or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Report: iPhone could make or break Apple's bank
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Report: iPhone could make or break Apple's bank - Page 3

post #81 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

However, it is unclear whether this deal applies to this iPhone model only or all future models released throughout the duration of the contract. We believe Apple will release new iPhone models quickly (as the company has with the iPod) and these devices will eventually be open to other wireless carriers, possibly even before the Cingular contract expires.

I don't buy that logic as it would completely make the exclusive deal with AT&T pointless if Apple could release a nearly identical iPhone with a different model number. I'd bet money that Cingular gets exclusive rights to the US market for a set amount of years regardless of changes made to the iPhone line.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #82 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't buy that logic as it would completely make the exclusive deal with AT&T pointless if Apple could release a nearly identical iPhone with a different model number. I'd bet money that Cingular gets exclusive rights to the US market for a set amount of years regardless of changes made to the iPhone line.

I'd agree with you, except for the fact that Cingular/ATT has been so very careful to avoid spelling out their agreement with Apple in detail. Seems like if they really did have a five-year lock on all US-released Apple phones, period, no questions asked, they would've announced it by now.

Perhaps at a press conference with a giant banner backdrop that says, "Ha ha Verizon. Neener neener neener."

Methinks that since that hasn't happened, there's some kind of loophole in there somewhere, or perhaps it's not as long a term as ATT wanted to give the impression of it being. Remember, Stevie has a somewhat notorious history of making agreements his way.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #83 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I'd agree with you, except for the fact that Cingular/ATT has been so very careful to avoid spelling out their agreement with Apple in detail. Seems like if they really did have a five-year lock on all US-released Apple phones, period, no questions asked, they would've announced it by now.

Perhaps at a press conference with a giant banner backdrop that says, "Ha ha Verizon. Neener neener neener."

Methinks that since that hasn't happened, there's some kind of loophole in there somewhere, or perhaps it's not as long a term as ATT wanted to give the impression of it being. Remember, Stevie has a somewhat notorious history of making agreements his way.

.

You do make some valid points.

1) Jobs is a shrewd deal maker and the terms always favor Apple more.
2) If I were CIngular and thought I may lose potential customers if they thought they could wait out the 2 years with there current carrier until the offer the iPhone I may let them know.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #84 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You do make some valid points.

1) Jobs is a shrewd deal maker and the terms always favor Apple more.
2) If I were CIngular and thought I may lose potential customers if they thought they could wait out the 2 years with there current carrier until the offer the iPhone I may let them know.

Yeah. Something just smells funny, y'know?

Let's just say I won't be utterly shocked if 2009 rolls around and I can use some form of iPhone on Sprint or Verizon.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #85 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Yeah. Something just smells funny, y'know?

Let's just say I won't be utterly shocked if 2009 rolls around and I can use some form of iPhone on Sprint or Verizon.

.

The only problem with that is that Apple would have to commit to produce CDMA versions as well.

CDMA is more power hungery than GSM, even though I;'m on Sprint.

If you go to PhoneScoop, and compare phones that have both versions, you will find that the CDMA versions have less talk and standby battery life. That could be a problem for a phone with both Bluetooth and WiFi.
post #86 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The only problem with that is that Apple would have to commit to produce CDMA versions as well.

CDMA is more power hungery than GSM, even though I;'m on Sprint.

If you go to PhoneScoop, and compare phones that have both versions, you will find that the CDMA versions have less talk and standby battery life. That could be a problem for a phone with both Bluetooth and WiFi.

Apple will eventually have to make a CDMA version in any case... while GSM is much more popular overseas, CDMA is the most popular technology in the US. And Cingular/ATT, big as it is, is only a bit more than 25% of the US wireless market.

Yep, CDMA is more power-hungry than GSM. But it has distinct advantages over GSM as well (soft handoffs, greater tower capacity, a generally greater tolerance for weak signals, and if all else is equal probably a lower likelihood of dropping the call... despite what Cingular says in its ads). Its limitations re: power consumption haven't prevented phonemakers from coming out with CDMA versions of their phones, even power-hungry 3G phones. The RAZR would be a good example.

And, if you think about it, it's probably helpful that we won't see a CDMA version 'til at least 2009. Gives Apple a chance to fine-tune the power management, and potentially use better battery technology as well (Li-polymer, Silver-zinc, Li-sulphur).

Far as PhoneScoop goes, I used to practically live there. Very good site, though if you check out the carrier forums there, have your BS filter on- a LOT of cellphone salesmen and fanbois hang out there, and of course THEIR carrier and/or favorite phone maker can do no wrong.

I also highly recommend HowardForums, which tends to be slightly more polite.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #87 of 132
PS- I see that Apple already uses lithium-polymer in its notebooks. Hmm...

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #88 of 132
Whats wrong with Lithium Polymer? I thought that type battery was good?

Anyway people what do you think the chances are of more "gestures" being available when the phone is released.
post #89 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Apple will eventually have to make a CDMA version in any case... while GSM is much more popular overseas, CDMA is the most popular technology in the US. And Cingular/ATT, big as it is, is only a bit more than 25% of the US wireless market.

Yep, CDMA is more power-hungry than GSM. But it has distinct advantages over GSM as well (soft handoffs, greater tower capacity, a generally greater tolerance for weak signals, and if all else is equal probably a lower likelihood of dropping the call... despite what Cingular says in its ads). Its limitations re: power consumption haven't prevented phonemakers from coming out with CDMA versions of their phones, even power-hungry 3G phones. The RAZR would be a good example.

And, if you think about it, it's probably helpful that we won't see a CDMA version 'til at least 2009. Gives Apple a chance to fine-tune the power management, and potentially use better battery technology as well (Li-polymer, Silver-zinc, Li-sulphur).

Far as PhoneScoop goes, I used to practically live there. Very good site, though if you check out the carrier forums there, have your BS filter on- a LOT of cellphone salesmen and fanbois hang out there, and of course THEIR carrier and/or favorite phone maker can do no wrong.

I also highly recommend HowardForums, which tends to be slightly more polite.

.

I prefer CDMA to GSM. I'm just trying to find a reason why Apple may not choose to come out with one. The reason is that there has already been criticism of the stated talk time, and the fact that a standby time hasn't even been given. The fact that both would be even shorter with CDMA could be a stumbling block. Otherwise, I think CDMA is superior to GSM in most every way. The other issues are less tangible to most folks though. Dropped calls are more likely to be blamed on the carrier than on the method of transmission.

I don't really hang out at the forums. But the site itself is almost a requirement if you need phone info. I like the fact that they link to the FCC's test reports. I'm hoping that we will see on for the iPhone once the testing is complete.
post #90 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I prefer CDMA to GSM. I'm just trying to find a reason why Apple may not choose to come out with one. The reason is that there has already been criticism of the stated talk time, and the fact that a standby time hasn't even been given. The fact that both would be even shorter with CDMA could be a stumbling block. Otherwise, I think CDMA is superior to GSM in most every way. The other issues are less tangible to most folks though. Dropped calls are more likely to be blamed on the carrier than on the method of transmission.

How much of the battery's life is due to the phone radio, as in, how much would it really change?

Standby time is not really a problem for my CDMA phone, I never turn it off, it never dies and I only charge it once a week. The phone's battery is also three years old, but for some reason, the effective talk time is reduced a lot, but the standby time hasn't changed much.
post #91 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How much of the battery's life is due to the phone radio, as in, how much would it really change?

Standby time is not really a problem for my CDMA phone, I never turn it off, it never dies and I only charge it once a week. The phone's battery is also three years old, but for some reason, the effective talk time is reduced a lot, but the standby time hasn't changed much.

Go to Phonescoop and check out the phones that have both models you will see the difference. The site allows you to pick models and make direct comparisons, so it's easy.

The problem is that we are not talking about basic phones here. PDA phones already make heavier demands on the battery than do regular phones. Add the wireless extras, and battery life sucks. I use my Treo for many things, and so I plug it into the charger every night. My old color Palm IIIC could easily go for a week without charging, but not any of my PDA phone versions.
post #92 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How much of the battery's life is due to the phone radio, as in, how much would it really change?

Standby time is not really a problem for my CDMA phone, I never turn it off, it never dies and I only charge it once a week. The phone's battery is also three years old, but for some reason, the effective talk time is reduced a lot, but the standby time hasn't changed much.

You only charge it once a week? May i ask what phone you use?
post #93 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

You only charge it once a week? May i ask what phone you use?

Sanyo SCP 4900.
post #94 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Whats wrong with Lithium Polymer? I thought that type battery was good?

Anyway people what do you think the chances are of more "gestures" being available when the phone is released.

I too am under the mpression that Li-Poly is better than Li-Ion. I've read that it has about 10-12% longer output for the same size battery and it can be formed into more irregular shapes so the battery can be designed around the phone instead of the other way around.

Some info on this wold be great.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #95 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I too am under the mpression that Li-Poly is better than Li-Ion. I've read that it has about 10-12% longer output for the same size battery and it can be formed into more irregular shapes so the battery can be designed around the phone instead of the other way around.

Some info on this wold be great.

I remember differently, that Lithium Polymer is more flexible with respect to shape, but doesn't store as much charge per weight. I don't remember the relative weight differences though, maybe LiPoly is allows a smaller but heavier battery for the unit charge.
post #96 of 132
In all seriousness does it really matter. You know what he iphone looks like so whats the point in duscussing the possible shape of the phone in respect to the battery. Li Po is better than Li ion in terns of usage. All major companies use Li Po these days in all their new products. I think all Nokia n ranges do as do SE's.

Although what concerns me is that no standby time was ever given for the iphone only a talk(usage) time. This either means its very poor or Apple are trying to make it better.
post #97 of 132
Another tie-up dares to challenge AAPL... Yahoo and Sandisk.

Hope that helps my YHOO stock.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #98 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I prefer CDMA to GSM. I'm just trying to find a reason why Apple may not choose to come out with one. The reason is that there has already been criticism of the stated talk time, and the fact that a standby time hasn't even been given. The fact that both would be even shorter with CDMA could be a stumbling block.

You may be overthinking it, Mel. \

Remember, Cingular/ATT wasn't the first carrier Apple offered the iPhone to... Verizon was. Which would've necessitated a CDMA iPhone. I don't think Apple would've entered into serious negotiations with Verizon unless they could deliver a CDMA iPhone that would be well-received by the market, and part of that includes having acceptable talk and standby times (even on the GSM iPhone, talk time was mentioned during the Stevenote).

In fact, the above makes me wonder... were the very first iPhone prototypes actually CDMA then? They would've had to show Verizon something, I think. Hmm...

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #99 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

You may be overthinking it, Mel. \

Remember, Cingular/ATT wasn't the first carrier Apple offered the iPhone to... Verizon was. Which would've necessitated a CDMA iPhone. I don't think Apple would've entered into serious negotiations with Verizon unless they could deliver a CDMA iPhone that would be well-received by the market, and part of that includes having acceptable talk and standby times (even on the GSM iPhone, talk time was mentioned during the Stevenote).

In fact, the above makes me wonder... were the very first iPhone prototypes actually CDMA then? They would've had to show Verizon something, I think. Hmm...

I wonder if Apple actually seriously considered a CDMA phone.
  1. Even if Apple chose CDMA in the US, they would have to chose GSM outside North America.
  2. Wanting to only get in bed with AT&T means that they can work with only one company and only one phone build in the US. Less time and money spent working out the logistics of the creating new interoperability between hardware and network services.
  3. if I were in Jobs position I'd start negotiations will all the major competitors of the company I really wanted to pair with in order to strengthen my bargaining position.
  4. Verizon's remarks about the iPhone had a bit of a "sour grapes" rings to me.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #100 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

Even if Apple chose CDMA in the US, they would have to chose GSM outside North America.

Which really isn't a big deal. CDMA technology is mature, inexpensive, and well understood. It's not difficult at all to make a phone in both CDMA and GSM 'flavors'... the RAZR is, for example.

Quote:
1. Wanting to only get in bed with AT&T means that they can work with only one company and only one phone build in the US. Less time and money spent working out the logistics of the creating new interoperability between hardware and network services.

Again, it's not really a large hurdle. Motorola doesn't seem to have any problem cranking out both GSM and CDMA RAZRs for the US market, in fact, they're happy to, since the US market is split almost 50-50 between CDMA and GSM (with CDMA being a bit ahead) and doing so effectively doubles their revenues here.

At some point, Apple will have to make a CDMA iPhone if they really truly want to cash in on the US market. Cingular/ATT is only a little more than 25% of the US market... would not Apple want to eventually sell to the entire market? This is one of the things that makes me think that the exclusivity clause of the Apple-ATT contract either has loopholes for new models or is of a shorter duration than ATT is giving the impression of it being.

Quote:
2. If I were in Jobs position I'd start negotiations will all the major competitors of the company I really wanted to pair with in order to strengthen my bargaining position.

Perhaps, but here's the thing... what if Verizon had said "Yes."??? What does Steve say then? "Um... err... just kidding. Heh."

I think it's more realistic to believe that Jobs had a Plan A (Verizon, whom he approached first) and a Plan B (ATT/Cingular), and he was only too happy to play them off against one another in order to secure better terms for Apple. But he was likely prepared to go with either. If you think about it, these two carriers were the only realistic partners for Apple in the US market, what with the only other potentials being T-Mobile (too small) and Sprint-Nextel (going through merger hell, generally underperforming, and in the midst of a not-fun major technology migration from iDEN to CDMA for its Nextel customers).

Basically, Jobs shopped the iPhone to 'everyone who made sense' in the US. Since the technological hurdles of making both a CDMA and a GSM version aren't high, it's logical to assume that he was willing to go with whomever came closer to meeting his terms, i.e. whomever needed the iPhone more. That was ATT.

Quote:
3. Verizon's remarks about the iPhone had a bit of a "sour grapes" rings to me.

Of course. Jobs gave them a shot at it, but on terms that Verizon wasn't willing to agree to, and now its in the hands of Verizon's #1 competitor, who's going to club them over the head with it mercilessly until and unless Verizon gets their own version, which even in a best case scenario won't be for awhile.

They're also pissed because they're used to a world in which the carriers have always told the phonemakers what they want and the phonemakers then jump to it (even majors like Nokia and Motorola). The carriers had the power, the control. Apple went directly in the face of that, and Verizon was just not used to it. I can only imagine what the negotiations must've been like:


You want WHAT again, Steve?


They probably ain't laughing now.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #101 of 132
Has anyone seen this? 40 mins battery life, what a rubbish phone this will turn out to be if thats true.

http://theappleblog.com/2007/04/04/d...er-40-minutes/

First mistake was indeed having a fixed battery.
post #102 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

That's Nancy Fohring's opinion. Nothing more. And you were comletely flippant in your original position as well. So there's plenty of 'tude to go around. Early adopters a "whack"?

I've been around here a helluva lot longer than you have. You better grow a thicker skin if you want to last.

Noob. Typical American trying to talk technology. No wonder you lot get crap majority of the time when it comes to phones lol.

Is there even HSDPA yet in the states? lol
post #103 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Has anyone seen this? 40 mins battery life, what a rubbish phone this will turn out to be if thats true.

(link removed)

First mistake was indeed having a fixed battery.

First, please don't link to information where Dvorak was clearly in the "supply chain" of information.

Second, I agree, a fixed battery goes against a decade or so of tradition with little justification.
post #104 of 132
Of course, everyone remembers that Apple has a lot of cash in the bank. They just might start to buy up wireless in the same way that Deutsche Telecom (T-Mobile) did in the US and keep all the profits at Apple. It could happen... slowly I turn...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #105 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

You may be overthinking it, Mel. \

Gee, when haven't I been accused of that?

Actually, I did know about that. And it's very strange, wouldn't you say? But there could be more to the story than the one we've heard from Verison.

Quote:
Remember, Cingular/ATT wasn't the first carrier Apple offered the iPhone to... Verizon was. Which would've necessitated a CDMA iPhone. I don't think Apple would've entered into serious negotiations with Verizon unless they could deliver a CDMA iPhone that would be well-received by the market, and part of that includes having acceptable talk and standby times (even on the GSM iPhone, talk time was mentioned during the Stevenote).

In fact, the above makes me wonder... were the very first iPhone prototypes actually CDMA then? They would've had to show Verizon something, I think. Hmm...

.
post #106 of 132
[QUOTE=TBaggins;1067271]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Even if Apple chose CDMA in the US, they would have to chose GSM outside North America.[/ quote]
Which really isn't a big deal. CDMA technology is mature, inexpensive, and well understood. It's not difficult at all to make a phone in both CDMA and GSM 'flavors'... the RAZR is, for example.


Again, it's not really a large hurdle. Motorola doesn't seem to have any problem cranking out both GSM and CDMA RAZRs for the US market, in fact, they're happy to, since the US market is split almost 50-50 between CDMA and GSM (with CDMA being a bit ahead) and doing so effectively doubles their revenues here.

At some point, Apple will have to make a CDMA iPhone if they really truly want to cash in on the US market. Cingular/ATT is only a little more than 25% of the US market... would not Apple want to eventually sell to the entire market? This is one of the things that makes me think that the exclusivity clause of the Apple-ATT contract either has loopholes for new models or is of a shorter duration than ATT is giving the impression of it being.


Perhaps, but here's the thing... what if Verizon had said "Yes."??? What does Steve say then? "Um... err... just kidding. Heh."

I think it's more realistic to believe that Jobs had a Plan A (Verizon, whom he approached first) and a Plan B (ATT/Cingular), and he was only too happy to play them off against one another in order to secure better terms for Apple. But he was likely prepared to go with either. If you think about it, these two carriers were the only realistic partners for Apple in the US market, what with the only other potentials being T-Mobile (too small) and Sprint-Nextel (going through merger hell, generally underperforming, and in the midst of a not-fun major technology migration from iDEN to CDMA for its Nextel customers).

Basically, Jobs shopped the iPhone to 'everyone who made sense' in the US. Since the technological hurdles of making both a CDMA and a GSM version aren't high, it's logical to assume that he was willing to go with whomever came closer to meeting his terms, i.e. whomever needed the iPhone more. That was ATT.


Of course. Jobs gave them a shot at it, but on terms that Verizon wasn't willing to agree to, and now its in the hands of Verizon's #1 competitor, who's going to club them over the head with it mercilessly until and unless Verizon gets their own version, which even in a best case scenario won't be for awhile.

They're also pissed because they're used to a world in which the carriers have always told the phonemakers what they want and the phonemakers then jump to it (even majors like Nokia and Motorola). The carriers had the power, the control. Apple went directly in the face of that, and Verizon was just not used to it. I can only imagine what the negotiations must've been like.


You want WANT again, Steve?

They probably ain't laughing now.

.

Of course, it could just of easily been the other way around. Cingular/ATT could have been plan "A", and Verison been plan "B".

If Cingular didn't play ball, they could have gone with Verison, but as Cingular did, they didn't have to.

It's also possible that once Cingular said yes, and with the required exclusivity given, they then COULDN'T have gone to Verison as well. It could be that Apple simply stopped serious negotiations, and Verison broke it off.

I've seen this tactic in business before. You don't always want to be seen as the one breaking off negotiations. This way you can always go back later and say; "We wanted to play ball, but you guys weren't interested.".
post #107 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

First, please don't link to information where Dvorak was clearly in the "supply chain" of information.

Second, I agree, a fixed battery goes against a decade or so of tradition with little justification.

Why do people hate this Dvorak so much? Is it becasue hes posting negative comments about the iphone?

What if they turn out to be true?>
post #108 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Has anyone seen this? 40 mins battery life, what a rubbish phone this will turn out to be if thats true.

http://theappleblog.com/2007/04/04/d...er-40-minutes/

First mistake was indeed having a fixed battery.

I also don't feel compoftable with the source. I find it hard to believe that at this stage of manufacture that this could occur.

When we design a product, we know pretty much what the power consumption each of the components requires. We can fairly easily calculate the total power consumption of the device, with a certain percentage of error. That error could be 25%, even possibly, a bit more. If so, we go back and check to see that everything meets spec. If there is a design problem causing it, we can fix that.

But if this were true, then it would mean that the spec is off by 400%, an impossible number.

The only way that could happen is if the batteries themselves had some problem with self discharge, or a major problem existed in the design, which just doesn't seem to be possible now.
post #109 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Why do people hate this Dvorak so much? Is it becasue hes posting negative comments about the iphone?

What if they turn out to be true?>

Dvorak used to be a Mac user, and wrote for the Mac press. When he went to Windows, he became very nasty, baiting Mac users, as he himself admitted, so that his columns would get hits, and therefore look to be more popular than they are.

It's difficult to take something seriously that he says, when he says it without attribution, as he often, as he himself admits, makes things up.
post #110 of 132
As previously reported on this thread, right from his own own mouth, Dvorak speaks out on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOHzHVF-4Mg
post #111 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Dvorak used to be a Mac user, and wrote for the Mac press. When he went to Windows, he became very nasty, baiting Mac users, as he himself admitted, so that his columns would get hits, and therefore look to be more popular than they are.

It's difficult to take something seriously that he says, when he says it without attribution, as he often, as he himself admits, makes things up.

So you think the comments regarding the iphones battery is completley untrue? For all prospective iphone owners im sure we all hope so.

Then again do you not all find it strange that no standby time was anounced. Just a usage time.

If all companies done that the figures would be misleading. For example the N95 has a talktime of 6 hours yet only a standby time of 220 hours which is poor considering how powerful it is.

With a screen of the iphones size and running os x i wouldnt rule out a stand by time of less than 200 hours which is quite frankly embarrasing. Its using a li ion battery so its not going to be great with a screen that size. My prediction for standby - 175 hours.

Apples standby times for ipods are always way of the mark which is even more worrying.
post #112 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

So you think the comments regarding the iphones battery is completley untrue? For all prospective iphone owners im sure we all hope so.

Then again do you not all find it strange that no standby time was anounced. Just a usage time.

If all companies done that the figures would be misleading. For example the N95 has a talktime of 6 hours yet only a standby time of 220 hours which is poor considering how powerful it is.

With a screen of the iphones size and running os x i wouldnt rule out a stand by time of less than 200 hours which is quite frankly embarrasing.

I've mentioned the lack of a standby spec before.

But talk specs and standby specs have little to do with each other.

The screen is off during standby, so its size has no relation to that spec. In fact, if the screen blanks out during a phone talk, it would have little effect on that as well.

My Treo 700p has enough talk time for me, and enough standby time. But I often use it for other tasks, reading books, drawing, writing, playing games, and then the phone has to be charged every night.

I'm saying that the 40 minutes sounds like typical Dvorak FUD. Designed to make him the center of attraction, and to get people like you to link to his page.
post #113 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Why do people hate this Dvorak so much? Is it becasue hes posting negative comments about the iphone?

What if they turn out to be true?>

Because he's on record as completely making up almost everything he says in order to troll for hits?

He's the Ann Coulter of technology.
post #114 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

So you think the comments regarding the iphones battery is completley untrue? For all prospective iphone owners im sure we all hope so.

The closest I've seen a Dvorak prediction being right is when everyone else has been predicting it too. He did correctly predict the move to Intel, but every other pundit did too. I think he predicted that Macs would be Itanium-based. I'm skeptical of Dvorak's source for this story as well.

Quote:
With a screen of the iphones size and running os x i wouldnt rule out a stand by time of less than 200 hours which is quite frankly embarrasing. Its using a li ion battery so its not going to be great with a screen that size. My prediction for standby - 175 hours.

Assuming that you don't use the phone, it would operate in continuous standby for over a week without a recharge. I don't think that's going to be that long. Standby time is generally good enough, what's usually more important is actual drain from actual use. With your number, one hour of device use would be equivalent to 28 hours of standby.

Quote:
Apples standby times for ipods are always way of the mark which is even more worrying.

I don't really remember Apple giving a standby time for iPod.
post #115 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Why do people hate this Dvorak so much? Is it becasue hes posting negative comments about the iphone?

No. It's because Dvorak is basically the Bill O'Reilly of tech... he's a blowhard douchebag who says obnoxious things to get attention. Probably to make up for the accuracy rate of his predictions, which is fairly poor.

Quote:
What if they turn out to be true?

LOL. Not too bloody likely, as you Brits like to say.


Dvorak predicted WHAT again?


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #116 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't really remember Apple giving a standby time for iPod.

I've never heard of that either.

But, Apple's estimate for play time is always low.
post #117 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Noob. Typical American trying to talk technology. No wonder you lot get crap majority of the time when it comes to phones lol.

Yes, Americans know nothing about technology. That's why so many large and innovative tech companies are American, and why you're on a forum discussing an American tech company's products.

Oh, and we're getting the iPhone first, aren't we.

Quote:
Is there even HSDPA yet in the states? lol

Uhh... yeah, for at least a couple of years now, though it's only become widespread recently. Cingular/ATT has it deployed in the majority of large US cities now.

And Verizon deployed EVDO widely about a year before Cingular/ATT got on the ball, with Sprint close behind. Americans aren't exactly suffering for lack of 3G, it just isn't deployed in the boondocks, that's all.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #118 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

So you think the comments regarding the iphones battery is completley untrue? For all prospective iphone owners im sure we all hope so.

Why the hell are we even questioning if Dvorak may be right? This is the guy that said Apple will stop makeing OS X and start using Windows!

Apple posted the iPhone Tech Specs on their website back in January.

In the past (more than 4 years ago) Apple's battery life expectancy was often a bit optimistic, but now they tend to slight underestimate the actual longevity. Using their recent history as precedence, I fully expect the iPhone batty specs are accurate.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #119 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Then again do you not all find it strange that no standby time was anounced. Just a usage time.

If all companies done that the figures would be misleading. For example the N95 has a talktime of 6 hours yet only a standby time of 220 hours which is poor considering how powerful it is.

With a screen of the iphones size and running os x i wouldnt rule out a stand by time of less than 200 hours which is quite frankly embarrasing. Its using a li ion battery so its not going to be great with a screen that size. My prediction for standby - 175 hours.

Apples standby times for ipods are always way of the mark which is even more worrying.

Actually, by US standards, under 200 hours standby time isn't that big a deal. In fact, ask an American what the standby time is on his phone, and you'll likely get a shrug.

Why? Because our rate plans offer a LOT more minutes for the money than European carriers do (you're from the UK, correct?). Therefore, Americans use up their battery by actually TALKING on their cellphones, and care a lot more about talk time than standby time. It's a different market than what you're used to.

So, its not really a surprise that Jobs mentioned talk time during his keynote, and not standby time. Because most Americans care a lot more about talk time than standby.

Hope that's helpful in explaining our mad Yank ways.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #120 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Yes, Americans know nothing about technology. That's why so many large and innovative tech companies are American, and why you're on a forum discussing an American tech company's products.

Oh, and we're getting the iPhone first, aren't we.


Uhh... yeah, for at least a couple of years now, though it's only become widespread recently. Cingular/ATT has it deployed in the majority of large US cities now.

And Verizon deployed EVDO widely about a year before Cingular/ATT got on the ball, with Sprint close behind. Americans aren't exactly suffering for lack of 3G, it just isn't deployed in the boondocks, that's all.

.

Not to mention the sheer size and volume of the United States. It's certainly a helluva lot easier and cheaper to redo a network in England or Ireland (which combined I doubt equal the size of Texas).
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Report: iPhone could make or break Apple's bank