or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › WTF? iTMS movies look horrible on Apple in-store Sonys

WTF? iTMS movies look horrible on Apple in-store Sonys - Page 3

post #81 of 82
Confirmed. It's a total fuck-up. I would use "frack" except the magnitude of the debacle is astonishing. That and Battlestar G. is over for the year.

I saw two Bravias in store at Sony official retail outlet.

THEY VIDEO OUTPUT IS ABSOLUTELY HIDEOUS

The only way this could have flown is if Sony Pictures is in return going to release movies/tv on iTunes by July 2007.

I've got to warn my store manager and bosses about this. STAY AWAY from the Bravias. I hate to bash brand names, but, you'd have to be brave to buy a Bravia.

They were demo-ing HD Sony cameras output to the LCD 30" or so. And then HDMI output to the 30" with clearly labelled "BluRay" logo on a demo loop (you know, the typical "vacation" scenes and stuff...). This is supposed to be "1080p". It looks terrible. Really.

AppleTV HDMI or component into the Bravias is a big mistake. I am quite confident in this regard at this stage. The colours are to sharp and harsh, oversaturated and unnatural, the contrast glaring, the upscaling somehow creating even further "sub-blockiness" instead of smoothing things out.

I know things are different for different regions (I am in Asia) ... but the Sony LCD TVs had a logo of "Full 1080" next to it - no "p" or "i". It's misleading, because next to it they had a chart showing that the 1080 they are referring to is 1440 lines x 1080 pixels.

If you want to see some beautiful HD at true 1080p (besides 1080p trailers on a 30" Apple Cinema Display)... check out Sharp Aquos with their own demo reel [proprietary "HVD" format AFAIK] (last I saw it was like a Japanese silk and paints and stuff - beautiful, except contrast was not as deep as plasmas). Also, for HDTVs, 30" or 42", I would take a 720p Samsung or Panasonic plasma that has true 1280 x 720 pixels not like 1024 x 720 or stuff. And certainly check the in-built upscaler in these to see DVD, Composite, Component, DVI/HDMI, iPod, iTunes Movies/ TV Shows, BluRay sources and see how it flies.

Maybe we're all too much of aesthetes but Bravias are a no-go zone IMO at this stage. Certainly for anything Apple-related. The brand managers for various Apple stores/ resellers must be gagging and gasping for air right now.

Most important for the recommendations I'm going to make is to go for 1280x720 true native progressive pixels on *plasma*. How much true 1080"p" content are we likely to have, from a global perspective, anyway, over the next 5 years?
post #82 of 82
The thing is LCDs are overtaking Plasmas in popularity and resolution. For 42" Samsungs, I could only find a 1024 x 768 panel as the highest rez for my region. Hmmm... ...LCDs are dropping a lot in price as well.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › WTF? iTMS movies look horrible on Apple in-store Sonys