or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › How Long Will Gonzales Last

How Long Will Gonzales Last - Page 2

post #41 of 120
Alberto walks warily down the street,
With the brim pulled way down low
Aint no sound but the sound of his feet,
Machine guns ready to go
Are you ready, are you ready for this
Are you hanging on the edge of your seat
Out of the doorway the bullets rip
To the sound of the beat

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Hey, Im gonna get you too

How do you think Im going to get along,
Without you, when youre gone
You took me for everything that I had,
And kicked me out on my own

Are you happy, are you satisfied
How long can you stand the heat
To the sound of the beat

Chorus

There are plenty of ways you can hurt a man
And bring him to the ground
You can beat him
You can cheat him
You can treat him bad and leave him
When hes down
But Im ready, yes Im ready for you
Im standing on my own two feet
Repeating the sound of the beat
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #42 of 120
Well - I know you can put two and two together. I'll trust in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Alright then. Where are you going with this?
post #43 of 120
Quote:

So there is secret evidence that they know about? Right.

Answer my question.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
post #44 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo View Post

Answer my question.

Your question is dumb. There is not evidence because none has been presented. Don't you think that the Dems would trumpet anything they found? Of course they would. They're objective is to get Rove and company under oath to catch them in a process crime. Duh.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #45 of 120
Quote:

Your question is dumb. There is not evidence because none has been presented. Don't you think that the Dems would trumpet anything they found? Of course they would. They're objective is to get Rove and company under oath to catch them in a process crime. Duh.

Life Under GOTCHA Politics. What fun. (Like we didn't know the entire election meant one thing: endless investigation and a move toward impeachment) This is SOOoooooooo predictable. *yawn*
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #46 of 120
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #47 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Life Under GOTCHA Politics. What fun. (Like we didn't know the entire election meant one thing: endless investigation and a move toward impeachment) This is SOOoooooooo predictable. *yawn*

If it's deserved why not?

You wouldn't have held back for " Clinton!
post #48 of 120

And he is suppose to be the country's chief law enforcement person.
post #49 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

And he is suppose to be the country's chief law enforcement person.

Yup! That's what has got everyone concerned.
post #50 of 120
Today the New York Times leads with a story that cites evidence Gonzales participated in a meeting discussing who would be fired, etc., just 10 days before the deed was done.

So, just to recap:
  1. Clinton didn't inhale
  2. Monica didn't swallow
  3. Alberto didn't know

Geez, seems simple enough to me.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
post #51 of 120
Alberto Gongzales is Attorney General is About Gone!

or

Alberto Gonezales is Attorney General is About Gone!

post #52 of 120
Quote:

Why not? There's some precedent for such things. Take Capone and tax evasion for example.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #53 of 120
post #54 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Another log on the fire.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17783788/

Republican support is eroding because the mainstream media (against all expectations and current track record) took the issue and ran with it. It became open and public.

"The people know, damn them".
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #55 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

So, just to recap:
  1. Clinton didn't inhale
  2. Monica didn't swallow
  3. Alberto didn't know

Geez, seems simple enough to me.

At least Monica was telling the truth. We have a stained dress as evidence.
post #56 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

Why not? There's some precedent for such things. Take Capone and tax evasion for example.

What?
post #57 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

Don't forget UFOs and hotdogs!
post #58 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

Don't forget UFOs and hotdogs!

post #59 of 120
Bush should not have gone for that "new tone" bullshit in '01. In the spirit of mythical bi-partisanship, he did not clean out the Clintonistas in the DOJ. Now, when he does it 6 years later all hell breaks loose. Not that these were Clintonista per se, but he did not do the customary thing of tossing out old political appointments.

\
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #60 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Bush should not have gone for that "new tone" bullshit in '01. In the spirit of mythical bi-partisanship, he did not clean out the Clintonistas in the DOJ. Now, when he does it 6 years later all hell breaks loose. Not that these were Clintonista per se, but he did not do the customary thing of tossing out old political appointments.

\

Yes he did. Bush replaced more of them than Clinton in his first year. All the fired attorneys were Republicans. You've bought too heavily into the "Clinton did it too" li(n)e.
post #61 of 120
A Gonzalez aide is to invoke the 5th Amendment at a hearing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070326/...ed_prosecutors

Its starting to look more and more bleak for the A.G. as time goes on...
post #62 of 120
This is comes out of Scooter Libby. There's been no crime here but why risk saying anything at all? If you forget or color the truth your way ... boom you're slapped with obstruction or something like it. Better to keep your mouth shut.
post #63 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydo View Post

This is comes out of Scooter Libby. There's been no crime here but why risk saying anything at all? If you forget or color the truth your way ... boom you're slapped with obstruction or something like it. Better to keep your mouth shut.

Yep. I would not go in front of that group, knowing their minds are already made up and they are looking for the camera time at my expense. Why bother?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #64 of 120
Interesting. So no one need ever testify before Congress for any reason whatsoever, and Congress's power of oversight is in name only. Because they are a bunch of media whores.

Gee, that works out nicely for the selfless public servants of the Bush White House, doesn't it?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #65 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Interesting. So no one need ever testify before Congress for any reason whatsoever, and Congress's power of oversight is in name only. Because they are a bunch of media whores.

Gee, that works out nicely for the selfless public servants of the Bush White House, doesn't it?

And now TPM.com has raised an interesting legal question: apparently you can't plead the 5th just because you don't want to talk.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #66 of 120
And a shout-out to TPM, who did the spade work and connected the dots to the point that it became an actual story. I have the impression that without Josh Marshall's work, the liberal media would have never bothered.
post #67 of 120
Quote:

And a shout-out to TPM, who did the spade work and connected the dots to the point that it became an actual story. I have the impression that without Josh Marshall's work, the liberal media would have never bothered.

Seriously. And to be fair, in much the same way that conservative bloggers broke the Rather-gate story, exposing a false document and serious failures on the part of the MSM news.

And now? Now we're onto how much WH communication has been going on in violation of FOI requirements. This right here? This is going to get interesting.
post #68 of 120
You got that right. The usual suspects are still in "nothing to see here, trumped up political theater" mode, but this story is moving very quickly, and none of it is good for the Bush admin.

I have the feeling that these guys really believed the permanent majority hype and forgot to be circumspect about naked politicalization of the justice system, assuming no one would ever look into it. Makes you wonder about what else they got crazy with.
post #69 of 120
Quote:

You got that right. The usual suspects are still in "nothing to see here, trumped up political theater" mode, but this story is moving very quickly, and none of it is good for the Bush admin.

I have the feeling that these guys really believed the permanent majority hype and forgot to be circumspect about naked politicalization of the justice system, assuming no one would ever look into it. Makes you wonder about what else they got crazy with.

I don't know about what they believed in terms of hype. I do know that they are largely driven by a political philosophy that contends that the populace is a bunch of inbred retards who just need to either be riled up or completely distracted while the elite go about the business of governing.
post #70 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I don't know about what they believed in terms of hype. I do know that they are largely driven by a political philosophy that contends that the populace is a bunch of inbred retards who just need to either be riled up or completely distracted while the elite go about the business of governing.

The populace, yeah, but they apparently thought that about Congress, and expected it to never change. Really, some of the stuff in those emails, you just don't do, if you think anyone ever might be looking.
post #71 of 120
Quote:

The populace, yeah, but they apparently thought that about Congress, and expected it to never change. Really, some of the stuff in those emails, you just don't do, if you think anyone ever might be looking.

Well, that's why you do your work through your gwb43.com email account and NOT your whitehouse.gov account, which is, of course, a violation of FOI requirements.
post #72 of 120
Quote:

Well, that's why you do your work through your gwb43.com email account and NOT your whitehouse.gov account, which is, of course, a violation of FOI requirements.

But which, ironically, takes it out from under the umbrella of executive privilege, which obviously doesn't cover your non-govermental correspondences.

Here's your petard, commence hoisting.
post #73 of 120
Assuming the petard hasn't been deleted.
post #74 of 120
Quote:

Assuming the petard hasn't been deleted.

And all the professional hoisters haven't been replaced by loyal Bushies.
post #75 of 120
Quote:

Would you suspend the fifth amendment so some politicians can blow hat air on TV and drum up contributions? How about they grant complete immunity so people can get the truth out without worrying that a lack of recollection will land them in club fed?

I'm kind of pissed off these days because Bush used one of my favorite phrases. But this is political theater.
post #76 of 120
As they used to say on " Laugh In " " Very interesting! "

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/...eys/index.html

Well I now see this has already been mentioned. Think this will stick?
post #77 of 120
Quote:

Would you suspend the fifth amendment so some politicians can blow hat air on TV and drum up contributions? How about they grant complete immunity so people can get the truth out without worrying that a lack of recollection will land them in club fed?

I'm kind of pissed off these days because Bush used one of my favorite phrases. But this is political theater.

And when has it NOT been political theater when dealing with policy issues?

The point is that this situation is no different than almost any other policy issue the feds have had to deal with historically.

Also, the point is that THIS administration thinks of itself as being above this historical procedural process. To them, all work done by the executive branch is protected by executive privilege by default. GWB & Co. basically give 70% of the american people the middle finger, don't answer to them (via their congressional representation), and don't respect the equal separation of powers granted in the constitution.

You may call it a witch hunt, but it's always been about witch hunts (depending on witch side of the isle you're sitting), but that's the only process that we the people can employ in an attempt to keep our government honest.

My $0.02.

PS - My grammar sukz ass, it takes me forever to write this stuff, and then almost an equal amount of time correcting what grammatical/spelling errors I am able to catch subsequent to posting.
post #78 of 120
Quote:

1) The point is that there is some question as to whether you can plead the 5th *simply* because you don't want to talk. The 5th protects individuals from self-incrimination, not talking.

2) For high-ranking members of the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT to refuse to testify because they don't want to incriminate themselves is pretty god damned sad.

3) I wish that every time a new set of talking points came down the pike there were bumper stickers. I'd love to start collecting them. Political theater! Support the troops! But Bill Clinton! Serial flip-flopper!
post #79 of 120
Quote:

1) The point is that there is some question as to whether you can plead the 5th *simply* because you don't want to talk. The 5th protects individuals from self-incrimination, not talking.

2) For high-ranking members of the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT to refuse to testify because they don't want to incriminate themselves is pretty god damned sad.

3) I wish that every time a new set of talking points came down the pike there were bumper stickers. I'd love to start collecting them. Political theater! Support the troops! But Bill Clinton! Serial flip-flopper!

Hell, you got an entire set just from the attorney firings (and the set makes an interesting progression, so be sure to get them all):

Fired for cause! Everybody does it! Clinton did it more! Fired for being soft on immigration! Fired for being soft on porn! Fired for cause, again! Mistakes were made! Overeager subordinates! Executive privilege! I take the fifth! Fishing expedition! Witch-hunt! Political theater!

This story is developing so quickly, I'm afraid the Bush White House is going to run out of sound bites. Pretty soon they'll start stringing random words together, albeit vehemently: Fired for theater! Overeager privilege! Soft on subordinates! Clinton fishing! Immigration for cause!
post #80 of 120
Quote:

Hell, you got an entire set just from the attorney firings (and the set makes an interesting progression, so be sure to get them all):

Fired for cause! Everybody does it! Clinton did it more! Fired for being soft on immigration! Fired for being soft on porn! Fired for cause, again! Mistakes were made! Overeager subordinates! Executive privilege! I take the fifth! Fishing expedition! Witch-hunt! Political theater!

This story is developing so quickly, I'm afraid the Bush White House is going to run out of sound bites. Pretty soon they'll start stringing random words together, albeit vehemently: Fired for theater! Overeager privilege! Soft on subordinates! Clinton fishing! Immigration for cause!

I've seen Clinton fishing. And it ain't pretty. The co-king of whoppers trying to catch a whopper.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › How Long Will Gonzales Last