or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Rogers casts doubts on iPhone for Canada

Rogers casts doubts on iPhone for Canada

post #1 of 58
Rogers Wireless Inc., the only wireless service provider in Canada with a network suited to meld with Apple Inc.'s upcoming iPhone handset, is now dismissing the notion that it would sell the hotly anticipated device as "speculation."

"We haven't announced whether we will carry the iPhone," Odette Coleman,Â*manager of corporate communications for Rogers Wireless, said in an e-mail to CBC News Online. "Everything in the media has been speculations to this point."

The statement strongly contradicts an e-mail sent out by Rogers to subscribers following the unveiling of iPhone back in January. In that communication, the carrier reportedly said that it was working with Apple to launch the device in Canada "as soon as possible."

Since iPhone operates on the GSM wireless technology standard, Rogers would be the only carrier in Canada suited to offer the device to its customers, as all other providers in the country use the CDMA standard.

"The only fact is that we are the only GSM carrier in Canada," added Coleman. "That's the only fact."

Ronald Gruia, an analyst with market research firm Frost & Sullivan in Toronto, said Rogers' apparent about-face may not just represent an attempt by the carrier to protect its roll-out plans. He said costs and considerations for adding a new phone to its lineup, including business and technical factors,Â*may have offered compelling reasons for it not to carry the device.

For Rogers, major considerations likely includeÂ*the fact that it's upgrading to a next-generation or 3G networkÂ*and the possibility that itsÂ*current contractsÂ*with cellphone manufacturers still have not yet run their course, Gruia speculated.

"Rogers may waitÂ*to see how well it does in the U.S.," he said. "If this thing really takes off and has tremendous uptake in the U.S., maybe we'll see it here in time for Christmas."

At the same time, however, the analyst noted that the latter is an unlikely situation given the device's high retail pricing of $499 and $599. Most sales forecasts have Apple selling only about 10 million units through 2008, which would represent about one per cent of the projected global market.

Those kinds of figures don't tell a wireless carrier that they must offer any device, Gruia told CBC, adding that doesn't even factor in the costs associated with training a sales force, marketing and servicing the handsets.

There's also the possibility, the analyst added, that Rogers may have a ways to go before existing contracts for large-volume sales ofÂ*popular phones such as Motorola's RAZR and Sony-Ericsson's W810 are up, in which case it may note be inclined to offer the competing iPhone device.

In the meantime, some loyal Apple enthusiast have reportedly signed on with U.S. carriers so that come June, they can still get an iPhone without worrying about a specific Canadian provider.

"That will continue," said Gruia
post #2 of 58
Can you hear me now ... eh?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #3 of 58
I'm amazed at the whackjob stories they'll construct around two simple statements. The simple and historical explanation is that Rogers got excited, said something they shouldn't have, and are now being non-commital. The corporate drama behind the scenes is anyone's guess and likely largely irrelevant.
post #4 of 58
They have phones in Canada?
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #5 of 58
Of course, ninny! You didn't think they were invented in the USA did you????
Learn from the mistakes of others, you
won't live long enough to make them
ALL yourself!
ALL yourself!
post #6 of 58
Wow, Rogers sucks. I am actually on a Rogers plan and from Canada. I hate ROGERS, they are gay. We were getting hyped up about the iPhone here too.
post #7 of 58
Phone companies in the US and Canada suck.

Apple should sell the iPhone unlocked and make phone companies compete for customer connections.
post #8 of 58

Still patiently waiting for iTunes TV shows and movies up here in Canada so I guess I can wait another couple years for the iPhone.
post #9 of 58
"Everything in the media has been speculations to this point."

That is BULLSHIT - they fucking said they were going to carry the fucking phone.
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Batman View Post

Of course, ninny! You didn't think they were invented in the USA did you????

Yes. Granted Bell wasn't alone. Elisha Gray was right there.
post #11 of 58
Speculation my ass. You knew you were gonna get it, then you probably f-ed it up.

The only reason this is happening is probably because rogers doesn't want to amend their insane rules and data plans to offer users a fair experience, which would be necessary to do given the cost of the iphone.
If the iphone where released in canada at it's current price with rogers current pricing structure only the extreme diehards would get it and it wouldn't be profitable. I consider myself a diehard and I still wouldn't get it.
So rogers probably got all pissy, which in turn made apple mad. The only reason its going so smooth in the US is because AT&T actually wants to work with apple to create a customer experience, whereas rogers just want to charge up the ass and then make a billion more stipulations to bleed people dry.

Current state of Rogers + current price of iPhone = an extremely violent raping.
It's like watching a snuff film and knowing it's real, you just wanna throw up.

Go ***k yourself rogers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:

post #12 of 58
You Canadians are so cute when you're mad.
post #13 of 58
Actually, when the iPhone was first announced I was sure that Rogers would not offer it as the iPhone has WiFi and Rogers refuses to offer phones like this so they can continue to gouge us with exorbitant data rates. I have a feeling that they tried to push Apple to cripple this function, and Apple refused. Hence the about-face.
post #14 of 58
Rogers was obviously weaseling its way out of a definite answer here. They didn't say they wouldn't have the iPhone (not even hinting at a delay), but they didn't commit to it either.

In short: they don't want to get people's hopes up too far in advance.

But yes, Rogers desperately needs to rethink its data plans. They want to offer HSDPA but their phone plans are completely backwards: it only costs you $5-10 more to chew up massive bandwidth on video calls, but yet you can pay upwards of $100 a month for 250MB of general data.

It's $20 US for unlimited data on AT&T, Rogers! Do try to keep up.
post #15 of 58
Sigh...
20" Intel iMac - Airport eXtream N - 16gb Black iPhone - Apple TV
20" Intel iMac - Airport eXtream N - 16gb Black iPhone - Apple TV
post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

You Canadians are so cute when you're mad.

Don't even start you little shit.
post #17 of 58
What the hell? Canadians are registering at AppleInsider expressly to defend the homeland?

This could get ugly. AI was practically founded on random Canada bashing.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Speculation my ass. You knew you were gonna get it, then you probably f-ed it up.

The only reason this is happening is probably because rogers doesn't want to amend their insane rules and data plans to offer users a fair experience, which would be necessary to do given the cost of the iphone.
If the iphone where released in canada at it's current price with rogers current pricing structure only the extreme diehards would get it and it wouldn't be profitable. I consider myself a diehard and I still wouldn't get it.
So rogers probably got all pissy, which in turn made apple mad. The only reason its going so smooth in the US is because AT&T actually wants to work with apple to create a customer experience, whereas rogers just want to charge up the ass and then make a billion more stipulations to bleed people dry.

Current state of Rogers + current price of iPhone = an extremely violent raping.
It's like watching a snuff film and knowing it's real, you just wanna throw up.

Go ***k yourself rogers.

Hmm.. Lotsa truth in there.
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Phone companies in the US and Canada suck.

Apple should sell the iPhone unlocked and make phone companies compete for customer connections.

agreed
post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What the hell? Canadians are registering at AppleInsider expressly to defend the homeland?

And I thought Pamela Anderson was a feisty Canadian...
post #21 of 58
Quote:

Why bash Canada? Canada, just like America, was founded after years of fighting other Europeans and destroying native inhabitance by the British. As was New Zealand and Australia. We are all basically the same culture and people with a wonderful mix of immigrants. Just get along OK
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #22 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why bash Canada? Canada, just like America, was founded after years of fighting other Europeans and destroying native inhabitance by the British. As was New Zealand and Australia. We are all basically the same culture and people with a wonderful mix of immigrants. Just get along OK

Not around these parts. The crimes of the our implacably evil neighbors to the north are well know. Don't think we're fooled by the "friendly" routine. We will be watching you closely.
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet View Post

The simple and historical explanation is that Rogers got excited, said something they shouldn't have, and are now being non-commital.

While that's likely the case, the fact that Microsoft Corp. invested $600 Million in shares of Rogers Communications in July 1999, representing 9% of Rogers' equity shouldn't be ignored. At the time Rogers said it would use Microsoft software for interactive TV services, beginning in 2000 (which, as we know, never went anywhere). Ever since that time, Rogers has been a staunch supporter of all things M$, and has had little interest in Mac users.

Those of us who see the dark side of this announcement might think M$ was exerting undue influence on Rogers, leading to the waning of Rogers' initial enthusiasm for the iPhone.
post #24 of 58
Quote:

Not around these parts. The crimes of the our implacably evil neighbors to the north are well know. Don't think we're fooled by the "friendly" routine. We will be watching you closely.

Why watch me I am in Florida!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #25 of 58
Isn't the planned European iPhone supposed to work on CDMA?
Maybe a Canadian CDMA provider can get the gig and Canadians
can buy a phone like the Euros. (i might be hallucinating, don't
hold it against me)
post #26 of 58
I doubt it. Why would they make it CDMA when Europe's GSM network is so big?
post #27 of 58
Maybe it's just a negotiation tactic.

It probably would have been nicer if there was a North America model that supported CDMA too.
post #28 of 58
Quote:

I doubt it. Why would they make it CDMA when Europe's GSM network is so big?

you are right, i was confoozed
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why watch me I am in Florida!

You're clearly a Canadian lover. Hiding behind America's wang won't protect you.
post #30 of 58
Quote:

The last time the U.S. ticked us off, we invaded and went so far south that we burned down the White House.

Adda, don't make us do that again.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #31 of 58
"Canada invades US! We could not tolerate the insults of random internet poster, say PM Harper"

"Victorious Canada requests hand-over of public enemy Addabox, US denies knowledge"

"Canadian puppet government demands: Bring us Addabox or we bring the Ann Murray music"

"Army of Addabox insurgency said to be growing, Oh for fuck's sake they're fucking Canadians quickly becoming new catch-phrase"

"AOA disrupts Hockey season, vows to fight on"
post #32 of 58
Quote:

"Canada invades US! We could not tolerate the insults of random internet poster, say PM Harper"

"Victorious Canada requests hand-over of public enemy Addabox, US denies knowledge"

"Canadian puppet government demands: Bring us Addabox or we bring the Ann Murray music"

"Army of Addabox insurgency said to be growing, Oh for fuck's sake they're fucking Canadians quickly becoming new catch-phrase"

"AOA disrupts Hockey season, vows to fight on"

Oh you don't want a canadian vs american brawl. Don't start something you can't finish.
The thosand arrows of the Canadian Empire will rain down a upon you and blot out the sun.
Quote:

Quote:

post #33 of 58
Quit trying to take credit for ham and we'll start respecting you.

It ain't Canadian and it sure as hell ain't bacon.
post #34 of 58
Quote:

Quit trying to take credit for ham and we'll start respecting you.

It ain't Canadian and it sure as hell ain't bacon.

Well, we sure don't call it "Canadian bacon" in Canada. It seems to me it's only called that in the states.
post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The last time the U.S. ticked us off, we invaded and went so far south that we burned down the White House.

Adda, don't make us do that again.

Uh, that wasn't you, guys.

In fact, Your masters over the pond were so afraid, after our Civil War, that we would invade, that they gave you your freedom, on just the unspoken threat.

You should be grateful.

Besides, we can blame everything on the French Québécois. They don't think of themselves as Canadian anyway.
post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang View Post

Well, we sure don't call it "Canadian bacon" in Canada. It seems to me it's only called that in the states.

No way!
post #37 of 58
Remember we're Canadian. We never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. And Rogers are the lesser of two evils right now. Bell (pronounced Doucebags in Proper Canadian, are are only alternative, The rest being front companies.) And about Rogers just waiting to financially "screw" That point is so on the money you won't believe it.
Make it idiotproof and they'll just make a
better idiot.
Make it idiotproof and they'll just make a
better idiot.
post #38 of 58
Alright, listen up, I'm going to post this once.

Guybrush, your witty comments are borderline. Knock it off, now. Consider yourself warned.

Secondly, the Canada bashing and the Canadian habit of self loathing is getting old. The rest of you knock it off. This flamey bullshit is ridiculous. Grow up.

Thirdly, I work for the ecommerce team for the biggest electronics retailer in Canada. We're bringing the damn thing in, probably Q4 or Q1 next year. Deal with it.

Turn the tone of this thread around and discuss the topic at hand and not your own idiosyncracies or I'll bring out the moderating stick.
Modding for Great Justice
Modding for Great Justice
post #39 of 58
Darn.... just when it was getting fun!

As a Canadian, I was actually enjoying Guybrush's witty jabs! LOL! (I certainly take no offence to the playful reparte of my American friends)

Back on topic.... (to avoid the wrath of Mr. Grahamw's)....

Quote:
Thirdly, I work for the ecommerce team for the biggest electronics retailer in Canada. We're bringing the damn thing in, probably Q4 or Q1 next year.

Which company would that be?
ALL yourself!
ALL yourself!
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Isn't the planned European iPhone supposed to work on CDMA?
Maybe a Canadian CDMA provider can get the gig and Canadians
can buy a phone like the Euros. (i might be hallucinating, don't
hold it against me)

that's a thing of the past; don't think that CDMA was ever sold in Europe.
europe is 100% GSM
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Rogers casts doubts on iPhone for Canada