or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Briefly: Apple UK blunder hints at Mac Pro update

Briefly: Apple UK blunder hints at Mac Pro update - Page 2

post #41 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We seem to have this same discussion all of the time.
Those who don't play 3D shooter games, or do any 3D work, don't need a high end card.
Most graphics, photo, video, publishing and other authoring users will do just fine with a card that is weak in 3D.

I think the merits of powerful video cards alongside CoreImage, CoreAnimation, Leopard, CS3, Final Cut Studio, yes/ no/ good/ bad/ important/ depends/ etc is a debate we shan't get into.

I feel though from a marketing and "feeling" (hard to quantify, I know) point of view, a 7600GT 256MB VRAM would just be a nice and sweet starter card as a minimum, and probably a simple bump that Apple would do alongside the 8core revision.
post #42 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Just so Mordak doesn't get confused/offended, Melgross means that you can stick new quad-core chips in your MacPro, fairly "easy" replacement along the lines of: http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/09/....core.mac.pro/

The Mac Pro is a big purchase for me and I'd like it to last a while and be able to upgrade in the future. If the 45nm chips won't work with these 65nm ones, would it be worth it to wait? Will these 2.66 quad-core chips be the last ones that'll fit into this Mac Pro?
post #43 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomos View Post

The Mac Pro is a big purchase for me and I'd like it to last a while and be able to upgrade in the future. If the 45nm chips won't work with these 65nm ones, would it be worth it to wait? Will these 2.66 quad-core chips be the last ones that'll fit into this Mac Pro?

Honestly, I doubt you'll ever upgrade the cpus. They are very capable cpu's as of right now, let alone what the next rev will bring us. I certainly feel you'll get bottlenecks in ram / graphics card(s) way before the cpus. The Xeons are so expensive, it would hardly be worth it to upgrade than to sell and buy a new one.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #44 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post

Regarding the design: why change something that is perfect?

In my eyes, perfect is instant video encoding in the size of a Mac Mini or an iPhone.
post #45 of 156
Whatever Mac you buy will last 7-10 years. I have an original iMac running Tiger (with upgraded RAM and hard disk), and an original PowerMac dual G5 that I'm pretty sure will last for 2 more OS upgrades after Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomos View Post

post #46 of 156
Forget the 8 core MacPro. I just want a MacPro for under $1000 - even if it's only a dual core.
post #47 of 156
Those of you that wake up early and have morning devotions, remember to say a prayer for a European webmaster who is currently scared, alone and lying in the fetal position on the floor of his apartment.

Because once Jobs wakes up this morning, that poor guy is going to need Divine Intervention.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #48 of 156
the guy will be lucky to just get fired.
post #49 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Those of you that wake up early and have morning devotions, remember to say a prayer for a European webmaster who is currently scared, alone and lying in the fetal position on the floor of his apartment.
....Because once Jobs wakes up this morning, that poor guy is going to need Divine Intervention.

British, more specifically, probably, but yeah, he is FU(KED BIG TIME.
I shall say a short prayer for him here.

May his Sins be forgiven
By the Almighty iLeader,
Give us today more Cores
May it be fulfilled,
In Cupertino as it is
In the World.
post #50 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macvault View Post

Forget the 8 core MacPro. I just want a MacPro for under $1000 - even if it's only a dual core.

Say, something like that? Oh, you said MacPro.
post #51 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

In my eyes, perfect is instant video encoding in the size of a Mac Mini or an iPhone.

You want something like this: http://www.fujitsu.com/global/news/p...061130-01.html
Only faster, better, cheaper, smaller, actually used by Apple, etc. 8)
post #52 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by paprochy View Post

the guy will be lucky to just get fired.

Oh, come on. It is almost four years now that such leaks "plague" the Apple Store. I am not saying that all of them are on purpose, but do you believe that all of them are accidental? Apple learned very well how to play.
post #53 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Say, something like that? Oh, you said MacPro.

I don't care what they call it, but I want a BYOKMD headless machine that is more flexible, with room for drives, with pci slots, etc. for under $1000. The $700-$800 range would be great. That shouldn't be asking for too much. Come on, it's 2007 already. Dell does it. The iMac is great for what it is, but not a solution to what I'm looking for.
post #54 of 156
Quote:

I don't care what they call it, but I want a BYOKMD headless machine that is more flexible, with room for drives, with pci slots, etc. for under $1000. The $700-$800 range would be great. That shouldn't be asking for too much. Come on, it's 2007 already. Dell does it. The iMac is great for what it is, but not a solution to what I'm looking for.

Yeah right. Just look at those Dell machines you're referring to. Want a hideous machine? Get a Dell.
post #55 of 156
Quote:

Here on AppleInsider we refer to it as the Mac MidiTower. Or more specifically, El Misterioso.
Your calls for such a Mac long echoes with many many other users through the eons.
[This sounds sarcastic but it's not, I'm just being cheeky].
post #56 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by doemel View Post

Yeah right. Just look at those Dell machines you're referring to. Want a hideous machine? Get a Dell.

W000t!

post #57 of 156
And bringing new meaning to "Buy a DELL and burn in HELL"....

post #58 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Although development of the system was reported to have wrapped up some time ago, Apple has thus far decided to defer the release until closer to the launch of Adobe's Creative Suite 3.0 (CS3) software bundle.

Huh? Why on earth would you wait for an 8 core Mac to run Illustrator or Photoshop? It's simply not needed.

No, if they're waiting on any software it's Final Cut 6 and the NAB show.
post #59 of 156
...and this is one of the biggest problems with Mac OS X - you're at the mercy of what Apple thinks will be good for their business model - not what is good for the user. And there's NO competition when it comes to Mac hardware, so Apple has nothing to worry about. This PISSES ME OFF!

This is how PISSED I am:
Bye everyone. I'm switching to XP and Dell where I can buy commoditized hardware in whatever configuration I desire. My brand new MacBook will be on eBay shortly. Message me if you're interested. Sure, Dells are cheaply made and shittily designed, but it's just a tool and I shove it under the desk and forget about it.

post #60 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Huh? Why on earth would you wait for an 8 core Mac to run Illustrator or Photoshop? It's simply not needed.

No, if they're waiting on any software it's Final Cut 6 and the NAB show.

Graphics Pros are waiting on CS3 to upgrade, and most will want a machine on the newer side of its life cycle. Businesses do these things in cycles and this will be some people's only chance in 3 years to get a new machine and software.

It doesn't matter if if not needed, it matters that Apple gets in sync with corporate market budgeting.
post #61 of 156
Quote:

...and this is one of the biggest problems with Mac OS X - you're at the mercy of what Apple thinks will be good for their business model - not what is good for the user. And there's NO competition when it comes to Mac hardware, so Apple has nothing to worry about. This PISSES ME OFF!

This is how PISSED I am:
Bye everyone. I'm switching to Vista and Dell where I can buy commoditized hardware in whatever configuration I desire. Sure, Dells are cheaply made and shittily designed, but it's just a tool and I shove it under the desk and forget about it.

Bye. Don't let the door...

Good luck "forgetting" about Windows when it gets in your face every day.

Also, enjoy the Vista EULA that allow Redmond to remotely search and delete stuff from your hard drive if it believes that software to be a threat.
post #62 of 156
Quote:

Also, enjoy the Vista EULA that allow Redmond to remotely search and delete stuff from your hard drive if it believes that software to be a threat.

Ok, Vista sucks. I'll use XP SP2 or Server 2003.
post #63 of 156
Quote:

Graphics Pros are waiting on CS3 to upgrade, and most will want a machine on the newer side of its life cycle. Businesses do these things in cycles and this will be some people's only chance in 3 years to get a new machine and software.

It doesn't matter if if not needed, it matters that Apple gets in sync with corporate market budgeting.

Agreed. ...IMHO whether Leopard is part of this equation is up in the air. As I mentioned before, yes, it could push a lot of Leopard adoption if Leopard ships with new Mac Pros. But it is (A) rushing to finish off properly for Apple and (B) requires a real "early adopter" attitude for the pro/prosumer/enthusiast...
post #64 of 156
Quote:

This is how PISSED I am:
Bye everyone. I'm switching to XP and Dell where I can buy commoditized hardware in whatever configuration I desire. My brand new MacBook will be on eBay shortly. Message me if you're interested. Sure, Dells are cheaply made and shittily designed, but it's just a tool and I shove it under the desk and forget about it.

Is that a Core2Duo? How much RAM? 8) ...Also, why don't you build your own machine -- then you *REALLY* have whatever configuration you can possibly desire. Like a 8800GTX in some sort of tiny case with no fans... Mmmm... fireworks.

Seriously dude, don't buy a Dell. Go get a DSP3 Gigabyte board for Core2Duo. Get an e6400 or 6600 and add Zalman CPU heatsink/fan and overclock that sucker to 3ghz easy and cool. 8800GTX or more reasonably 7900GS 256 or 512mb RAM. Replace stock heatsink with Zalman GPU dual-heatpipe cooler. Then overclock that sucker. Sweet. Next up: 16x DVDBurner etc. Next, RAID0 pair of 10,000rpm SATA drives. Awww yeahh. Some neon lights, neon case fans, and your set. --- also get a 600W or more rated PowerSupplyUnit, Zalman as well if possible, with large low-noise fans and heatpipes. Your case fans should all be 120mm at low rpms with vibration dampeners .... also a passive 5.25" aluminium/copper cooler case for your two 3.5" drives. Dual 120mm intake fans on the front and dual 120mm outflow fans on the back. Now RAM... DDR2-1066 4-4-4-12 or better (??1!!!) rated HyperX Kingston, OCZ, or Corsairs... 4gb in 2x1gb dual channel configs. (2x1gb, 2x1gb for 1gb each in 4 slots total)...... Aww yeah.
post #65 of 156
Quote:

Is that a Core2Duo? How much RAM?...

Yep, had the MacBook about two months. C2D 2Ghz 80GB 1GB RAM Superdrive. Includes Final Cut Express HD (unopened box), Tiger, etc. No dead pixels. I'm in the middle east right now until March 22nd and MacBook is back at home in US, so it will be a couple weeks till I can ship it.
post #66 of 156
Quote:

Eh, we are Mac fans but Macvault has certainly a point, he just expressed it in a rather bold way.

Too bad Apple would not address such issues. Mind you, I am not saying Apple is wrong here since I don't know the details of its business strategy and company economics. And this topic has been beaten beyond death here and elsewhere.

Good luck Macvault.
post #67 of 156
Quote:

Yep, had the MacBook about two months. C2D 2Ghz 80GB 1GB RAM Superdrive. Includes Final Cut Express HD (unopened box), Tiger, etc. No dead pixels. I'm in the middle east right now until March 22nd and MacBook is back at home in US, so it will be a couple weeks till I can ship it.

Dude, that is a sweet laptop. You sure you wanna get rid of it? Sorry if the Mac experience didn't work out the way you wanted it. There's no need to sell it, I have a MacBook Core[1]Duo 2ghz 2gb RAM, 60gb HD Superdrive 4x ... Running an external monitor (Sony 1280x1024 17") when "docked" on my desk. The Sony also runs off my AMD64 2.15ghz 1gb RAM nVidia6600GT 128mb VRAM for games. The AMD64 dual-boots WinXP2Pro for games, and VistaBusiness for checking out the competition. Also, Parallels on my MacBook runs WinXP2Pro, with 640mb - 1gb allocated depending on what I feel like.

We can have the best of both worlds. Dumping your Mac and getting a crappy Dell, IMHO, won't be fun. Getting a decent PC rig to do all the tinkering and upgrading and gaming, alongside your Mac, is a great hybrid setup.
post #68 of 156
Quote:

It's not like a buyer doesn't go in to this with their eyes shut or that Apple has suddenly sprung their strategy on you. Either Apple products are a solution worth buying in to for you or they aren't. Go look elsewhere if they don't sell what you want.

It's also not as if their hardware is drastically overpriced or slow either. It's a dictatorship but mostly benign.

Quote:

Graphics Pros are waiting on CS3 to upgrade, and most will want a machine on the newer side of its life cycle.

...but not an 8 core Mac Pro. An iMac is overkill for most of CS3's target audience. I'm waiting for CS3 (and the AlienSkin and ex-Extensis plugins) before moving to Intel from my G5 but I'm not waiting on new Mac Pros before buying CS3. It really doesn't matter if the hardware is last month's bleeding edge, I've got work to do. Most Pros buy equipment when they need it. They don't sit on their hands waiting on rumours, otherwise they'll always be waiting.

Saying that, I'm waiting on Santa Rosa based MacBook Pros. A couple more months of G5/CS2 is neither here nor there to me.
post #69 of 156
Quote:

Dude, that is a sweet laptop. You sure you wanna get rid of it? Sorry if the Mac experience didn't work out the way you wanted it. There's no need to sell it, I have a MacBook Core[1]Duo 2ghz 2gb RAM, 60gb HD Superdrive 4x ... Running an external monitor (Sony 1280x1024 17") when "docked" on my desk. The Sony also runs off my AMD64 2.15ghz 1gb RAM nVidia6600GT 128mb VRAM for games. The AMD64 dual-boots WinXP2Pro for games, and VistaBusiness for checking out the competition. Also, Parallels on my MacBook runs WinXP2Pro, with 640mb - 1gb allocated depending on what I feel like.

We can have the best of both worlds. Dumping your Mac and getting a crappy Dell, IMHO, won't be fun. Getting a decent PC rig to do all the tinkering and upgrading and gaming, alongside your Mac, is a great hybrid setup.

Yea, but I still have an old iBook G4 800 - one heck of a robust workhorse - for my portable needs (email/web/internet/etc). But for my home computer I need something more flexible/modifyable - and at a commodity-level price tag. And I don't need two laptops. When Apple improves in these areas of hardware options I will think about switching back. I HATE being at the mercy of them dictating my hardware options. And, yes, I know this topic has been beaten to death. But it still remains an issue.
post #70 of 156
Quote:

I'm switching to XP and Dell where I can buy commoditized hardware in whatever configuration I desire. My brand new MacBook will be on eBay shortly.

Why did you get a laptop if you wanted a desktop? The Mini is half the price of the Macbook and it's a cheap way to tide you over while Apple get their ass in gear and give us a middle of the road headless Mac. Just don't get the 1.83 one because it's a complete rip-off.

I agree that Dell have so much more choice and I really wish Apple would do something about it. I configured a nice little headless machine for £680:

1.86 GHz Core 2 Duo
2GB Ram
250GB HD
8x DVD writer
256MB Radeon X1300 Pro
Keyboard and mouse

If you consider a similar Mini:

1.83 GHz Core Duo
2GB Ram
160 Gb HD
8x DVD writer
Intel GMA graphics
Keyboard and mouse

and we get £893 - even though it's a worse machine!!! It's still over £200 more. Hence, rip-off.

What about the iMac you say? Well, the base model with a good GPU is still £799 so it's already more than £100 extra and that's before the Ram upgrade. Plus you get lumbered with a crappy screen.

After being forced to get a Mini to run OS X in my price range, I am now pissed off at the integrated graphics and the fact that Apple still haven't updated their Mini range in over 6 months. Dell is certainly looking like the way forward. A lot of people thought that the Intel switch would give us more choice and faster hardware updates. Well, I guess they were wrong, Apple are just the same on the Intel side.

Concerning build quality, I wouldn't mind having to replace parts as I know how to do it and at least I can open the Dell easily. All the Mac Minis I've used have this really annoying hard drive clunking issue too. Plus I get two years of service compared to one from Apple. If I didn't need to run OS X and Apple software, I'd honestly be sitting with a Dell right now and it's not clever of Apple to do this - force people to use their shoddy hardware deals in return for a good desktop experience. This is why their market share is so low because they are not appealling to the largest part of the market.
post #71 of 156
Are you guys serious? You're switching back? Whoa.
post #72 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Democaster. View Post

Are you guys serious? You're switching back? Whoa.

DAMN STRAIGHT! I just wish Mac OS X would run on Dell, etc. But oh well. That's how pissed I am about Apple's hardware DICTATORSHIP to it's users. I've had it! I'm done!
post #73 of 156
Quote:

...But for my home computer I need something more flexible/modifyable - and at a commodity-level price tag. And I don't need two laptops. When Apple improves in these areas of hardware options I will think about switching back. I HATE being at the mercy of them dictating my hardware options. And, yes, I know this topic has been beaten to death. But it still remains an issue.

I agree apple needs a "mac pro lite" tower. Say with some E6300/6400/6600 options on the processor, room for 2nd internal hard drive and a 2nd optical drive. That'd be pretty nice-- perfect for my wife actually. I'm switching over to mac and she wants to switch as well.

Basically, I have no decision... mac pro is overkill for her and the mini is too underpowered (she will do some music recording). So... I have get her an iMac (even though i dont like the non-expandable, builtin design and i think the thing looks ugly-- the plain flat panel on the desk just looks so much cleaner than a bulky looking iMac, doesnt it?). A mini C2D might suit her needs appropriately, if that ever happens-- but at the expense of expandability.

BTW: I'm getting a mac pro for myself, when the next price drop/refresh happens. [Programmer, switching over from linux]
post #74 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by XwinX View Post

...So... I have get her an iMac (even though i dont like the non-expandable, builtin design and i think the thing looks ugly-- the plain flat panel on the desk just looks so much cleaner than a bulky looking iMac, doesnt it?...

You've got that right! I like a very thin bezel around the edge of the screen. The current iMac looks so stupid with that big white border and the huge white area on the bottom.

Damn! Apple could put their logo on a frickin dog turd, charge big $$$$$ and people would go crazy over it.
post #75 of 156
Quote:

DAMN STRAIGHT! I just wish Mac OS X would run on Dell, etc. But oh well. That's how pissed I am about Apple's hardware DICTATORSHIP to it's users. I've had it! I'm done!

Bye. x x x
post #76 of 156
Quote:

Have you much experience with Windows? Having switched back to Macs I can tell you that you're in for a serious *relearning* experience. I've pcs at work and it's a painful experience to use them. Good luck and I won't think less of you if you decide to come back to the Mac community.
post #77 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Why did you get a laptop if you wanted a desktop? The Mini is half the price of the Macbook and it's a cheap way to tide you over while Apple get their ass in gear and give us a middle of the road headless Mac. Just don't get the 1.83 one because it's a complete rip-off.

You could be waiting a long time. There's no indication Apple are going to dip into the low margin end of the desktop market and with desktop sales in the consumer sector declining, why would they?

(and the answer isn't because 20 geeks on AppleInsider said so)

Quote:

I agree that Dell have so much more choice and I really wish Apple would do something about it. I configured a nice little headless machine for £680:

Ah, the tyranny of choice. Dells, Dells everywhere but not an OS that doesn't stink.

Quote:

1.86 GHz Core 2 Duo
2GB Ram
250GB HD
8x DVD writer
256MB Radeon X1300 Pro
Keyboard and mouse

XPS 210 Headless? Pity they don't let you pick any card other than the X1300. To do that you've got to buy one of their crappy monitors.

Quote:

If you consider a similar Mini:

1.83 GHz Core Duo
2GB Ram
160 Gb HD
8x DVD writer
Intel GMA graphics
Keyboard and mouse

and we get £893 - even though it's a worse machine!!! It's still over £200 more. Hence, rip-off.

You also get a tiny small form factor and almost silent operation which you don't from Dell. And you bought the ram and HD upgrade from Apple? Are you nuts? You could have saved yourself £75-100 just there and had a spare drive left over to stick in a £10 external drive case for backup.

Quote:

What about the iMac you say? Well, the base model with a good GPU is still £799 so it's already more than £100 extra and that's before the Ram upgrade. Plus you get lumbered with a crappy screen.

You won't get a 17" screen as good as the iMac's screen for less than £150-170 so I'd beg to differ. Many of the cheap widescreen 17"s flooding the market are based on 6bit panels which sell to gamers based on over-inflated OMG!!! 2ms speed claims glossing over the fact they cant display colour accurately when their frag fest has finished.

Of course, there's nothing stopping attaching ANOTHER screen. Apart from that, it's also a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo with an X1600 GPU.

Quote:

After being forced to get a Mini to run OS X in my price range, I am now pissed off at the integrated graphics and the fact that Apple still haven't updated their Mini range in over 6 months. Dell is certainly looking like the way forward. A lot of people thought that the Intel switch would give us more choice and faster hardware updates. Well, I guess they were wrong, Apple are just the same on the Intel side.

You do know you can swap out the Mac Mini's CPU for a Core 2 Duo CPU don't you? They're pin compatible. Just as you could on the Dell.

Yes, Apple are overdue a refresh on the Mini but the only refresh that really makes sense is to wait for Intel's next GMA laptop chipset and that's only just trickling out. A Core 2 Duo upgrade alone makes very little sense.

Quote:

Concerning build quality, I wouldn't mind having to replace parts as I know how to do it and at least I can open the Dell easily. All the Mac Minis I've used have this really annoying hard drive clunking issue too.

The hard drive clunk is a function of the brand of laptop drive used. When it powers down it sometimes clunks. If you don't want it making that noise, set the drive to not ever sleep in the energy saver prefs. Or replace it with a different brand. Or just get used to it. It's not like Apple are the only ones with this brand of drive.

I agree with you about getting inside a Mini though. It doesn't really have to be so difficult. Same thing with the iMac. I've a Rev A G5 and it's IMHO Apple's best ever design for accessibility in the non-PowerMac models.

If they'd made it easier, perhaps the cries for mid towers would be less. The Mac Mini could have been a nice Kurobox style community dev platform.

Quote:

Plus I get two years of service compared to one from Apple. If I didn't need to run OS X and Apple software, I'd honestly be sitting with a Dell right now and it's not clever of Apple to do this - force people to use their shoddy hardware deals in return for a good desktop experience. This is why their market share is so low because they are not appealling to the largest part of the market.

The largest part of the market after laptops is business desktops. It's not about the hardware there, it's entirely software. There's also very little profit there.
post #78 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

All these leaks are done on purpose. What I really want it's new hardware, as in new MacBook Pro or new iMac.

i thought you were more interested in Leopard
post #79 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Have you much experience with Windows? Having switched back to Macs I can tell you that you're in for a serious *relearning* experience. I've pcs at work and it's a painful experience to use them. Good luck and I won't think less of you if you decide to come back to the Mac community.

I'm not in any way a Windows/MS fanboy. I've been a Mac lover for the last 20 years.
Experience with Windows?... Here's an excerpt from my resume:

TECHNICAL SKILLS

LAN / WAN Administration
Understanding of concepts, technologies, and best practices essential to LAN / WAN design
Configuration of Cisco hardware such as routers, firewalls, switches and bridges
Data Center and Disaster Recovery Center design, research, engineering and construction
Installation and administration of Exchange email servers, Active Directory domain controllers, and SQL
Administration of Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2000/XP, Mac OS X, Linux, HPUX, and FreeBSD
Provisioning of wide and local area networks utilizing Frame Relay, T1, VPN, OC, MPLS and wireless
Maintenance and execution of backup schedules and media rotation for servers and databases
Installation and repair of CAT5e/6, fiber optic, coaxial cable, and wireless network infrastructure
Management of network services such as TCP/IP, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SMTP, DNS and DHCP

Computer Hardware
Evaluation, acquisition, and upgrades of Dell and HP rack-mount server hardware
Troubleshooting, diagnostics, and repair of faulty workstation and server hardware
Testing and installation of printers, scanners, modems, wired / wireless network adapters

Computer Software
Evaluation and testing of software in test environments before deploying to live systems
Remote installation and management of operating systems, software, device drivers, etc.
License management and detailed record keeping of software and license compliance
Software security and virus management and removal using enterprise-level virus mitigation tools

Help Desk & End User Support
Implementation and maintenance of help desk system to keep track of work order status and resolution
Clear, effective, and timely communication with management, co-workers, customers, and vendors
Unobtrusive troubleshooting of software, hardware, and network errors both remotely and on-site

EXPERIENCE

Network Administrator, (Financial Industry / Southern Oregon), July 2004 June 2006
Designed, configured, implemented and administered Local and Wide Area Networks for credit union
Supported end users and maintained all workstations, printers, scanners, servers and core systems
Worked with team to develop and manage Information Security Management System and related policies
Rolled out network and communications infrastructure for new credit union branch offices.
Designed, managed and maintained credit union data center infrastructure and systems.
Received training and experience on Harland Financial Solutions FSP, Ultradata and Ultrafis
Performed nightly data processing tasks, backup procedures, etc.

Network Technician, (Telecom Industry / Southern Oregon), December 1999 January 2002
Implemented and administered corporate LAN, workstations, printers, servers, cabling and phone systems
Researched, designed, built and managed ISP offering dialup and wireless ISP services
Supported and resolved technical and accounting issues for customers, staff and departments
post #80 of 156
Quote:

You've got that right! I like a very thin bezel around the edge of the screen. The current iMac looks so stupid with that big white border and the huge white area on the bottom.

Where else would I stick my Post-Its?

I quite like it. It adds weight to the design. I can understand where it's coming from design wise. You should perhaps learn about visual design before dissing it. Apple isn't perfect but they often follow well founded design rules like the rule of thirds or the golden proportion. There's a certain amount of design history too in the iMac going back as far as the original Mac.

Someone thinking Dells look cool, or worse are indifferent to the whole aesthetic properties of what they spend most of the day staring at, probably won't appreciate that I guess though.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Briefly: Apple UK blunder hints at Mac Pro update