or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Your favourite country?

Your favourite country?

post #1 of 46
OK, if you could live anywhere in the world, apart from the place you live in now, where would you live? This is really random but these kind of conversations always come up with some interesting answers.

Personally, I would love to live in Iceland. The country is beautiful, the language is beautiful, the culturebeautiful. Although Im not sure Id like the food (petrified whale shark, anyone?). Plus its a really small country with only 300,000 inhabitants. Of coursethatd be in the summers.

In the winters, I would like to have my house in the mountains of California. Custom build, of course.

How about you?
post #2 of 46
I'll bite (but not into the whale shark!).

Agreed on the two homes bit... summers can get really hot in places where winter is gorgeous, and winter can get too cold in places where summer is great.

Summer house in Sweden; the food is great, the language is great, the people are great, the girls are great (don't tell my wife I said that), the cars are great, the music is great... you get the picture.

Winter house on Yakushima island, Japan. There are hot springs along the beach, where waves will gently crash over you as you relax. There is a moutain inland that is covered by 1000-year old trees, and the people are great. Great camping, great hiking, great girls, great nature, great baths, great people... again, you get the picture.

However, my ultimate dream home would be a 45-foot yacht, such as this:
http://www.huntermarine.com/Images/M...C/45CCHead.jpg

That way, I could roam the world at will, discovering the wealth of wonderfulness around the globe. I have had this dream since I was a kid, and have spent many long hours plotting courses, studying countries, playing with languages. Even if the dream dosn't come true, it will still have imapcted my life greatly from the abundance of things I have learned just researching the possibility.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #3 of 46
If I do get stuck on land, I will build my own house to my own design, but that is for another thread.

post #4 of 46
I would love to live in Montréal. That way I could sill easily travel to visit my family in the U.S. Other than that, I would like to live in France. I despise the English language.
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I would love to live in Montréal. That way I could sill easily travel to visit my family in the U.S. Other than that, I would like to live in France. I despise the English language.

Mais oui, mon amis. Vous parlez français?
post #6 of 46
Summer and autumn in London, Winter and Spring in Paris or Rome.
post #7 of 46
Spring/Summers in Victoria, BC, Canada.
Fall/Winters (well, Summers really since it is in the other hemisphere) in Byron Bay, Australia.

and a condo in Manhattan.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #8 of 46
Mars.
Cat: the other white meat
post #9 of 46
I think I'd like to live in either Australia or Italy.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #10 of 46
Australia is a good shout: there's not very much objectionable about Australia, although I'd say that's largely due to their favorably isolated geography. I spent some time in Australia about ten years ago, and I can't say I'd mind going back.

On another note. . .

Recently I was with some friends and we went around the table asking each other where they'd like to live most, much as the case with this thread, with the additional stipulation that money and such other details weren't issues. Half joking, I said "Slovakia," but the more I think about it, the more appealing it is. Slovakia is more or less a clean slate right now, and if you have drive and some luck, you could make a lot of difference in Slovakia. That appeals to me.
post #11 of 46
Tijuana, Mexico.

The donkeys are great. The girls are great. The shows are great.

You get the picture.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #12 of 46
Djibouti?

Yes I did.
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

OK, if you could live anywhere in the world, apart from the place you live in now, where would you live? This is really random but these kind of conversations always come up with some interesting answers.

Personally, I would love to live in Iceland. The country is beautiful, the language is beautiful, the culturebeautiful. Although Im not sure Id like the food (petrified whale shark, anyone?). Plus its a really small country with only 300,000 inhabitants. Of coursethatd be in the summers.

In the winters, I would like to have my house in the mountains of California. Custom build, of course.

How about you?

As someone who lives in California, you do realize you'd be eligible to enjoy our mandatory semi-annual wildfires. I'd rather stay where I am. Southern California.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 46
France
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

France

I think I'd least like to live there. Germany is somewhat appealing. Perhaps even Spain. But France? Not for me, thanks.
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I think I'd least like to live there. Germany is somewhat appealing. Perhaps even Spain. But France? Not for me, thanks.

At least in the Basque region, France is beautiful and Spain is a pit. I would much rather live in France than Spain (at least judging by that one little corner of both countries).
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #17 of 46
Quote:

I think they all have their appeal. Personally, I like Germany the best. I'm convinced, though, that there's something built into the white genome that makes European geography extremely appealing to us. That, and the high lattitude means less piercing sunshine. I think I've nearly burned out my retinas from three years in Florida. Now I have to go float around on some U-boats for a while until they clear up.
post #18 of 46
I think my favorite country is Switzerland... It's hard to explain, but I think it is the best b/c it has so many different characteristics. I'd probably move to switzerland, even though i can't speak French/German... I like Switzerland b/c every time I go, it's always so pretty...and cool.
post #19 of 46
Quote:

Mais oui, mon amis. Vous parlez français?

Je parle un peu le français.
post #20 of 46
Quote:

...apart from the place you live in now...

I quoted that because it's just hard to beat the current country. Comments seem to be leaning toward geography rather than politics, and the USA has everything... mountans, beaches, prairies, forests, cold, hot, big cities, empty country... see it all without ever leaving "home".

But, basing this only on places I've actually been to, I'd be willing to move to Australia... Somewhere just south of Cairns perhaps. Townsville was nice. While tropical, the summers still aren't too oppressive.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Je parle un peu le français.

Haha my thoughts exactly.
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHope theWorld View Post

I think my favorite country is Switzerland... It's hard to explain, but I think it is the best b/c it has so many different characteristics. I'd probably move to switzerland, even though i can't speak French/German... I like Switzerland b/c every time I go, it's always so pretty...and cool.

Good choice

I live in Switzerland and I'm quite happy here. Expensive as hell, but otherwise very nice. Zurich is quite international (at least for Swiss standards), so you'll be OK without German.

Places where I would live include the SF Bay Area, Barcelona and Vienna. And Montpelier, VT. I have never been to Asia or South America, so I probably missed a lot of interesting places.
post #23 of 46
Turkey has to be in with a shout. Istanbul is one of my favourite cities along with NYC.

Personally I wouldn't live there for a few reasons but it has to be on the shortlist - without doubt it will be a major European city in 10 - 20 years and the chances of making some big money there right now are massive.

If politics is out of the equation (and I guess it should be) you have to say it comes down to the US West Coast, Tuscany or Provence/Lot maybe in France.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Townsville was nice.

It may be nice, but somewhat unoriginally named.
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Turkey has to be in with a shout. Istanbul is one of my favourite cities along with NYC.

Personally I wouldn't live there for a few reasons but it has to be on the shortlist - without doubt it will be a major European city in 10 - 20 years and the chances of making some big money there right now are massive.

If politics is out of the equation (and I guess it should be) you have to say it comes down to the US West Coast, Tuscany or Provence/Lot maybe in France.

My father and his wife went to Turkey as part of a cruise last year. They said Istanbul was incredible.
post #26 of 46
Quote:

My father and his wife went to Turkey as part of a cruise last year. They said Istanbul was incredible.

Yes , it has the perfect blend of history and modernity....the US are pumping a hell of a lot of money into it right now to make it a kind of Dubai of Europe and a buffer between east/west in the WOT.

Trump is building a marina there I hear....
post #27 of 46
Quote:

It may be nice, but somewhat unoriginally named.

... my kids kept looking for the Power Puff Girls...
post #28 of 46
Quote:

I'm heading there this summer for my sister's wedding (part 2 of 2). Part one is tomorrow! Since my soon-to-be brother in law is Turkish, they have to go and have weddings all over the world.
post #29 of 46
I think i like to live in Australia, because i like animals, i want to see kangaroo.

post #30 of 46
Quote:

Yes , it has the perfect blend of history and modernity....the US are pumping a hell of a lot of money into it right now to make it a kind of Dubai of Europe and a buffer between east/west in the WOT.

If I can ever afford the boat I mentioned above (not likely on a teacher's salary), maybe I'll have enough left over to afford to visit good old Donald in turkey! Can just imagine the docking fees he would charge.

post #31 of 46
Anyone here live in Christchurch NZ? What is it like?

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #32 of 46
If money were no object I'd retire in Switzerland.

Of course I'd have to have a winter place somewhere tropical... too bad most tropical nations have recurring political problems...

For working and living, you really can't beat HK unless you need a lot of space. Low taxes, no sales tax or GST (yet), convenience (no need to own a car), girls... did I say girls? Yeah, girls...
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

too bad most tropical nations have recurring political problems...

Costa Rica...

Also, Hong Kong is only good for men, women get groped on the public transit constantly.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #34 of 46
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segovius

I have heard the same thing about Istambul. I have a couple of good friends who have travelled extensively(try 80 countries) and when asked what their favourite city is they say it's Istambul.

Let me guess....Trump Marina?

I wouldn't mind living in Montecito, CA (of course, I'm millions of dollars short for that). I think mid to northern CA is gorgeous. The rest of the time it would have to be Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978

Costa Rica...

Costa Rica is nice and becoming more and more Americanized. My family owns coffee plantations in neighbor El Salvador(beautiful before the war) so I've been to CR a few times.

By the way. I've been to San Sebastian, Spain and that part of the Basque country is awesome.
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Costa Rica...

Also, Hong Kong is only good for men, women get groped on the public transit constantly.

Actually, I think you're confusing it with Japan. I've never ever heard that it's a problem here. About 1 or 2 cases make the news per year, and there is a significant public awareness campaign.

My dad did have his wallet lifted in 1998 though.
post #36 of 46
Hong Kong is a nice place where women dodn't get groped but wallets go missing and you have to be careful avoid people spitting. Also watch out for the street hawkers who will sell you, the unknowing tourist, a T-shirt for 25 HKD and turn out and sell one to the next guy for 8 HKD. Otherwise it is a great place to visit. Lantau Island is a lovely escape (the campground, the mountains, the fort) and Victoria Peak is spectacular.

Too bad anybody going there now doesn't get the landing from hell (the old airport demanded hair-raising paths right over buildings) nor can they visit the incredible Chungking Mansion. That was worth the visit all unto itself!

Japan is where girls get groped on trains; the trains are so overpacked that it is hard not to be smashed onto someone.

post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Actually, I think you're confusing it with Japan.

A female relative of mine complained about the groping when she lived in Hong Kong for a year, but maybe Japan was even worse.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #38 of 46
Montréal and/or..a deserted island. Maybe even Burlington, VT.

Public transit...it's a good education.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by durin oakenskin View Post

Good choice

I live in Switzerland and I'm quite happy here. Expensive as hell...

You should try the U.K., especially London for that. I don't find Switzerland expensive, more like (very) good value for many.

And in answer to the original question, China. Because that's where the future lies and the Chinese I have met, I rather like.

- T. I.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) / 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 500GB SSD
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) / 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 500GB SSD
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Installer View Post

You should try the U.K., especially London for that. I don't find Switzerland expensive, more like (very) good value for many.

And in answer to the original question, China. Because that's where the future lies and the Chinese I have met, I rather like.

- T. I.

OMG the old AI hands are coming out of the woodwork lately.

Good to see you, T.I. We've missed you.

I think the cost of housing/rent and transportation tips the scales in London. But for basic necessities like food and clothing, CH is more expensive, is it not?

So if you have a cheap place to stay and can manage on foot/bicycle/the Tube, London's not really that bad...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Your favourite country?