or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Down with Fox News!

Down with Fox News!

post #1 of 267
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2546570.shtml

I found this one particularly baffling. The answer to Fox's "bias" is to....not participate in its Democratic Presidental Debate? Huh?

FNC, love it or hate it, is the most popular/watched cable news network. Wouldn't the candidates want the most exposure possible...especially Edwards, who is not exactly dominating right now?

As an aside, do you think that if CNN or MSNBC hosted a Republican Presidential Debate, that Republican Candidates would refuse to go because of their bias? I think not.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

As an aside, do you think that if CNN or MSNBC hosted a Republican Presidential Debate, that Republican Candidates would refuse to go because of their bias? I think not.

I don't notice a particular bias on any of the networks (what little I watch of them), but Fox is off the charts IMHO. I wouldn't participate in that debate if I was a democratic nominee either.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #3 of 267
[CENTER]

"Television is not the truth.
Television is a goddamned amusement park."
- Howard Beale[/CENTER]
post #4 of 267
Quote:

Those networks aren't mouthpieces for a particular party like Fox.
post #5 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Sadly media studies and Lexis/Nexis searches don't happen to concur with your opinion.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #6 of 267
Quote:

No, they're just mouthpieces for particularly powerful corporate interests.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #7 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

No, they're just mouthpieces for particularly powerful corporate interests.

Sadly.
post #8 of 267
They offer what sells. They know what gets ratings. Look at Fox entertainment. No right agenda there. Pure trash.
"some catch on faster than others"
post #9 of 267
Quote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2546570.shtml

I found this one particularly baffling. The answer to Fox's "bias" is to....not participate in its Democratic Presidental Debate? Huh?

FNC, love it or hate it, is the most popular/watched cable news network. Wouldn't the candidates want the most exposure possible...especially Edwards, who is not exactly dominating right now?

It's not the debate itself that's the problem. It's the three hours of bad-mouthing commentary from Hume, O'Reilly, Hannity, Coulter, and Krauthammer afterward. Besides, nobody who watches FableNews regularly is going to vote Democratic anyway. So what advantage is there really?

Besides, FakeNews is NOT just another cable news network. Not by a long shot. Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch have both admitted that they're trying to shape the agenda and influence ALL media narratives (similar to the way every newsroom in America has Drudge as its home page). So to pretend that Democrats are going to get a fair shake by FauxNews or not get handed grenade questions by their "panel" is ignorant beyond measure.

Besides, one day of FoolNews is not worth legitimizing 364 days of misinformation.

If I were Obama I'd give Fox the middle finger the entire run of his campaign.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #10 of 267
My problem with Fox is that they and talk radio have collectively dumbed down the republican party by a good 30 IQ points (rush a good 10 points just by his lonesome).

Yes they offer what sells. I dunno when THAT became a particular virtue in news reporting...

Vinea
post #11 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by southside grabowski View Post

They offer what sells. They know what gets ratings. Look at Fox entertainment. No right agenda there. Pure trash.

Firefly, Fururama, the Loop - they produce good stuff, they just cancel it all prematurely.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #12 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yes they offer what sells. I dunno when THAT became a particular virtue in news reporting...

Ding ding ding.

FoxNews deserves to exist. They have a right to be a right-wing GOP mouthpiece if they so choose. They can even deny it til they turn blue if they want.

But that doesn't mean reality isn't still .. reality. Fox has NO interest in being fair to Dems. None.

And look, this absurd notion that Fox is no different than MSNBC and CNN is a joke. I think CNN is garbage. But they're certainly no FoxNews. ABC is coming close to FoxNews levels of liberal hatred, but Fox is still the number one offender.

If the GOP refused to let MSNBC host a debate that is their right. If I were Giuliani and McCain I certainly want to attend a debate moderated by Keith Olbermann. If they want to boycott them, let them. If they don't think they'll be treated fairly then fine. I certainly know for a fact that Fox won't treat my guys fairly. So why bother?
post #13 of 267
I don't really get it either. It's not like Fox won't criticize Democrats when they have debates at other networks. They're not stopping that from happening. I suppose it's just to not give them any credibility, but it's really too late for that.
post #14 of 267
IMO this makes Edwards look scared. What's he afraid of from Fox?
post #15 of 267
Quote:

... and they say that conservatives are disconnected from reality. I think you'd call getting faxed talking points and repeating what Begala, Beckel, Carville, and Dean say word for word would be considered a "mouthpiece."

Gravitas, hombre, "GRAVITAS"

"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #16 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydo View Post

IMO this makes Edwards look scared. What's he afraid of from Fox?

Maybe a moderator who will not throw him a pathetic group of softball questions is all I can figure...
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #17 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

... and they say that conservatives are disconnected from reality. I think you'd call getting faxed talking points and repeating what Begala, Beckel, Carville, and Dean say word for word would be considered a "mouthpiece."

What are you saying about Fox News?
post #18 of 267
Quote:

What are you saying about Fox News?

I'm saying that Edwards might risk the same kind of thing from a Fox moderator that Dan Rather assaulted GWB with. Or he might get ambushed like Michael Moore with a box of twinkies and a camera.

I dunno, why go to a Fox debate when there are few democrat voters watching the eeeeeeeevil right-wing Faux News?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #19 of 267
Quote:

I'm saying that Edwards might risk the same kind of thing from a Fox moderator that Dan Rather assaulted GWB with. Or he might get ambushed like Michael Moore with a box of twinkies and a camera.

I dunno, why go to a Fox debate when there are few democrat voters watching the eeeeeeeevil right-wing Faux News?

You'll notice that in order to make your "just the same but opposite" formulation you were obliged to use one of a handful of canonical "liberal media outrage" stories (and one that's a little thread bare, given that Dan Rather was driven from the airwaves) and, um, Michael Moore, who has exactly zero presence on cable news (funny, the liberal media sure does seem to have a hard time finding liberals to put in front of the viewers).

Got in the obligatory "Michael Moore is fat" reference, though, which always speaks to a keen and inventive mind.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #20 of 267
Quote:

Gosh, that must be true then, since you said it and all.

Which explains why the mainstream media never runs with utterly spurious stories hatched in the fever swamps of right-wing blogdom, and constantly gives spurious leftist slurs prominent play.

You know, like Kerry's aff....wait...no, how he hates the tro....I mean Harry Reid's shady land......no, wait, Pelosi's luxury plane deman.....nope... I mean Obama's shady....no, no Obama hates the....., OK, Clinton's drawl? Whitewater! Whitewater! Whitewater!

Well, anyway, it all comes out in the wash because nailing Dems with made up scandals is the structural equivalent of reporting on actual Republican scandals, and it's important to remain "balanced".

Otherwise you might be accused of being liberal.
post #21 of 267
This study is a bit dated, but still very relevent:

http://www.alternet.org/story/16892

Quote:
The more commercial television news you watch, the more wrong you are likely to be about key elements of the Iraq War and its aftermath, according to a major new study released in Washington this week.

And the more you watch the Rupert Murdoch-owned Fox News channel, in particular, the more likely it is that your perceptions about the war are wrong, adds the report by the University of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA).

Based on several nationwide surveys it conducted with California-based Knowledge Networks since June [2003], as well as the results of other polls, PIPA found that 48 percent of the public believe US troops found evidence of close pre-war links between Iraq and the al-Qaeda terrorist group; 22 percent thought troops found weapons of mass destruction (WMD) in Iraq; and 25 percent believed that world public opinion favored Washington's going to war with Iraq. All three are misperceptions.

. . .

For each of the three misperceptions, the study found enormous differences between the viewers of Fox, who held the most misperceptions, and NPR/PBS, who held the fewest by far. Eighty percent of Fox viewers were found to hold at least one misperception, compared to 23 percent of NPR/PBS consumers. All the other media fell in between.

. . .

As to the number of misconceptions held by their audiences, Fox far outscored all of its rivals. A whopping 45 percent of its viewers believed all three misperceptions, while the other commercial networks scored between 12 percent and 16 percent. Only nine percent of readers believed all three, while only four percent of the NPR/PBS audience did.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #22 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Gosh, that must be true then, since you said it and all.

Ah, finally the return of the 'box from the days of yore...

It's not "slanted" to you because it fits with your (slanted) worldview. Neat how that works for left and right alike. Fairness is in the eye of the beholder. It's just that now with Fox News, those of us who see things "correctly" can see things, er, "correctly"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #23 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

(funny, the liberal media sure does seem to have a hard time finding liberals to put in front of the viewers).

What have you been watching?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #24 of 267
'box... are you familiar with the GRAVITAS incident? That speaks VOLUMES about who is getting the DNC faxes.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #25 of 267
Is there a mainstream counter to Fox (in the U.S.) that sells Marxist propaganda, for example, as opposed to Fascism? Definitely not!

Recall the (brilliant and superb) movie "V for Vendetta"? Fox News Channel aims to cover the same ground as the BTN (British Television Network) in that movie... i.e. the selling (via serial lies and blind faith) of a corrupt, hard-line right-wing government that has perpetrated atrocities against their own people.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #26 of 267
Is the debate happening on Fox News between liberals and conservatives a fantasy then? Someone tell David Corn, Gloria Allred, Rosa Rosales, Alan Colmes, et al.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #27 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Firefly, Fururama, the Loop - they produce good stuff, they just cancel it all prematurely.

That's called Arrested Development.
post #28 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

That's called Arrested Development.

Please don't make me cry.
post #29 of 267
*slaps hands*

Caw Ca Caw Ca Caw Ca CAW
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #30 of 267
Quote:

Is the debate happening on Fox News between liberals and conservatives a fantasy then? Someone tell David Corn, Gloria Allred, Rosa Rosales, Alan Colmes, et al.

ALAN COLMES! LIBERAL!!! HAHAHAHASHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!1ONE!! !1!EIN!!!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #31 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

ALAN COLMES! LIBERAL!!! HAHAHAHASHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!1ONE!! !1!EIN!!!

Who's that "liberal" that is always on talk shows with Ann Coulter. You know, the only liberal that she will debate against...
post #32 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Who's that "liberal" that is always on talk shows with Ann Coulter. You know, the only liberal that she will debate against...

Dunno. I watched her pitch a fit once on Hardball when they tossed Katrina Vanden Heuvel at her. That may be who you're thinking of. But Coulter doesn't really debate; she just dribbles out bot mots. Or what she thinks are bon mots.
post #33 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageous View Post

*slaps hands*

Caw Ca Caw Ca Caw Ca CAW

[Tobias discovers that George Sr. has been living in the attic]
Tobias Fünke: What are you doing up here?
George Sr.: I'm having a fucking tea party, what does it look like I'm doing?
[he shoves Tobias up against the wall with his hand against his mouth]
George Sr.: I'm living up here and if you tell anyone about this, I will fucking kill you. Ah, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass.

post #34 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

[Tobias discovers that George Sr. has been living in the attic]
Tobias Fünke: What are you doing up here?
George Sr.: I'm having a fucking tea party, what does it look like I'm doing?
[he shoves Tobias up against the wall with his hand against his mouth]
George Sr.: I'm living up here and if you tell anyone about this, I will fucking kill you. Ah, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass.

The best part is, as I recall, he actually WAS having a fucking tea party.
post #35 of 267
I've got all three seasons on DVD. Time for an AI/AD party!

Nick

post #36 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Ellis Henican? aka STORMY!

post #37 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

It's not the debate itself that's the problem. It's the three hours of bad-mouthing commentary from Hume, O'Reilly, Hannity, Coulter, and Krauthammer afterward. Besides, nobody who watches FableNews regularly is going to vote Democratic anyway. So what advantage is there really?

Besides, FakeNews is NOT just another cable news network. Not by a long shot. Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch have both admitted that they're trying to shape the agenda and influence ALL media narratives (similar to the way every newsroom in America has Drudge as its home page). So to pretend that Democrats are going to get a fair shake by FauxNews or not get handed grenade questions by their "panel" is ignorant beyond measure.

Besides, one day of FoolNews is not worth legitimizing 364 days of misinformation.

If I were Obama I'd give Fox the middle finger the entire run of his campaign.

This kind of post shows clearly you don't actually watch Fox News. And let me ask, what is the difference between the supposed attitudes of Ailes and Murdoch as compared to the big wigs at CBS and NBC? Hmmm?
post #38 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Is there a mainstream counter to Fox (in the U.S.) that sells Marxist propaganda, for example, as opposed to Fascism? Definitely not!

Recall the (brilliant and superb) movie "V for Vendetta"? Fox News Channel aims to cover the same ground as the BTN (British Television Network) in that movie... i.e. the selling (via serial lies and blind faith) of a corrupt, hard-line right-wing government that has perpetrated atrocities against their own people.

So Fox News as far right as Marxism is left?
post #39 of 267
I would respect a Dem candidate with the confidence to do an hour with Bill O'Reilly' or Hannity. Don't see any though. The Dems are doing their best to mess up the break that they got with the fluke election last November.
post #40 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by southside grabowski View Post

I would respect a Dem candidate with the confidence to do an hour with Bill O'Reilly' or Hannity. Don't see any though. The Dems are doing their best to mess up the break that they got with the fluke election last November.

Fluke election?

I do agree that the Dems aren't doing this as well as they could be.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Down with Fox News!