or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Don't let the door hit you in the @#$ Halliburton

Don't let the door hit you in the @#$ Halliburton

post #1 of 79
As if I for one second thought these people gave a rat's behind for the American People.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17577926/

"Halliburton to open headquarters in Dubai"

My office will be in Dubai, and I will run our entire worldwide operations from that office, Chief Executive David Lesar said at an energy conference in Bahrain on Sunday. Dubai is a great business center.

We have been played by a greed driven company.

When will the neo-cons wake up and face up to the music.

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 79
Swooped in, grabbed all the choice no-bid contracts, profited in the BILLIONS and BILLIONS of American taxpayer dollars (far more than we ever pay in Welfare) and are now saying, "Kiss off America!"
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #3 of 79
grabbed all the choice no-bid contracts
What other companies have the resources to do the jobs that HB is doing in Iraq?

now saying, "Kiss off America!"

Their business is mostly in Asia and the Middle East. They are in the oil support business. The American left has all but banned drilling in the US. Of course they are moving. Most of their work and employees are already over there.

A lot of that tax money is going to blue collar working Americans by the way.
there.
"some catch on faster than others"
"some catch on faster than others"
post #4 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by southside grabowski View Post

grabbed all the choice no-bid contracts
What other companies have the resources to do the jobs that HB is doing in Iraq?
now saying, "Kiss off America!"
Their business is mostly in Asia and the Middle East. They are in the oil support business. The American left has all but banned drilling in the US. Of course they are moving. Most of their work and employees are already over there.
A lot of that tax money is going to blue collar working Americans by the way.
there.

Business is business. How about running one without fucking it up?

Frontline: Private Warriors

Tip of the iceberg, but you get the point.
post #5 of 79
Yeah, good riddance Haliburton! You GREEDY whore of a corporation! No bid contract getting, overcharging profiteering BASTARDS!

Get a grip.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #6 of 79
Get a grip on your easy chair SDW and watch this documentary.

Iraq For Sale The War Profiteers

Seems that FOX News has even left a bad taste in your mouth, so why not watch the truth?
post #7 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Get a grip on your easy chair SDW and watch this documentary.

Iraq For Sale The War Profiteers

Seems that FOX News has even left a bad taste in your mouth, so why not watch the truth?

Yawn.
post #8 of 79
Halliburton's KBR division (the part of the company that did all the stuff you guys don't like) is being spun off to shareholders as a separate company because it is not profitable enough.

http://www.newratings.com/analyst_ne...e_1191400.html

So the company that will be headquartered in Dubai will not be the organization that you all hate, and could they really be that good at war profiteering if they had such lousy profits? This makes me think that the whole anti-Haliburton thing is a bunch of propaganda, like left wing anti-corporate versions of the stuff from Fox news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halliburton

"The company's contracts in Iraq are expected to have generated more than $13 billion in sales by the time they start to expire in 2006, but most offer low margins— less than 2% on average in 2003 and just 1.4% this year for the logistics work"
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #9 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

As if I for one second thought these people gave a rat's behind for the American People.

“My office will be in Dubai, and I will run our entire worldwide operations from that office,” Chief Executive David Lesar said at an energy conference in Bahrain on Sunday. “Dubai is a great business center.”

Welcome to the inverse of what was taught by Jesus, or *any* of the great spiritual masters. Mammon is now the new God, psychopathy/sociopathy is the mindstate, and the law of the jungle is the method. The beatitude for the current powerbrokers could be "blessed are the mean, for they shall inherit the (fill in the blank)".

Quote:

Fellowship

When the tipping point arrives. Who knows when that might be, but when it does happen, it will happen very suddenly, and unexpectedly. There WILL be a lot of public anger, much much more than we could have ever imagined in these currently apathetic times.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #10 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Welcome to the inverse of what was taught by Jesus, or *any* of the great spiritual masters. Mammon is now the new God, psychopathy/sociopathy is the mindstate, and the law of the jungle is the method. The beatitude for the current powerbrokers could be "blessed are the mean, for they shall inherit the (fill in the blank)".

And the very people who support this admin and Dick and Bush and all who profit from this endless war on our fiscal health claim to be Christians.

I do not think the so-called Christians know what they have been deeling with with this admin.

Those anyway who support anything and everything Bush and Dick and co. do.

Greed and killing the enemy with money to loot is not taught by Jesus.

I for one do not lick the boots of these so-called leaders of ours who convince us to harm ourselves for their profit.

Fellowship

post #11 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

So the company that will be headquartered in Dubai will not be the organization that you all hate, and could they really be that good at war profiteering if they had such lousy profits? This makes me think that the whole anti-Haliburton thing is a bunch of propaganda, like left wing anti-corporate versions of the stuff from Fox news.

How about Forbes? Article here is dated (2004) but it reveals what Dubai has been for many corporations. A front for illegal trading. Including arms to Iran.

"The open secret is that Dubai buys far more than it keeps. More than a quarter of its $23 billion in annual nonoil imports are reexported, and Iran gets the biggest share. Interviews with private businesspeople and U.S. officials, along with court documents, reveal a simple scheme. Companies located around the world sell goods--from cigarettes to medical devices and PCs--to buyers in the U.A.E. Dubai traders repackage the items and send them along by air or ship to agents in, say, Tehran, Pyongyang, Damascus or Islamabad. "

Trading With The Enemy

Halliburton is scum. But there are many more reasons to lift the curtain over Dubai, the UAE and others.
post #12 of 79
Quote:

Halliburton is scum. But there are many more reasons to lift the curtain over Dubai, the UAE and others.

Dubai is actually a perfect model of east/west integration - I don't say that because I support it, far from it - but because one has to wonder why, with so many resources to hand (ie Arab world leading architects, financiers, business men etc) AND the State being a great example of pluralism between Islam and other belief systems (in a practical everyday economic success story) - AND being a pro-western ally - why this model was not adopted in Iraq. Or why these experts wer not put in charge.

I can guarantee you that if the Arab building consortiums who run Dubai were in control then a world-leading infrastructure could now be in place in Iraq and the threat from the Resistance dramatically reduced.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #13 of 79
Quote:

And the very people who support this admin and Dick and Bush and all who profit from this endless war on our fiscal health claim to be Christians.

I do not think the so-called Christians know what they have been deeling with with this admin.

I for one do not lick the boots of these so-called leaders of ours who convince us to harm ourselves for their profit.

Fellowship

I am a Christian. I support the President and supported the invasion. I do not support "everything" the Bush Admin. does. I'll thank you not to pass judgement on me just because we disagree.

Secondly, what is "killing the enemy with money to loot?" We've looted Iraq?
post #14 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

We've looted Iraq?

No, not most regular americans like you. You'd have to be somehow invested in a company that directly or indirectly did. That's kinda sorta the point. That's cool if you want to ignore it, because it's people like you who help the companies I'm invested in do so well.
post #15 of 79
Quote:

I am a Christian. I support the President and supported the invasion. I do not support "everything" the Bush Admin. does. I'll thank you not to pass judgement on me just because we disagree.

How do you reconcile your Christian faith with the unprovoked invasion of a country that had done America no harm, and was militarily not capable of such? How do you support the act of "attacking first", and the deliberate destruction of civilian infrastructure/facilities essential to the wellbeing of Iraqi civilians? This is 180º against every Christian principle (not forgetting both US and international law). Also, knowing that the ratio of casualties (civilian:soldier) in modern warfare now runs at 10:1, and that 40% of the Iraqi population are children under 14 years of age?, and to wage war against that country in the way we did (Shock and Awe) would result in massive civilian casualties, does that not strike you as being the actions of people who don't give a damn about humanity, (unless its the wellbeing of their corporate buddies)?

Incidentally, Christians should abide by the Ten Commandments (rather than just quoting them when its comvenient), but the (Iraq) war breaks # 1,4,6,8,9 and 10.

Quote:
Secondly, what is "killing the enemy with money to loot?" We've looted Iraq?

Perhaps he was meaning "killing the enemy then robbing them". Much of Iraq's priceless historical artifacts from its many thousand year old history have disappeared, or been assimilated into private collections.
post #16 of 79
Quote:

How about Forbes? Article here is dated (2004) but it reveals what Dubai has been for many corporations. A front for illegal trading. Including arms to Iran.

"The open secret is that Dubai buys far more than it keeps. More than a quarter of its $23 billion in annual nonoil imports are reexported, and Iran gets the biggest share. Interviews with private businesspeople and U.S. officials, along with court documents, reveal a simple scheme. Companies located around the world sell goods--from cigarettes to medical devices and PCs--to buyers in the U.A.E. Dubai traders repackage the items and send them along by air or ship to agents in, say, Tehran, Pyongyang, Damascus or Islamabad. "

Trading With The Enemy

Haliburton is not even mentioned in your link - and not only that, but the link has nothing to do with the original claims about Haliburton that I was responding to.

This is just anti-corporate prejudice - claims made with no evidence, they are tried and convicted in your mind as "scumbags" without any real though put into the process.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #17 of 79
Quote:

Haliburton is not even mentioned in your link - and not only that, but the link has nothing to do with the original claims about Haliburton that I was responding to.

This is just anti-corporate prejudice - claims made with no evidence, they are tried and convicted in your mind as "scumbags" without any real though put into the process.

Dated article...correct, but it raises a possible motive for Halliburton to move there.

Look, I don't spend my time searching the web and compiling information on Halliburton's practices. I have posted the links above to prove their business practices are horrendous. If you don't want to read or watch them, fine. There are people who do. Suggest you look into them.

Again, watch the Frontline report "Private Warriors" and "Iraq for Sale" too.
post #18 of 79
Quote:

Dated article...correct, but it raises a possible motive for Halliburton to move there.

Look, I don't spend my time searching the web and compiling information on Halliburton's practices. I have posted the links above to prove their business practices are horrendous. If you don't want to read or watch them, fine. There are people who do. Suggest you look into them.

Again, watch the Frontline report "Private Warriors" and "Iraq for Sale" too.

You still haven't answered my question - how could it be that Haliburton is ripping us off in Iraq, when the KBR unit makes such lousy profits?

You posted links to corporate hate rags, which are filled with emotional anti-haliburton stuff. How could anything they say be true if KBR makes no money?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #19 of 79
Quote:

You still haven't answered my question - how could it be that Haliburton is ripping us off in Iraq, when the KBR unit makes such lousy profits?

You posted links to corporate hate rags, which are filled with emotional anti-haliburton stuff. How could anything they say be true if KBR makes no money?

How about enlightening me with a link to your KBR (value $10,832,000,000) claims?

Clips from "Iraq For Sale".
post #20 of 79
<can't figure out why we need TWO anti-Haliburton threads from one person in a single day>
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #21 of 79
Quote:

My office will be in Dubai, and I will run our entire worldwide operations from that office, Chief Executive David Lesar said at an energy conference in Bahrain on Sunday. Dubai is a great business center.

Fellowship

Maybe they have moved there because they are being taxed to death here. Left-wing tax and spend policies almost always do that if given time. Look at California! Businesses will go where it is best to do business, and because we keep attacking, taxing, and demonizing making an honest profit, its just easier to go to Delaware or offshore. It's called destroying American industry, and has worked quite well.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #22 of 79
Well I say good luck Hal. If you run into a little political problem over there AMFYOYO (adios m-f you're on your own). That's what sucks. A few years down the road we'll be engaed in a military action to 'protect American interests', which will be to protect Hal's interests.
post #23 of 79
Here you have it.

Cheney himself knows that the ship is going down. He has invested whole-heartedly in the fact, as has every other corporation that has moved to China et al.

CHENEY'S INVESTMENTS WILL SHOW PROFITS WHEN OUR ECONOMY (yours & mine) WILL FAIL

BTW: the whole article is worth reading . . . the whole article, every word.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #24 of 79
i read about this in the papers. Its not like HAL is ceding its work in our gulf, or anywhere in the states. they are making an office in another country. the business they still do with america will be subject to american regulations, as usual, and as a PTC they are subject to certain filings with the SEC. i haven't heard talk of HAL stopping or transferring any american projects (aside from the KBR spin-off).
post #25 of 79
I love reading the Internets.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #26 of 79
Quote:

How about enlightening me with a link to your KBR (value $10,832,000,000) claims?

Clips from "Iraq For Sale".

What does the "value" of the company have to do with anything? Also, you are wrong, check the link below - total market cap is 3.68 billion.

Brown and Root was incorporated in 1929, so they have had plenty of time to build up that valuation. Apple computer is worth 25 times that - does that automatically make them 25 times as evil?

I already posted the wikipedia link, but here is one from yahoo finance:

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=KBR

Net profit margin 0.94% - this is a crappy low profit company. Again, compare that to Apple, who has an 11.74% net profit margin.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #27 of 79
Quote:

Business is business. How about running one without fucking it up?

Frontline: Private Warriors

Tip of the iceberg, but you get the point.

None of this matters when the VP of the US runs the country. Whoever gets elected gets the prize, prize being the ability to screw our own country and the U.S. Tax payer. Bush & Cheney over and over and over again have done this. Do nothing congress did nothing. Republicans would sell mothers for a penny.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #28 of 79
Quote:

Fellowship

Don't be such a twit Fellowship.

You know perfectly well that those conservative Christians who chose to support Bush did so largely on the basis of the GOP's stand on abortion and other socio-cultural issues. Many supported Bush out of fear that a Kerry presidency would have condemned many more unborn children to death, right at a time when Pro-life efforts like Crisis Pregnancy Centres are having a huge impact in turning the tide in the abortion fight.

Conservative Christians form only one plank of the GOP's base - and the Iraq war strategy was devised and executed by the neo-cons, another faction of the GOP.

Saying that Christians as a group set out to profit from this war, support "anything and everything Bush does" and somehow now support greed, murder and looting is just your own personal Holier Than Thou routine in action.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #29 of 79
Quote:

What does the "value" of the company have to do with anything?

Well I've been spinned again. I think my feelings toward the matter have been linked and submitted. Take the profit angle to the limit, still think they have destroyed the overall image of the United States and the Military.

Oh, and too bad for all the companies and contractors that could have made a difference. They were ignored by Halliburton in the contract process.

I'm done.

EDIT: I'm not finished. I went back to the "Iraq for Sale" documentary to lift a point from it about these companies and profit.

Pope John Paul said, "Profit by itself is not a sufficient motivation for business endeavors."

These companies are operating in the realm of greed. They are not operating in the realm of morality.

Profit has nothing to do with KBR.
post #30 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

How do you reconcile your Christian faith with the unprovoked invasion of a country that had done America no harm, and was militarily not capable of such? How do you support the act of "attacking first", and the deliberate destruction of civilian infrastructure/facilities essential to the wellbeing of Iraqi civilians? This is 180º against every Christian principle (not forgetting both US and international law). Also, knowing that the ratio of casualties (civilian:soldier) in modern warfare now runs at 10:1, and that 40% of the Iraqi population are children under 14 years of age?, and to wage war against that country in the way we did (Shock and Awe) would result in massive civilian casualties, does that not strike you as being the actions of people who don't give a damn about humanity, (unless its the wellbeing of their corporate buddies)?

Incidentally, Christians should abide by the Ten Commandments (rather than just quoting them when its comvenient), but the (Iraq) war breaks # 1,4,6,8,9 and 10.

Perhaps he was meaning "killing the enemy then robbing them". Much of Iraq's priceless historical artifacts from its many thousand year old history have disappeared, or been assimilated into private collections.

post #31 of 79
Quote:

Profit has nothing to do with KBR.[/B]

Exactly, they are getting spun off to shareholders because they have nothing to do with profit (i.e. they seem unable to make one). They aren't operating "in the realm of greed", they are operating so close to zero margin that one false move could sink the business.

I don't think that Haliburton had much to do with the current bad image of the USA - they just had the misfortune of getting bad publicitiy that got picked up and exaggerated by the anti-corporate crowd.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #32 of 79
Republicans have this odd fixation on supporting everything Oil and Big Business related. Even if they don't directly profit or benefit from being supporters of them. Yet they feel the need to protect them and fight their fight for them.

It's weird. I don't get it.

Do they all think that someday they're all going to get lucky and become a corporate CEO earning millions of dollars a year?

Or is it simply "down is up" syndrome. You know, if a liberal is against it then they support the opposite, regardless.
post #33 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post

None of this matters when the VP of the US runs the country. Whoever gets elected gets the prize, prize being the ability to screw our own country and the U.S. Tax payer. Bush & Cheney over and over and over again have done this. Do nothing congress did nothing. Republicans would sell mothers for a penny.

One word: Unhinged.
post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant View Post

No, not most regular americans like you. You'd have to be somehow invested in a company that directly or indirectly did. That's kinda sorta the point. That's cool if you want to ignore it, because it's people like you who help the companies I'm invested in do so well.

OK wait...we invaded Iraq for corporate interests? Come on giant. You can do better than that.
post #35 of 79
Quote:

Exactly, they are getting spun off to shareholders because they have nothing to do with profit (i.e. they seem unable to make one).

I don't think that Haliburton had much to do with the current bad image of the USA - they just had the misfortune of getting bad publicitiy that got picked up and exaggerated by the anti-corporate crowd.

You're a shareholder, aren't you. \

Don't answer that. I'm not here anymore.
post #36 of 79
ad nau·se·am [ad naw-zee-uhm, -am] Pronunciation Key
- adverb

to a sickening or disgusting degree.

[Origin: < L: lit., to seasickness]
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Republicans have this odd fixation on supporting everything Oil and Big Business related. Even if they don't directly profit or benefit from being supporters of them. Yet they feel the need to protect them and fight their fight for them.

Do they all think that someday they're all going to get lucky and become a corporate CEO earning millions of dollars a year?

Or is it simply "down is up" syndrome. You know, if a liberal is against it then they support the opposite, regardless.

If you are talking about me, I have never voted Republican - and also I am against BS propaganda regardless of where it comes from (the anti-corporate types or Fox News, it is all the same to me).

And the only public stock I own is Apple.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #38 of 79
Quote:

OK wait...we invaded Iraq for corporate interests? Come on giant. You can do better than that.

You can't honestly sit there and say that profiteering wasn't a major reason for invading Iraq. Oil. Reconstruction. Security. Huge profit centers.
post #39 of 79
Quote:

False. I am a Republican that thinks we need far greater regulation of the oil industry...right down to price controls for gasoline.

As for Big Business, well I believe (like most conservatives) in a free market economy. They can pay their CEOs whatever they want, as long as their shareholders go for it. I have no problem with them making money. Making money is good.

Yes, I realize those two ideas contradict, and I can explain my position. Gasoline, for example, has become an unquestionable necessity in our modern world. Just like public utilities and (and certain food items, like milk) there needs to be some control in the interest of the public good. If Apple Computer makes the largest profit in history, that's good for them. But when an industry that has total control over the consumer is making those kind of profits, action must be taken.
post #40 of 79
Quote:

You can't honestly sit there and say that profiteering wasn't a major reason for invading Iraq. Oil. Reconstruction. Security. Huge profit centers.

Where is the oil? Hmm? And reconstruction...you're telling me we went ot war for Halliburton's sake? I mean....you actually believe that?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Don't let the door hit you in the @#$ Halliburton