over how they can use it to make Democrats look bad.

I'm also also pretty sure that the Republicans actually want the terrorists to keep killing American soldiers because it helps them in '08.

You mean like that?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #36 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkmeister View Post

Baloney. Bush puts on the facade of concern for people his doesn't really care about as much as any other politician.




You brought him up by the 3rd post. Geez.

No I didn't. I asked HOW LONG it would take for someone to bring that up. I disagree with your first statement.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #37 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

You know what'd be awesome? If she were quoting something. Maybe, you know, a hymn. And if Drudge took it completely out of context, ignoring, first of all, that SHE LIVED IN ARKANSAS FOR 17 YEARS and second THAT SHE WAS QUOTING SOMETHING.

Jesus Christ. I don't care much for either Clinton's politics, but you people who latched on to this, I have one question: don't you have anything better to do? I mean, I understand that you don't want to talk about things that matter, because you've been so friggin' wrong about everything the politicians you're carrying water for have touched that you'll just wind up cowering in the corner crying like babies.

But come on. Edwards is a faggot? Clinton does a shitty fake Southern drawl? Is this the best you have?

20 people died in Iraq today, and 9 in Kabul.

God almighty. Why does anyone pay any attention to you people?

Your point about Iraq conceded, I have to take issue with the "quotation" argument. She WAS quoting, but then she started just "speaking" like that. Did you listen? And really...why use that accent? It was fucking ridiculous.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post


And conservatives could care less.

Um, no. Sorry. Incorrect. Many conservatives have blasted her as well. She's feeling the distance. I would not say that conservatives have "circled the wagons" for her as they used to do for GWB. Many of us are glad to throw her under the bus, really. Such a liability. She's a caricature, like Limbaugh, Franken, and the like. To claim that they represent the common wisdom of a complex ideology is shockingly black and white for "gray area" nuanced liberals.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #39 of 64
Don't doubt for one second that any of this will result in her not appearing at events such as these in the future. Sure, they might find her radioactive for six months. But by the time the election gets in full swing in late '08 she'll be featured prominently on Fox News, CNN and ABC as a commentator (your GOPTV tri-fecta) collecting her usual appearance stipend and speaking regularly at GOP events raising money.

This won't be the last Republican sponsored event that she'll say something dumbfoundingly stupid at. She'll probably have yet another lame book to sell and saying something over-the-top is de rigeur for Coulter to get those book sales pumping.

And you guys will continue defending her. Count on it.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Your point about Iraq conceded, I have to take issue with the "quotation" argument. She WAS quoting, but then she started just "speaking" like that. Did you listen? And really...why use that accent? It was fucking ridiculous.

I agree that it sounded pretty dumb and that she ought not have done it. So. A woman running for president is guilty of having adopted a really, really, REALLY shitty Southern accent. OMG STOP THE PRESSES!!!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Hillary: Southern Belle