or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace

Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace - Page 4

post #121 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You need to sleep less than the 2 hours a night you do, ya lazy bastard..!! 8)

You know me too well!
post #122 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Whereas the original iMac G5 provided easy access by simply turning 3 screws and lifting off the back cover, the latest iMacs are a huge step back in serviceability.

I'm sure the last iMac G5 revision (built-in iSight model) is less easily serviceable than the earlier revisions because it's one reason I chose to keep my earlier 'rev B'. When that serviceability downgrade continued with the Intel models it helped make them less tempting. I might still be using my G5 until AppleCare coverage expires next May, maybe adding a MacBook (Pro) between now and then especially if a MBP revision makes it easier to replace the hard drive like on the MB. The MB(P) could become a temporary desktop replacement if its performance spoils me, with my wife getting the iMac before I get another desktop system which is hopefully as easily self-serviceable again (and a Mac Pro may be a possibility by then, too).
post #123 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The G5 iMacs ran pretty hot. People that had both the Intel and G5 units generally seem to say that the Intel based ones are cool and pretty much nearly silent, and the G5s weren't...

Totally agree. From my experience with my cousin's iMac G5 and the new Core2Duo iMacs. Adobe|Macromedia CS3 is f*cking going to FLYYYYY on the Core2Duo/XEON machines and whip the G5s...!!! Hopefully, but *most likely* !!
post #124 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You know me too well!

Told ya, I'm a lurker, ex-a different username... you probably know who I really am.
Shhh.. let's keep it secret for now. 8) 8) 8)
post #125 of 284
Quote:

Told ya, I'm a lurker, ex-a different username... you probably know who I really am.

I do think I have a glimmer.
post #126 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I've had my iMac since December and have hardly noticed the chin. I'm too busy staring at the actual screen.

Yeah, my attention on the screen has always made the chin's appearance inconsequential.

Quote:
What I would like is the capacity to outfit it with 2 hard drives for use with Time Machine. I don't want to have to fuss with an external hard drive for this functionality.

That's the most practical redesign idea I've read in this thread so far, especially if it's easily accessible. Certainly a smart way to encourage customers to use Time Machine (or other backup software, for that matter) than if external drives are required.
post #127 of 284
it would be great if the new imac becomes a kind of home cinema tv of sorts. i've been thinking about getting rid of my tv for some time. i don't watch japanese tv and i have also been chased to pay a license fee! at the moment i use it to watch video (it's admittedly very useful for this) and a kind of storage area when used as a spanned screen for logic (the resolution is too low for much else). it would be great to free up the space in my tiny apartment
post #128 of 284
Quote:

This is certainly a popular thread. I just get here, and there are already 80 posts!

You needn't feel compelled to join every thread
Quote:
I'm also waiting for a "new" iMac to come out.

especially just to dump a "me, too" remark like that.
post #129 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The very first G5 iMac did not have an iSight built-in, and was highly serviceable. The back of the machine was flat and it was Vesa-mount compatible.

First two revisions had that design, as I'd mentioned before seeing your post now.

Quote:
The redesigned G5 iMac that brought built-in iSight also introduced a thinner case with curved back, lost the Vesa-mount compatibility, and made the machine significantly harder to service. The Intel iMac kept this case design.

Not quite sure how the serviceability compares between that last G5 and Intel models. Is the G5 a bit easier?
post #130 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post

How the hell do you think he got to 8,000+ posts ???!!
post #131 of 284
Quote:

...Not quite sure how the serviceability compares between that last G5 and Intel models. Is the G5 a bit easier?

That might be the general feeling at this stage, yes.
post #132 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I really hate how the popular PC makers excessively long pages of options. I'm very involved with technology and I find it overwhelming, I can't imagine what the average consumer thinks.

They stopped thinking after buying a Windows PC, if not earlier.
post #133 of 284
Quote:

Oh Jeez! Cut it out.

I don't! Just the ones I'm interested it. I miss plenty, believe me.
post #134 of 284
Quote:

How the hell do you think he got to 8,000+ posts ???!!

YOU know very well.
post #135 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

a) have an upgradeable video card (ha ha ha...yeah I know)

this can't be out of the reals of possibility, surely

Quote:
b) have a thin bezel like the cinema displays

seems quite likely

Quote:
c) more USB ports

fingers crossed!

Quote:
d) give us the ability to use the internal display as a secondary monitor (ie. with a laptop).

i'm afraid i think this one is pie in the sky
post #136 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

this can't be out of the reals of possibility, surely

seems quite likely

fingers crossed!

i'm afraid i think this one is pie in the sky

If Apple or any manufacturer allowed this, then it can kiss standalone LCD sales goodbye.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
post #137 of 284
In terms of aesthetics, i dont think you can completely get rid of the chin and retain a balanced look.

For some reason, although the Cinema displays are even bevelled top and bottom with no chin, you know that they are just a display where as the chin on the iMac ( to me ) helps to imply its a complete machine in its own right.

Personally though, i think the chin on the larger ones is a bit out of place and could be doing with being reduced, but a smaller chin still retained.

It may go against the grain slightly of simply clean lines, but i would like to see some memory card slots in the side of a new iMac. Given that the SD and CF card formats are so wide spread even in the home consumer markets and that Apple are driving that all in one format machine that can take your photos / videos from front end to back end in a simple smooth workflow, why not have the card slots? They would be so much more useful than card readers dangling off USB all the time.
post #138 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisha View Post

It may go against the grain slightly of simply clean lines, but i would like to see some memory card slots in the side of a new iMac. Given that the SD and CF card formats are so wide spread even in the home consumer markets and that Apple are driving that all in one format machine that can take your photos / videos from front end to back end in a simple smooth workflow, why not have the card slots? They would be so much more useful than card readers dangling off USB all the time.

I just don't get it, why use a card reader when you can directly connect your camera to your computer??
post #139 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

I just don't get it, why use a card reader when you can directly connect your camera to your computer??

Because it's easier to pop in an SD card, then to look around for the USB cable and hook it up.
post #140 of 284
its just a neater option. i hate having to faff with the USB cable on my dSLR which is behind a floppy rubber flap which looks like it'll break after repeated use.

Instead, i'd like to take the card out the camera walk up to the computer, card in hand slide it into the iMac, and start transferring the data.

Its just a more elegant solution than all the wires hanging about everywhere.
post #141 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisha View Post

its just a neater option. i hate having to faff with the USB cable on my dSLR which is behind a floppy rubber flap which looks like it'll break after repeated use.

Instead, i'd like to take the card out the camera walk up to the computer, card in hand slide it into the iMac, and start transferring the data.

Its just a more elegant solution than all the wires hanging about everywhere.

Hmmm, I guess preferences differ, cause I prefer having to faff with the USB cable behind the rubber flap But i guess too little customers want this so apple decided against it.

I am hoping for an increase in the number of USB ports though, cause 3 is way too few...
post #142 of 284
Quote:

I really hate how the popular PC makers excessively long pages of options. I'm very involved with technology and I find it overwhelming, I can't imagine what the average consumer thinks.

I don't think it's that hard to just buy the package deals and leave it alone. Those that want a little customization can do so if they like.
post #143 of 284
Quote:

In my experience, card readers are a lot faster for transfers than cameras. There are three mini-USB connectors and if I grab the wrong one, it might not work. I've only used three or four cameras, so my experience may not reflect the general case.
post #144 of 284
I can see it both ways. It would affect the clean lines of the case in some form - and perhaps in the past customers weren't looking for such a thing in the past.

But i think over 2006, the market has changed. From my point of view, digital cameras and software such as Aperture have really matured through 2006 to the point that consumer digital photography is a real mainstream thing.

In the past, it was arguably the league of the PowerMac for large scale photography editing/management and the iMac as perhaps just the consumer computer that can make do, now I dont see that being the case as much. The current iMac and future versions have plenty of power to deal with RAW images and large files. Making that last little step of a built in card reader would be neat.

Hell, it'd be nifty if brought out a card reading keyboard. A few slots in the side that faces the computer would just be the business . . . admittedly you'd be wanting the wired usb2 keyboard for transfer speed, but it would be nice.

* Keep dreaming *
post #145 of 284
Quote:

Yeah, my attention on the screen has always made the chin's appearance inconsequential.

That's the most practical redesign idea I've read in this thread so far, especially if it's easily accessible. Certainly a smart way to encourage customers to use Time Machine (or other backup software, for that matter) than if external drives are required.

Imho, an external drive is highly recommended. I know of one person with a pc that had both internal hard drives fail simultaneously due to an electrical short of some kind so I back up to both an second internal hard drive AND an external hard drive PLUS I back up to a second external hard drive once a month (or more often depending) and store it in another location. The situation I mention may be extremely unlikely, but I personally don't want to chance it. Just mho.
post #146 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktwi View Post

Imho, an external drive is highly recommended.

I agree, though a second internal drive dedicated to Time Machine may be the only solution for people who won't use external drives or do sufficient backups for various reasons and excuses. Those of us using external drives could find other uses for it or choose not to get one if it were optional (preferably).

Maybe Apple will have more to offer "home" users storage-wise than just the AE's new AirPort Disk that we won't know about until Leopard and Time Machine are released though I kind of doubt it.
post #147 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I agree, I think Apple wants us to think of the iMac as a Home Theater computer.
With that said, my guess is the new iMac will be...
1) Black
2) Chinless
3) Have full height stereo speaker grills on the two sides of the screen.

I think #1 may be an option just like for the MacBook (but I bet white will remain as well). I agree with #2, but I would be very surprised to see #3. Apple loves spareness and simplicity and I can't seem them putting visible speaker grills on the face of their iMacs. Just my opinion though (obviously!)
post #148 of 284
Quote:

I'm not keen on having a "good/better/best" method. I really hate how the popular PC makers excessively long pages of options. I'm very involved with technology and I find it overwhelming, I can't imagine what the average consumer thinks.

I'd agree... spec'ing out a Dell is exhausting. They need to simplify/streamline that process by quite a lot.

By the same token, Apple has gone a little too far the other way. They're closer to the mark than Dell is, but their options cupboard is a bit bare. \

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
post #149 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

as long as the 20" has the same price of the 17" I am fine with that.

20" is the new 17"!

I think you're right about that. LCD monitors are getting so cheap now that I think some version of the 20" will be the new "educational" version.
post #150 of 284
In response to those questioning the servicability of the iSight iMacs, you're spot on. I work at a third-party Apple retailer and service center, and have repaired more than my fair share of those machines. Not fun.

The innards of the iMac G5 (20-inch) and iMac G5 (20" ALS):

And finally the innards of the iMac G5 (20" iSight):

Now, these are screeners from my service manuals, so please excuse the bad quality, but I think many of you might get the picture. Not to mention, that 20" iSight picture is AFTER the hard part, which is just getting the front bezel off. You need a pair of credit-cards (or equivalent plastic shims) to jam into the rear fan just right to release the clips, at which point the bezel comes off. Easier said than done, I assure you. After that, comes the tedious task of carefully unsticking the EMI shielding tape that covers the inside of the entire "chin" and goes around the outside of the LCD. Again, bleh. After that comes the journey of inserting a T10 driver into a tiny hole, unscrewing and magnetically retrieving a screw through a hole that seems smaller than the screwhead itself. And that needs to happen successfully about four times before the LCD comes off. If you slip up and loose the screw from the end of the driver, good luck getting it again. Continue to remove the panel and look around for it after you can actually see.

I absolutely love the internal design of the pre-camera iMac G5's, however. Every part of that machine can be easily accessed in about 10 minutes, which is very short for the compact design.

All in all, for a tech anyway, no-camera > camera.
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
post #151 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

I absolutely love the internal design of the pre-camera iMac G5's, however. Every part of that machine can be easily accessed in about 10 minutes, which is very short for the compact design.

And it looks prettier, too (IMO).

Thanks for the informative post!
post #152 of 284
Quote:

should get one of these:
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...s_USB_1GB.aspx

splits in half and plugs directly into a usb port, I use one for my camera and it's great!

stu
post #153 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxotes View Post

I think #1 may be an option just like for the MacBook (but I bet white will remain as well). I agree with #2, but I would be very surprised to see #3. Apple loves spareness and simplicity and I can't seem them putting visible speaker grills on the face of their iMacs. Just my opinion though (obviously!)

Agreed, they place them on the whiners most populair feature of the current iMac, pointing down like it is now.
The same place where most TFT televisions have them: under the screen.

The chin stays
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #154 of 284
Quote:

I am hoping for an increase in the number of USB ports though, cause 3 is way too few...

OOOOHHH YES!!!!

since the Mini already has FOUR!! i dont see why the ore expensive iMac should have one less... makes no sense.
post #155 of 284
Quote:

...a second internal drive dedicated to Time Machine may be the only solution for people who won't use external drives or do sufficient backups for various reasons and excuses.

and are by that very fact LOOKING for trouble

of course if their data isnt important... what do i care
post #156 of 284
I am super excited about the iMac face lift. I was supposed to get on for my birthday last year (April 28th), but since my dad's job had gone downhill a little bit I had to wait and we I am still waiting..

Through all the furious waiting and angerment i have been through now i think that waiting always ends up being the best thing. When the 24" iMac came out i had my eye on that and now that there will be a new face lift and supposedly a new Dual Core chip... the new iMacs will be just teardrops from HEAVEN!

And also i have heard that this face lift will take place in April because many stores are running low on stock of current mac models so doesn't that mean there should be an update soon?
post #157 of 284
Quote:

ummm, have you been posting from your old username about lurking with a new name?

If so, you 're not trying too hard to keep it a secret...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #158 of 284
Quote:

FWIW, I prefered your old username (ATI rulez!! ). Why the change? Getting embarrassed about your post count?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #159 of 284
Quote:

Here's an interesting article on Apple's philosophy about designing systems and products vs Microsoft and the PC industry. The article starts with a product from a totally different company, then moves on.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/16/maga...ce=yahoo_quote

This next one gives another view of the same thing.

http://www.blackfriarsinc.com/blog/2...t-marketing-it

Not all time poor people have to be rich in money, however. Just keep that in mind.

Interesting reading. I think the Time Poor / Time Rich concept is a little simplistic (as you said) but it does give us a different way to look at the differences; it almost approaches it as a cultural difference.
Most of the people on this board will assume that Apple does it right and therefore MS does it wrong. Sometimes it is worthwhile to consider that Apple does it right for us but that MS is doing it right for others, no mater how insufficient or distastefull it may seem to us.
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #160 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

In response to those questioning the servicability of the iSight iMacs, you're spot on. I work at a third-party Apple retailer and service center, and have repaired more than my fair share of those machines. Not fun.

Unfortunately, it seems that marketing departments and sales people are only interested in pushing products out the door and ringing up the cash register. All service issues afterwards are not their problem. I've seen this all the time at stores like CompUSA. The slick talking salesmen tell customers everything they want to hear: Buy this product and if you have any problems, you'll be first in line at the service department! You'll get your computer back the same day! They can give you a free loaner computer, etc...

The salesmen do this because they are not the ones who have to spend time fixing the damn things. There is no sense of accountability from sales and marketing people. So they think that they can just make wild promises to every customer they talk to. How would things change if your retailer/service center made the sales people repair the computers that they push onto customers? How about if Apple made their hardware designers work in the repair shops on a regular basis? Would the hardware designers be afraid to show their faces in the repair shop, knowing all the trouble that they cause for technicians? At least the other technicians would know whose cars to scrape with a key and throw eggs at.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace