or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Busting into an Apple TV (photos)

Busting into an Apple TV (photos)

post #1 of 67
The first Apple TV dissection photos have hit the Web, clearly revealing some of the device's internal component suppliers and design wins.

The guys over at TechRestore where quick to the punch on this one, not hesitating to pry the cover from their Apple TV's chassis.

From their photos, both the 1.0GHz Intel Pentium M-based "Crofton" central processing unit and NVIDIA G72M graphics chip are visible. The Intel chip bears the model number "7645A966 0159," while the NVIDIA chip model number is not entirely clear.

Also visible from the photos is a Silicon Image IC and Broadcom chip affixed to Apple TV's 802.11n-enabled wireless card.

AppleInsider had exclusively reported that the new Apple device would employ a NVIDIA graphics chip, and subsequently that the software drivers for that chip were to blame for the delay that pushed Apple TV availability out until this week.

See more photos at TechRestore.

post #2 of 67
Whoa! Brutal!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 67
IUHU games ahead...
Long long long, In Jobs I trust
Long long long, In Jobs I trust
post #4 of 67
Hmmm.... using P-ATA, and not S-ATA on the Hard Drive. Some what of a shock, since small form factors like this would benefit and the overall movement away from P-ATA. Granted it would not benefit from S-ATA in speed, but it would make for a more common supply chain.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
post #5 of 67
I guess it could be cheaper not to use SATA?
post #6 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migueldf View Post

IUHU games ahead...

Anyone?
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #7 of 67
Is that a 1.8 inch drive? Looks like it. Do they make SATA 1.8 inch drives?
post #8 of 67
I find it bizarre that the Apple TV is using a Broadcom-sourced wi-fi card. Up until now, the Intel Macs have all used Atheros chipsets (both the original G and pre-N). The original PPC Airport Extreme cards were from Broadcom though.
Especially for draft-spec equipment like this, the compatibility is best with the same chipset in every device. Does anyone know what the new pre-N AirPort Extreme base station has in it?
post #9 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip11 View Post

I find it bizarre that the Apple TV is using a Broadcom-sourced wi-fi card. Up until now, the Intel Macs have all used Atheros chipsets (both the original G and pre-N). The original PPC Airport Extreme cards were from Broadcom though.

The iMac Core Duo on my desk is Broadcom -- BCM43xx 1.0 (4.80.79.1)
post #10 of 67
They put a NVIDIA chip in this but they put the pos GMA 950 in the mini , macbook, and macbook black.
post #11 of 67
When someone tries upgrading that easy to get at hard drive let me know if it works OK.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #12 of 67
That is a lot of technology there for the money. It's unfortunate that they won't make a computer out of that.
post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That is a lot of technology there for the money. It's unfortunate that they won't make a computer out of that.

This could be a hint of things to come for the Mini...

Apple TV - Mac Mini stack, anyone?
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
post #14 of 67
Yes maybe, though I really thin the mini needs to enlarge its waste band a bit. The Mini could be a much more compelling machine if they could stuff a bit more into the box. Chip sets have come a long way but I still suspect that they need more room to make the Mini more attractive than it is.

On a side note I wonder how long it will take the Linux folks to get Linux up and running on the machine. It ought to make a nice little server for domain names and the like. Maybe even a simple client node. Linux is the first thing I thought of when I saw the machine. It has everything one would need for a server connected client, it has networking, sound and a GPU. Not bad really.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

post #15 of 67
I did some looking about and it appears the g72M is functionally equivalent to a Go7400; which appears to be a 7800GTX with 4 pixel shaders rather than 24 and a lower clock speed (I didn't see a specific clock in my short look).

So not bad, but certainly no barnstormer. Not quite on par the the x1600 in the iMacs and the MacBook Pros from what I gathered, which could use a refresh in and of itself.

(Not that I really care as long as it does the job, just thought I'd get a feel for potential, and having found out share the info).
post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

When someone tries upgrading that easy to get at hard drive let me know if it works OK.

I'm sure a swap would be no trouble, the problem would be getting the OS off the stock drive and onto your new one.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #17 of 67
I'm quite impressed with the stuff on the innards, except the 33GB hard drive. Call it 40GB all you wall but if you've more than 33GB in the right format on iTunes it wont all fit on the your Apple TV. Apple should do a microsoft on this thing and bring out an add-on hard drive for $100 or $150 that rests on top of the Apple TV with the same footprint and hooks into that USB port.

On a side note; Blu-Ray movies are about 20GB each, so if you imagine that Apple TV 2.0 could handle 1080p and had a 500GB hard drive, that's not even enough storage for 20 movies, not to mention that you need to fit all your music, photos and podcasts on this thing. This whole Apple TV thing has a long way to go. iTunes res is not good enough, and iTunes TV shows and movies didn't hit outside the US yet, wowzer.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm quite impressed with the stuff on the innards, except the 33GB hard drive. Call it 40GB all you wall but if you've more than 33GB in the right format on iTunes it wont all fit on the your Apple TV. Apple should do a microsoft on this thing and bring out an add-on hard drive for $100 or $150 that rests on top of the Apple TV with the same footprint and hooks into that USB port.

On a side note; Blu-Ray movies are about 20GB each, so if you imagine that Apple TV 2.0 could handle 1080p and had a 500GB hard drive, that's not even enough storage for 20 movies, not to mention that you need to fit all your music, photos and podcast on this thing. This whole Apple TV thing has a long way to go.

Why are you demanding that a device that is primarily designed to receive media files streamed from your computer have massive local storage?

It makes much more sense to me to keep my media files on an external drive on my main computer, where I have access to all the nice organization and transcoding and ripping software and I can stick cheap drives in firewire enclosures to my heart's content. Big drives on desktop: media server. Atv: media client.
post #19 of 67
Who can afford to download 1080p movies/films anyway? Even with an ultra-fast connection, downloading a single movie will take a long time. There is also the bandwidth cost on Apple's side.
post #20 of 67
Quote:

Who can afford to download 1080p movies/films anyway? Even with an ultra-fast connection, downloading a single movie will take a long time. There is also the bandwidth cost on Apple's side.

In H264, it might be 15 GB (rough guess), which w/ a 10 mbps connection would take about 3 - 4 hours off the top of my head. If you can also watch it as it dl's, then it would be only a 2 hour wait. Sound like something that can requested and then be done overnight.
post #21 of 67
Quote:

720p of american idol on torrent sites is about 350 - 400mb. from what i've seen they're using divx/xvid and bitrate is kind of low but with h.264 and "good" bitrate , you could deliver awesome quality in 720p with about 600mb per hour.

I've never bought anything from iTunes in my life , even though i own 2 iPods and 2 Macs. Once they offer HD i will stop renting/buying DVDs and buy from them. Otherwise i dont see reason why downgrade to iTunes level....
post #22 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

In H264, it might be 15 GB (rough guess), which w/ a 10 mbps connection would take about 3 - 4 hours off the top of my head. If you can also watch it as it dl's, then it would be only a 2 hour wait. Sound like something that can requested and then be done overnight.

The problem is that the prices would likely be quite high. I wonder why someone wouldn't just get the HD-DVD or B-R and save the hassle. This is assuming that both technologies come down in price by the time Apple supports 1080p.

Also, my cable company limits our downstream bandwidth per month at 40Gb, but I believe that restriction has been raised significantly.
post #23 of 67
Quote:

YES! I've been suggesting this for a while. Now, if they would only make everything with the same front and side dimensions, Then make a tuner unit for the top, and a five channel amp for the bottom. Or possibly put the amp on top for heat dispersion.
post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm sure a swap would be no trouble, the problem would be getting the OS off the stock drive and onto your new one.

DVR's often allow re-formatting the HD when things go wrong. Possibly this will also. The question is whether Apple did something with the HD's ROM as they used to do in the old days.
post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Why are you demanding that a device that is primarily designed to receive media files streamed from your computer have massive local storage?

Some people want Apple TV to be more like a media server that it's not intended to be?

Quote:
It makes much more sense to me to keep my media files on an external drive on my main computer, where I have access to all the nice organization and transcoding and ripping software and I can stick cheap drives in firewire enclosures to my heart's content. Big drives on desktop: media server. Atv: media client.

I prefer that media server/client model, too.
post #26 of 67
Quote:

Yeah I thought about stacking when I saw the AppleTV and the new AirPort Extreme but whilst the current Mac mini and the new AirPort Extreme share the same footprint (6.5"), the AppleTV is slightly larger (7.7").
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post

Some people want Apple TV to be more like a media server that it's not intended to be?

I prefer that media server/client model, too.

I'm using the new AirPort Extreme as a media server. All you have to do is connect a USB drive and every machine on the network can access the contents...
post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

On a side note; Blu-Ray movies are about 20GB each, so if you imagine that Apple TV 2.0 could handle 1080p and had a 500GB hard drive, that's not even enough storage for 20 movies, not to mention that you need to fit all your music, photos and podcasts on this thing. This whole Apple TV thing has a long way to go. iTunes res is not good enough, and iTunes TV shows and movies didn't hit outside the US yet, wowzer.

I'm kinda thinking and kinda hoping that apple will come out with a cheap home server kinda like the HP one that was recently released. But extremely simple, like an appletv but much bigger and built only to hold all the media a house hold may have, and has maybe like 3 hard drive drawers so you could swap them easily when need be.

That'd currently allow for 2.2 tb of storage. And it'd ship with just one 320gb drive in it, that's still a lot of space to joe average.

I'd see it for like $249 to really catch on.

It'd be different from network storage because it'd be extremely simple to use and come with great software for mac and for pc. Then appletv can also grab media straight from that and a computer wouldn't always need to be involved.

That's what I want. To have no music or movies or pictures on my computer or external hds at all and have everyone in my house share everything. That'd be awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #29 of 67
It sure looks like you could pop a bigger hard drive in there!
post #30 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

They put a NVIDIA chip in this but they put the pos GMA 950 in the mini , macbook, and macbook black.

Um yeah, an integrated chip. NVIDIA can make those too.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #31 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

Actually, judging from the 1080p movie trailers, an average movie would be about 8GB
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Um yeah, an integrated chip. NVIDIA can make those too.

It is integrated onto the main board, but it is a discrete chip rather than built into some other chip, and apparently that chip is the core of the 7300 boards, the same core video chip is used in the stock Mac Pro.
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet View Post

Is that a 1.8 inch drive? Looks like it. Do they make SATA 1.8 inch drives?

It's 2.5 Inch.
post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I'm kinda thinking and kinda hoping that apple will come out with a cheap home server kinda like the HP one that was recently released. But extremely simple, like an appletv but much bigger and built only to hold all the media a house hold may have, and has maybe like 3 hard drive drawers so you could swap them easily when need be.

That'd currently allow for 2.2 tb of storage. And it'd ship with just one 320gb drive in it, that's still a lot of space to joe average.

I'd see it for like $249 to really catch on.

It'd be different from network storage because it'd be extremely simple to use and come with great software for mac and for pc. Then appletv can also grab media straight from that and a computer would always need to be involved.

That's what I want. To have no music or movies or pictures on my computer or external hds at all and have everyone in my house share everything. That'd be awesome.

I'm curious, are you talking about the Windows Home Server trash that Microsoft recently released?
Then you may be interested in this.

Sebastian
post #35 of 67
Quote:

It is integrated onto the main board, but it is a discrete chip rather than built into some other chip, and apparently that chip is the core of the 7300 boards, the same core video chip is used in the stock Mac Pro.

The chip is based on the G72 obviously and that isn't suitable for the Mac Pro at all. Either way it doesn't matter though, the chip isn't really any better then the GMA 950. Unfortunately I can't find anything specific on the G72M in which I'm guessing the M means it's designed specifically for embedding into integrated systems as a Mobile unit or something similiar to that.

Sebastian
post #36 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

The chip is based on the G72 obviously and that isn't suitable for the Mac Pro at all. Either way it doesn't matter though, the chip isn't really any better then the GMA 950. Unfortunately I can't find anything specific on the G72M in which I'm guessing the M means it's designed specifically for embedding into integrated systems as a Mobile unit or something similiar to that.

It looks to me like it's a Geforce 7xxx series chip though, I can't imagine that a GMA is comparable to that. If it was, then I'd think they would just use the GMA.
post #37 of 67
Quote:

It looks to me like it's a Geforce 7xxx series chip though, I can't imagine that a GMA is comparable to that. If it was, then I'd think they would just use the GMA.

Click
and
Scroll down a bit until you come to the table comparing the different G7x chips. The G72 from what I can tell isn't that much different from the GMA 950.

Sebastian
post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Yeah I thought about stacking when I saw the AppleTV and the new AirPort Extreme – but whilst the current Mac mini and the new AirPort Extreme share the same footprint (6.5"), the AppleTV is slightly larger (7.7").

I don't believe that it is recommended that you put anything on top of these devices because it could interfere with the wireless transmission.
post #39 of 67
Apple TV HD Upgraded http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...0gb-246567.php

Well that didn't take long!
post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I don't believe that it is recommended that you put anything on top of these devices because it could interfere with the wireless transmission.

Not to mention the fact that the top of the TV acts as the unit's heatsink.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Busting into an Apple TV (photos)