or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Name That Movie Game - Pop Culture en Perpetua

Name That Movie Game - Pop Culture en Perpetua - Page 3

post #81 of 169
#40:

Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #82 of 169
That one scares me, midwinter.
post #83 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

That one scares me, midwinter.

Aw, BRussell...don't be afraid.
post #84 of 169
Haha

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.
post #85 of 169
#41: An easy one.

post #86 of 169
12 Angry Men.
post #87 of 169
#39--Would that be the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark where the Paramount logo dissolves into an actual mountain peak?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #88 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

#39--Would that be the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark where the Paramount logo dissolves into an actual mountain peak?

Wow.

#42.

#43.

post #89 of 169
Hey midwinter, I would have guessed 40 and 41 were American Beauty and Lord of the Rings.
post #90 of 169
#43:

Trainspotting.
post #91 of 169
#42:

Star Trek II

Quote:

No.

#44:

post #92 of 169
Quote:

Heh. That's the first thing I thought of as well, but RotLA used the older Paramount logo (#44). #42 = The Usual Suspects. That scene in particular was great.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #93 of 169
#45:

#46:

#47:

post #94 of 169
#45 Gladiator

#46 ???

#47 Mad Max
One of the fork and spoon operators from Sector 7-G
post #95 of 169
Just tangentially, do you remember when studio logos were sacrosanct? They stood proudly alone at the beginning of movies, casting their imprimatur over the proceedings but never stooping to converse with any particular film, as that would have been demeaning to the brand.

Now, I practically expect that that mighty logo will go black and white, or grainy, or be revealed as part of a larger scene, or the camera will fly past it, or something, especially for "big" movies. I guess it speaks to the preeminence of "event" movies over studio branding.

The first time I remember seeing this done was Raiders, although it sort of didn't count since (as I am now reminded) Spielberg used the 40s version of the Paramount logo.

Any thoughts as to the first use of a current studio logo as a foil/segue for an opening scene?
post #96 of 169
I dunno but I also liked when watching the credits actually meant something.

Don't think I really need to know the secretary to the third assistant to the grip.
post #97 of 169
Quote:

Any thoughts as to the first use of a current studio logo as a foil/segue for an opening scene?

RotLA aside, the first time I noticed this was Columbia's 'warehouse' intro into their 1998 Godzilla*. Everything went blurry and atomic green...and proceeded to show the Kimodos or whatnot staring at the at the explosion. I thought it was pretty cool (for the time).

* now you understand why I got Reign of Fire and Andaconda on the first go. Any movie with a monster in it is mine.
post #98 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

RotLA aside, the first time I noticed this was Columbia's 'warehouse' intro into their 1998 Godzilla*. Everything went blurry and atomic green...and proceeded to show the Kimodos or whatnot staring at the at the explosion. I thought it was pretty cool (for the time).

* now you understand why I got Reign of Fire and Andaconda on the first go. Any movie with a monster in it is mine.

So I trust you have seen the most excellent Host?
post #99 of 169
Actually...no, and of course IMDB is filled with titles consisting of no less than a dozen umlauts. \

Turn me on, fair adda?
post #100 of 169
Wife says "Maybe Airplane was the first."
post #101 of 169
Quote:

Actually, didn't Independence Day do it before Godzilla (which I also own). We seem to have similar taste in bad movies, 709.
post #102 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMcLargehuge View Post

#45 Gladiator

Yup.

Quote:
#47 Mad Max

Nope.
post #103 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Actually, didn't Independence Day do it before Godzilla (which I also own). We seem to have similar taste in bad movies, 709.

Could be. Godzilla was the first that came to mind because it was so impactful (it was really well done, you must admit), but I'll have to check out the title sequence of ID4 again tonight. Oh, and in response to your last bit, I'll just paraphrase Jessica Rabbit: "I'm not bad, I'm just made that way".
post #104 of 169
Quote:

Could be. Godzilla was the first that came to mind, but I'll have to check out the title sequence of ID4 again tonight. Oh, and in response to your last bit, I'll just paraphrase Jessica Rabbit: "I'm not bad, I'm just made that way".

Isn't the warehouse intro that of Centropolis Entertainment, the company that made both ID4 and Godzilla?

If you like crap movies you should read the reviews in the Hall of Shame at www.horrorview.com
post #105 of 169
My weakness is vampire movies. Gimme Underworld, gimme Blade, it doesn't matter, I don't care how bad they are.
post #106 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

My weakness is vampire movies. Gimme Underworld, gimme Blade, it doesn't matter, I don't care how bad they are.

Me, too. I'll watch ANY Vampire movie.
post #107 of 169
18 - Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure
21 - (DeNiro with a beard)
22 - The Big Lebowski
23 - The Queen
24 - Memento
25 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory
26 - Leon: The Professional
27 - Brokeback Mountain
28 - The Illusionist
29 - A Hard Day’s Night
30 - Aliens

My guesses:

#39 - South Park - Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

proud resident of a failed state
post #108 of 169
#50 spiderman
post #109 of 169
DAMN IT I KNOW #49. GRRRRRR. IT'S ON THE TIP OF MY TONGUE!!! That still is right from the opening scene.
post #110 of 169
Wife (in 2 seconds): #49 Forrest Gump (I was totally wrong)
post #111 of 169
#36, 37, 46, 47 are all still out.
post #112 of 169
#51. Easy one.

post #113 of 169
#51 - The Shawshank Redemption

Give hints for the ones that people aren’t getting.

49 - Forrest Gump
50 - Spiderman

post #114 of 169
#53 = Edward Scissorhands
post #115 of 169
fiddy two- strangers with candy
post #116 of 169
#53 The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (AKA - A movie even worse than Stroker Ace)
post #117 of 169
53. Daze of Thunder

/misspelling intentional
post #118 of 169
53. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
post #119 of 169
53. Pi
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #120 of 169
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Name That Movie Game - Pop Culture en Perpetua