or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2008

post #1 of 107
Thread Starter 
This is going to suck.

I just get this bad feeling that this presidential election is going to be the most annoying, disturbing and downright convoluted mess of American culture we've ever seen.

Between now and the primaries we're going to see more and more candidates jump in the race, Republican and Democrat candidates bickering within their own parties, Democrats and Republicans bickering across party lines, EVERYBODY complaining about the war in Iraq, all the while gas prices continue to go up, the housing bubble bursts and people treat each other like garbage.

After the primaries we'll be narrowed down to two people who essentially want the same things for America but -- because they're from two different parties -- will be required to make the other look like the worst person on the planet and completely unfit for the job. Throw in the viral videos (like we've already begun to see), nut-job bloggers, outspoken celebrities, and mouth-frothing media and we've got a recipe for one sad election period.

I'm not looking forward to this. I'm going to be so sick of hearing the names Obama, Giuliani, Clinton, McCain, Edwards and Romney by July 2007, let alone January 2008! America will be so exhausted of all of this by November 2008 that I bet a lot of people will just punch, push, or pull a random name in the voting booth because they just want to get it all over with.

Make it stop, Mommy. Make it stop.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #2 of 107
You're assuming people will even make it to the voting booth...
post #3 of 107
post #4 of 107
Well it may get nasty with all the mud slinging but the republicans have already made their bed. Now they have to lay in it.

Oh well.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #5 of 107
It's starting way, way too early, and I agree people are going to be so sick of it.

The only part where I disagree with you, Cosmonut, is where you refer to the parties being the same. I don't think anyone can look at where we are today and think it would be the same if Gore had been president.
post #6 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It's starting way, way too early, and I agree people are going to be so sick of it.

The only part where I disagree with you, Cosmonut, is where you refer to the parties being the same. I don't think anyone can look at where we are today and think it would be the same if Gore had been president.

I'll always remember the tongue in cheek joke at the beginning of the movie " The One " with Jet Li where he goes into a parallel universe where Gore won the election instead of Bush. God if only that could have happened here!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #7 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well it may get nasty with all the mud slinging but the republicans have already made their bed. Now they have to lay in it.

Oh well.

What mud slinging has been done in this election cycle?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #8 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

What mud slinging has been done in this election cycle?


Well it's already started in subtle ways like " Edwards is a faggot ".
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #9 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

What mud slinging has been done in this election cycle?

Barack ***HUSSEIN*** Obama went to super evil Muslim school.

John Edwards is a faggot.

Hillary Clinton's new drawl.

Yadda yadda yadda.
post #10 of 107
[CENTER][/CENTER]
post #11 of 107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

[CENTER][/CENTER]

That says it all!
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #12 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well it's already started in subtle ways like " Edwards is a faggot ".

Sorry...is Coulter running for something?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #13 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Barack ***HUSSEIN*** Obama went to super evil Muslim school.

John Edwards is a faggot.

Hillary Clinton's new drawl.

Yadda yadda yadda.

Did CANDIDATES feed that information to the media? Because I can point to about 1000 examples of lefties saying much worse. Let's not go there, mmmk?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #14 of 107
No need to point directly at candidates. The media does it for them. And happily, too.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #15 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Did CANDIDATES feed that information to the media? Because I can point to about 1000 examples of lefties saying much worse. Let's not go there, mmmk?

Okay, let's go there. Because I think you're lying. Give me 1000. Please. Or give me ONE that is as bad as Fox's very clear implication that Obama was raised in an Islamic terrorist school. Just ONE that did as much potential damage to a single candidate. Put up or shut up and stop living in your freaky deaky litttle bizarro world where Republicans play fair and Democrats do the mud-slinging, mmmm.....kay?
post #16 of 107
Come on Tonton, you know. The Left is always calling Bush Hitler and hoping Cheney gets killed by terrorists. So it's like, totally the same thing as a network news organization attempting to use a candidates name to get people to associated him with terrorists and despots.

Oh, and The Left is always calling Bush stupid, which is, like, way worse. Oh, oh, and that guy that was really rude to Bush in that interview! Fucking liberal media.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #17 of 107
Well, to me (and I guess many non-US citizens) the most shocking thing about the coming presidential elections is that the biggest and most powerfull democracy in the world still has not fixed the system in which a presidential candidate can actually get more votes than the other candidate and still not become president. Yes I understand how the system works but I still find this unspeakably backwards

Oh, and I would have felt the same way if Gore had won, btw.
post #18 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Okay, let's go there. Because I think you're lying. Give me 1000. Please. Or give me ONE that is as bad as Fox's very clear implication that Obama was raised in an Islamic terrorist school. Just ONE that did as much potential damage to a single candidate. Put up or shut up and stop living in your freaky deaky litttle bizarro world where Republicans play fair and Democrats do the mud-slinging, mmmm.....kay?

You have to be kidding.

"George Bush is the biggest terrorist in the World" (Bellafonte)

"Republicans are evil" (Dean)

"Republicans have never made an honest [living]" (Dean)

"George Bush hates black people" (K. West)

"He betrayed this country. He played on our fears" (Gore)

"The President concocted a war for political gain" (Kennedy)

"He is lying bastard. He's filth-spewing. A terrorist. Fuehrer. Guilty of blatant genocide." [all quote from the "Peace Mom"


From Boston.com:

Quote:
On Air America, talk show host Randi Rhodes recommended doing to Bush what Michael Corleone, in ``The Godfather, Part II," does to his brother. ``Like Fredo," she said, ``somebody ought to take him out fishing and phuw!" -- then imitated the sound of a gunshot. In the Guardian, a leading British daily, columnist Charlie Brooker issued a plea: ``John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr. -- where are you now that we need you?"

and the next paragraph from the same article:

Quote:
For the more literary Bush-hater, there is ``Checkpoint," a novel by Nicholson Baker in which two characters discuss the wisdom of shooting the president. ``I'm going to kill that bastard," one character fumes. Some Bush-hatred masquerades as art: At Chicago's Columbia College, a curated exhibit included a sheet of mock postage stamps bearing the words ``Patriot Act" and depicting President Bush with a gun to his head. There are even Bush-assassination fashion statements, such as the ``KILL BUSH" T-shirts that were on offer last year at CafePress, an online retailer.

And finally:

"Death of a President." Oh but hey...it's art.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #19 of 107
Al Gore will provide an opening statement to the Public Works Committee today. No links because nobody wants to separate it from the fact that Bill Clinton is within proximity of Gore the same day. Why does the media hate the present day?

I will be interested in what Gore will say, will he defend the latest allegations on his energy bill or "Zincgate"?
post #20 of 107
... and in true liberal elite fashion, he has withheld his testimony from the committee prior to his lecture. If Albert Gonzales or Condi did this, the Republicans would never hear the end of it. Gore is a joke.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #21 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

... and in true liberal elite fashion, he has withheld his testimony from the committee prior to his lecture. If Albert Gonzales or Condi did this, the Republicans would never hear the end of it. Gore is a joke.

No there's no mudslinging in this campaign yet.

But haven't you heard? It really doesn't matter because the republican party is on fire and it's raining gasoline!

God I love that thread title!

But of course you weren't around a few months ago when the bottom started to fall out of things.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #22 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

... and in true liberal elite fashion, he has withheld his testimony from the committee prior to his lecture. If Albert Gonzales or Condi did this, the Republicans would never hear the end of it. Gore is a joke.

I think maybe you should at least try to make passing sense.

To compare how Gore might choose to present an appearance before Congress to which he has been invited to speak, as a private citizen, owing to his expertise in a matter of of public policy (and obviously owing to his status as a prominent member of the majority party of that Congress), to how an embattled member of the administration might choose to present an appearance before Congress (in the case of Gonzales probably after being compelled by subpoena to respond to questions regarding the scandal in which his embroiled) does not make passing sense.

Saying his manner of presenting information to Congress is in the "true liberal elite fashion" is sorta demented.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #23 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You have to be kidding.

"George Bush is the biggest terrorist in the World" (Bellafonte)

"Republicans are evil" (Dean)

"Republicans have never made an honest [living]" (Dean)

"George Bush hates black people" (K. West)

"He betrayed this country. He played on our fears" (Gore)

"The President concocted a war for political gain" (Kennedy)

"He is lying bastard. He's filth-spewing. A terrorist. Fuehrer. Guilty of blatant genocide." [all quote from the "Peace Mom"

These are insults. They are not comparable to 'Obama studied at a madrasa'.
post #24 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post


Saying his manner of presenting information to Congress is in the "true liberal elite fashion" is sorta demented.

He withheld his testimony in order to prevent a fair discussion and possible refutation of his points. That's utter bullshit, and shows how afraid Gore is of a real debate on the issue. If he is sooooo correct then why hide? There is no thinking person who can consider that fair- he should play by the rules everyone else who testifies must follow. He is nothing special, even if every Dem in the room is worshipping at his altar.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #25 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

He withheld his testimony in order to prevent a fair discussion and possible refutation of his points. That's utter bullshit, and shows how afraid Gore is of a real debate on the issue. If he is sooooo correct then why hide? There is no thinking person who can consider that fair- he should play by the rules everyone else who testifies must follow. He is nothing special, even if every Dem in the room is worshipping at his altar.


Oh God!

Like the man said you should at least try making sense.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #26 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

He withheld his testimony in order to prevent a fair discussion and possible refutation of his points. That's utter bullshit, and shows how afraid Gonzales is of a real debate on the issue. If he is sooooo correct then why hide? There is no thinking person who can consider that fair- he should play by the rules everyone else who testifies must follow. He is nothing special, even if every Republican in the room is worshipping at his altar.

There, Fixed That For You.

You should be careful about what you post, Gore was invited to testify. Gonzales (and his ilk ) are trying NOT to testify because they MIGHT have to tell the truth.
post #27 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

This is going to suck.

I just get this bad feeling that this presidential election is going to be the most annoying, disturbing and downright convoluted mess of American culture we've ever seen.

Between now and the primaries we're going to see more and more candidates jump in the race, Republican and Democrat candidates bickering within their own parties, Democrats and Republicans bickering across party lines, EVERYBODY complaining about the war in Iraq, all the while gas prices continue to go up, the housing bubble bursts and people treat each other like garbage.

After the primaries we'll be narrowed down to two people who essentially want the same things for America but -- because they're from two different parties -- will be required to make the other look like the worst person on the planet and completely unfit for the job. Throw in the viral videos (like we've already begun to see), nut-job bloggers, outspoken celebrities, and mouth-frothing media and we've got a recipe for one sad election period.

I'm not looking forward to this. I'm going to be so sick of hearing the names Obama, Giuliani, Clinton, McCain, Edwards and Romney by July 2007, let alone January 2008! America will be so exhausted of all of this by November 2008 that I bet a lot of people will just punch, push, or pull a random name in the voting booth because they just want to get it all over with.

Make it stop, Mommy. Make it stop.

Hmmm... 2008? Isn't that the sequel to '300'?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #28 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

He withheld his testimony in order to prevent a fair discussion and possible refutation of his points. That's utter bullshit, and shows how afraid Gore is of a real debate on the issue. If he is sooooo correct then why hide? There is no thinking person who can consider that fair- he should play by the rules everyone else who testifies must follow. He is nothing special, even if every Dem in the room is worshipping at his altar.

What's to keep anyone from attempting to refute what he has to say after he's said it? If Republican members of Congress are knowledgeable about the issue of global warming, and would like to use Gore's appearance as a platform for denying human driven climate change, shouldn't they be able to respond to Gore's remarks in real time? I mean, he has been touring the country giving his talk, did you expect him to suddenly spring devastating new evidence that will leave his critics grasping for a witty comeback?

Maybe he should submit to a pre-appearance physical and wardrobe check as well, so that in the interests of "fairness" the right can get together some material about his weight and clothing choices.

You're just crying because Gore has denied the denial nuts a chance to have an a priori frenzy of trumpeting Gore's "lies" and the chance to feed some mouthpiece in Congress some contrived bit of "gotcha". I guess the "Gore is a vile elitist" thing is will just have to do, for now.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #29 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What's to keep anyone from attempting to refute what he has to say after he's said it? If Republican members of Congress are knowledgeable about the issue of global warming, and would like to use Gore's appearance as a platform for denying human driven climate change, shouldn't they be able to respond to Gore's remarks in real time? I mean, he has been touring the country giving his talk, did you expect him to suddenly spring devastating new evidence that will leave his critics grasping for a witty comeback?

Maybe he should submit to a pre-appearance physical and wardrobe check as well, so that in the interests of "fairness" the right can get together some material about his weight and clothing choices.

You're just crying because Gore has denied the denial nuts a chance to have an a priori frenzy of trumpeting Gore's "lies" and the chance to feed some mouthpiece in Congress some contrived bit of "gotcha". I guess the "Gore is a vile elitist" thing is will just have to do, for now.

I guess so. Gore doesn't want a fair debate for his "moral" discussion on mythical human-caused climate change. On one hand, we have Schumer calling for full disclosure, testimony, subpoenas, rule of law, blah blah blah but then, over in the House, Gore gets to throw a finger at the committee rules because he's on this right side. What a show! \
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #30 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

I guess so. Gore doesn't want a fair debate for his "moral" discussion on mythical human-caused climate change. On one hand, we have Schumer calling for full disclosure, testimony, subpoenas, rule of law, blah blah blah but then, over in the House, Gore gets to throw a finger at the committee rules because he's on this right side. What a show! \

You're comparing a Congressional investigation into possible misuse of the Justice Department to inviting a private citizen to speak on an area of interest concerning public policy.

What in the world is wrong with you?

And how is Gore precluding a "fair debate"? Really, I don't even understand what your getting at.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #31 of 107
Thread Starter 
Methinks we've drifted from the original thread topic.

But this is PoliticalOutsider...what else is new. \
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #32 of 107
A little info about Gore and congress.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17718399/
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #33 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Methinks we've drifted from the original thread topic.

But this is PoliticalOutsider...what else is new. \

Oh. Not so far. I think this is one of the issues that will have a bearing on what happens in 2008.

And of course anyone associated with it will be subjected to mudslinging.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #34 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think maybe you should at least try to make passing sense.

To compare how Gore might choose to present an appearance before Congress to which he has been invited to speak, as a private citizen, owing to his expertise in a matter of of public policy (and obviously owing to his status as a prominent member of the majority party of that Congress), to how an embattled member of the administration might choose to present an appearance before Congress (in the case of Gonzales probably after being compelled by subpoena to respond to questions regarding the scandal in which his embroiled) does not make passing sense.

Saying his manner of presenting information to Congress is in the "true liberal elite fashion" is sorta demented.

Believe it or not, I agree. That said, it's clear Gore was well aware of his time in the limelight. I saw various clips of the hearings....all I could think was "hey...this guy really knows he's on TV!" I suppose that's his overt goal though, so I can't blame him. I just think he's wrong on the issue, and hypocritical for the way he lives his own life.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #35 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What's to keep anyone from attempting to refute what he has to say after he's said it? If Republican members of Congress are knowledgeable about the issue of global warming, and would like to use Gore's appearance as a platform for denying human driven climate change, shouldn't they be able to respond to Gore's remarks in real time? I mean, he has been touring the country giving his talk, did you expect him to suddenly spring devastating new evidence that will leave his critics grasping for a witty comeback?

Maybe he should submit to a pre-appearance physical and wardrobe check as well, so that in the interests of "fairness" the right can get together some material about his weight and clothing choices.

You're just crying because Gore has denied the denial nuts a chance to have an a priori frenzy of trumpeting Gore's "lies" and the chance to feed some mouthpiece in Congress some contrived bit of "gotcha". I guess the "Gore is a vile elitist" thing is will just have to do, for now.

Now now...play nice. The mere exsistence of the term "denier" shows just where this debate is headed. In fact, it's not a debate at all, because people like Gore won't let it become one. It's totally one sided, not that it should be. Of course, each side is trying to slam the other politically....Gore's trying to...people like Inhofe are trying to. Let's not pretend it's just the crazy GOP "denial nuts."
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #36 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Believe it or not, I agree. That said, it's clear Gore was well aware of his time in the limelight. I saw various clips of the hearings....all I could think was "hey...this guy really knows he's on TV!" I suppose that's his overt goal though, so I can't blame him. I just think he's wrong on the issue, and hypocritical for the way he lives his own life.

We got fact that you like to see Gore in a demeaning light and you think he's wrong on the issue.

Something new please.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #37 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

We got fact that you like to see Gore in a demeaning light and you think he's wrong on the issue.

Something new please.

We got the fact that you like to see Bush in a demeaning light and you think he's wrong on the issues.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #38 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

We got the fact that you like to see Bush in a demeaning light and you think he's wrong on the issues.


Yes but I bring something new to the table. I don't make observations about his demeanor at news conferences.

I can start if you'd like me to.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #39 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Yes but I bring something new to the table. I don't make observations about his demeanor at news conferences.

I can start if you'd like me to.

You bring something new to the table?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #40 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

These are insults. They are not comparable to 'Obama studied at a madrasa'.

And frankly Gore's statement is just a fact. Bush did betray our country by playing to our fears. Nothing to fear but fear itself was never even considered when the terrorists struck (and effectively won).

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider