or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Iran Captures and Holds British Sailors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Iran Captures and Holds British Sailors - Page 7

post #241 of 367
Well, if parading them on TV is the only difference you can come up with... uh, wait a sec.



They have been held there and continually referred to a highly dangerous individuals dedicated to the destruction of America, thus the ability to treat them as anything but human beings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipton_Three (among other references; take your pick)

I never said the Iranians are acting properly; I simply said the US and the UK are not really in a good position to call them on their behavior.

Iran is acting ridiculously in all of this. However, they are trying to create a smoke screen for their nuke program. They also have been consistently against the US war in Iraq. They share a border with Iraq and thus the possibility of crossings is very high. The US has detained Iranians. The US has engaged in combat along the Iranian border with Iranian agents. There are many, many motivations behind their behavior.

Primarily, however, the Iranians are basically little brats who have yet to grow up and are currently being led by a guy who acts like a paranoid schizo with a warped sense of reality. They change their word, they don't follow norms, and they yes parade prisoners on TV using scripts so they all sound like they are reading the same part. None of this makes Iran look very good. How much of it is a reaction (however mature or immature) to the pressures from the West? Personally, I don't know.

The US and UK are also not known for their truthfulness. Remember their were no secret prisons. Then there were. Remember there were WMDS. Then there weren't. If you border a country that has been invaded for shady reasons, woiuldn't you be at least a little concerned?

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #242 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerDigby View Post

What you on about ? This is miniscule in comparison to Guantanemo.

It's Guantánamo.

As SDW has already said, one cannot make a serious comparison of the two situations.

I may be of the personal opinion that the conditions at Guantánamo are not right, but according to the rules established under the Geneva Convention there is a distinction to be made between unformed soldiers serving under a national flag, and a ragtag bunch of terrorists who are accountable to almost no-one.

Iran certainly knew the risks and dangers in taking uniformed military personnel hostage. It has compounded that action by using the soldiers for propaganda purposes.

While I doubt this will lead directly to an armed conflict right now, it will no doubt linger in military and government minds for a long time.

The U.S. has had a cold war going with Iran since 1979, and Canada is ticked with them because of the murder of a Canadian journalist in 2003. Now the UK is being toyed with.

This isn't good. If Iran keeps going, they will build a Coalition for the U.S. all by themselves.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #243 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

As SDW has already said, one cannot make a serious comparison of the two situations.

I may be of the personal opinion that the conditions at Guantánamo are not right, but according to the rules established under the Geneva Convention there is a distinction to be made between unformed soldiers serving under a national flag, and a ragtag bunch of terrorists who are accountable to almost no-one.

Iran certainly knew the risks and dangers in taking uniformed military personnel hostage. It has compounded that action by using the soldiers for propaganda purposes.

This isn't good. If Iran keeps going, they will build a Coalition for the U.S. all by themselves.

The two situations are similar in many people's minds, thus the reality of a comparison. Also, it is simply that one is in many ways much worse than the other, so the latter one pales in comparison.

Enemy combatants, and the legal proceedings against them: (background reading)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detenti...inst_Terrorism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_combatant

Some people were held for years and then released without charge or apoology. I wonder if they even had to pay their own way home.

Sick, is what Gitmo is, as are the people who created it.

Some peope believe it to be a bad image for the US:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2626502.shtml (7th paragraph)

It is not just some of us, or people "over there", but some in the governement are finally realizing what nonsense the Gitmo act is and are working to do something about it. Hope they don't get fired for going against His Majesty, King Dubya.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #244 of 367
Breaking News:

It seems that many top Newspapers are reporting that the current crisis could well have been avoided and in fact is solely the result of the irresponsible actions of the US President.

Yahoo reports Did Bush Machinations Provoke Seizure of Brits?

While the Belfast Independent goes with The botched US raid that led to the hostage crisis.

It seems that the US were playing 'Reservoir Dogs' again and attempting to abduct yet more foreign nationals in order to 'disappear' them El Salvador Stylee to places where they could be subjected to inhuman torture without any comeback.

Of course the attempt was a bodge job but as the article says:

Quote:
The attempt by the US to seize the two high-ranking Iranian security officers openly meeting with Iraqi leaders is somewhat as if Iran had tried to kidnap the heads of the CIA and MI6 while they were on an official visit to a country neighbouring Iran, such as Pakistan or Afghanistan. There is no doubt that Iran believes that Mr Jafari and Mr Frouzanda were targeted by the Americans. Mr Jafari confirmed to the official Iranian news agency, IRNA, that he was in Arbil at the time of the raid.

In a little-noticed remark, Manouchehr Mottaki, the Iranian Foreign Minister, told IRNA: "The objective of the Americans was to arrest Iranian security officials who had gone to Iraq to develop co-operation in the area of bilateral security."

Note that last sentence....the LAST thing the US wants is security in the region.

Thanks God this lame and criminal attempt failed.

Bush's America is a rabid dog running amok now - we need more countries like Iran with the balls to stand up to this cancerous threat before it bites us all in the ass.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #245 of 367
An Iranian is freed in Iraq:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070403/...a/iran_britain

Hmmm...

The retaliation theory is indeed a good one; the Iranians are plaing at about that level, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #246 of 367
As I posted before, this was the tipping point. Now we'll see if they will release the other "combatants".
post #247 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post


Bush's America is a rabid dog running amok now - we need more countries like Iran with the balls to stand up to this cancerous threat before it bites us all in the ass.

I hereby grant you a complimentary one way ticket to Iran on a date of your choosing. Please let me know when you'd like to leave "Bush's America" for the "freedoms" of Iran.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #248 of 367
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I second that.

As long as Gitmo exists, the US and any ally who fail to condemn Gitmo are in no position to argue with detaining anybody.

Kidnapping people in foriegn countries without those countries' permission; holding prinsoners in secret "prisons" in various countries (aka, holding hostages is hideouts); smuggling prisoners between countries without the proper documentation (human trafficking); holding people without trial and without access to counsel for years on end, not to mention no outside contact (human rights? What rights?).

Mmm...

Not the same thing even if everything you say is taken for granted. The Geneva Conventions clearly apply to uniformed military personnel from a nation-union or nation-state. Gitmo does not hold such personnel. We are talking about regular British soldiers here...clearly uniformed and identifiable.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #249 of 367
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Well, if parading them on TV is the only difference you can come up with... uh, wait a sec.



They have been held there and continually referred to a highly dangerous individuals dedicated to the destruction of America, thus the ability to treat them as anything but human beings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipton_Three (among other references; take your pick)

I never said the Iranians are acting properly; I simply said the US and the UK are not really in a good position to call them on their behavior.

Iran is acting ridiculously in all of this. However, they are trying to create a smoke screen for their nuke program. They also have been consistently against the US war in Iraq. They share a border with Iraq and thus the possibility of crossings is very high. The US has detained Iranians. The US has engaged in combat along the Iranian border with Iranian agents. There are many, many motivations behind their behavior.

Primarily, however, the Iranians are basically little brats who have yet to grow up and are currently being led by a guy who acts like a paranoid schizo with a warped sense of reality. They change their word, they don't follow norms, and they yes parade prisoners on TV using scripts so they all sound like they are reading the same part. None of this makes Iran look very good. How much of it is a reaction (however mature or immature) to the pressures from the West? Personally, I don't know.

The US and UK are also not known for their truthfulness. Remember their were no secret prisons. Then there were. Remember there were WMDS. Then there weren't. If you border a country that has been invaded for shady reasons, woiuldn't you be at least a little concerned?

Black is white. White is black. Iran can basically do whatever it pleases, because in your opinion the US and UK are lying liars. Iran is completely truthful, mind you. They are the truthful ones! See, everything they've done is totally justified, because of that lying chimp in the White House!
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #250 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

I hereby grant you a complimentary one way ticket to Iran on a date of your choosing. Please let me know when you'd like to leave "Bush's America" for the "freedoms" of Iran.

I'll give you a chance to edit before I hold you to it...my bags are pretty much packed and ready to go - you should retract before I start harassing you with my PayPal details
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #251 of 367
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The two situations are similar in many people's minds, thus the reality of a comparison. Also, it is simply that one is in many ways much worse than the other, so the latter one pales in comparison.

Enemy combatants, and the legal proceedings against them: (background reading)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detenti...inst_Terrorism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_combatant

Some people were held for years and then released without charge or apoology. I wonder if they even had to pay their own way home.

Sick, is what Gitmo is, as are the people who created it.

Some peope believe it to be a bad image for the US:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2626502.shtml (7th paragraph)

It is not just some of us, or people "over there", but some in the governement are finally realizing what nonsense the Gitmo act is and are working to do something about it. Hope they don't get fired for going against His Majesty, King Dubya.

The situations parallel in YOUR mind. They are not even close to the same. As for your link, they're common knowledge and I'm not even sure why you've posted them here.

You dislike Gitmo. We disagree. What should we do with these prisoners? Give them access to the criminal court system? That's unbelievably NUTS. They are not entitled to the protections of due process.

Now, we do agree that US citizens, partuclarly those captured in the US (such as Jose Padilla) should be entitled to such protections. The Administration handled that badly. However, take the situation of the American Taliban, Johnny Walker Lindh. He was captured on foreign soil in the process of fighting American forces. What should we do with him? A military tribunal would seem appropriate.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #252 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Black is white. White is black. Iran can basically do whatever it pleases, because in your opinion the US and UK are lying liars. Iran is completely truthful, mind you. They are the truthful ones! See, everything they've done is totally justified, because of that lying chimp in the White House!

Hold on....the US arrests and tortures a load of civilians and disappears hundreds perhaps thousands of people in the grand South American 'Killing Fields' fashion and THEN uses it as an argument about why one shouldn't do it??????

Wtf?????

At LEAST have the balls to actually be proud of it if you're going ot do it....jeez, even Nazis are second class bad quality these days....

What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #253 of 367
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Hold on....the US arrests and tortures a load of civilians and disappears hundreds perhaps thousands of people in the grand South American 'Killing Fields' fashion and THEN uses it as an argument about why one shouldn't do it??????

Wtf?????

At LEAST have the balls to actually be proud of it if you're going ot do it....jeez, even Nazis are second class bad quality these days....


You're hopeless. You really are. Don't pack any shampoos or other liquids when you get on the plane. Oh, and eat plenty of pork before you go. It's going to be a while....
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #254 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You're hopeless. You really are. Don't pack any shampoos or other liquids when you get on the plane. Oh, and eat plenty of pork before you go. It's going to be a while....

Well unlike you I do actually know the area quite well having spent quite a lot of time in the region so I think I'll take my own experience as a guide rather than your lack of it if that's ok.

Seriously, how is it possible to maintain such dogmatism in the face of your obvious lack of knowledge on the subject? I find it quite stunning.

It's like if I suddenly starting telling you 'facts' about the inside of your house and how members of your family feel and what they want...it's quite unbelievable.

So thanks for the advice anyway but I don't eat pork and am well aware of the Orwellian regulations at airports to preserve our 'freedom' so perhaps it is unnecessary in my case.

I think it is me who should be buying you the ticket actually - you might find it an eye-opener. Or eye-closer if you your visit coincides with a visit from your Air Force.....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #255 of 367
post #256 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I'll give you a chance to edit before I hold you to it...my bags are pretty much packed and ready to go - you should retract before I start harassing you with my PayPal details

Well, I would, but alas, I can not afford the carbon credits to cover your flight. Sorry 'bout that.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #257 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Well, I would, but alas, I can not afford the carbon credits to cover your flight. Sorry 'bout that.

Never mind, send me a post-card and let me know what it's like when you are over there doing your patriotic duty when phase 3 kicks off....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #258 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Never mind, send me a post-card and let me know what it's like when you are over there doing your patriotic duty when phase 3 kicks off....

Will do.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #259 of 367
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Well unlike you I do actually know the area quite well having spent quite a lot of time in the region so I think I'll take my own experience as a guide rather than your lack of it if that's ok.

Seriously, how is it possible to maintain such dogmatism in the face of your obvious lack of knowledge on the subject? I find it quite stunning.

It's like if I suddenly starting telling you 'facts' about the inside of your house and how members of your family feel and what they want...it's quite unbelievable.

So thanks for the advice anyway but I don't eat pork and am well aware of the Orwellian regulations at airports to preserve our 'freedom' so perhaps it is unnecessary in my case.

I think it is me who should be buying you the ticket actually - you might find it an eye-opener. Or eye-closer if you your visit coincides with a visit from your Air Force.....

And he's still defending Iran folks...this time by attacking my knowledge of the country.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #260 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

And he's still defending Iran folks...this time by attacking my knowledge of the country.



Let's all just kick back and have an ale, shall we?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #261 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

I hereby grant you a complimentary one way ticket to Iran on a date of your choosing. Please let me know when you'd like to leave "Bush's America" for the "freedoms" of Iran.


Bush's America?

Now what's his approval rating?

32 % ?

PS. Are you sure that's only tobacco you're smoking?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #262 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Bush's America?

Now what's his approval rating?

32 % ?

PS. Are you sure that's only tobacco you're smoking?

Please read the previous posts before responding. I was quoting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Bush's America is a rabid dog running amok now

You obviously just read posts by me or SDW, and throw out some incoherent babble without really contributing to the discussion. At least do yourself the favour of reading WTF is going on before attempting to try to look smart. Otherwise, you appear to be wandering in vain search of a meaningful thought. The jokes on you, pal.

Could it be?
Yep.

T-R-O-L-L.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #263 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Please read the previous posts before responding. I was quoting:


You obviously just read posts by me or SDW, and throw out some incoherent babble without really contributing to the discussion. At least do yourself the favour of reading WTF is going on before attempting to try to look smart. Otherwise, you appear to be wandering in vain search of a meaningful thought. The jokes on you, pal.

Could it be?
Yep.

T-R-O-L-L.

This tends to be SDW's defense also. When you don't really have anything call him a name!

Well when you say nonsensical things like " Bush's America " as if it means something different than the reference you're either not with the times or it's you that are the troll!

I have been reading and the Bush's america / rabid dog that segovius is talking about is that 32%

Sorry jokes on you.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #264 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

This tends to be SDW's defense also. When you don't really have anything call him a name!

Well when you say nonsensical things like " Bush's America " you're either not with the times or it's you that are the troll!

Geez. You didn't even read MY post. I was quoting sego when he said 'Bush's America'. Get your facts straight. Or just keep posting without understanding your gaffes. You choose.

Please, never leave this board. We need the comic relief of someone who is clearly demonstrated to be working from the wrong premise, then reiterates it more emphatically. Please, never ever go.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #265 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Geez. You didn't even read MY post. I was quoting sego when he said 'Bush's America'. Get your facts straight. Or just keep posting without understanding your gaffes. You choose.

Please, never leave this board. We need the comic relief of someone who is clearly demonstrated to be working from the wrong premise, then reiterates it more emphatically. Please, never ever go.


Well you were so quick on the draw this time ( instead of your waiting for me to leave chicken strike ) you didn't let me finish. As I've stated I knew where the reference came from.

Are you that Randycat guy? Because I don't know anyone else who's made the cat - watermelon reference.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #266 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well you were so quick on the draw this time ( instead of your waiting for me to leave chicken strike ) you didn't let me finish. As I've stated I knew where the reference came from.

Are you that Randycat guy?

Let you finish? Huh? There's a button that says "SUBMIT REPLY" - you press that when you are FINISHED and want to post. Bueno? Now that the posting lesson is over...

I responded to your post before you could go back, read what was really going on, and try to edit it before you looked even further silly. It was a sad attempt at cover as well.

Either way, thanks for continued posting and for finally "getting it."

... now back to the regularly scheduled thread.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #267 of 367
sego- what is your appraisal of the "Arab street" in Iran re: the US populace. Do we get slimed with the Bush Brush or do they see the population as separated from the leadership, as we should with them?

... since you seem to be among many recognized experts on the region.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #268 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Let you finish? Huh? There's a button that says "SUBMIT REPLY" - you press that when you are FINISHED and want to post. Bueno? Now that the posting lesson is over...

I responded to your post before you could go back, read what was really going on, and try to edit it before you looked even further silly. It was a sad attempt at cover as well.

Either way, thanks for continued posting and for finally "getting it."

... now back to the regularly scheduled thread.

I know what you meant. Just being quick on the draw doesn't make you right about something.

I really don't need your arogance just answer the question.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #269 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I know what you meant. Just being quick on the draw doesn't make you right about something.

I really don't need your arogance just answer the question.

OK.. so posting a response too quickly is bad. Must give you at least 5 minutes to re-read it and come to your senses. <light bulb goes on> OK. Got it.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #270 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

OK.. so posting a response too quickly is bad. Must give you at least 5 minutes to re-read it and come to your senses. <light bulb goes on> OK. Got it.

As with all guys with multiple handles when you ask a question and receive no reply that's a reply. Got it.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #271 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

As with all guys with multiple handles when you ask a question and receive no reply that's a reply. Got it.

I have no idea what you are talking about, but that is nothing new...
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #272 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

I have no idea what you are talking about, but that is nothing new...


You could have simply said " No ".

That makes me even more suspicious.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #273 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

You could have simply said " No ".

That makes me even more suspicious.

This is so entertaining, watching you in some sort of misplaced paranoia. Please, I have no clue who this Randycat fellow is. I have never had a cat, and certainly not a randy one. To be truthful, I have had watermelons. Lots of 'em.

What did this foul Randycat fellow do that so scarred you, anyway?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #274 of 367
Can we knock it off? Or is somebody trying to get another thread locked because it did not go the way they wanted it to?

-----

The topic of the thread was the UK and Iran, and possibly the US connection, and yes, the possible motivations for Iran to behave as it is and about the right of the UK and US to denounce Iran's ations.

We are in the middle of the 48-hour period announced by GW's pal, Blair. Any ideas what will happen when he deems the time to be up?

Anybody out there old enough to remember the song that went

Bomb, bomb, bomb
Bomb, bomb Iran...

Just for old times...

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #275 of 367
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

This tends to be SDW's defense also. When you don't really have anything call him a name!

Well when you say nonsensical things like " Bush's America " as if it means something different than the reference you're either not with the times or it's you that are the troll!

I have been reading and the Bush's america / rabid dog that segovius is talking about is that 32%

Sorry jokes on you.

Sometimes names are appropriate, jimmac. When someone randomly comes in and posts things like "no one is buying today", , etc without actually contributing to the discussion (and for the purpose of being inflammatory), that's being a TROLL.

Ironically, you're still being a TROLL even while criticizing the use of the term TROLL. Jubelum mentioned he was quoting Seg, and then demonstrated the actual...uh...quotation. Yet you still attack him. That's either because you can't read for shit, or you actually can...and you're just being a (wait for it! wait for it!) TROLL!
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #276 of 367
The end

You guys got to find something else to argue about now. Happy Easter.

Mr. Ahmadinejad <- funny guy.
post #277 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerDigby View Post

The end

You guys got to find something else to argue about now. Happy Easter.

Mr. Ahmadinejad <- funny guy.

So - what re we going to fight about now?

Do we need to start a thread about how great Mr A is for releasing these guys and not shipping them off to a Gitmo equivalent as would doubtless have happened if the boot had been on the other foot?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #278 of 367
^^^ That was a joke btw before anyone starts.

I am looking forward to the interviews with the captives post-release.

Somehow I don't think their stories will be enough of a tale of horror to warrant too much air-time though....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #279 of 367
I think this signals the beginning of the end for Ahmedinejad.

Most likely he did not want to release the hostages but was forced to from above - imo, the Clerics were letting it run a little while to see how things might pan out. international reactions etc and now they decided to intervene.

Maybe they just felt he went to far or the whole operation was out of his control and undertaken by a faction of the Revolutionary Guard on his watch, with or without his orders.

I would be surprised if Ahmedinejad is not removed fairly quickly now - I always thought he would be sacrificed as a pawn when the Mullahs decide they want to offer some concessions to try to start some dialogue with the West.

This seems like the time - perhaps the whole issue was a brilliant strategy to get things moving on this road without losing face. Not 'losing face' is pretty big in Iran - it is kind of like 'the hood' minus the drugs and crap music.....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #280 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Not 'losing face' is pretty big in Iran - it is kind of like 'the hood' minus the drugs and crap music.....



It's just that the guns are a lot bigger in this situation.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Iran Captures and Holds British Sailors