or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Garmin releases POI Loader and WebUpdate for OS X

Garmin releases POI Loader and WebUpdate for OS X

post #1 of 15
I'm still waiting for MapSource for OS X, but those of you with StreetPilot, Nuvi, or any of the other "road" models might find the POI loader and system software updater useful:

Link here: Garmin
post #2 of 15
Thanks for the info.
This beats using Boot Camp by a longshot.
post #3 of 15
Mapsource for OSX, what a concept! There's a crappy old PC sitting mostly unused beside me here, for one reason...I need it for Mapsource. When is Garmin going to let me send it off to the dump where it belongs.
I wouldn't join any club that would have
someone like me as a member.
I wouldn't join any club that would have
someone like me as a member.
post #4 of 15
Garmin announced officially at MWSF '06 that they'd have their software available on OS X by the end of '06. Obviously that didn't happen (barring the apps for their trainer GPSes). This is the first update on their OS X progress we've seen since. Hopefully MapSource is coming...
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by normhead View Post

Mapsource for OSX, what a concept! There's a crappy old PC sitting mostly unused beside me here, for one reason...I need it for Mapsource. When is Garmin going to let me send it off to the dump where it belongs.

haha. me too. i wonder how many pc's are going to get thrown away when mapsource goes native.
post #6 of 15
Any running Mapsource under XP on Parallels? That's what I was going to try next...
post #7 of 15
I find it hard to believe that it could take Garmin this long to get their Mapsource software working with OS X. What's wrong with them? Do they simply have one person working on it with no motivation? It's hard to imagine how maps and a simple GPS interface could be so hard for them to port to OS X. We've all been waiting YEARS for this, and yet we've heard nothing since MWSF 06, as mikef pointed out.

Of course, when there's no serious competition with Mapsource it's easy for them to be lazy and not get it done.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I find it hard to believe that it could take Garmin this long to get their Mapsource software working with OS X. What's wrong with them? Do they simply have one person working on it with no motivation? It's hard to imagine how maps and a simple GPS interface could be so hard for them to port to OS X. We've all been waiting YEARS for this, and yet we've heard nothing since MWSF 06, as mikef pointed out.

Of course, when there's no serious competition with Mapsource it's easy for them to be lazy and not get it done.

Well Mapsource is Arc for Kids. What I would like would be ArcGIS for OS X. With a Mac interface...so in other words, easy to use. Hah, and no bugs. OK I'll keep dreaming.

Mapsource is actually coming though, that's impressive. Be thankful. I certainly am, I'll be getting it.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Well Mapsource is Arc for Kids. What I would like would be ArcGIS for OS X. With a Mac interface...so in other words, easy to use. Hah, and no bugs. OK I'll keep dreaming.

Mapsource is actually coming though, that's impressive. Be thankful. I certainly am, I'll be getting it.

I'll be getting Mapsource as well, the question really is when? This year? If so, when this year? They announced in 2006, does that mean we'll have to wait until '08 to get it? If so, does that imply that there will be something Leopard-only involved?
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #10 of 15
I called Garmin Support today and their representative said that the reason Mapsource has not been released on the Mac is due to Apple failing to "release drivers" needed to make the GPS units work with Mapsource.

That sounds counter-intuitive to me, but wanted to put this out there so you all could see it. I'd hate to think that Apple would intentionally keep Garmin's software from use on a Mac.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #11 of 15
Uh, Garmin made the hardware, why should Apple be responsible for the drivers?

Why is it third-party software (such as RouteBuddy) can support Garmin GPSes on OS X, but Garmin cannot?

Either the person you talked to is misinformed or they're feeding you a lousy excuse.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post

Uh, Garmin made the hardware, why should Apple be responsible for the drivers?

Why is it third-party software (such as RouteBuddy) can support Garmin GPSes on OS X, but Garmin cannot?

Either the person you talked to is misinformed or they're feeding you a lousy excuse.

I thought so too, but then again there has to be something substantial keeping them from releasing their Mapsource software for the Mac. I'm not sure who is to blame for it, I just wanted to let everyone know what the guy at Garmin told me.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #13 of 15
Quote:

I thought so too, but then again there has to be something substantial keeping them from releasing their Mapsource software for the Mac.

I would guess lack of resources in their OS X development team. For all we know, that team could be nothing more than 1 or 2 people.

90+% of Garmin's userbase are Windows users, so the Windows version of Mapsource will get the most resources and attention.

Quote:
I'm not sure who is to blame for it, I just wanted to let everyone know what the guy at Garmin told me.

I'd take what he said with a grain of salt. This is far from an Apple issue, especially if third-party companies have been able to make Garmin GPSes compatible with OS X.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post

I would guess lack of resources in their OS X development team. For all we know, that team could be nothing more than 1 or 2 people.

90+% of Garmin's userbase are Windows users, so the Windows version of Mapsource will get the most resources and attention.

I'd take what he said with a grain of salt. This is far from an Apple issue, especially if third-party companies have been able to make Garmin GPSes compatible with OS X.

mikef, would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction regarding these third-party companies? How do they get maps onto the Garmin GPS's? That's why Mapsource is so critical. They have all the street maps. I'd love to be able to use my Garmin without having to use Mapsource. I just haven't seen anything equal it.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #15 of 15
Quote:

mikef, would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction regarding these third-party companies? How do they get maps onto the Garmin GPS's?

Sorry, I didn't imply that the third-party software is able to upload maps to Garmin GPSes. The third party software (such as RouteBuddy) can upload/download waypoints, tracks, routes, which implies the developers' working knowledge of the USB interface to the GPS.

Quote:
That's why Mapsource is so critical. They have all the street maps. I'd love to be able to use my Garmin without having to use Mapsource. I just haven't seen anything equal it.

I doubt you'll be able to load Garmin maps with any other software than Mapsource. I know there are apps on Windows for creating Garmin-compatible maps, so maybe something exists, but nothing I've seen for OS X.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Garmin releases POI Loader and WebUpdate for OS X