or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Briefly: Apple UK blunder hints at Mac Pro update

Briefly: Apple UK blunder hints at Mac Pro update

post #1 of 156
A slip-up on Apple's UK online store has revealed that a Mac Pro workstation with 8 cores of processing power is inching closer to a release.

"Now quad-core or 8-core processing power," read a caption next to the company's existing Mac Pro offering. "Configure yours today."

The blooper corroborates an exclusive AppleInsider report from last October which first laid out the Mac maker's plans for an 8-core Mac Pro.

Although development of the system was reported to have wrapped up some time ago, Apple has thus far decided to defer the release until closer to the launch of Adobe's Creative Suite 3.0 (CS3) software bundle.

Sales of the current Mac Pro have been slow from the get-go, as Apple's creative professional user base has largely deferred purchasing the new Intel systems while they await native software support in CS3.

The new Mac Pro, people familiar with the systems have said, will achieve 8-core status through the adoption of two Intel quad-core Xeon 5300 series "Clovertown" chips.

On Monday, Apple's UK store offered evidence of an impending 8-core Mac Pro.
post #2 of 156
Give it two weeks and I reckon these things'll be out.
post #3 of 156
Same design?!
post #4 of 156
Regarding the design: why change something that is perfect?
post #5 of 156
What's wrong with the enclosure?

I for one am really glad they didn't slim it down for the Intel transition, because instead of making it smaller, they've just gutted it and packed it full of awesome features.

I'd love a Mac Pro.
post #6 of 156
My guess is there will be an 8-core option on Tuesday. I'm just not sure which one.
post #7 of 156
The Apple store in the UK is DOWN!"!!!!11111!!!!

OMG!!!!
post #8 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Democaster. View Post

What's wrong with the enclosure?

I for one am really glad they didn't slim it down for the Intel transition, because instead of making it smaller, they've just gutted it and packed it full of awesome features.

I'd love a Mac Pro.

they need a better chip set with more pci-e lanes.
post #9 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

OMG!!!!

Maybe to remove the error?
post #10 of 156
These "leaks" seem to happen quite often with Apple's web sites.
post #11 of 156
All these leaks are done on purpose. What I really want it's new hardware, as in new MacBook Pro or new iMac.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #12 of 156
It's tuesday tomorrow...
post #13 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Maybe to remove the error?

Why would they take the entire store down to correct the error? They didn't need to shut it down to make the error. You don't take down a web site to change a graphic. When they take down there store it means there's a product release.
post #14 of 156
Hmm, maybe these'll be out today then...
post #15 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Democaster. View Post

Hmm, maybe these'll be out today then...

It is actually Tuesday over there now.
post #16 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It is actually Tuesday over there now.

So what was the price of Mac Pro in UK before the error ? 1699 UK for lower end ( quad core ) seems unbelievably expensive.... i mean Intel is NOT charging Apple same price for dual core they were in August yet it seems they're gonna charge the same ....

Unless lower end is going to jump from q2.0Ghz to q2.66Ghz , then q3.0Ghz $200 upgrade and octo 2.6ghz $800 upgrade. ( i just hope Apple doesnt give us 2.33Ghz octo , that would suck )
post #17 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

So what was the price of Mac Pro in UK before the error ? 1699 UK for lower end ( quad core ) seems unbelievably expensive.... i mean Intel is NOT charging Apple same price for dual core they were in August yet it seems they're gonna charge the same ....

Unless lower end is going to jump from q2.0Ghz to q2.66Ghz , then q3.0Ghz $200 upgrade and octo 2.6ghz $800 upgrade. ( i just hope Apple doesnt give us 2.33Ghz octo , that would suck )

I dunno if you're from the UK but there's vat and all kinds of stuff that makes their prices seem crazy, that makes it hard to tell what prices will e like over here in north america.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #18 of 156
Yes, we have VAT to take into account and all sorts of other things such as conversion rate.

As a comparison, here's some other price differences so you can see how the price tends to differ:

iPod Shuffle: $79, £55
Entry level iMac: $999, £679
Entry level MacBook: $1099, £749
Black MacBook: $1499, £999
MacBook Pro 17": $2799, £1899
Mac Pro: £2499, £1699

As you can see, in the case of the high end machines, it's only marginally less expensive than, say, flying to America and buying the stuff in person.
post #19 of 156
I'd love a Mac Pro too. I don't care about 8 cores though, I'm just waiting for a better vid. card.
post #20 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

All these leaks are done on purpose.

Carefully leaked rumors make up an important part the Apple marketing engine.
This is one Apple conspiracy theory that I do adhere to.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #21 of 156
This really kind of makes me think they'll be out tomorrow. Leaks like this are usually followed quickly by the product release. They're prepping and testing the new page after all.
post #22 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

1699 UK for lower end ( quad core ) seems unbelievably expensive.

That was for the 2.66 version, which was the default config. You could put it down to 2GHz and I think it came in around £1400.
post #23 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

...When they take down there store it means there's a product release.

Not always. About 3-5 weeks ago we got hyped up when Stores went down. The nearest Tuesday after that - nada, zip, nothing, zero.
post #24 of 156
When does the new exon chip set come out?
Apple may be waiting for it as it has a lot more pci-e lanes so they can start using cross fire / sli setups.
post #25 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

I'd love a Mac Pro too. I don't care about 8 cores though, I'm just waiting for a better vid. card.

And you'll get it, both from AMD and Nvidia. AMD will also bring Crossfire to the Mac. The next few months will be very interesting.
post #26 of 156
I think all Apple stores in Europe are down. Maybe the US store will go down tonight. My guess is an 8-core option will simply be added to what's there now.

What you have now:

Two 2.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon [Subtract $299]
\tTwo 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
\tTwo 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon [Add $799]

The dual quad-core Clovertown should max out at 2.66GHz so it'll look like this

\tTwo 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon [Add more than you've got]
post #27 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukito View Post

And you'll get it, both from AMD and Nvidia. AMD will also bring Crossfire to the Mac. The next few months will be very interesting.

This is certainly a very daring prediction. We will bow down with much respektz if this becomes true by end of June 2007. If it doesn't happen, I will personally ridicule you to no end.

But really, the 7300GT is a fracking JOKE for a video card in a MacPro. Given the amount of CPU power, X1900XT 256mb RAM should be the mainstream, IMHO. Quadros are a good high-end option. However, we should be seeing these sorts of cards available by end of June 2007, if what you are hinting at is true:

At least 7600GT, then 7900GS, 7900GT, X1900XT will cover 7900GTX (kinda), 7950GX2, 8800GTS, 8800GTX, QuadroStuffs...
7950GX2 can be skipped since the dual-GPU approach has been debunked as mostly hype.
post #28 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I think all Apple stores in Europe are down. Maybe the US store will go down tonight. My guess is an 8-core option will simply be added to what's there now.

What you have now:

It's Rolo! W00t. Interesting predictions on the dollar amounts.

I would like to see the following though if Apple really wants to beef up Mac Pro/ Adobe Universal CS3/ NAB announcement sales. They've got the pros lining up to be able to milk some nice high-margin tasty creamy profitz.

Starting at $2999 (instead of $2499) with a 7600GT 256mb RAM standard, 1GB RAM...

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon [Subtract $299]
\tTwo 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon [Recommended Stock Config]
\tTwo 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon [Add $999]

All air-cooled, existing enclosures.

As of 12am NewYorkCity time, US, UK, France Stores all still up.
When oh when will they put the Core2Duos in the MacMinis? I swear it will add at most US$2.00 to Apple's cost base for the MacMinis....
post #29 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Apple may be waiting for it as it has a lot more pci-e lanes so they can start using cross fire / sli setups.

I would have to put forward that all indications are that in the review of the past 2 years, Crossfire and SLI is simply not worth the cost, trouble, extra heat and extra PCIE lanes. For max GPU power, one would go for the nVidia Quadros. For high-end in MacPros, a 8800GTS or 8800GTX will be killer. Otherwise below that X1900XT, 7900GT, 7900GS, 7600GT in descending order.
post #30 of 156
i suddenly regret purchasing my mac pro....

i want an 8 core
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
post #31 of 156
Hmm, all those European stores that were down are back up with no detectable change. Maybe they just cleaned up an accidental slips. Maybe the new dual quad MP won't be announced Tuesday.
post #32 of 156
The 7600GT looks like a fine stock card for an updated Mac Pro. h.264 support fits in with the recent rumblings in the industry about moves toward gpu hardware decoding in Macs too. I wouldn't mind using the extra cash I would have dropped on a x1900 to put towards more ram instead.

So, does everyone think that the price point will remain the same or do you think that the product line might shift just a tad downward? Is a 2.66ghz 4-core still worth $2499 with a new graphics card? I think I'd be happy with a purchase like that... been waiting forever for this update anyways. \
2.66ghz Mac Pro - 5gb / 830gb / 7300gt 256mb
1ghz Tibook - 1gb / 60gb / 9000 64mb
iPhone - 8gb

netbanshee.com
2.66ghz Mac Pro - 5gb / 830gb / 7300gt 256mb
1ghz Tibook - 1gb / 60gb / 9000 64mb
iPhone - 8gb

netbanshee.com
post #33 of 156
Quote:

OMG!!!!

Yes. They had to dispose of a corpse and had to drive all the way out to the moors.
post #34 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

So you want double the lanes to get like 2% more performance?
post #35 of 156
Quote:

What you have now:

that's nonsense. No way Apple is gonna do an update and leave SAME pricing for product they had out for almost 9 months. Dual core Xeon is down at retail almost $200 from August.
Also Quadcore 2.66 Xeon is only $500 more than Dualcore 2.66 Xeon, so $3300 for octo is pretty much certainty.
post #36 of 156
Quote:

My guess is there will be an 8-core option on Tuesday. I'm just not sure which one.

Which option, or which Tuesday?

Heh heh.
post #37 of 156
Quote:

OMG!!!!

What are you so excited about? From where you are, it's been discontinued several years ago.
post #38 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

This is certainly a very daring prediction. We will bow down with much respektz if this becomes true by end of June 2007. If it doesn't happen, I will personally ridicule you to no end.

But really, the 7300GT is a fracking JOKE for a video card in a MacPro. Given the amount of CPU power, X1900XT 256mb RAM should be the mainstream, IMHO. Quadros are a good high-end option. However, we should be seeing these sorts of cards available by end of June 2007, if what you are hinting at is true:

At least 7600GT, then 7900GS, 7900GT, X1900XT will cover 7900GTX (kinda), 7950GX2, 8800GTS, 8800GTX, QuadroStuffs...
7950GX2 can be skipped since the dual-GPU approach has been debunked as mostly hype.

We seem to have this same discussion all of the time.

Those who don't play 3D shooter games, or do any 3D work, don't need a high end card.

Most graphics, photo, video, publishing and other authoring users will do just fine with a card that is weak in 3D.
post #39 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordak View Post

i want an 8 core

When the chip prices drop, you can stick them in yours.
post #40 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordak View Post

i want an 8 core

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

When the chip prices drop, you can stick them in yours.

Just so Mordak doesn't get confused/offended, Melgross means that you can stick new quad-core chips in your MacPro, fairly "easy" replacement along the lines of: http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/09/....core.mac.pro/
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Briefly: Apple UK blunder hints at Mac Pro update