or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe unleashes Creative Suite 3 product line
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adobe unleashes Creative Suite 3 product line - Page 2

post #41 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

The point being that maybe people should hold off on their "Yay! Adobe!" circle-jerk sessions until their Mac offerings are on par with their Windows offerings.

Up to now, I have been biting my tongue when it comes to wannabees slamming developers.

We have Macs and PCs, but only PCs for stress. (Clients think we need them) However try to get the staff to work on the PCs when they know it is much easier, more beautiful and less hassle to compile on the Mac side.

At the same time, however, we don't tolerate, 'until they do this or that, then your screw them attitude.'

As for Adobe, there isn't a professional graphic designer that I know of that doesn't appreciate the comprehensiveness of their programs and more importantly, how they have affected our futures and bottom lines. Adobe, has always been a close friend of the Mac, and in fact has reiterated time and time again, that if it weren't for Steve Jobs and the Mac, they would be non-existant.

For you to suggest that we should abandon our appreciation for Adobe's Mac products because they not on a par as you have somehow pre-determined with their Windows offerings, tells me that you are an absolute selfish ill-informed ignoramis. And trust me, my words are guarded.
post #42 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are you sure you need PS Extended?

Absolutely. I just reviewed their new video. It looks great, and I could avoid going to Aperture if I don't have to, and the extra 3D functionality looks impressive.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #43 of 71
US upgrade pricing Studio 8 to Web Premium $499
UK upgrade pricing Studio 8 to Web Premium £519

With added sales tax UK upgrade pricing should be around £300

I feel violated!

Stuart
post #44 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

...It looks great, and I could avoid going to Aperture if I don't have to, and the extra 3D functionality looks impressive.

Unfortunately ACR is still pretty much the bottom of the barrel for conversion quality. Which is a shame since everything Adobe has built around ACR is quite nicely thought out.
post #45 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Up to now, I have been biting my tongue when it comes to wannabees slamming developers.

We have Macs and PCs, but only PCs for stress. (Clients think we need them) However try to get the staff to work on the PCs when they know it is much easier, more beautiful and less hassle to compile on the Mac side.

At the same time, however, we don't tolerate, 'until they do this or that, then your screw them attitude.'

As for Adobe, there isn't a professional graphic designer that I know of that doesn't appreciate the comprehensiveness of their programs and more importantly, how they have affected our futures and bottom lines. Adobe, has always been a close friend of the Mac, and in fact has reiterated time and time again, that if it weren't for Steve Jobs and the Mac, they would be non-existant.

For you to suggest that we should abandon our appreciation for Adobe's Mac products because they not on a par as you have somehow pre-determined with their Windows offerings, tells me that you are an absolute selfish ill-informed ignoramis. And trust me, my words are guarded.

Thanks for the Adobe/Apple history lesson, but are you for real?

Pointing out that Adobe is neglecting some Mac users makes me a "wannabe developer"? Your overly-emotional defense of a software company says a lot more about you than I.

And, for what it's worth, when attempting to insult someone, try not to misspell the word.
post #46 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet View Post

Unfortunately ACR is still pretty much the bottom of the barrel for conversion quality. Which is a shame since everything Adobe has built around ACR is quite nicely thought out.

Care to elaborate on this? Is there a real reason why Aperture would be superior in this regard? Thanks.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #47 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

The point being that maybe people should hold off on their "Yay! Adobe!" circle-jerk sessions until their Mac offerings are on par with their Windows offerings.

in what way are their mac offerings not on par with their windows offerings
post #48 of 71
Still find it strange why Adobe didn't include Lightroom in one of their Suites.
post #49 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archstudent View Post

in what way are their mac offerings not on par with their windows offerings

RTFT.
post #50 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

RTFT.

Is that at all related to RTFM?
post #51 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Is that at all related to RTFM?

And brother-in-law to FTFF
post #52 of 71
I assume some of you are watching the live webcast?

http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...event/webcast/

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #53 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I assume some of you are watching the live webcast?

http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...event/webcast/

Yep. Just finished.
Staff yelling to update. With a raise.
post #54 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Yep. Just finished.
Staff yelling to update. With a raise.

Update... but only give a raise if they can meet their individual and group goals...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #55 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Thanks for keeping a calm head. The upgrade is sure to be a traumatic and trying experience for everyone.

ROFL ...In any case AfterEffects in "3rd quarter 2007" would mean motion graphics peoples to be pushed back in their MacIntel purchases to 2nd half of 2007... \

Yeah, I'm not concerned at this stage who makes what and how fast? How would I influence this progress? I'm more interested in timelines, shipping products, and educating people that don't have the time to spend all day on forumz and stuffz with what I currently know.

Peace out.
post #56 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

ROFL ...In any case AfterEffects in "3rd quarter 2007" would mean motion graphics peoples to be pushed back in their MacIntel purchases to 2nd half of 2007... \

Yeah, I'm not concerned at this stage who makes what and how fast? How would I influence this progress? I'm more interested in timelines, shipping products, and educating people that don't have the time to spend all day on forumz and stuffz with what I currently know.

Peace out.

Well Production Studio is going to be available April 16th as a beta on Adobe labs. If its at least as stable as PS CS3 beta than it will do.

Also Apple should be comming out with FCStudio 6 April 15th. Nobody knows whether Apple has their Motion/Shake ready but if it is , say bye bye to AE. ( At least i will , AE is dog slow compared to Motion but Motion lacks some great AE features )
post #57 of 71
I don't understand the idea of keeping GoLive alive, but shipping it as a standalone.

Is it being positioned downmarket from Dreamweaver?

I had thought that GoLive would be pushed to designers while Dreamweaver was pushed to the Coders.
But the marketing for Dreamweaver CS3 has the program being pushed to both markets.

I do like the idea of GoLive continuing, but I don't understand where it's headed.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #58 of 71
there r some shortcommings in the mac versions of macromedia sw like flash. Performance wise as well as from a UI standpoint. Think it's cos they used some sort of java lingo for the gui. Same issue plagues the layer palette in fireworks (not resolved as of fw cs3 beta). DW's interface si prolly the best behaved.

Hopefully adobe might've sorted that out.

i'm still pondering a move to quark esp if indesign and illustrator remain as bug ridden as cs2

There's 1 thing that i liked on the pc with phsop : you could use the scrollwheel or the up and down cursor keys to switch between pull down menu options (like the layer blend modes in the layer pallettes.) However i reckon this is more an os x limitation.

I'd like there to be more support for the os X font palette. Have an option to use that instead of the built in ones. the OS X palette isn't the best either (cmd +w doesn't close it for example) but it lets for quick searching and previewing of fonts. (something that apple can update together with the colour picker!)

Funny i see many bemoan the lack of golive updates (thought it would be a given). Freehand will be sorely missed here - it was showing its age though especially the lack of unicode support. Any chance of multipage layout in illustrator and perhaps less resource hungry app!

</end rant>
post #59 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

And brother-in-law to FTFF

Cousins..
post #60 of 71
well, I'm excited about the Premium Design Bundle. I am confused about Fireworks a little bit, but at the end of the day I use Photoshop, Illustrator, Image Ready, Flash/Dreamweaver, so I'm all ready to go. I saw someone mention about Lightroom. I was suprised at first too, but being that it's not an expensive app for what it does, it's worth the extra money. I don't think to many Photographers would be interested in a whole Suite of Applications. All they really need is Lightroom and or Photoshop. I have already bought Lightroom, i used the Beta for a while and liked it more than Aperture. They both have there ups and downs, but I just felt like I knew my way around Lightroom a little better, I guess it's because I use a lot of other Adobe products. Lightroom runs amazing on my Mac Pro, and from what I herd Photoshop CS3 ran really nicely. Hopefully the rest of the suite will be the same way
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Reply
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Reply
post #61 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

My guys in the studio have done a quick perusal via the Adobe and Macworld sites. Overall, it looks quite impressive. Certainly the concensus is that this is a major overhaul and anyone who criticized its 'delay' should be on their knees and apologizing profusely. At least, quit griefing about it.

So they take ages to start developing properly for OS X and are only just giving us Mach-O binary plugins despite OS X being out for 7 years so everyone will need to update their entire collection, they charge more than the last CS suite and we can only buy the configurations they set out and we're supposed to be grateful?

They should have made it so you could buy individual apps with multiple purchase discounts.

My reaction to this release is 'Finally!' and 'OMG, that's expensive'.
post #62 of 71
It is definitely expensive.

Spare me the "Pros can afford these prices" rant. I know that. However, with Macromedia swallowed up I'm definitely sensing that Adobe doesn't feel it has to hold the line on pricing anymore.

Upgrades are from previous versions of the CS suite. I haven't seen any upgrade pricing for people who only own Photoshop. That tells me that Adobe isn't concerned about any potential threat to Photoshop on either platform.

For those who keep saying that they wish Quark would go away, be careful what you wish for.
Because the existence of Quark is probably the only thing keeping CS pricing from moving even higher.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #63 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It is definitely expensive.

Spare me the "Pros can afford these prices" rant. I know that. However, with Macromedia swallowed up I'm definitely sensing that Adobe doesn't feel it has to hold the line on pricing anymore.

Upgrades are from previous versions of the CS suite. I haven't seen any upgrade pricing for people who only own Photoshop. That tells me that Adobe isn't concerned about any potential threat to Photoshop on either platform.

For those who keep saying that they wish Quark would go away, be careful what you wish for.
Because the existence of Quark is probably the only thing keeping CS pricing from moving even higher.

No, you're wrong on that. There is upgrade pricing for PhotoShop owners for both the CS 3 and PhotoShop as a standalone product. Click on upgrade and choose your option.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #64 of 71
What I meant was an upgrade path for people who only had Photoshop to move to the entire CS suite.
In the past, there was an "upgrade from Photoshop" price where you could get the whole suite.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #65 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

What I meant was an upgrade path for people who only had Photoshop to move to the entire CS suite.
In the past, there was an "upgrade from Photoshop" price where you could get the whole suite.

Again, read the upgrade tabs. There is an upgrade path from just PhotoShop to the entire suite.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #66 of 71
So Adobe no longer offers Photoshop Elements for the Mac? Only for PCs?
post #67 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It is definitely expensive.

No it's not, at least not for you.

In the EU it is expensive, even before our VAT.
Residents of the US and Canada are the lucky bastards who pay about 62% of the price EU residents have to pay.

There was a time, about 5 years ago.
We had to pay about 2499 euro for one copy of Quark Xpress while a US citizen payed less than $1,000 for the same product. (Okay, Quark chocked on it because every European designer in his right mind jumped ship and Quark lowered the price to 1999 euro and eventually 1499 euro in 2005)

So please stop complaining or come over to this side of the pond.
alles sal reg kom
Reply
alles sal reg kom
Reply
post #68 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It is definitely expensive.

Spare me the "Pros can afford these prices" rant. I know that. However, with Macromedia swallowed up I'm definitely sensing that Adobe doesn't feel it has to hold the line on pricing anymore.

Upgrades are from previous versions of the CS suite. I haven't seen any upgrade pricing for people who only own Photoshop. That tells me that Adobe isn't concerned about any potential threat to Photoshop on either platform.

For those who keep saying that they wish Quark would go away, be careful what you wish for.
Because the existence of Quark is probably the only thing keeping CS pricing from moving even higher.

i'm not sure i get this. i ordered the design premium and it comes with all the usual adobe design apps and a macromedia apps flash and dreamweaver. last i checked, the $599 price was less than it would have cost me in the past to update all these apps to a new suite. is it really that expensive? maybe if it was just the normal design apps it would have been considered fairly expensive, but to upgrade from cs2 basic to cs3 with the macro apps seems like a decent deal to me.
post #69 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by gar View Post

No it's not, at least not for you.

In the EU it is expensive, even before our VAT.
Residents of the US and Canada are the lucky bastards who pay about 62% of the price EU residents have to pay.

There was a time, about 5 years ago.
We had to pay about 2499 euro for one copy of Quark Xpress while a US citizen payed less than $1,000 for the same product. (Okay, Quark chocked on it because every European designer in his right mind jumped ship and Quark lowered the price to 1999 euro and eventually 1499 euro in 2005)

So please stop complaining or come over to this side of the pond.

Nah, I feel pretty safe at night here. Besides, I like to vacation there and everything is freekn expensive over there. I think I paid 40 euro just to breathe the air last time I was over there.

Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #70 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

No, you're wrong on that. There is upgrade pricing for PhotoShop owners for both the CS 3 and PhotoShop as a standalone product. Click on upgrade and choose your option.

You don't expand your market share by upgrades. You retain marketshare.

New buyers will have to invest heavily to use this stuff.
post #71 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Again, read the upgrade tabs. There is an upgrade path from just PhotoShop to the entire suite.

I'll check more closely. The Canadian Apple Store only lists the upgrade from CS ($499) and the full version ($1499.)
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe unleashes Creative Suite 3 product line