or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › A plea to Harry Potter fans: Please support J.K. Rowling on her eBay lawsuit!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A plea to Harry Potter fans: Please support J.K. Rowling on her eBay lawsuit!

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
As we reported previously, JK Rowling is suing eBay for allowing illegal and fraudulent copies of her works to be sold on the auction site. Jo has managed to obtain an injunction which prevents eBay from listing illegal copies (namely e-versions of her books), which is binding until a May 23rd hearing.

Not only is Jo losing out from the auctioning of illegal books, but fans are being hoodwinked and wasting their money.

Marjorie, webmistress of the MuggleNet-affiliated collectors' advice site JKR's Army, was contacted by Neil Blair (Jo's lawyer) who asked fans to lend their support. Marjorie has set up a petition, which we strongly encourage you all to sign. We will soon have more ways you can help, but for now, visit this page for additional info.

Via MuggleNet


I have duly signed the petition and just as MuggleNet did, I strongly recommend all of you to sign that petition - irrespective of whether you are a Harry Potter fan or not. Thank you!
-Aayush Arya
Macworld and Apple Matters Author

Reply
-Aayush Arya
Macworld and Apple Matters Author

Reply
post #2 of 37
no.

at this point it is just greed. she doesn't need the money. who cares?
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

no.

at this point it is just greed. she doesn't need the money. who cares?

Yes, it's SO GREEDY to be remunerated for your life's work.

Do you agree with piracy in general, or only when you deem the victim to be rich enough already?
post #4 of 37
I don't care about Rowling or her silly books.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Yes, it's SO GREEDY to be remunerated for your life's work.

Do you agree with piracy in general, or only when you deem the victim to be rich enough already?

I don't condone piracy.

And just because I suggest that her actions are greedy doesn't mean I am making an excuse for others to steal her works. I am making the suggestion that her actions are not above-board. Appealing to the readers of her work to petition so that she can earn more money is the essence of mindless greed.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

no.

at this point it is just greed. she doesn't need the money. who cares?

There might be important legal ramifications if she doesn't pursue these types of claims.
post #7 of 37
Then why bring the fan's into it, if it is just a conventional defense of copyright.

See, it's not the lawsuit, it's the appeal to the fans.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Then why bring the fan's into it, if it is just a conventional defense of copyright.

See, it's not the lawsuit, it's the appeal to the fans.

Because EBay is more likely to respond in the court of popular opinion than in a court of law? Especially for some division of EBay in some other country. Hitting EBay reputation in the USEurope more likely to garner a positive result than tryinig to get EBay Pakistan respond with anything but legal delays.

/shrug

Piracy is one thing. Forgeries is another. Piracy is wrong but costs only money. Poorly written forgeries tarnishes the reputation of the author and branding of the francise.

Vinea
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Then why bring the fan's into it, if it is just a conventional defense of copyright.

See, it's not the lawsuit, it's the appeal to the fans.

Beats me.

Looks like JKR just wants a show of moral support from her fans.

I don't really have an opinion on that.
post #10 of 37
go piracy
post #11 of 37
She needs to offer those books in a format that readers want and she isn't doing that.

It's her fault for not catering to the market.

I am sure she can cry herself to sleep on her billions of dollars.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #12 of 37
I have really enjoyed the Harry Potter films. I have not read the books but know many that have. I think it's a great property and franchise.

However, I have some serious problems with JK Rawlings. During the announcement phase and production phases of the first Harry Potter movie she has made numerous disparaging remarks about Americans, American filmmakers and American actors. You can plop the DVD into the player and watch the "making of" for an example that she didn't care who directed the movie as long as it wasn't an American. She absolutely refused to audition or consider any American actors or writers. And then she went on, with a funny laugh, about how those Yanks Chris Columbus and Steven Kloves proved her wrong.

But it was the delivery and contempt in her voice for anything American that soured me to her as a human being and person.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

She needs to offer those books in a format that readers want and she isn't doing that.

It's her fault for not catering to the market.

I am sure she can cry herself to sleep on her billions of dollars.

Let's be fair.

She's only lying on one billion dollars. Not quite as comfy.
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
Reply
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
Reply
post #14 of 37
Having bought all the books and DVDs for my children (which they read and watch over and over and over), haven't I already "donated" enough money to her cause ?
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

I have really enjoyed the Harry Potter films. I have not read the books but know many that have. I think it's a great property and franchise.

However, I have some serious problems with JK Rawlings. During the announcement phase and production phases of the first Harry Potter movie she has made numerous disparaging remarks about Americans, American filmmakers and American actors. You can plop the DVD into the player and watch the "making of" for an example that she didn't care who directed the movie as long as it wasn't an American. She absolutely refused to audition or consider any American actors or writers. And then she went on, with a funny laugh, about how those Yanks Chris Columbus and Steven Kloves proved her wrong.

But it was the delivery and contempt in her voice for anything American that soured me to her as a human being and person.

What's wrong with hiring British actors to play British characters?

You wouldn't hire an Indian to play a black man, would you? WOULD YOU?

That's not anti-American. That's accurate. They hired Irish actors for Irish parts, Hungarian actors for Hungarian parts, and French actors for French parts. I don't think there's yet been an American in any of the books, but if there is one, there'll be an American hired for it.
post #16 of 37
There's nothing wrong with supporting your national film industry.
post #17 of 37
Why the hell is she suing eBay, instead of the various nefarious folks who are actually selling the pirated goods? If she succeeds in forcing online marketplaces to act as proxies for the FBI and RIAA/MPAA, I just might have to boycott her last book. Dammit.

But I think I'll be OK. If the RIAA hasn't succeeded in this grail quest yet, I doubt little Ms. Rowling will.
post #18 of 37
people don't understand the goodness of piracy
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by illutionz View Post

people don't understand the goodness of piracy

Few people understand the virtue of property rights. Or the concept of a principle.

V/R,

Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

I have really enjoyed the Harry Potter films. I have not read the books but know many that have. I think it's a great property and franchise.

However, I have some serious problems with JK Rawlings. During the announcement phase and production phases of the first Harry Potter movie she has made numerous disparaging remarks about Americans, American filmmakers and American actors. You can plop the DVD into the player and watch the "making of" for an example that she didn't care who directed the movie as long as it wasn't an American. She absolutely refused to audition or consider any American actors or writers. And then she went on, with a funny laugh, about how those Yanks Chris Columbus and Steven Kloves proved her wrong.

But it was the delivery and contempt in her voice for anything American that soured me to her as a human being and person.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, right? Hollywood's reputation simply preceded it .

Who's this JK Rawlings that you have serious problems with?

V/R,
Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
post #21 of 37
Why does she need my support when she has an army of lawyers to represent her?
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries 1B View Post

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, right? Hollywood's reputation simply preceded it .

Who's this JK Rawlings that you have serious problems with?

V/R,
Aries 1B


But she didn't say "Hollywood", did she? She said "Americans". Again, just my opinion of her.

Noted: name spelling.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

What's wrong with hiring British actors to play British characters?

You wouldn't hire an Indian to play a black man, would you? WOULD YOU?

That's not anti-American. That's accurate. They hired Irish actors for Irish parts, Hungarian actors for Hungarian parts, and French actors for French parts. I don't think there's yet been an American in any of the books, but if there is one, there'll be an American hired for it.


It's a good thing an American played Batman isn't it...oh...wait...a Brit plays Batman. Wow. And the world didn't end. Well at least Alfred was American. Damn. He's a Brit too.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

It's a good thing an American played Batman isn't it...oh...wait...a Brit plays Batman. Wow. And the world didn't end. Well at least Alfred was American. Damn. He's a Brit too.

Um, what?

Because a British actor played an American character at some point in time makes it perfectly acceptable for all other characters to be played by anyone whatsoever? Besides, Christian Bale is noted for his ability to mimic accents, and Alfred WAS ALWAYS ENGLISH.

Watch, say, some Lord of the Rings out-takes to see some flubs by Elijah Wood in an American accent. Now imagine 10 year olds trying to mimic a British accent. It would be an absolute disaster. (Not that the first two films weren't, mind you )

You don't have a point. You completely misunderstood what J.K. Rowling meant by that statement. That doesn't make her anti-American. That means you have poor comprehension skills and jump to conclusions.
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

You wouldn't hire an Indian to play a black man, would you? WOULD YOU?

I might hire one to plan an Iraqi



AND HE'S BRITISH, TOO!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #26 of 37
What about a British-Indian-Russian Jew to play Ghandi?

"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #27 of 37
A woman from NJ to play a half-Indonesian, half-Chinese man?

Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #28 of 37
You win.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

A woman from NJ to play a half-Indonesian, half-Chinese man?


Mickey Rooney still has her beat.

post #30 of 37
How bout Charlton Heston playing a Mexican cop?

post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

How bout Charlton Heston playing a Mexican cop?

Well DUH! There weren't any Mexicans back then!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Um, what?

Because a British actor played an American character at some point in time makes it perfectly acceptable for all other characters to be played by anyone whatsoever? Besides, Christian Bale is noted for his ability to mimic accents, and Alfred WAS ALWAYS ENGLISH.

Watch, say, some Lord of the Rings out-takes to see some flubs by Elijah Wood in an American accent. Now imagine 10 year olds trying to mimic a British accent. It would be an absolute disaster. (Not that the first two films weren't, mind you )

You don't have a point. You completely misunderstood what J.K. Rowling meant by that statement. That doesn't make her anti-American. That means you have poor comprehension skills and jump to conclusions.

You know what's really sad. You can't just make your point. You've got to make your point AND you've got to throw in an ad hominem attack while you're at it.

Nice.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

You know what's really sad. You can't just make your point. You've got to make your point AND you've got to throw in an ad hominem attack while you're at it.

Nice.

You completely misunderstood what she said, and then continued to hate her for it.

You do have poor comprehension skills, and you did jump to a conclusion.

These aren't insults, nor are they ad hominems. Just qualities you have.
post #34 of 37
I feel sorry for your wife and family.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

I feel sorry for your wife and family.

See, there's an insult.
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

Let's be fair.

She's only lying on one billion dollars. Not quite as comfy.

Oh, I'm sure I'd be plenty upset if I was lying on a mere one billion!
post #37 of 37
:::sigh:::

"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › A plea to Harry Potter fans: Please support J.K. Rowling on her eBay lawsuit!