or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace

Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace - Page 8

post #281 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

If the 20- and 24-inch only story is true, I can already imagine what Apple will be doing:

20-inch: 2GHz
- 1GB of RAM
- 250GB hard drive
- GMA X3100 graphics
- possibly no Bluetooth or Apple Remote

20-inch: 2.2GHz
- 1GB of RAM
- 400GB hard drive
- 128MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 (256MB option)

24-inch: 2.2GHz
- 2GB of RAM
- 400GB hard drive
- 256MB GeForce 8500 GT (256MB GeForce 8600 GT option)

I don't even want to speculate on prices, though. Apple can easily build a $1299 (or even $1199) 20-inch iMac if it wants to. But can it crack $999? Only if component prices are low enough (particularly LCDs). And I hope Apple doesn't stick its base model with a Combo drive. This is 2007!

$1199 for a desktop system with onboard video no way!
post #282 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

$1199 for a desktop system with onboard video no way!

You'd better look to the PC worls then, because there are Pc's for that much also without graphic cards. It depends on the need.

If you aren't doing anything that requires a fast GPU, and much memory, then you don't need it.

You're also forgetting that this includes the monitor. I've seen Dells for over $1,000 without a monitor, with built-in graphics.
post #283 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD86 View Post

Orange, I am so with you on this. For the life of me I will never understand how someone could think the current iMac design is ugly. If we are just judging physical appearance, it puts the entire PC industry to shame. If Apple's flagship model is so ugly, why is Apple known for having such beautiful hardware and the best industrial designs? Isn't that ONE of the things as Mac fans that we take pride in?

Ugly, no, but how can anything compare with the iMac G4 and its "floating" screen. My 15" and 20" are still in service since I cannot imagine them simply sitting on the shelf like my G4^3.

I was just about to make the mistake of ordering a MacPro out of frustration. I've decided to wait through WWDC and see what happens.
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #284 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Dude, I just got a 20-in iMac...like on April 5th, my b-day. Does Apple have any type of exchange policy if they come out with new ones right after my purchase? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I got my MacBook Pro Duo three days before they went to Core 2 Duo! I did once get a chance to cancel an order for the MacMini when they went to Intel, but it had only just shipped and I returned things unopened.. I feel your pain, but you got what you wanted and there's always a new machine in the wings.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace