or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Assisted Suicide

Assisted Suicide

post #1 of 3
Engadget claims to have photos of the new Apple keyboard that would debut along with the next generation iMac. The radius around the corners is too round compared with the actual keys, which to me, suggests that they are fake.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #2 of 3
Elderly suicide rates sound alarm

Anyone who has has to read posts on here for a while has had to listen to my dire prediction that the baby boomer generation will find a silver bullet solution to their retirement problems by literally applying a bullet, silver or any other material, as part of their solution.

This article makes note of the current trend and who is most likely to participate in it, (white males) but also happens to bounce it against the assisted suicide debate.

Quote:
One of the predictions, certainly, is that this increasingly large cohort, as it reaches older adulthood, will tax the system, leaving more people in distress without enough geriatricians and mental health professionals," said John McIntosh, associate dean of psychology at Indiana University and author of "Suicide and the Older Adult."

"If, on top of what's already the highest risk group, you put gas on the fire, the expectation is it's going to be astronomical."

The concerns are expressed best with this quote.

Quote:
Opponents say the proposed law amounts to a state endorsement that could ripple far beyond those who seek a doctor's help, even encouraging suicide.

"There's an atmosphere that legitimizes and facilitates people taking their lives. People who take their lives through this kind of system are being told, 'Yeah, we think it's a good thing. We think you would be better off,'" said Paul Longmore, director of the Institute on Disability Studies at San Francisco State.

"I think our society has given lots of people the message, 'We don't want you to burden us. We want to be rid of the burden of you.' And people internalize that," he said

Longmore noted that suicide victims, with terminal illnesses or not, often experienced depression that is treatable.

This message, that people that are unwanted, that might be burdens, and that we should make choices that eliminate those burdens has been made true with children via abortion. Some folks like myself hold that making a child a choice has had a ripple effect on funding, programs and resources devoted towards children.

I am willing to suggest that the ripple effect discussed here isn't just a bad bit of slippery-slope reasoning. Obviously becoming elderly isn't a choice, but with assisted suicide, consuming what one feels might be disproportionate resources that might be better devoted towards the young, being a burden on family members, or losing ones ability to live independently could be thought of as a choice. Some folks make it now regardless of the fact that it is considered an illegal act. If legalized, many more might undertake that choice as well.

What do you think?

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #3 of 3
I've always found it fascinating how humans have the ability to adjust their outlook on life depending on the circumstances. Most of us don't find the idea of being old very attractive, yet most of us will somehow cope with it. On the other hand it's not very surprising that some are not able to change their outlook on life, especially when their direct or larger environement reenforce the negative feelings one might have, resulting in depression and sometimes suicide.

What if the following would happen: the government agrees to cut your taxes in half (or something like that), if you promise to kill yourself at a certain age, if you ever reach that age (let's say, 75). Personally, I would find that rather appealing, but I'm still young, and a white male, so I probably fit the target demographic.
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Assisted Suicide