or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Why Apple's Browser Won't Be Called iWeb, iBrowse, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why Apple's Browser Won't Be Called iWeb, iBrowse, etc.

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
All this talk about the Apple browser in the works has got me kinda miffed. Why do people think they'll make an iApp out of it? Do they seriously expect it will be called iWeb? iBrowse? C'mon! iApps, at least the majority of them, seem to replace physical devices:

iTunes: Replaces stereo system & music racks; physical objects.
iPhoto: Replaces darkroom (?), shoebox, & photo albums; physical objects.
iMovie: Replaces complex tape-editing equipment & Video Toasters; physical objects.
iDVD: Maybe an exception; replaces layout/duplication equipment (?); physical objects.
iCal: Replaces desktop paper calendar; physical object.
iSync: Okay, the real exception.
iChat: Replaces telephone (?); physical object.

Now look at the other, "generic-named" apps:

Mail: That's it, just "Mail".
Address Book: Ditto.
Sherlock: Cleverly named Internet search tool.
Clock: Self-explanatory.

---

So I think Apple's browser will be called:

1: Internet
2: Navigator
3: ?

But I don't think it'll just be a browser. It's gotta have some Mac in the formula. I expect it'll be extremely Sherlock-friendly (i.e. maybe round-tripping back to Sherlock, with the "where-you-just-came-from" link highlighted in the results.) Maybe even "find similar sites" functions with a simple "Sherlock This!" button, or even advantages like Sherlock constantly keeping up with you as you surf if you have both open. I think it'll do something new with Favorites (I don't know what, but something organization-wise). Drag-and-drop text or Word documents into text fields to dump the contents (i.e. a lengthy post on an Apple-related discussion forum...) into the box. And of course it'll have some neat .Mac features built in (i.e. advanced HomePage builder, drawers for iDisk/HomePage/Home Folder/etc.). I guess we'll find out, but my vote's for Internet.app.

And some people think I'm crazy!

- Johnny Dangerously

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: Johnny Dangerously ]</p>
"Whaddya mean Barq's has bite?"
"Johnny?"
"Whaddya mean Barq's has bite?"
"...Johnny?"
Reply
"Whaddya mean Barq's has bite?"
"Johnny?"
"Whaddya mean Barq's has bite?"
"...Johnny?"
Reply
post #2 of 34
I could see Internet (or maybe just "i", after all i initially meant "internet" (I think...)). But, I would rather that they keep the name Chimera, and ditch "Navigator" since it goes with Mozilla and all those big monstrous names (do I hear iZilla? ).

Speaking of Chimera, anyone know what's up with it's rendezvous support? I read the change logs and it has support for it for Mac OS 10.2.3...

Specifically here:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Changes for 12/06/2002
-----------------------------------------------------------

Add new source files for Rendezvous support, bug 176348.

Add new menu items and strings for rendezvous support (still WIP). Bug 176348.

Add support for Rendezvous, on 10.2.3 and later. Bug 176348. Still work in progress, is preffed off by default.

Do we get to share bookmarks or something?
post #3 of 34
I think it would be cool - and a bit like Apple - to name/brand it with something kinda cool, in an oblique-reference-to-the-Internet kinda way.

I'm thinking surfing, okay? But not surfing. But some cool word that ties in with surfing, BUT also makes sense in an "Internet/online" kind of way.

Pipeline.



Don't laugh...

What is a "chimera", by the way? I honestly don't know.
post #4 of 34
Think of all the cool logo ideas (an OS X icon, in particular) you could get with Pipeline or whatever. An Aquafied surfboard with a globe behind it. Or riding through the water on the globe.

It's late. Good night...
post #5 of 34
Why do you say that iApps replace physical things but non iApps don't? Mail replaces your mailbox. Address Book replaces your address book. Clock replaces a physical clock. The only exception that you mentioned was Sherlock... but then again iSync is an exception the other way.

I think a better analogy would be to say that iApps work with multimedia. Remember all the "multimedia" computers that came out in the mid 90s? Well, that's what we're getting into. There are always a few exceptions, but I think those fit better. iSync, iChat and iCal don't really have to do with multimedia, but there aren't any exceptions the other way. You could also look at the iApps as being non-necessary, amusement apps. Mail, your browser, TextEdit, and System Prefs are the essential apps, really.
post #6 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by pscates:
<strong>

What is a "chimera", by the way? I honestly don't know.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Chimera, comes from the greek word Χίμαιρα. It is a female fire-breathing monster in greek mythology, usually represented as a mixture of lion, goat and dragon <img src="graemlins/surprised.gif" border="0" alt="[Surprised]" /> (see <a href="http://www.mythologia.8m.com/velerefontis.html" target="_blank">here</a> for a representation). It has been killed by Βελλεροφόντης (his name means the person who killed Βέλλερος, a tyrant in ancient Corinth) with the assistance of Πήγασος (Pegasus), the well known winged horse. The term is used today to designate a dream or fantasy impossible to make real, and generally non-real things. I cannot see how it is connected to web browsing (perhaps because chimera is a monster like the members of the *zilla family?).
post #7 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by chych:
<strong>Speaking of Chimera, anyone know what's up with it's rendezvous support? I read the change logs and it has support for it for Mac OS 10.2.3... [..] Do we get to share bookmarks or something?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No. Chimera's Rendezvous implementation will automatically discover Rendezvous-enabled FTP, HTTP and HTTPS servers. You can try if you have a 10.2.3 build (as in, you're a developer or you wait a few weeks ), turn on FTP sharing in the Sharing PreferencePane, and turn on the Chimera Rendezvous pref (I can look it up if you can't find it out yourself). Then, Chimera will offer your local FTP server as a server to connect to in the "Local Servers" submenu in the Go menu.
post #8 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by pscates:
<strong>I think it would be cool - and a bit like Apple - to name/brand it with something kinda cool, in an oblique-reference-to-the-Internet kinda way.

I'm thinking surfing, okay? But not surfing. But some cool word that ties in with surfing, BUT also makes sense in an "Internet/online" kind of way.

Pipeline.



Don't laugh...

What is a "chimera", by the way? I honestly don't know.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Actually that name isnt all that bad!
I like it
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
Reply
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
Reply
post #9 of 34
I dun think Apple will ever develop their own browser. To attract switchers from the windows side, Microsoft IE is absolutely essential.

Switchers with no Mac background will get scared if they dun see IE bundled with the Mac.
iSurf, iSaw and iType
Reply
iSurf, iSaw and iType
Reply
post #10 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by PB:
<strong>

Chimera, comes from the greek word Χίμαιρα. It is a female fire-breathing monster in greek mythology, usually represented as a mixture of lion, goat and dragon <img src="graemlins/surprised.gif" border="0" alt="[Surprised]" /> (see <a href="http://www.mythologia.8m.com/velerefontis.html" target="_blank">here</a> for a representation). It has been killed by Βελλεροφόντης (his name means the person who killed Βέλλερος, a tyrant in ancient Corinth) with the assistance of Πήγασος (Pegasus), the well known winged horse. The term is used today to designate a dream or fantasy impossible to make real, and generally non-real things. I cannot see how it is connected to web browsing (perhaps because chimera is a monster like the members of the *zilla family?).</strong><hr></blockquote>


AIN'T UNicode great?!

That is so cool, Hebrew is even cooling as you can drag and drop vowels over the characters

long live UNICODE!

oh, but, yeah, I hope it does not have an i

but in reality, it is the only one that SHOULD

in the original iMac, i stood for INTERNET

non of the other apps really do... (maybe iSync)

but yeah, if ANYTHING, this is the only program that SHOULD have an I

(sorry about the lousy post, early and i am cold)
<img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" /> <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" /> <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" /> <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
post #11 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by PB:
<strong>

Chimera, comes from the greek word Χίμαιρα. It is a female fire-breathing monster in greek mythology, usually represented as a mixture of lion, goat and dragon <img src="graemlins/surprised.gif" border="0" alt="[Surprised]" /> (see <a href="http://www.mythologia.8m.com/velerefontis.html" target="_blank">here</a> for a representation). It has been killed by Βελλεροφόντης (his name means the person who killed Βέλλερος, a tyrant in ancient Corinth) with the assistance of Πήγασος (Pegasus), the well known winged horse. The term is used today to designate a dream or fantasy impossible to make real, and generally non-real things. I cannot see how it is connected to web browsing (perhaps because chimera is a monster like the members of the *zilla family?).</strong><hr></blockquote>

psh...i was just going to tell him it's an imaginary beast...didn't know we were going to go all technical
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
post #12 of 34
iNet.

Just wait and see.

<img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
post #13 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by stunned:
<strong>I dun think Apple will ever develop their own browser. To attract switchers from the windows side, Microsoft IE is absolutely essential.

Switchers with no Mac background will get scared if they dun see IE bundled with the Mac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why do you say that?
post #14 of 34
[quote]I dun think Apple will ever develop their own browser. To attract switchers from the windows side, Microsoft IE is absolutely essential.

Switchers with no Mac background will get scared if they dun see IE bundled with the Mac.
<hr></blockquote>

Apple already hired the guy who is developing Chimera so I doubt that is true. Besides IE sucks a lot, if anything, switchers will see that web browsing is SLOW on a mac through IE.
post #15 of 34
I vaguely remember one of the chimera crew saying in an interview that they chose the name chimera 'cause it consisted of an aqua/mac "head" on a mozilla/gecko "body". The chimera beast has a goats head on a lions body, or was it the other way around? Sources seem to differ on this one. some even claim it has three heads.

I think the best name for an apple browser is:

Webfinder

It shouldn't be integrated into the finder or the os or anything. It's just a great and intuitive (descriptive) name with a lot of apple "ring" to it.

edit: spelling.

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: LowB-ing ]</p>
post #16 of 34
btw anybody knows a key-shortcut for going back a page in chimera's navigator for a european keyboard. Can u give me the physical locotion on the keyboard of an powerbook 1ghz.

Thanks
Shit Happens
Reply
Shit Happens
Reply
post #17 of 34
How are you supposed to pronounce Mozilla?

Mo' Zilla?

MowZilla?

MotsZilla?

Motszillya?

Andrew
post #18 of 34
is there a complete off all the browsers out there for OS X?
post #19 of 34
<a href="http://www.icab.de/dl.php" target="_blank">iCab 2.8.2</a>
<a href="http://www.mozilla.org/releases/" target="_blank">Mozilla 1.2.1</a>
<a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/chimera/" target="_blank">Chimera 0.6</a>
<a href="http://home.netscape.com/computing/download/" target="_blank">Netscape 7.01</a>
<a href="http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/" target="_blank">OmniWeb 4.1.1</a>
<a href="http://www.opera.com/" target="_blank">Opera 6</a>

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
post #20 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by drazztikka:
<strong>btw anybody knows a key-shortcut for going back a page in chimera's navigator for a european keyboard. Can u give me the physical locotion on the keyboard of an powerbook 1ghz.

Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

Its apple-backarrow. And foward is apple-fowardarrow.
OS 9 smiles down upon you.
Reply
OS 9 smiles down upon you.
Reply
post #21 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by Paul:
<strong><a href="http://www.icab.de/dl.php" target="_blank">iCab 2.8.2</a>
<a href="http://www.mozilla.org/releases/" target="_blank">Mozilla 1.2.1</a>
<a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/chimera/" target="_blank">Chimera 0.6</a>
<a href="http://home.netscape.com/computing/download/" target="_blank">Netscape 7.01</a>
<a href="http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/" target="_blank">OmniWeb 4.1.1</a>
<a href="http://www.opera.com/" target="_blank">Opera 6</a>

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</strong><hr></blockquote>
Which are the best? I don't see IE on there.
post #22 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by Andrew Xt:
<strong>How are you supposed to pronounce Mozilla?

Mo' Zilla?

MowZilla?

MotsZilla?

Motszillya?
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Shirley.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #23 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by Mac Man 020581:
<strong>I don't see IE on there.</strong><hr></blockquote>And I'll bet that was no accident.

Most people who try the other browsers will quickly abandon IE for good whether it be for a superior interface, proper threading and multitasking, more flexible features, or just better speed overall. OmniWeb and Chimera are currently the "top dogs" in my book.

I think it's just hilarious that everyone is jumping on the bandwagon that Apple is building a new browser out of Chimera. It wasn't really all too long ago that people were saying the same thing about Apple and OmniWeb.

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
post #24 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by EmAn:
<strong>

Why do you say that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Personally I dun like IE, it really is slow and keeps hanging on me

But for ignorant switchers who are considering switching to Macs, they will most likely consider the compatability of the Mac with IE and other office apps.

Thus, Apple will stick to IE for the forseeable future to attract these switchers.

However, once these switchers switch, they will probably find IE slow and perhapes if they are savvy enough, go and find a better one like Chimera.

Just like me
iSurf, iSaw and iType
Reply
iSurf, iSaw and iType
Reply
post #25 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by Mac Man 020581:
<strong>
Which are the best? I don't see IE on there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Chimera. IE for OS X sucks.
post #26 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by Brad:
<strong>And I'll bet that was no accident.</strong><hr></blockquote>

well no not really... i couldnt find a link for IE for the mac on microsoft's website... the only one i could find was in the mac OS X download page on apple's website... <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" /> shows how much MS cares about IE on the Mac...

as for my favorite... i currently use OW because it is the most consistent (and because i paid for it )

but I break out Chimera when i need to use java for something...

Unfortunately I also break out IE on occasion for certain websites i visit also...

I have the rest on my computer for shits and giggles... its fun to see the differences sometime between websites on different browsers.

I especially like iCab's smily face.

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
post #27 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by stunned:
<strong>But for ignorant switchers who are considering switching to Macs, they will most likely consider the compatability of the Mac with IE and other office apps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

as long as apple bundle's a web browser with the computer i dont think it will make a difference. esp as long as netscape is still around...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
post #28 of 34
And gordy's vote for the name of an Apple browser...


Surf.
post #29 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by Paul:
<strong>
well no not really... i couldnt find a link for IE for the mac on microsoft's website... the only one i could find was in the mac OS X download page on apple's website... <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" /> shows how much MS cares about IE on the Mac...

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Im not sure why you are having trouble finding this... go to <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mac/" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/mac/</a> and its all over the page. Actually a well designed site.

As far as browsers, I personally prefer Chimera, and I LOVE the tabed browsing, although I have 3 complaints...


1. Drop down menus occasionally dont work. Unfortunately this is the case with my school's website.

2. Text is sometimes displayed smaller than on other browsers.

3. Why the bloody heck is Chimera called Navigator???

Still though, Im all for the program over any other browser.
post #30 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by gordy:
<strong>And gordy's vote for the name of an Apple browser...


Surf.</strong><hr></blockquote>

iSurf.
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
post #31 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by 4fx:
<strong>
As far as browsers, I personally prefer Chimera, and I LOVE the tabed browsing, although I have 3 complaints...

1. Drop down menus occasionally dont work. Unfortunately this is the case with my school's website.<hr></blockquote></strong>
Amen on that one.
[quote]<strong>2. Text is sometimes displayed smaller than on other browsers.<hr></blockquote></strong>
Never experiences that one before...
[quote]<strong>3. Why the bloody heck is Chimera called Navigator???<hr></blockquote></strong>
Amen on that one too.

And to add to the list, Mozilla/Chimera often 'blocks' if used intensively. I then force quit the program, start it up again, only to get the spinning ball whatever I do. Usually the only solution is to reboot, wait a few minutes, or sometimes the trick is to start up the browser, manually quit, and then start it up again! Weird..

And of course, that bookmarks drawer is paaaaiiiinfully slow!
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
post #32 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by 4fx:
<strong>1. Drop down menus occasionally dont work. Unfortunately this is the case with my school's website.</strong><hr></blockquote>I've seen this happen too on certain JavaScripts. I blame the ancient Mozilla 1.0.1 codebase. Unfortunately, the grounp seems adamant to not undate the trunk Mozilla code until it's at or past 1.0.
[quote]<strong>2. Text is sometimes displayed smaller than on other browsers.</strong><hr></blockquote>I've been complaining to the project folks about this for months on end. Sometimes the text will be way too big, then it'll be too small. I don't understand why this must be so difficult to fix. Mozilla displays text sizes properly.
[quote]<strong>3. Why the bloody heck is Chimera called Navigator???</strong><hr></blockquote>I believe your complaint here is really not necessary. After all, it is just a name, no? I'll explain. Chimera was the original name of the project to graft Fizilla/Cocoazilla into a native interface. When builds finally went public and started being released in a regular fashion, complaints started coming in about another browser named Chimera. Well, sure enough there is/was an existing internet browser by this name. To prevent any future complaints or actions from the people making the other browser, the Chimera project changed the actual app's name to Navigator. Netscape had no complaints about this. Thus, the project's name is Chimera and the app's name is Navigator. Think of it as a code name. It's like how 10.2 is frequently referred to by its project code name Jaguar.

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
post #33 of 34
[quote]Originally posted by 4fx:
<strong>

Im not sure why you are having trouble finding this... go to <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mac/" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/mac/</a> and its all over the page. Actually a well designed site.</strong><hr></blockquote>

actually, i found <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mac/download/default.asp" target="_blank">This site</a>
which only linked to the actual download, not a page about the file...

oh well, i wasn't really looking that hard anyway
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
post #34 of 34
Going back to the whole "surf" thing I spoke of earlier, I thought of a cool phrase that could be used when (or IF) this alleged Apple browser hits the streets:

Hang X



Get it? Surf lingo, BUT with an...never mind. You're a smart bunch. I trust you.

By the way, how long will OS X stick around, as OS "X"? Will there ever be an OS 11? Or do we just keep adding 10.2.3 or 10.5.8 or whatever?

:confused:

But maybe this browser will make its debut during OS X's era, and Apple can - smartly - use my bitchin' tagline above in their marketing efforts (as they were).

If they name their browser in any way that's surf-related and DON'T use "hang X" in some way, they're idiots and need to hire a better marketing/advertising group.



Namely, us.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Why Apple's Browser Won't Be Called iWeb, iBrowse, etc.