or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Best Buy to carry Apple TV at all locations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Buy to carry Apple TV at all locations

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
Best Buy said Wednesday that Apple's just-released Apple TV will be available at all of its retail locations nationwide beginning next week.

A blog posting over at CNet News.com reveals that all 822 of the electronics retailer's stores should have the $299 wireless streaming media device in stock starting next Tuesday.

Although initial shipment are said to be limited 3,000 units -- which spread across more than 800 stores means there will be about five Apple TVs available at each store -- Best Buy will reportedly have a two-week head start on all other retailers.

"Though there aren't many other consumer electronics stores that sell Mac computers, this does give Best Buy an advantage over the numerous outlets that carry iPod," News.com reported.

Apple and Best Buy are engaged in an ongoing pilot program aimed at testing sales of Apple's Mac personal computer line in Best Buy stores. The two firms agreed to expand the pilot last September to approximately 50 locations, up from the original 7.

All Best Buy locations already carry Apple's line of iPod digital music players.
post #2 of 56
The more the merrier. I just hope there will be enough info on hand to explain just how this works.
post #3 of 56
3000 Apple Tvs over more than 800 units works out to less than 4 per store, not 5. Either way, they'll probably be sold out before most people even see them.
post #4 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The more the merrier. I just hope there will be enough info on hand to explain just how this works.

You are assuming they have a clue?
post #5 of 56
I'm looking forward to getting Reward Zone points for this thing and I'm crossing my fingers that BBY's little 12% off weekend promotions will apply to it.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #6 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

You are assuming they have a clue?

I'm assuming that Apple has a clue. It's their job to supply the literature,.
post #7 of 56
I wonder if that means they are going to sell the HDMI to HDMI cables as well? For the price, they will send a ton of just those cables without the AppleTV.
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryand View Post

3000 Apple Tvs over more than 800 units works out to less than 4 per store, not 5. Either way, they'll probably be sold out before most people even see them.

I'll look for the line of tents outside of Best Buy later today when I drive by.
post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

You are assuming they have a clue?

They'll be glad to let the Geek Squad charge you $90-$300 to install it, I'm sure.
post #10 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

I wonder if that means they are going to sell the HDMI to HDMI cables as well? For the price, they will send a ton of just those cables without the AppleTV.

I would imagine that BB sells tons of them now. Apple should brand their own. There's a pretty penny to be made off those things.
post #11 of 56
Cool I can't wait to buy their extended warranty!
post #12 of 56
That seems like a slap in the face to CompUSA - who has an Apple mini-store and has for years. Unless CompUSA will have them at the same time and someone just felt like mentioning that Best Buy will have them.

- Jasen.
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I'll look for the line of tents outside of Best Buy later today when I drive by.

Yeah, no kidding.... I think it would be better to sell them in the check-out stands at Vons than BestBuy... at least you wouldn't have to face a "know-nothing-know-it-all" trying to tell you why you need to buy something else....
post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I would imagine that BB sells tons of them now. Apple should brand their own. There's a pretty penny to be made off those things.

Apple has branded their own and it's only $19.95.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TL951LL%2FA
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
post #15 of 56
I don't really understand how this thing works to be honest. I have a wireless N Linksys router but how is TV going to detect my iTunes which is running on the wired lan side of the router? The PC doesn't have its own wireless adapter.

m

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #16 of 56
Cool. People can buy and return if the picture quality is not good enough.
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't really understand how this thing works to be honest. I have a wireless N Linksys router but how is TV going to detect my iTunes which is running on the wired lan side of the router? The PC doesn't have its own wireless adapter.

m

PM me if what I say doesn't make sense... This isn't a tech thread.

Anyway, as long as it is on the same router, it should all work. But, if you have two different routers, have one act as a network bridge and the other be the router.
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

PM me if what I say doesn't make sense... This isn't a tech thread.

Anyway, as long as it is on the same router, it should all work. But, if you have two different routers, have one act as a network bridge and the other be the router.

I guess I don't understand. Sorry but if the PC has no drivers to detect any of the other wireless SSIDs being broadcast around the neighborhood, how is it going to connect to TV?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't really understand how this thing works to be honest. I have a wireless N Linksys router but how is TV going to detect my iTunes which is running on the wired lan side of the router? The PC doesn't have its own wireless adapter.

m

It should work if it's on the same router
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

Apple has branded their own and it's only $19.95.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TL951LL%2FA

That is a good price for a HDMI cable, most of them the I have seen are start out around $40 and top out at over $100. They can't be that different than Apple's, at least n the low end.
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't really understand how this thing works to be honest. I have a wireless N Linksys router but how is ?TV going to detect my iTunes which is running on the wired lan side of the router? The PC doesn't have its own wireless adapter.

m

Check out AppleTV support page. You can view or even download the manual. Tells you everything you need to know. http://www.apple.com/support/appletv/
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't really understand how this thing works to be honest. I have a wireless N Linksys router but how is TV going to detect my iTunes which is running on the wired lan side of the router? The PC doesn't have its own wireless adapter.

m

The TV is 802.11 compliant. You set it up to connect to your wireless N linksys router, you set up iTunes to sync what you want, and the setup is complete. It's just like networking two computers, only simpler. Devices can talk over networks, and most easily when they are on the same network (i.e. a single router, in most cases). Ethernet and 802.11 standards both us TCP/IP standards, and work the same if both devices are wired, wireless, or any combination of the two.
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

It should work if it's on the same router

Which is exactly what the Geek Squad is going to tell me at BB. it SHOULD work.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

Apple has branded their own and it's only $19.95.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TL951LL%2FA

It's actually not Apple Branded. It's Xtreme Mac branded. Apple just sells them.

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/av_cables/hdmi.php

EDIT: Which is probably why there wasn't any included. Apple doesn't make them... yet. Maybe in the future they will
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Which is exactly what the Geek Squad is going to tell me at BB. it SHOULD work.

it WILL work
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

The ?TV is 802.11 compliant. You set it up to connect to your wireless N linksys router, you set up iTunes to sync what you want, and the setup is complete. It's just like networking two computers, only simpler. Devices can talk over networks, and most easily when they are on the same network (i.e. a single router, in most cases). Ethernet and 802.11 standards both us TCP/IP standards, and work the same if both devices are wired, wireless, or any combination of the two.

Nice, the PC gets it DHCP from the cable company and the Linksys is leasing out 192.168.1.xx plus the wireless firewall is set at default which isn't going to let the two computers talk to one another, I don't think, except on port 80. I know I can make it work but how the heck is the average Best Buy consumer going to do it?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCG View Post

That is a good price for a HDMI cable, most of them the I have seen are start out around $40 and top out at over $100. They can't be that different than Apple's, at least n the low end.

Yeah, that really cheap.

I was thinking along the lines of a premier quality version to compete with the lower cost Monster Cable, and other hi end companies.
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Nice, the PC gets it DHCP from the cable company and the Linksys is leasing out 192.168.1.xx plus the wireless firewall is set at default which isn't going to let the two computers talk to one another, I don't think, except on port 80. I know I can make it work but how the heck is the average Best Buy consumer going to do it?

By default, almost all wireless routers allow wireless devices to access the wired network with the same privileges. If you have your PC getting DHCP from the cable company, I'm not sure why you have it set up that way. It is much easier to allow the Router to get the DHCP from the cable co and then hand out local area addresses to all of the devices on your network. This is how most everyone (both cable and DSL customers) are set up. And I'm not just assuming that, I work tech support for Dell (I hate being on the dark side, but Apple doesn't have a call center here and I need to pay for school) and I've never had someone going through a router who's PC was getting the IP address from the ISP.
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yeah, that really cheap.

I was thinking along the lines of a premier quality version to compete with the lower cost Monster Cable, and other hi end companies.

Yeah, getting into the snake oil cable business is profitable.
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

By default, almost all wireless routers allow wireless devices to access the wired network with the same privileges. If you have your PC getting DHCP from the cable company, I'm not sure why you have it set up that way. It is much easier to allow the Router to get the DHCP from the cable co and then hand out local area addresses to all of the devices on your network. This is how most everyone (both cable and DSL customers) are set up. And I'm not just assuming that, I work tech support for Dell (I hate being on the dark side, but Apple doesn't have a call center here and I need to pay for school) and I've never had someone going through a router who's PC was getting the IP address from the ISP.

I guess that's why they call it a wireless router with a 4 port switch. Otherwise nothing would prevent drive-by hacking.

m

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #31 of 56
Yeah, I wish I could tell anyone with home theater equipment that you get absolutely NO added benefit by paying more for a digital cable. A $20 HDMI cable will transfer just as good of a signal as a $100 one. A $5 RCA cable will transfer digital audio just as well as a $50 one. Assuming you take care of it, a cheap optical cable will transfer digital audio just as well as an expensive one.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Yeah, I wish I could tell anyone with home theater equipment that you get absolutely NO added benefit by paying more for a digital cable. A $20 HDMI cable will transfer just as good of a signal as a $100 one. A $5 RCA cable will transfer digital audio just as well as a $50 one. Assuming you take care of it, a cheap optical cable will transfer digital audio just as well as an expensive one.

preach it!
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

It's actually not Apple Branded. It's Xtreme Mac branded. Apple just sells them.

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/av_cables/hdmi.php

EDIT: Which is probably why there wasn't any included. Apple doesn't make them... yet. Maybe in the future they will

You are absolutely correct, my apologizes. I wonder if BB will carry the cables as well? Doubtful but they should.
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
Reply
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

That seems like a slap in the face to CompUSA - who has an Apple mini-store and has for years. Unless CompUSA will have them at the same time and someone just felt like mentioning that Best Buy will have them.

- Jasen.

CompUSA is in the process of closing over half its stores. Not exactly the most positive of places for a new product launch.
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Yeah, I wish I could tell anyone with home theater equipment that you get absolutely NO added benefit by paying more for a digital cable. A $20 HDMI cable will transfer just as good of a signal as a $100 one. A $5 RCA cable will transfer digital audio just as well as a $50 one. Assuming you take care of it, a cheap optical cable will transfer digital audio just as well as an expensive one.

Best Buy's digital cable prices are beyond stupid, but apparently the reasoning is that if you just dropped three grand on a plasma you won't blink at being told you have to pay $100 for cable "if you want to get the best out of it".

On the other hand, it means I can resell stuff to my clients for less than half of what BB charges and still have a pretty good markup, while saving them a ton over what they expected to pay. Win-win!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Best Buy's digital cable prices are beyond stupid, but apparently the reasoning is that if you just dropped three grand on a plasma you won't blink at being told you have to pay $100 for cable "if you want to get the best out of it".

On the other hand, it means I can resell stuff to my clients for less than half of what BB charges and still have a pretty good markup, while saving them a ton over what they expected to pay. Win-win!

That's just as evil as BB. Taking advantage of people's ignorance
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Yeah, I wish I could tell anyone with home theater equipment that you get absolutely NO added benefit by paying more for a digital cable. A $20 HDMI cable will transfer just as good of a signal as a $100 one. A $5 RCA cable will transfer digital audio just as well as a $50 one. Assuming you take care of it, a cheap optical cable will transfer digital audio just as well as an expensive one.

Oh, you are so full of crap! The next thing you'll be telling me is that my gold-plated $30 USB cables are just as good as a $3 cable from NewEgg! And we know that's not the case! The gold-plated one makes sure that my connectiion to the printer is as pure and complete as possible, meaning my printouts come out crisper and clearer then the rest of you (its like I get 610 dpi, instead of 600dpi!)

At least that's what the guy at Best Buy told me...
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Oh, you are so full of crap! The next thing you'll be telling me is that my gold-plated $30 USB cables are just as good as a $3 cable from NewEgg! And we know that's not the case! The gold-plated one makes sure that my connectiion to the printer is as pure and complete as possible, meaning my printouts come out crisper and clearer then the rest of you (its like I get 610 dpi, instead of 600dpi!)

At least that's what the guy at Best Buy told me...

Notwithstanding the irony, aren't all USB-connectors gold plated? I guess there's a few nickel connectors or something, but they seem. to be the exception
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

That's just as evil as BB. Taking advantage of people's ignorance

Uh, mark-up over my costs for materials I put in the time to acquire and have the expertise to carefully evaluate and choose is neither "evil" or "taking advantage of people's ignorance", it's called "doing business".

My clients don't really expect me to point them to a web page and say, "there you go, that's your best deal, go ahead and get that." They pay me to take care of all that.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #40 of 56
Betcha BB tells customers that they can replace their TiVo with AppleTV...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Best Buy to carry Apple TV at all locations