or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple adds Vista support with new Boot Camp release

Apple adds Vista support with new Boot Camp release

post #1 of 29
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

finally something coming up ... when Leopard ...

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #2 of 29
I guess the final name is going to be Boot Camp since it used to say "In the next major release of Mac OS X Leopard, Apple will include a new technology called Boot Camp (for now) that lets you install and run Windows on your Mac." they have removed the "(for now)"
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
post #3 of 29
Quote:
What you'll need
A printer for the instructions (Youll want to print them before installing Windows, really.)

Quote:
EFI and BIOS
Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Quote:
Word to the Wise
Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means itll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

Quote:
Tell a Friend
Email people you think might be interested in Boot Camp for Intel-based Macs.

snaps!

post #4 of 29
not sure about Vista Enterprise edition which i am already running on my MacBook.

hopefully drivers will install on Vista Enterprise as well, will tryout this evening.

EDIT : Windows driver installer disk works with Enterprise edition as well. Work like charm, had no problem

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post

I guess the final name is going to be Boot Camp since it used to say "In the next major release of Mac OS X Leopard, Apple will include a new technology called Boot Camp (for now) that lets you install and run Windows on your Mac." they have removed the "(for now)"

Awesome! I love "Boot Camp." It strikes just the right note.
post #6 of 29
In your face Digitimes!
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #7 of 29
Apple Inc. has released a significant update to its Boot Camp dual-booting software that adds support for rival Microsoft Corp.'s new Windows Vista operating system in addition to a half dozen other improvements.

The beta software, which will be included in Apple's upcoming Leopard operating system release, lets users of Intel-based Macs install and run Windows in addition to the Mac OS.

The 138MB Boot Camp 1.2 beta issued on Wednesday is recommended for all new and previous Boot Camp beta users.

Atop the list of enhancements delivered in the new version is 32-bit support for Windows Vista, support the Apple Remote (works with iTunes and Windows Media Player), and a version of Apple Software Update designed specifically for Windows XP and Vista.

The Cupertino-based Apple has also expanded international keyboard support, improved the Windows driver installation experience, and updated the software drivers for trackpad, AppleTime (synch), audio, graphics, modem, and iSight.

Boot Camp 1.2 beta, which is available for download now, also adds a Windows system tray icon for easy access to Boot Camp information and actions.
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

In your face Digitimes!

Exactly what I was thinking
post #9 of 29
Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

Now that was harsh. Not from your part but from Apple's.
post #10 of 29
Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

Seriously.

Dear AI, stop reporting the ridiculous, always-wrong Digitimes rumors.

Sincerely,
Porchland
post #11 of 29
Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

I was about to say that. How lame are those guys?!?

Digitimes

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
post #12 of 29
Would Apple have released this Vista compatible Bootcamp upgrade this early if DigiTimes hadn't reported false claims about delaying Leopard last week?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #13 of 29
Great! Hope that this fixes the "trackpad-gets-stuck"-problem...
post #14 of 29
Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

If Digitimes were to respond they would say it doesn't support 64bit Vista. I never gave the Digitimes report more than a slight chuckle anyway.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #15 of 29
Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

Maybe they ment to saay that they were holding Leopard until Apple was ready to pre-install BootCamp and Vista on all Mac machines, hehe.

Boy am I going to get flamed.
post #16 of 29
For those of us running windows in BootCamp 1.1. How do we go about installing BootCamp 1.2? Do we need to reformat and reinstall windows?

Edit: Duh... I kin reed!

post #17 of 29
Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

Ha. Is it october already? My, how time flies!

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #18 of 29
Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

Digitimes:
post #19 of 29
lol, great news, cept I'm steering clear of vista until sp1, anyone know when that's gonna be, hahaha

btw, a question, I've never updated my boot camp software, if you update it, does it delete the windows partition?
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

lol, great news, cept I'm steering clear of vista until sp1, anyone know when that's gonna be, hahaha

btw, a question, I've never updated my boot camp software, if you update it, does it delete the windows partition?

it just a app, it will NOT delete anything or do anything wrong.

I updated today and Burned CD for Vista Drivers and new features like trackpad thing and so on.

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #21 of 29
Can you tap to click on the trackpad in Windows now?
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptObvious View Post

Apparently still not. Sucks.
post #23 of 29
I'm gonna reinstall Windows tonight I think - I don't trust Windows to be stable enough after replacing so many core drivers.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptObvious View Post

Still no, but the driver is lightyears better than the previous one. The scrolling is a bit more controlled, it doesn't die on standby/hibernate/after using the computer for 5 minutes, and it doesn't begin jumping around erratically in my brief experience.

I installed Vista again last night. I wish they had an XP theme option. The Vista window theme looks like it was designed by a teenager trying to trick out his PC. Can't they put in a theme option for those of us with a little style?
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

I installed Vista again last night. I wish they had an XP theme option.

They do. You have to turn off compositing, though.
post #26 of 29
Quote:

In your face Digitimes!

Yeah, it took Apple what, a week to squash that rumor?

Well, at least they were right that Boot Camp would have Vista support before Leopard is released. And then maybe they heard (or thought they heard) the word "October" in the same conversation and made a "logical leap." A great case of speculative journalism - definitely not something you want to be doing to Apple. I'm sure Steve loves to catch folks like this with their pants down. I wonder if they'll ever learn?
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

They do. You have to turn off compositing, though.

No such theme is listed in the theme options. I know you can go back to classic, but none of the options look anything like the XP theme. Please provide further details.
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

I installed Vista again last night. I wish they had an XP theme option. The Vista window theme looks like it was designed by a teenager trying to trick out his PC. Can't they put in a theme option for those of us with a little style?

I don't know, I find the UI much more sedate and muted then XP's grandiose colors and all.
post #29 of 29
So why does it not support enterprise ? (unless already installed using the previous version of Bootcamp) I get a disk not found error and it does not mention enterprise as a viable option
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple adds Vista support with new Boot Camp release