or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Down with Fox News!

Down with Fox News! - Page 7

post #241 of 267
Unsurprising:

Fox News viewers are the least informed ...while regular viewers of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are the most informed. Combined with the other study concluding that no one watches Fox News but Republicans, you have to wonder how informed your everyday Republican has to be...
post #242 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Unsurprising:

Fox News viewers are the least informed ...while regular viewers of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are the most informed. Combined with the other study concluding that no one watches Fox News but Republicans, you have to wonder how informed your everyday Republican has to be...

Oh, sure, if by "informed" you mean "aware of actual events in the world", but you know full well that events have a liberal bias.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #243 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh, sure, if by "informed" you mean "aware of actual events in the world", but you know full well that events have a liberal bias.

In all seriousness I question that stat.

Quote:
Virtually bringing up the rear were regular watchers of Fox News. Only 1 in 3 could answer 2 out of 3 questions correctly. Fox topped only network morning show viewers.

What is a "regular viewer" of Fox News? What are the other variables within that sample? I really think drawing a broad conclusion as to how well informed Fox News views are is impossbile. And what about this: I'm a regular watched of both Fox News (well less now, but still) AND Colbert Report. How did those people factor into the poll?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #244 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

In all seriousness I question that stat.

What is a "regular viewer" of Fox News? What are the other variables within that sample? I really think drawing a broad conclusion as to how well informed Fox News views are is impossbile. And what about this: I'm a regular watched of both Fox News (well less now, but still) AND Colbert Report. How did those people factor into the poll?

See for yourself.

STOP ASKING QUESTIONS AND GET SOME ANSWERS. You really have to do some digging SDW. We're not going to keep inserting the relevant links all the time now do we? You have to do some of the work.

In addition, Pew is very unbiased. Check their other stats.
post #245 of 267
The most interesting part is this, methinks:

Quote:
Men scored higher than women, and older Americans did better than younger, on average. Democrats and Republicans were about equally represented in the most knowledgeable group but there were more Republicans in the least aware group.

The male:female split is interesting; and the age bit isn't surprising. To me, the most interesting is dems and reps had similar counts within the knowledgeable group, but reps outnumbered dems in the unaware group. Knowledgeable republicans are hard to find where i live. I suppose we can regard these unknowledgeable republicans as the fox viewers though.
post #246 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

See for yourself.

STOP ASKING QUESTIONS AND GET SOME ANSWERS. You really have to do some digging SDW. We're not going to keep inserting the relevant links all the time now do we? You have to do some of the work.

With all due respect, if someone is going to make a point it's up to them to back up their claims. That's how one properly structures an argument. The onus is not on those reading it to go out and seek the original sources themselves.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #247 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageous View Post

With all due respect, if someone is going to make a point it's up to them to back up their claims. That's how one properly structures an argument. The onus is not on those reading it to go out and seek the original sources themselves.

All respect, I'm not talking to you. SDW has a habit of "Wha? Naw. Huh? No Way!"ing everything. In some defense, Editor and Publisher should have supplied the link too. But I really get tired of serving him the "disputed" sources to him.
post #248 of 267
Quote:

Unsurprising:

The study you quote does not draw the conclusion you posit so perhaps you should check your own reading comprehension and also check yourself into logical leap rehab.

Republicans and Democrats are equally likely to be represented in the high-knowledge group. But significantly fewer Republicans (26%) than Democrats (31%) fall into the third of the public that knows the least.

From those of us that deal with numbers instead of personal attacks, that reads as more Republicans being informed. Additionally the study noted that the least informed groups were groups that strongly vote Democratic, women and minorities.

If anything it simply shows that well informed Republicans are willing to watch more sources and be informed by them, rather than label them and shut off all access to them which is what Democrats do. I'll watch a Bill Maher, Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert whether they agree with me or not. I'll also gladly read information from any and all sources though that doesn't mean all will avoid being treated skeptically.

It is Democrats who I have seen avoid and dismiss information based off nothing more than perceived intent, bias or whatever rationale they care to cook up. They don't look at it, evaluated it critically and then keep or discard relevant information. They simply toss it based on the source.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #249 of 267
Quote:

All respect, I'm not talking to you. SDW has a habit of "Wha? Naw. Huh? No Way!"ing everything. In some defense, Editor and Publisher should have supplied the link too. But I really get tired of serving him the "disputed" sources to him.

Then don't. But whether or not you were talking to me isn't relevant to my reply.

post #250 of 267
Quote:

No, I have a way of actually trying to get to the bottom of the issue. I asked valid questions. It seems to me that "your side" is the one claiming viewers of Fox News are uninformed. I'm merely pointing out that there are so many potential variables that such an assessment is very difficult, whether not Pew is unbiased.
post #251 of 267
post #252 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The study you quote does not draw the conclusion you posit so perhaps you should check your own reading comprehension and also check yourself into logical leap rehab.

Republicans and Democrats are equally likely to be represented in the high-knowledge group. But significantly fewer Republicans (26%) than Democrats (31%) fall into the third of the public that knows the least.

From those of us that deal with numbers instead of personal attacks, that reads as more Republicans being informed. Additionally the study noted that the least informed groups were groups that strongly vote Democratic, women and minorities.

If anything it simply shows that well informed Republicans are willing to watch more sources and be informed by them, rather than label them and shut off all access to them which is what Democrats do. I'll watch a Bill Maher, Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert whether they agree with me or not. I'll also gladly read information from any and all sources though that doesn't mean all will avoid being treated skeptically.

It is Democrats who I have seen avoid and dismiss information based off nothing more than perceived intent, bias or whatever rationale they care to cook up. They don't look at it, evaluated it critically and then keep or discard relevant information. They simply toss it based on the source.

Nick

Exactly. I'll add that I find it amazing that the lefties like to talk about how good Republicans are at parroting talking points....but then they run with an obviously flawed notion such as "Fox Viewers Are Dumbererer Than Non-Fox Viewers! Film at 11!"
post #253 of 267

Shit, you're like a parrot.
post #254 of 267
Quote:

Then I'm happy to conclude that only the most ill-informed Republicans watch Fox News.

post #255 of 267

I'll tell you another issue I see with the results. It appears to mix shows and networks without defining how they determine one from another. To me it looks as if the results for Fox News have been diluted in some fashion because it is the only media outlet listed that has the results of both a show and the network. It appears I can be highly informed and watch O'Reilly Factor, but that doesn't mean I watch the Fox News Channel, or does it? The study doesn't really say. I find this strange because it appears that only Fox News has gotten this treatment. I can look and see if CNN viewers are informed, but not viewers of Larry King, Lou Dobbs or Anderson Cooper. If we factor the results of the O'Reilly group back into Fox viewership wouldn't it change the results?

I go down the list and I do not see any other network that has had the viewership broken down into network and shows. Why did they treat Fox different from every other outlet?

Nick

post #256 of 267
Quote:

Then I'm happy to conclude that only the most ill-informed Republicans watch Fox News.

See above, but I do like the quip. Cute... very cute. I might let you get to second base tonight if you keep that up.

Nick

post #257 of 267
Quote:

You don't know if it's significant unless you do a statistical test. It's a 5% difference in that one group. But Democrats are 1% more likely to know the most. Is that "significant?"
post #258 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

You don't know if it's significant unless you do a statistical test. It's a 5% difference in that one group. But Democrats are 1% more likely to know the most. Is that "significant?"

Still it would be ridiculous to take the numbers and draw the exact opposite conclusion from it.

Nick

post #259 of 267
Quote:

Still it would be ridiculous to take the numbers and draw the exact opposite conclusion from it.

Nick

Yes, it clearly doesn't show that "Republicans are dumber." But it doesn't show that Democrats are dumber either. What it shows, unsurprisingly, IMO, is that people who enjoy political shows with an ideological bent (Daily Show, Limbaugh) are more knowledgeable than those who just watch general news.
post #260 of 267
Quote:

I'll tell you another issue I see with the results. It appears to mix shows and networks without defining how they determine one from another. To me it looks as if the results for Fox News have been diluted in some fashion because it is the only media outlet listed that has the results of both a show and the network. It appears I can be highly informed and watch O'Reilly Factor, but that doesn't mean I watch the Fox News Channel, or does it? The study doesn't really say. I find this strange because it appears that only Fox News has gotten this treatment. I can look and see if CNN viewers are informed, but not viewers of Larry King, Lou Dobbs or Anderson Cooper. If we factor the results of the O'Reilly group back into Fox viewership wouldn't it change the results?

Do I think the best informed Americans regularly watch a self-described "fake news show"? I think the point is that Daily Show viewers don't get all their news from that show. The Daily Show is far funnier when you are already knowledgeable about what they're satirizing.

Quote:

I go down the list and I do not see any other network that has had the viewership broken down into network and shows. Why did they treat Fox different from every other outlet?

Like I said , a "self described 'fake news show'". Unlike Fox (or CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC), who maintains that they're a real news show...
post #261 of 267
Quote:

Do I think the best informed Americans regularly watch a self-described "fake news show"? I think the point is that Daily Show viewers don't get all their news from that show. The Daily Show is far funnier when you are already knowledgeable about what they're satirizing.

Like I said , a "self described 'fake news show'". Unlike Fox (or CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC), who maintains that they're a real news show...

Try addressing the point next time instead of making your little quip and being on your way.
post #262 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Try addressing the point next time instead of making your little quip and being on your way.

Here, you take the stick for a while then...

post #263 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Events have a liberal bias... I guess the reporting of liberal events would then be unbiased.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #264 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Yes, it clearly doesn't show that "Republicans are dumber." But it doesn't show that Democrats are dumber either. What it shows, unsurprisingly, IMO, is that people who enjoy political shows with an ideological bent (Daily Show, Limbaugh) are more knowledgeable than those who just watch general news.

I don't think I was trying to put across that Democrats are ill-informed.

Quote:

Agreed. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:

Not quite sure I can match the cynicism here, but I did enjoy your first point.

Nick

post #265 of 267
Quote:

Not quite sure I can match the cynicism here, but I did enjoy your first point.

Nick

Well the other news outlets have to stoop low (or high) to get ratings too. One man's O'Reilly is another man's Obermann is another bitch's Nancy Grace.
post #266 of 267
Quote:

...so perhaps you should check your own reading comprehension and also check yourself into logical leap rehab.

From those of us that deal with numbers instead of personal attacks...

Interesting.
post #267 of 267
I found this hilarious. This is the NRSC's idea of "multimedia"...

Pretty much exclusively Fox News.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Down with Fox News!