or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases iTunes 7.1, QuickTime 7.1.5, more

Apple releases iTunes 7.1, QuickTime 7.1.5, more

post #1 of 69
Apple Inc. on Monday delivered a new version of its iTunes media software that bundles support for the company's upcoming Apple TV media hub. The update was also accompanied by new version of QuickTime that contains several security fixes.

iTunes 7.1

"Using iTunes 7.1, you can now enjoy your favorite iTunes movies, TV shows, music, and more from the comfort of your living room with Apple TV," Apple said in a brief set of release notes accompanying the new release.

The Cupertino-based company added that iTunes 7.1 also supports a new full screen Cover Flow and improved sorting options that let users decide how iTunes should sort favorite artists, albums, and songs.

The update is available as a 28MB download for Mac users and 36.1MB download for Windows users.

QuickTime 7.1.5

At the same time, Apple also issued QuickTime 7.1.5, which delivers numerous bug fixes and addresses critical security issues.

Specifically, the release patches eight vulnerabilities in which opening images of various file types could lead to arbitrary code execution and/or an application crash.

For each instance, Apple said it successfully addressed the issue by performing additional validation checks on the respective image files.

QuickTime 7.1.5 is available as a 41.4MB download for Mac users and an 18.6MB download for Windows users.

AppleInsider had previously reported on the imminent release of both iTunes 7.1 and QuickTimes 7.1.5.

DVD Studio Pro 4.1.2 and Backup 3.1.1

Late last week, Apple also issued quiet updates to its DVD Studio Pro and Backup applications.

According to the company, the 9.9MB DVD Studio Pro 4.1.2 update provides important bug fixes and addresses compatibility issues with DVD Studio Pro 4.1 HD DVD projects and Toshiba HD DVD players.

The update, which is recommended for all DVD Studio Pro 4.1 users, also updates the Disc Description Protocol (DDP) 2.1 to DDP 3.0 and the Cutting Master Format (CMF) 1.0 to CMF 2.0, which is required for HD DVD replication.

Meanwhile, the 5.5MB Backup 3.1.1 update is listed as "highly recommended for all users of Backup 3."

The release address several areas of the Backup application, including "Backup and restore with external drives," "Memory management," and "Restore of bundled file types."
post #2 of 69
No VISTA support... Hmm... Apple is being quite bold.
post #3 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

That's the first thing I checked for too. Grumble!
post #4 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

Isn't there an iTunes patch for Vista?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 69
My update works fine.. However, when I go into full screen coverflow, a think black diagonal line runs the length of all of the album artwork... The line disappears in normal sized coverflow... ANyone else notice this?
post #6 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Isn't there an iTunes patch for Vista?

Yeah. The weird thing is that iTunes worked perfectly with Vista Beta 2, RC1 and RC2 (while Zune didn't). Microsoft broke it with the release version. It still works but with glitches.
post #7 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

My update works fine.. However, when I go into full screen coverflow, a think black diagonal line runs the length of all of the album artwork... The line disappears in normal sized coverflow... ANyone else notice this?

No problems here
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #8 of 69
The DVD Studio Pro update was alrady in place as part of the Final Cut Suite update. It gets kind of confusing when theres a fairly large gap between the Suite updates and the individual product updates. You'd think they colud all come out at the same time.
post #9 of 69
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305042

"Apple has released a new version of iTunes that addresses a number of compatibility issues with Windows Vista. iTunes 7.1 is recommended for use with most editions of Windows Vista, however, Apple is actively working with Microsoft to resolve a few remaining known issues."

:d
post #10 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

No problems here

I don't think it's a problem per se, but are you sure yours doesn't have this also? It is not super noticeable, just a very thin black diagonal line that divides the artwork in full screen coverflow mode..
post #11 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

No problems here

Okay, looks like not everyone is having this issue, but there are others at the Apple discussions forum who also have the thin black diagonal line bug... Not a huge issue, but it is annoying.. Hopefully a fix will come soon.
post #12 of 69
I don't see anything out of the ordinary. When you get time post a screenshot of the line. I could be just blind.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #13 of 69
It's Monday. Tomorrow's Tuesday.

Ahem, The Beatles (fortified with extra-strength FairPlay!!).
post #14 of 69
How's the Apply Sort Field function works?
I can't see any difference...
post #15 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpoon View Post

As an example it allows you to sort Weird Al Yankovic by "W", rather than by the quotation marks in "Weird Al".
post #16 of 69
Might this be a precursor to Ireland's magical MacTablet?...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

As an example it allows you to sort Weird Al Yankovic by "W", rather than by the quotation marks in "Weird Al".

I sorted my Artist column and "Weird Al" Yankovic is at the top.... I don't see a difference
post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

I sorted my Artist column and "Weird Al" Yankovic is at the top.... I don't see a difference

If you do a get-info on a single "Weird Al" Yankovic track, you'll see there is a new tab in the info window labelled "sorting". Select that tab, and there are a number of new "tags" (presumably these are stored in iTunes' database file rather than in each individual file's tags) for sorting purposes only. If you put "Weird Al", without the quotes, into the "sort artist" field, then the track will be sorted with the Ws when you sort by artist.

Annoyingly, it would seem you cannot edit the "sort" tags of multiple tracks all at once. You have to edit each file individually. At least the info window has a "next" button.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #19 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

If you do a get-info on a single "Weird Al" Yankovic track, you'll see there is a new tab in the info window labelled "sorting". Select that tab, and there are a number of new "tags" (presumably these are stored in iTunes' database file rather than in each individual file's tags) for sorting purposes only. If you put "Weird Al", without the quotes, into the "sort artist" field, then the track will be sorted with the Ws when you sort by artist.

Annoyingly, it would seem you cannot edit the "sort" tags of multiple tracks all at once. You have to edit each file individually. At least the info window has a "next" button.

oooh. i see. That's a weird feature. I guess it's good to have though. I'll add a sort for my weird al artists (one by one). But realistically, I don't think I'll ever use this feature again.
post #20 of 69
The diagonal black line used to happen to me in regular coverflow view until I upgraded video cards. Now I don't get it. Haven't check with this new itunes though.
post #21 of 69
QuickTime component for Casio EXLIM camera still broken.
post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

The diagonal black line used to happen to me in regular coverflow view until I upgraded video cards. Now I don't get it. Haven't check with this new itunes though.

What video card did you have before you upgraded? I have the stock Radeon 9000 pro that came with the PowerMac G4 dual 1.25.

The strange thing about this is the line only appears in full screen mode... Someone posted a pic of this issue in the Apple discussion forums.. Here's the link to his pic, my issue looks identical.

http://www.linville.org/resources/it..._blackline.png
post #23 of 69
I had a different problem. The TV shows I had ripped into iTunes were sorted by show, and season and episode like this:

Under "INFO"
Name = Episode 101 - Death has a Shadow

Under "Video"
TV Show = Family Guy
Season = 1
Episode ID = Death has a Shadow
Episode # = 101

iTunes used to put all of one type of show together, then arrange by season, then arrange by name (which had an increasin episode number), now, I just get it to group shows and seasons and it jumbled up all my episode numbers in a season. Anyone else have this and / or know how to fix it?

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

post #24 of 69
My PowerBook G4 runs hot after installing iTunes 7.1
the iStat Pro shows the CPU is around 55 degree celcius?, before it's just around 28 degree celcius
iTunes is in Cover Flow mode (not full-screen)
anyone got the same problem?
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I also thought this was annoying, but I knew they had to have a solution for that. Here is how you apply that change to all the tracks of an artist. I'll go with the example of "Weird Al" Yankovic, although I have none myself:

Select a single "Weird Al" track
get info
go to the sorting tab
here you see the Artist as "Weird Al" Yankovic, next to that under Sorting Artist, type Weird Al Yankovic, press OK.
Now for the trick, Right-Click the file you just edited, which will have moved to it's new sort location.
At the bottom of the contextual menu is a new menu "Apply Sort Field"
For the Weird Al example, you would select Same Artist.
A dialogue will come up, press ok, now all the "Weird Al" Yankovic songs will sort as Weird Al Yankovic.

Just thought I'd clear that up. It really isn't an amazing feature, but when you need it, it's helpful. I used it mostly on a few album titles, ...Until We Felt Red by Kaki King, and "Volunteered" Civility & Professionalism by the Soccer Team.
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpoon View Post

This function should be really useful, not only for cases like "Weird Al". As pointed out by mickhyperion over at the Macrumors forum: "The new sort function is very handy for re-alphabetizing artists by their last name instead of their first name without having to have artists listed as "Lennon, John" to get them in that order. Now "John Lennon" can appear as such in the L's instead of the J's."

/Galex
post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinianv View Post

Select a single "Weird Al" track
get info
go to the sorting tab
here you see the Artist as "Weird Al" Yankovic, next to that under Sorting Artist, type Weird Al Yankovic, press OK.
Now for the trick, Right-Click the file you just edited, which will have moved to it's new sort location.
At the bottom of the contextual menu is a new menu "Apply Sort Field"
For the Weird Al example, you would select Same Artist.
A dialogue will come up, press ok, now all the "Weird Al" Yankovic songs will sort as Weird Al Yankovic

I have my library sorted by Artist, and songs by the same artist are sorted by Album. However, with this setup putting something in the Sort Album field doesn't seem to have any effect. Has anyone else come across that problem?
post #28 of 69
Just a point of note: iTunes works on my Vista partition on my MBP.

Apple technically says it will work, but with a few known bugs.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305042

Now, can someone tell apple to release a new version of Bootcamp since Vista is finally officially out? We all need power management drivers if we are going to be using this version of iTunes in windows on our macs. (Yeah, I know the windows vers. of the update is mainly for those standard PC's with XP)
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
"I aim to misbehave"
post #29 of 69
Sorry if this has already been reported ...

New Quicktime Pro App:

Just opened some 1920 x 1080i HD video footage and selected the new Export to Apple TV option (Default setting).

To my delight the result was superb. The size was 960 x 540.

I exported a 640 x 480 NTSC file too and that was retained at that size. It seems the Export option has built in intelligence and isn't just a dumb preset. More tests to do but so far ... way to go Apple
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sorry if this has already been reported ...

New Quicktime Pro App:

Just opened some 1920 x 1080i HD video footage and selected the new Export to Apple TV option (Default setting).

To my delight the result was superb. The size was 960 x 540.

I exported a 640 x 480 NTSC file too and that was retained at that size. It seems the Export option has built in intelligence and isn't just a dumb preset. More tests to do but so far ... way to go Apple

so that is 540i/24 export or what? I don't know all the skinny on resolutions but shouldn't that 1080i be exported to 720/something to use the best export for the highest that apple tv supports?
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Now, can someone tell apple to release a new version of Bootcamp since Vista is finally officially out?

Apple are already working on this, it will be released as a part of Leopard.. Apple told us this information over a year ago.
post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galex View Post

This function should be really useful, not only for cases like "Weird Al". As pointed out by mickhyperion over at the Macrumors forum: "The new sort function is very handy for re-alphabetizing artists by their last name instead of their first name without having to have artists listed as "Lennon, John" to get them in that order. Now "John Lennon" can appear as such in the L's instead of the J's."

/Galex

Great. But then will it put bands with two names (like Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Pilot Speed, etc) as "Crue, Motley"? What of three-name artists? There are reasons why no one generally does this. It doesn't work for musicians (an address book, perhaps, but not music, too many bands).

Then again, its no matter. I already have "Eat it" as belonging to 'Yankovich, "Weird" Al', so it does me no use at all.

And when are we going to get on Apple's case about storing half of its song metadata separate from the file. Like Apple's 'get cover art' option, which works sort of OK until you move the music to another comptuer, then you have no art. Same with their start/end time settings and various other stuff. Just more proprietary options to keep you locked into the iTunes world.
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Apple are already working on this, it will be released as a part of Leopard.. Apple told us this information over a year ago.

Ah, but wouldn't it be nice, since they lure you into the whole "Boot Camp" thing in the first place, and Leopard won't be out for 3 months at least, that they could release those updates, so, you know, people can help work out the bugs with the software. Or so we can see whether it'll be worth it to run Vista under boot camp without having to spend $150 on Leopard? Oh, forget that last one, Apple doesn't want you to not buy it.
post #34 of 69
I might have to go postal if they still haven't fixed their artsit vs. album-artist stupidity. So far, I've seen only reports to the contrary.

Explanation: CDDB lists songs off of a single album as being by various combinations of artists. Thus, each combination of artists is listed separately when browsing artists in the iTunes library. It makes browsing by artist nearly useless since every artist has a dozen entries in the browse list.

All they have to do to fix this is to have browse key off of album artist, only resorting to artist when album artist doesn't exist.

It's almost like a feature committee had this explained to them at one time, understood it, and assigned the feature to a developer. But then everyone involved must have forgotten what the feature was actually for. Yes, they needed an "album artist" tag but then they forgot what the purpose was.

Mail order catalogs, web-sites, radio stations, the iTunes store, brick-and-mortar stores, libraries... they've all figured it out. But yet the iTunes team still lags 50 years behind in adopting a useful browsing schema. Have they even been to a record store?

Can you imagine trying to find each and every song in a store if you had to know the exact combination of artists to find it on the shelf?

I'll confirm this tonight and then send another nasty-gram if neccessary.
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I might have to go postal if they still haven't fixed their artsit vs. album-artist stupidity. So far, I've seen only reports to the contrary.

Explanation: CDDB lists songs off of a single album as being by various combinations of artists. Thus, each combination of artists is listed separately when browsing artists in the iTunes library. It makes browsing by artist nearly useless since every artist has a dozen entries in the browse list.

All they have to do to fix this is to have browse key off of album artist, only resorting to artist when album artist doesn't exist.

Well, if you sort by "Album by Artist" in the list, there isn't a problem. And I believe the problem goes away if you mark them as compilations as well, but I don't recall it currently (I've used it very little, since I find it mostly fluff with very little usefulness to it - it looks cool, although half the albums always show up without cover initially and seem to load in fairly slow fashion - probably because all my artwork is in the music, rather then where iTunes would like it).

However, I wish they'd fix a problem I have seen several times in my library, where the songs in a freakin' albums won't sort correctly, but for no reason I can think of. As one example, I recently purchased 3 more songs from one of Apple's free-music artists, basically buying the rest of the EP. The free song was track 4, so I bought tracks 1-3. When sorting by Album, track 4 ALWAYS appears before 1-3. Every field is the same between them (artist name, album title, genre, grouping, no disc numbers, with or without album artist, track numbers correct, etc). If I sort by "Album by Artist" it gets sorted correctly. Its like they're sorting by something else that you can't change, which is just really, really irritating.

But, then, that's me. One big irritation.
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Well, if you sort by "Album by Artist" in the list, there isn't a problem. And I believe the problem goes away if you mark them as compilations as well, but I don't recall it currently (I've used it very little, since I find it mostly fluff with very little usefulness to it - it looks cool, although half the albums always show up without cover initially and seem to load in fairly slow fashion - probably because all my artwork is in the music, rather then where iTunes would like it).

Nope, please read the description and experiment with iTunes again.

You'll discover that there is currently no way to _browse_ all of an artist's songs.

Astounding but true.
post #37 of 69
Quote:

Ah, but wouldn't it be nice, since they lure you into the whole "Boot Camp" thing in the first place, and Leopard won't be out for 3 months at least, that they could release those updates, so, you know, people can help work out the bugs with the software. Or so we can see whether it'll be worth it to run Vista under boot camp without having to spend $150 on Leopard? Oh, forget that last one, Apple doesn't want you to not buy it.

This is what I was talking about... something to show us if Vista will work fully properly or not before me make a monetary commitment. (I can get Vista working for the most part already, but that was up to my own devices.)
"I aim to misbehave"
"I aim to misbehave"
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

This is what I was talking about... something to show us if Vista will work fully properly or not before me make a monetary commitment. (I can get Vista working for the most part already, but that was up to my own devices.)

Really? How did you get the trackpad drivers to install? I'm on my 6th windows install on my new macbook pro, never seeming to find solutions to various issues with compatibility. Right-click is the one killer missing feature (well, that an ctrl-alt-del).
post #39 of 69
Hey, and here's a real "shocker". Installing itunes for Windows puts the quicktime icon back into the system tray and restores the setting in the registry to autostart quicktime task and iTunes helper every time you boot. This goes along with the inability to have iTunes installed without it insisting on its ipod service to be installed with it (and turned on, no way to disable that sucker - I guess if you dumbed yourself down you could) and its completely non-standard UI.

Apple sure learned quickly on how to make JACWP (just another crappy windows program).
post #40 of 69
Quote:

Hey, and here's a real "shocker". Installing itunes for Windows puts the quicktime icon back into the system tray and restores the setting in the registry to autostart quicktime task and iTunes helper every time you boot. This goes along with the inability to have iTunes installed without it insisting on its ipod service to be installed with it (and turned on, no way to disable that sucker - I guess if you dumbed yourself down you could) and its completely non-standard UI.

Apple sure learned quickly on how to make JACWP (just another crappy windows program).

Hey if iTunes worked TOO well on Windows, people considering a switch wouldn't have a reason too if iTunes and everything else worked just fine.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases iTunes 7.1, QuickTime 7.1.5, more