or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Can't import videos to iTunes

Can't import videos to iTunes

post #1 of 7
I am unable to import videos into itunes. I have tried dragging them - I get the little green "+" sign but they are nowhere to be found. Have also tried the "import" option, but nothing happens! (Yes, i have ticked the "show movies" option in the preferences...)

The videos are .mov format, I'm using iTunes 7.02 in Mac OSx 10.4

I'd be grateful for any tips....

Stephen
post #2 of 7
For anyone with the same problem - you need the latest version of Quicktime, then everything works fine!
post #3 of 7
Not all the video files can be imported to itunes, itunes has certain parameter districts, e.g. iPod Video 80G supports up to 640*480,2500kbits/s. If the parameter of ur video file exceeds this value, the file certainly cant be imported to itunes. I suggest u use xilisoft ipod video converter(http://www.xilisoft.com/ipod-video-converter.html) to convert your video files to meet the needs of itunes, this problem will be solved.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrandy View Post

Not all the video files can be imported to itunes, itunes has certain parameter districts, e.g. iPod Video 80G supports up to 640*480,2500kbits/s. If the parameter of ur video file exceeds this value, the file certainly cant be imported to itunes. I suggest u use xilisoft ipod video converter(http://www.xilisoft.com/ipod-video-converter.html) to convert your video files to meet the needs of itunes, this problem will be solved.

Yes they can, you just can't import them to your video iPod. I use iTunes to catalogue the movies that I backup from DVD in native resolution. There have also been discussion that iTunes also supports 720p +
post #5 of 7
If quicktime can play the video, you can create a reference movie and import (drag)that into iTunes. You can then set it to be a TV show, music video or movie from the Video preference when you 'Get Info' on the imported file.

Open the movie in quicktime, File->Save As-> Select reference movie from the radio buttons at the bottom of the window.

Simply drag the reference .mov into iTunes and it will point to the actual video - works like a charm! 8)

Z
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillatron View Post

If quicktime can play the video, you can create a reference movie and import (drag)that into iTunes. You can then set it to be a TV show, music video or movie from the Video preference when you 'Get Info' on the imported file.

Open the movie in quicktime, File->Save As-> Select reference movie from the radio buttons at the bottom of the window.

Simply drag the reference .mov into iTunes and it will point to the actual video - works like a charm! 8)

Z

nice! the only downside is that you can't change the metadata or file information.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Yes they can, you just can't import them to your video iPod. I use iTunes to catalogue the movies that I backup from DVD in native resolution. There have also been discussion that iTunes also supports 720p +

What are you using to back up in native resolution? Thanks
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Can't import videos to iTunes