or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Firefox vs. Camino

Firefox vs. Camino - Page 2

post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I tried Camino for a solid week but I had to switch back to Firefox.

Why? Well, Camino seems to be well behind the features that are currently available in Firefox. Specifically, it does not have:

1) Draggable tabs
2) Decent type-ahead find capability (its implementation seems to be at least one full version behind Firefox's)
3) Support for plugins
4) Sensible keyboard shortcuts. The lack of Ctrl-Tab for switching tabs just makes no sense.
5) Middle-Click to close tabs.
6) Decent preferences configuration, including adding to my cookie whitelist.
7) Decent configuration for the toolbar. For instance, the URL bar and google search bar are glued together, and there's no GO button.

Sorry, but Camino is really behind the curve, as its entire featureset is at least one full version behind Firefox's. Its only saving grace is that it's a Cocoa app, which gives speed and aesthetic improvements over Firefox, but little else.

8 ) Recently closed tabs
9) Center click on a tab to close it
10) Right click on the back/forward buttons to open it in a new tab
post #42 of 45
Dude,

I think my 5 is your 8. Otherwise, 9 and 10 are other great features of Firefox absent in Camino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

8 ) Recently closed tabs
9) Center click on a tab to close it
10) Right click on the back/forward buttons to open it in a new tab
post #43 of 45
5 is 9.
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmber View Post

5 is 9.

Yes. My bad.
post #45 of 45
Personally, I just use the nightly builds of Webkit. Which is what Safari is built on. It acts as a seperate application though. It never touches Safari. Plus, all the things that din't work on Safari now suddenly do in the new Webkit!

Best Mac browser yet. (And from what I hear, will be the core of Safari in Leopard.)

http://nightly.webkit.org/
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Firefox vs. Camino