or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Iran Captures and Holds British Sailors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Iran Captures and Holds British Sailors - Page 8

post #281 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post



It's just that the guns are a lot bigger in this situation.

Heheh....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #282 of 367
Iran to release British sailors

Great. Now...

"In other developments today, Iran's official news agency said an Iranian representative was due to meet five Iranians detained by US forces in Irbil, in northern Iraq, in January, Reuters reported."

Wonder how this will turn out. No "quid pro quos" is our stance. Lets dress them up in track suits and serve them some coffee on Good Morning America or something.
post #283 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Anybody out there old enough to remember the song that went

Bomb, bomb, bomb
Bomb, bomb Iran...

Just for old times...



Yep - I'm old.

How about those "Hey Iran!" Mickey Mouse T-shirts?
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #284 of 367
There are many lessons we can all learn from this:

1) The Islamic Republic of Iran, when genuinely engaged, is negotiable, unlike what neo-conservatives try to make us believe.

2) Iran is a whole different country now than it was 28 years ago when they held the American embassy hostage.

3) Iran's establishment is more united than everyone thinks. Painting the Revolution Guard as a mafia or a government inside a government is a strategic mistake.

4) The moderate conservatives in Iran, represented by Ali Larijani, have the unconditional backing of the Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

5) Ali Larijani, who brokered the deal, is the real president of Iran and is the person in Iran the world should be talking to. That's why Ahmadinejad was reading from a written statement at todays press conference.

6) The Islamic Republic, including its radical elements, is not a rogue or irrational regime.

7) Ahmadinejad has been allowed to announce the sailors release to repair the image of Iran that he has greatly damaged through his unnecessary anti-Israel comments.

8) Iran has won the public relations game.

9) Iran is a winner in the recent standoff, as it ultimately was when the U.S. removed its most threatening neighboring regimes in Iraq and Afghanistan.

10) Ahmadinejad is one heck of a street-smart politician.

Even the BBC is giving President "I'madinnerplate" a glowing review. Jeez. Warped World.

I'd also say that the April 6th bombing of Iran has been called off...for now.
post #285 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

1) The Islamic Republic of Iran, when genuinely engaged, is negotiable, unlike what neo-conservatives try to make us believe.

You make some good points. I liked this one. A lot of people, including a few warriors from these forums will be very disappointed. Oh well. There'll be more chances guys.
post #286 of 367
Number 7 and Number 10 are clearly in conflict.

And if Number 6 and Number 9 is true, why do they feel they need to pursue nuclear weapons?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #287 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

And if Number 6 and Number 9 is true, why do they feel they need to pursue nuclear weapons?

"This is an ad from the 1970s purchased by a number of U.S. power companies using the Shah's nuclear power program to convince Americans of the necessity and safety of nuclear energy. How times change."



Yes, it is real.
post #288 of 367
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I think this signals the beginning of the end for Ahmedinejad.

Most likely he did not want to release the hostages but was forced to from above - imo, the Clerics were letting it run a little while to see how things might pan out. international reactions etc and now they decided to intervene.

Maybe they just felt he went to far or the whole operation was out of his control and undertaken by a faction of the Revolutionary Guard on his watch, with or without his orders.

I would be surprised if Ahmedinejad is not removed fairly quickly now - I always thought he would be sacrificed as a pawn when the Mullahs decide they want to offer some concessions to try to start some dialogue with the West.

This seems like the time - perhaps the whole issue was a brilliant strategy to get things moving on this road without losing face. Not 'losing face' is pretty big in Iran - it is kind of like 'the hood' minus the drugs and crap music.....

I hope you are right. I really do. I'm also glad the hostages are being released. It was starting to look like Colbert's "Road to War" graphic there for a second.

Seriously, one can hope this is the mullahs overruling Ahmadinejad. But that may also be wishful thinking. It's not like Iran has had a good track record with hostage taking. There were no consequences for their taking of hostages in 1979...which President Tom was likely involved in himself.

More than likely, the mullahs are behind him and perhaps even more extreme than he is. Reading and hearing about his statement, I I am tempted to think he actually thinks he is "giving a gift" to the British people as he says. I think he may actually believe that he's "saving face" or what not...that somehow he's won this round on the international stage...that he believes his own shit about the "brave" Iranian guard and what not.

If anything, this incident may just show everyone...you included...that the Iranian leadership is, well, nuts. I mean, they're having conflict not just with the West, but the UN Security council as well. They're back and forth with them over the nuclear issue, and just when they need the international standing the most...they take hostages? Hello? Good idea, folks. I'm not so sure the mullahs and President Tom are playing with a full deck. You yourself wondered WTF they were thinking a few days ago.

Additional thoughts?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #289 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

There are many lessons we can all learn from this:

1) The Islamic Republic of Iran, when genuinely engaged, is negotiable, unlike what neo-conservatives try to make us believe.

2) Iran is a whole different country now than it was 28 years ago when they held the American embassy hostage.

3) Iran's establishment is more united than everyone thinks. Painting the Revolution Guard as a mafia or a government inside a government is a strategic mistake.

4) The moderate conservatives in Iran, represented by Ali Larijani, have the unconditional backing of the Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

5) Ali Larijani, who brokered the deal, is the real president of Iran and is the person in Iran the world should be talking to. That's why Ahmadinejad was reading from a written statement at todays press conference.

6) The Islamic Republic, including its radical elements, is not a rogue or irrational regime.

7) Ahmadinejad has been allowed to announce the sailors release to repair the image of Iran that he has greatly damaged through his unnecessary anti-Israel comments.

8) Iran has won the public relations game.

9) Iran is a winner in the recent standoff, as it ultimately was when the U.S. removed its most threatening neighboring regimes in Iraq and Afghanistan.

10) Ahmadinejad is one heck of a street-smart politician.

Even the BBC is giving President "I'madinnerplate" a glowing review. Jeez. Warped World.

I'd also say that the April 6th bombing of Iran has been called off...for now.

Nail on head!

I've got to say that is the most sane, right to the point, post I've read here.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #290 of 367
Commie pinko Carter-loving Mullah bastards!

Sorry. I was channeling MaxParrish for a moment. My bad.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #291 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

"This is an ad from the 1970s purchased by a number of U.S. power companies using the Shah's nuclear power program to convince Americans of the necessity and safety of nuclear energy. How times change."



Yes, it is real.

... and I guess next we'll hear how the shah would have also pledged to give nukular tech to groups that want to nuke Israel and the United States. A world of difference indeed.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #292 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

There are many lessons we can all learn from this:

1) The Islamic Republic of Iran, when genuinely engaged, is negotiable, unlike what neo-conservatives try to make us believe.

2) Iran is a whole different country now than it was 28 years ago when they held the American embassy hostage.

3) Iran's establishment is more united than everyone thinks. Painting the Revolution Guard as a mafia or a government inside a government is a strategic mistake.

4) The moderate conservatives in Iran, represented by Ali Larijani, have the unconditional backing of the Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

5) Ali Larijani, who brokered the deal, is the real president of Iran and is the person in Iran the world should be talking to. That's why Ahmadinejad was reading from a written statement at todays press conference.

6) The Islamic Republic, including its radical elements, is not a rogue or irrational regime.

7) Ahmadinejad has been allowed to announce the sailors release to repair the image of Iran that he has greatly damaged through his unnecessary anti-Israel comments.

8) Iran has won the public relations game.

9) Iran is a winner in the recent standoff, as it ultimately was when the U.S. removed its most threatening neighboring regimes in Iraq and Afghanistan.

10) Ahmadinejad is one heck of a street-smart politician.

Even the BBC is giving President "I'madinnerplate" a glowing review. Jeez. Warped World.

I'd also say that the April 6th bombing of Iran has been called off...for now.

1- Maybe so. Could we be faulted for believing otherwise by Prez Tom's insane behaviour?
2- Then- controlled by mullahs. Now? controlled by mullahs.
3- Perhaps
4- I agree
5- OK, how to we get to him around Prez Tom?
6- Supporting terrorist elements all over the mideast makes them a 'rogue' regime.
7- I hope you are right.
8- Its hard to win when you started it all to begin with. The UK, in all fairness, has done little.
9- ... and this is how they thank us? (byproduct being hundreds of thousands of US troops nearby)
10 - I completely agree. As were Mussolini, Hitler, Mao, etc. It takes smarts or force. He has both.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #293 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

1- Maybe so. Could we be faulted for believing otherwise by Prez Tom's insane behaviour?
2- Then- controlled by mullahs. Now? controlled by mullahs.
3- Perhaps
4- I agree
5- OK, how to we get to him around Prez Tom?
6- Supporting terrorist elements all over the mideast makes them a 'rogue' regime.
7- I hope you are right.
8- Its hard to win when you started it all to begin with. The UK, in all fairness, has done little.
9- ... and this is how they thank us? (byproduct being hundreds of thousands of US troops nearby)
10 - I completely agree. As were Mussolini, Hitler, Mao, etc. It takes smarts or force. He has both.

Good responses. I wouldn't trust any politician anywhere. Street-wise or Harvard-Grad. One thing though...

Quote:
6- Supporting terrorist elements all over the mideast makes them a 'rogue' regime.

It takes one to know one.
post #294 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Good responses. I wouldn't trust any politician anywhere. Street-wise or Harvard-Grad. One thing though...



It takes one to know one.

The Bush regime is a rogue regime.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #295 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post


5) Ali Larijani, who brokered the deal, is the real president of Iran and is the person in Iran the world should be talking to. That's why Ahmadinejad was reading from a written statement at todays press conference.

[sarcasm] Fantastic democracy that they have, in that case.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #296 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

[sarcasm] Fantastic democracy that they have, in that case.

Fantastic Sharia that they have...
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #297 of 367
[CENTER]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

[sarcasm] Fantastic democracy that they have, in that case.

So "I'madinnerplate" has an Edgar Bergen to his Charlie McCarthy.



Gee, where have I seen that before?

[/CENTER]
post #298 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

[CENTER]

So "I'madinnerplate" has an Edgar Bergen to his Charlie McCarthy.

[/CENTER]

Dinner Plate? Maybe I am just too stupid to understand you, or maybe you are just naturally unclear. Is that some inside joke that I need to read all 30 pages of thread to understand?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #299 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Dinner Plate? Maybe I am just too stupid to understand you, or maybe you are just naturally unclear. Is that some inside joke that I need to read all 30 pages of thread to understand?

No, I was on another forum and someone (like me) got tired of spelling (copying/pasting) Ahmadinejad's name. I laughed and it stuck. Nothing against the guy. He does need a tailor though.
post #300 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

No, I was on another forum and someone (like me) got tired of spelling (copying/pasting) Ahmadinejad's name. I laughed and it stuck. Nothing against the guy. He does need a tailor though.

Oh - I get it now. I thought that you were accusing me of being a puppet account driven by one of the other posters or something.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #301 of 367
Good News!
Now, there is absolutely no way The Crazy republican will attack Iran this month as many predicted earlier.

"... One of the navy personnel told Ahmadinejad, right, that he was "grateful for your forgiveness" ..."

"... We are truly annoyed about the fact that the British youth in order to make a living join the army that sends them thousands of kilometers away from home to an illegal zone, where they get caught ..."

Many people will continue leaving ... for now.

Cheers!
MA700LL/A arrived.
---
Latitude D600, PowerEdge 1600SC, OptiPlex GX520
Reply
MA700LL/A arrived.
---
Latitude D600, PowerEdge 1600SC, OptiPlex GX520
Reply
post #302 of 367
Hey! Even the United States of Amnesia released a British hostage.

" ...
"Allegations are made against you that are laughably untrue, but you have no chance to prove them wrong. There is no trial, no fair legal process," al-Rawi said in a statement on Sunday.
... "

Lucky 'Easter' week for England I guess. Where is my f/n bunny!!!
MA700LL/A arrived.
---
Latitude D600, PowerEdge 1600SC, OptiPlex GX520
Reply
MA700LL/A arrived.
---
Latitude D600, PowerEdge 1600SC, OptiPlex GX520
Reply
post #303 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mph View Post

Hey! Even the United States of Amnesia released a British hostage.

" ...
"Allegations are made against you that are laughably untrue, but you have no chance to prove them wrong. There is no trial, no fair legal process," al-Rawi said in a statement on Sunday.
... "

Lucky 'Easter' week for England I guess. Where is my f/n bunny!!!

Residents of UK not citizens. Citizens were released a year ago.
Interesting case this though guilty of setting up a peanut factory in Gambia and of being non committal about the possibilities of working for MI5. OK that and that and the battery charger in the luggage.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/guantanamo...049597,00.html
post #304 of 367
What a wanker this Blair is.

The Iranians let the servicepeople go and all he can do is just forth there with his hideous visage contorted with hate mouthing all the usual 'hardline' bs.

Not an ounce of gratitude or not even conciliation....always has to be the hardman, always lusting for yet more blood and chaos.

The sooner we get rid of this maniac the better.......
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #305 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

What a wanker this Blair is.

The Iranians let the servicepeople go and all he can do is just forth there with his hideous visage contorted with hate mouthing all the usual 'hardline' bs.

Not an ounce of gratitude or not even conciliation....always has to be the hardman, always lusting for yet more blood and chaos.

The sooner we get rid of this maniac the better.......


Nobody fell, for it. Even the Foreign Secretary gave herself away whilst listening.

Bring back Jack Straw..... Guilty of dismissing military action against Iran.

You seen the Trial of Tony Blair?.

http://www.channel4.com/more4/drama/...ony/index.html. Hilarious.
post #306 of 367
Gratitude? Oh, thanks for giving back our people who you kidnapped in the first place. We owe you one, Prez Tom.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #307 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

What a wanker this Blair is.

The Iranians let the servicepeople go and all he can do is just forth there with his hideous visage contorted with hate mouthing all the usual 'hardline' bs.

Not an ounce of gratitude or not even conciliation....always has to be the hardman, always lusting for yet more blood and chaos.

The sooner we get rid of this maniac the better.......

You really think the Brits should thank them? If someone ever bullies your kids, remember to thank them when they are done.

I suppose we missed it when you said the Iranians were not public with their sincere thanks for the release of Jalal Sharafi .

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #308 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Gratitude? Oh, thanks for giving back our people who you kidnapped in the first place. We owe you one, Prez Tom.

'We Gathered Intelligence'

"The captain in charge of the 15 marines detained in Iran has said they were gathering intelligence on the Iranians.

Sky News went on patrol with Captain Chris Air and his team in Iraqi waters close to the area where they were arrested - just five days before the crisis began.

We withheld the interview until now so it would not jeopardise their safety.


And today, former Iranian diplomat Dr Mehrdad Khonsari said if the Iranians had known about it, they would have used it to 'justify taking the marines captive and put them on trial'."

Well that ruins all the fun and goodness, don't it?
post #309 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

'We Gathered Intelligence'


Well that ruins all the fun and goodness, don't it?

There is a difference between "gathering intel" and "violating the (disputed) border." Those things are not interchangeable.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #310 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

'We Gathered Intelligence'

"The captain in charge of the 15 marines detained in Iran has said they were gathering intelligence on the Iranians.

Sky News went on patrol with Captain Chris Air and his team in Iraqi waters close to the area where they were arrested - just five days before the crisis began.

We withheld the interview until now so it would not jeopardise their safety.


And today, former Iranian diplomat Dr Mehrdad Khonsari said if the Iranians had known about it, they would have used it to 'justify taking the marines captive and put them on trial'."

Well that ruins all the fun and goodness, don't it?

They would be a pretty pathetic military if they were not gathering information on neighbouring countries activities in the area.

Quote:
"Modern military operations all have an element of gathering intelligence.

"We need to understand as much as we can about the environment we operate in and intelligence gathering is an every day part of that."

He added: "The UN mandate would clearly empower the military taskforce to gather information about the environment in which they were working."

None of which indicates a) any violation of Iranian waters b) a violation their UN mandated activities.


So, what was the point again?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #311 of 367
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Nail on head!

I've got to say that is the most sane, right to the point, post I've read here.

Sane...because you agree with it. Jesus.

Artman:

Quote:
1) The Islamic Republic of Iran, when genuinely engaged, is negotiable, unlike what neo-conservatives try to make us believe.

2) Iran is a whole different country now than it was 28 years ago when they held the American embassy hostage.

3) Iran's establishment is more united than everyone thinks. Painting the Revolution Guard as a mafia or a government inside a government is a strategic mistake.

4) The moderate conservatives in Iran, represented by Ali Larijani, have the unconditional backing of the Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

5) Ali Larijani, who brokered the deal, is the real president of Iran and is the person in Iran the world should be talking to. That's why Ahmadinejad was reading from a written statement at todays press conference.

6) The Islamic Republic, including its radical elements, is not a rogue or irrational regime.

7) Ahmadinejad has been allowed to announce the sailors release to repair the image of Iran that he has greatly damaged through his unnecessary anti-Israel comments.

8) Iran has won the public relations game.

9) Iran is a winner in the recent standoff, as it ultimately was when the U.S. removed its most threatening neighboring regimes in Iraq and Afghanistan.

10) Ahmadinejad is one heck of a street-smart politician.

1. Willingness to "negotiate" does not mean doing so is a good idea. Of course they're willing...they have nothing to lose.

2. Hmmm. Prove it. They're flipping off the UN. Taking hostages. Yeah, totally different.

3. Unsupported, but OK.

4. Proof? Their actions would seem to suggest otherwise.

5. The "real" President? Again, proof would be nice.

6. ROTFLMAO. Let's see once again: Developing nuke power against UN mandates? Check! Taking hostages? Check! Murdering US personnel inside Iraq? Check!

7. That might be true, warped as the thought is. I doubt Iran was helped at all by the incident.

8. That's stupendously dumb.

9. Iran is the loser. They've further damaged their stature. They've given Western nations more ammo to use if and when we need to strike them for other reasons. How did they "win" exactly?

10. Not judging by his actions. Releasing the hostages immediately with a full apology from Iran would have helped his case that his nation's government was reasonable. The "street smart" politician decided to see how far he could take things, damaging his nation's standing further. He might have pumped up the cheerleaders on the Arab Street, but that's about all. All he did everywhere else in the world was cement views that he and his country were extreme.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #312 of 367
US rejected Iranian overtures in 2003

Oh yeah...and Israel

And America is still holding 5 Iranian officials as "combatants" though there is no evidence that they are. But the British situation may have changed America's mind.

Why does America Love/Hate the Middle East?
post #313 of 367
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

US rejected Iranian overtures in 2003

Oh yeah...and Israel

And America is still holding 5 Iranian officials as "combatants" though there is no evidence that they are. But the British situation may have changed America's mind.

Why does America Love/Hate the Middle East?

Iran is not going to recognize Israel. Secondly, "approaching" the Bush administration does not mean "approaching with anything new."

It's a little like those who favor "engaging in dialogue" with Syria and Iran over the Iraq issue. Hmmm...what to talk about? Anti-semitism? Refusal to cooperate with the UN? Government sponsored anti-American rallies? OR...oooohh...I have one! I have one! What about...that's right Bob! "Sponsoring International Terrorism?" Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

In serious terms, there has to be something to talk about. Iran in particular seems unlikely to give up anything without concessions such as being allowed to ignore the UN security council, having sanctions lifted, oh...and us ignoring the fact they openly sponsor a terrorist orgnaization.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #314 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

US rejected Iranian overtures in 2003

Oh yeah...and Israel

And America is still holding 5 Iranian officials as "combatants" though there is no evidence that they are. But the British situation may have changed America's mind.

Why does America Love/Hate the Middle East?

Love the oil. Hate teh peeples.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #315 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

oh...and us ignoring the fact they openly sponsor a terrorist orgnaization.

Which we (I guess you mean the US), protect:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/...sts/index.html



Go figure!

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #316 of 367
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Which we (I guess you mean the US), protect:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/...sts/index.html



Go figure!

Gee, we haven't been through this before.

The MEK is technically considered a terrorist organization, though my understanding is they are trying to get themselves off that list and deny that they are such. They are also considered good sources of information on Iran, and are opposed to Iran's government. From the article:

Quote:
The MEK denies it is a terrorist group. Both Iran and the Iraqi government, however, accuse the group of ongoing terrorist attacks, and the Shiite-dominated Iraqi government wants it out.

So it's not clear they are even carrying out the attacks in question. Moreover, we may be protecting them, but that's not exactly equal to sponsoring them. It seems more likely that they have similar goals-overthrowing Iran's government chief among them-and at the same time we don't know what the hell to do with them.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with our policy on the MEK. Not at all. Let's just not go running around saying "The US sponsors terror...hypocrites!", mmmk?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #317 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Let's just not go running around saying "The US sponsors terror...hypocrites!", mmmk?

Awwwwww.... but that would be one less thing we could hate on America for. Do we haaaaaave toooooooo?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
"Stand Up for Chuck"
Reply
post #318 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

Awwwwww.... but that would be one less thing we could hate on America for. Do we haaaaaave toooooooo?

But wait.... don't stop hating America yet....these are just some of the terrorist attacks this US sponsored terrorist cell have been responsible for:

Quote:
the series of mortar attacks and hit-and-run raids during 2000 and 2001 against Iranian government buildings; one of these killed Iran’s chief of staff;

the 2000 mortar attack on President Mohammad Khatami’s palace in Tehran;
the February 2000 “Operation Great Bahman,” during which MEK launched twelve attacks against Iran;

the 1999 assassination of the deputy chief of Iran’s armed forces general staff, Ali Sayyad Shirazi;

the 1998 assassination of the director of Iran’s prison system, Asadollah Lajevardi;

the 1992 near-simultaneous attacks on Iranian embassies and institutions in 13 countries;

assistance to Saddam Hussein’s suppression of the 1991 Iraqi Shiite and Kurdish uprisings;

the 1981 bombing of the offices of the Islamic Republic Party and of Premier Mohammad-Javad Bahonar, which killed some seventy high-ranking Iranian officials, including President Mohammad-Ali Rajaei and Bahonar;

support for the 1979 takeover of the U.S. Embassy in Tehran by Iranian revolutionaries;

the 1970s killings ofU.S. military personnel and civilians working on defense projects in Tehran.

Link

As usual the braid-dead morons who are in charge of what pathetically passes for 'diplomacy' can't see past their Freudian fixation with big guns and their sick desire to use murder as a solution to any problem - thank God the kidnapped sailors were British actually or we would have had Wild Bill Bush 'cleaning up town' with all guns blazing and a body-count that would have the wingers reaching for the Kleenex a bit prematurely....

But I digress....this stupidity WILL blow-back yet again and the US will have to face the monster it created in the MEK just like with the Taleban, OBL and Saddam - some idiots never learn.

But than again, maybe they do - maybe that's the plan all along. How else to keep the sheep in line if there isn't a scarecrow? The US wins either way - ragheads get killed and the sales of arms are up....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #319 of 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Which we (I guess you mean the US), protect:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/...sts/index.html



Go figure!

From your linked article, they are also under the protection of the International Red Cross.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #320 of 367
Thread Starter 
Seg:

Quote:
But I digress....this stupidity WILL blow-back yet again and the US will have to face the monster it created in the MEK just like with the Taleban, OBL and Saddam - some idiots never learn.

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying that it doesn't exactly equate to what Iran's doing.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Iran Captures and Holds British Sailors