or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Raw style

Raw style

post #1 of 15
The liberal in me loves this website / blog where topics such as raw food rule the day. It is sort of a health liberation idea where by individuals are encouraged to eat raw healthy foods instead of say processed foods.

Give it a look and let me know what you think,

Any here into healthy living? If so please share!

http://aniphyo.com/

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 15
Why do we have two raw foods threads?
post #3 of 15
"health liberation"?

Liberation from what?
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

"health liberation"?

Liberation from what?

Liberation from health sounds like a pretty bad deal to me 8)
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

The liberal in me loves this website / blog where topics such as raw food rule the day.

The liberal in me is confused at the thought of stupid eating practices having anything to do with politics.

That said, I do love me some sushi and steak tartar.
post #6 of 15
Well, this being the Bay Area, we actually have a number of raw restaurants to choose from.

My favorite is Cafe Gratitude, of which there are four (menu here)

You'll notice that it ain't cheap. And for someone such as myself, putting together enough food to feel satisfied is downright expensive.

On the other hand, it's actually delicious! First time there, at a friend's insistence, I was dubious, but pretty much everything tasted great. I guess one way to look at the prices is that this is actually a pretty high end place, gourmet dining wise, and the general hippy/health food ambiance is just misleading. Taken that way, the prices are by no means out of line for a lot upscale Bay Area eateries.

I peaked in the kitchen, and as you might imagine: no stoves. But lots and lots of hand and electric grinders. And mortar and pestles. And presses. And endless rows of jars with seeds, grains, nuts, seasonings and oils (all cold pressed, of course). I guess the trick for making things like "bread" and "corn chips" and the like is to grind a bunch of stuff real fine, bind it with oils, press it to shape, and let it air dry.

Ironically, if you want to be a "rawatarian" and want a varied, interesting diet, you actually have to do quite a bit more work to produce things.

Still, I can see the appeal, to an extent. Have no idea if the health claims hold any water.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Have no idea if the health claims hold any water.

Look what it did for this young women:

http://www.rawreform.com/component/o...page/Itemid,1/

I am not sure I could stick to something like this diet nor would I even enjoy it but I can see myself incorporating some of the foods into my diet.

Fellowship

post #8 of 15
Yeah... she watched what she ate and lost weight.

You can do that with cooked food too...
post #9 of 15
Quote:

Yeah... she watched what she ate and lost weight.

You can do that with cooked food too...

No kidding. I know I'm a bit old fashioned, but the "eat less calories than you burn" diet seems to produce results. What a crazy universe.
Cat: the other white meat
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

No kidding. I know I'm a bit old fashioned, but the "eat less calories than you burn" diet seems to produce results. What a crazy universe.

Not so much, in my experience. Eat less => body starts to burn less => no weight loss. Even if you do lose weight, it is most likely protein loss, and since each unit of protein binds eight units of water, it all comes back right quick.

To lose weight you need to gain muscle mass, which makes your body less efficient.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #11 of 15
what's a unit of protein?
post #12 of 15
It doesn't really matter. If weight is to be lost, calories burned must exceed calories taken in. That's pure science.
post #13 of 15
I was just pointing out that he doesn't really know what he is talking about... As you know 'a unit' is well completely arbitrary...
post #14 of 15
Quote:

what's a unit of protein?

pound, kilo, gram, whatever - any unit of weight measure will do since it is a ratio.

Quote:

I was just pointing out that he doesn't really know what he is talking about... As you know 'a unit' is well completely arbitrary...

You are pretty negative lately...
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #15 of 15
Yeah... I know...

The important facet (weight) of your random statistic, wasn't clear in your first post. For all I know it could have been volume, mols or some other "unit"...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Raw style