or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Superior Pork Product...

Superior Pork Product...

post #1 of 42
I overheard this discussion at work and thought it was quite funny, so I'm going to ask it here...

Which is the superior pork product, bacon or ham?
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #2 of 42
I'm gonna go with ham on this one.
post #3 of 42
Bacon. So sweet, so quick to make, have it crispy or chewey, or a little of both.
post #4 of 42
Pork Rinds
Cat: the other white meat
post #5 of 42
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #6 of 42
Jack Links. This stuff is fantastic.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #7 of 42
This question reminded me of a Simpson's quote:

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.
post #8 of 42
All your suggestions are nice...

But some of you aren't answering the question.

I'm asking, out of bacon or ham, which pork product is superior? (And why?)
post #9 of 42
Dilemma solved: Wrap a ham in bacon!!

Hmm, I live in the South now, kinda surprised I haven't seen it yet already!
They have every other possible pork product known to man down here....
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #10 of 42
bacon is a dime a dozen.

how often do you eat a nice cooked ham?

well-- i like mine cold the day after (thickly sliced on a sandwich-- a little butter)
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I'm asking, out of bacon or ham, which pork product is superior? (And why?)

Depends on what you want. If I get a hamburger, I like bacon on it. I just like the taste of it, and the crunch. By the way, at the market I buy bacon and ham without nitrites, etc.

If you want nutrition and protein, bacon is worthless. Get ham. I like ham and eggs for breakfast, the eggs poached lightly. (So much for my raw food diet.)

post #12 of 42
Snoop, I like where you're going with this.

But it's just based on overall superiority. The nutrition factor gives ham some points, but bacon is hard to beat on taste.

I still need more debate.
post #13 of 42
Bacon offers a super knock-out punch of flavor in a small package.

Bacon can be used to wrap other delicious foods.

You can cook other food like homefries in leftover bacon fat to spread the love around.
post #14 of 42
chitlins
post #15 of 42
[CENTER]

[/CENTER]
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Bacon offers a super knock-out punch of flavor in a small package.

Once I ate about a half pound (pre-cooked) of bacon in one sitting. This was back when I used to run ten miles a day and needed all the calories I could get. But it was difficult. Even eating a quarter pound of bacon can be difficult. Ham on the other hand is a meal.

Anyway, I really like Amish country ham. I suppose that overall I would find ham "better" than bacon, but since I can have both I will continue to have both.
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Once I ate about a half pound (pre-cooked) of bacon in one sitting. This was back when I used to run ten miles a day and needed all the calories I could get. But it was difficult. Even eating a quarter pound of bacon can be difficult. Ham on the other hand is a meal.

Anyway, I really like Amish country ham. I suppose that overall I would find ham "better" than bacon, but since I can have both I will continue to have both.

What would you consider "Amish Country Ham?" the man from Lancaster County, PA said.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #18 of 42
Oh, and I have to go with ham on this one too. I'm not really a fan, but still.
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Jack Links. This stuff is fantastic.

You can buy this shit on Amazon?!
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

What would you consider "Amish Country Ham?" the man from Lancaster County, PA said.

More or less a leg of ham that has been butchered and cured by people in your region. Obviously, there are probably different tweaks, but the ones I've had (all from PA) have all been similar and tasty.

The basic characteristic is that they are salty and not sweet. I'm not a giant fan of sweetened ham.
post #21 of 42
I had bacon wrapped banana a few weeks ago for the first time. Man, was it freaking delicious.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

You can buy this shit on Amazon?!

I don't see why.

You could go to Sheetz (not Wawa) 24/7 for those beef nuggets/jerky.
post #23 of 42

Yummy!
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #24 of 42
Why choose when both are so delicious. Hmmmm...I bet my mother is making ham for Easter tomorrow.
post #25 of 42
post #26 of 42
Man I feel bad about the big one. Once you get that ugly you shouldn't be allowed to be killed.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I had bacon wrapped banana a few weeks ago for the first time. Man, was it freaking delicious.

Good god a mighty
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #28 of 42
Your southern "country" ham, salt cured and hickory smoked, is a formidable item. I'll have to go with that. Served with red eye gravy. And grits.

Not that I'm not a fan of the bacon, but bacon is pretty much bacon, whereas in the right hands ham can make the blind to see and the lame to walk.
post #29 of 42
Culatello. Or prosciutto.
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Culatello. Or prosciutto.

On that note... pancetta and sopressata.
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Good god a mighty

You gotta try it!

I was at a friend's wedding at some all inclusive resort in Mexico. Banana cut into about 2 inch slices, wrapped in bacon and I assume baked/broiled in an oven. The whole sweet/salty/tangy combination was fantastic.

I think all of us gained a couple of pounds "getting our money's worth" out of the unlimited food and drink.
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

You gotta try it!

I was at a friend's wedding at some all inclusive resort in Mexico. Banana cut into about 2 inch slices, wrapped in bacon and I assume baked/broiled in an oven. The whole sweet/salty/tangy combination was fantastic.

I think all of us gained a couple of pounds "getting our money's worth" out of the unlimited food and drink.

Oh, OK, that sounds pretty tasty.

I had an image of you peeling a banana, grabbing a strip of bacon, and chowing down.
post #33 of 42
Pig is gross. Hot dog skins are intestines that they don't even wash out well so youz eatin' poo. Not to mention ground up A-hole.
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Yummy!

I just went to a Asian supermarket a few days ago, and was reading all sorts of neato items I rarely find and came across bulk pig uterus. Ho-le-carp! I stopped browsing immediately and finished my shopping. *Shudder* People eat that? Nevermind... I don't think I want to know.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by details View Post

Pig is gross. Hot dog skins are intestines that they don't even wash out well so youz eatin' poo. Not to mention ground up A-hole.

Actually, today's hot dog has 20% less pig anus than yesterday's pig anus laden dogs.
post #36 of 42
Hey, didn't they switch to synthetic wrapping a while back?
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #37 of 42
For some reason I never get bored of the taste of ham. Ham for the win

My wife is a big fan of intestines, I think they're okay but pretty fun to eat because it usually involves copious amounts of alcohol. We generally have them grilled with a spicy sauce. Another favorite is steamed intestines, stuffed with noodles and blood but that's more of a snack than a meal. I also ate them in a stew once but I didn't like that and I don't think I'll eat it again.

We have another dish which I'm partial to called dalk dong jib (chickens asshole) but don't worry, they are really giblets and taste delicious with sesame oil and salt
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post

Hey, didn't they switch to synthetic wrapping a while back?

I think most/all big commercial brands, yeah.

Happily here in Michigan we have Kogel Viennas Best hot dog you'll ever have.
post #39 of 42
Vincent: Want some bacon?
Jules: No man, I don't eat pork.
Vincent: Are you Jewish?
Jules: Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
Vincent: Why not?
Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got enough sense enough to disregard its own faeces.
Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules: I don't eat dog either.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
Jules: Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charmin' motherfuckin' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Vincent: Want some bacon?
Jules: No man, I don't eat pork.
Vincent: Are you Jewish?
Jules: Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
Vincent: Why not?
Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got enough sense enough to disregard its own faeces.
Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules: I don't eat dog either.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
Jules: Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charmin' motherfuckin' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

One of the best exchanges ever.

Oh, and I should really say that despite my embracing ham as the superior pork product, I'm not a huge fan of pork to begin with. You know what...fuck it. I'm changing my answer. Bacon it is. I don't eat much of either, but I do enjoy some tasty bacon from time to time.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Superior Pork Product...