or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Peanut Butter, the atheists nightmare!

Peanut Butter, the atheists nightmare! - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Here.

Makes "Bananas, proof of God's plan" and "Nature had it first" look like episodes of Cosmos.

I don't intent this as a slap at I.D. folk, because it is so thoroughly confused on pretty much everything that I don't think anybody would want to defend it.

I am sort of mystified by how completely off the rails the people who made this must be and how they managed to not know anything, whatsoever, about biology, primordial conditions, what evolution even claims to be about, or modern product packaging and still felt motivated to make a video about those very topics.

If it wasn't for real it would be one of the great parodies of our age. Unless it is. Is it?

Edit: you have to love the terribly adult sounding lady at the beginning who appears to be hanging out in a courtroom, which probably means she's a lawyer or smart or something.

I saw this a few days ago.

In order for such a reaction to be spontaneous, you would have to have a net positive entropy. The entropy is not measured in living organisms because they are so complex and the entropy would be so high. Provided a sufficient amount of energy in the surroundings, such a reaction could occur. The thing is though -- such situations rarely occur -- why peanut butter does not evolve. Not to mention that peanut butter is not living -- it is dead. Evolution in living organisms is something entirely different: selection of the fittest.
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

. . . peanut butter is not living -- it is dead. Evolution in living organisms is something entirely different: selection of the fittest.

That being true, we cannot speak of the "evolution of life." What shall we call it, simply the "origin of life?" To me, a spontaneous origin sounds more difficult to prove than an evolution.

Anyone for panspermia?

post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

That being true, we cannot speak of the "evolution of life." What shall we call it, simply the "origin of life?" To me, a spontaneous origin sounds more difficult to prove than an evolution.

Anyone for panspermia?

How do we know if peanut butter doesn't have early stages of life in it?

The video shows a spoiled jar. But that isn't even close to what we suspect early life would look like. I contend that EVERY jar of peanut butter has early forms of life in it, and you can't prove otherwise.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #44 of 47
lifeforms... you tiny little lifeforms... you precious little lifeforms... where are you?

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #45 of 47
Mmm, Star Trek references...

No comments about this image is from the wrong ST movie.
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Not to mention that peanut butter is not living -- it is dead. Evolution in living organisms is something entirely different: selection of the fittest.

Mold does not grow on "dead" biochemistry.
If it doesn't you got a jar of substitute peanut butter synthesized from crude. That's dead.
Peanuts hold all the genetic information to grow more peanuts, how is this dead?
Plants are maybe an even more convincing example of "selection of the fittest". Plant "evolution" only takes 1 generation. Bacteria can "evolve" in hours.
The spores that become the mold are part of the jar fauna. Indeed one can only marvel as to what kind of amazing microcosm a jar of peanut butter contains. I would guess there are a few 100 species involved but I admit that I am not a biologist.
post #47 of 47
Mutant Duck Outwits God Squad

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/6520965.stm

The information doth increase

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Peanut Butter, the atheists nightmare!