or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › FLAC (lossless) to iTunes Apple Lossless?

FLAC (lossless) to iTunes Apple Lossless?

post #1 of 33
Is there a Mac program that will take FLAC and APE files and convert them into Apple Lossless (m4a) for import into iTunes?
post #2 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNGME View Post

Is there a Mac program that will take FLAC and APE files and convert them into Apple Lossless (m4a) for import into iTunes?

I don't know honestly. Leopard's Quicktime will support FLAC however and that may make tools like this easier or obviate the need.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I don't know honestly. Leopard's Quicktime will support FLAC however and that may make tools like this easier or obviate the need.

Toast will do it
post #4 of 33
SoundConverter also does this.

Great little app. Got it just to do exactly what your asking for.

http://www.dekorte.com/projects/shar...oundConverter/

Very clean, simple and full of Cocoa goodness.
Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we...
Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we...
post #5 of 33
Install the Xiph QuickTime component: http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/

Then you should be able to open the FLAC files in iTunes, and to use iTunes's ALAC encoder.
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Install the Xiph QuickTime component: http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/

Then you should be able to open the FLAC files in iTunes, and to use iTunes's ALAC encoder.

maybe I did something wrong, but I installed this and it hasn't worked at all, not on ogm files, or flac files either.
post #7 of 33
My mistake; the Xiph.org component currently doesn't fully work with FLAC. Seems to work fine with Ogg Vorbis, though.
post #8 of 33
Actually, I forgot to mention that when I turned to SoundConverter (around 9 months ago now) I searched far and wide for a cheap/free/functional converter app.

I can't recall why, but at the time SoundConverter definitely seemed to be my only option. Apps like these appeared to be thin on the ground for Mac.

All the best.
post #9 of 33
Ah, I found a REALLY good freeware tool. It preserves ID tags and even embedded album art from FLAC/APE to Apple Lossless and vice versa.

http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/index_e.html
post #10 of 33
Tried that free converter... can't get it to work. My console says: "permission denied"
Anybody else have same or better?
post #11 of 33
OK here's the skinny. I just did this last week, and there are two things to note from this great link that solved the whole problem perfectly:

1. If you use the xACT converter, you'll lose all tags and have to retag everything you convert. Not good. Not to mention that you'll still have to convert from AIFF to Apple Lossless to get the files in any compressed lossless format.

2. Xiph, used together with FLAC Importer allows you to play FLAC in the Quicktime player and other programs that support QT, but not in iTunes, unless you change the metadata of the file, which you can do with SetOggS.

If you follow the instructions on the link you'll be able to play FLAC natively in iTunes, with all tags preserved. Or you can use iTunes to convert to Apple Lossless if you like, still with all tags preserved.
post #12 of 33
Max!

http://sbooth.org/Max/

Quote:
If you would like to convert your audio from one format to another, Max can read and write audio files in over 20 compressed and uncompressed formats at almost all sample rates and and in most sample sizes. For many popular formats the artist and album metadata is transferred seamlessly between the old and new files.

Max leverages open source components and the resources of Mac OS X to provide extremely high-quality output. For example, MP3 encoding is accomplished with LAME, Ogg Vorbis encoding with aoTuV, FLAC encoding with libFLAC, and AAC and Apple Lossless encoding with Core Audio. Many PCM conversions are also possible using Core Audio and libsndfile.
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziness View Post

Ah, I found a REALLY good freeware tool. It preserves ID tags and even embedded album art from FLAC/APE to Apple Lossless and vice versa.

http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/index_e.html

this works for me.

i just drop the FLAC file on the application icon and it converts to ALAC. you can tell the application what kind of file you want to end up with by changing your preferences.
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralcrunch View Post

Max!

http://sbooth.org/Max/

Another vote for Max. Superb piece of software and its FREE
post #15 of 33
Hey guys!

I have a quick question: I'm converting FLAC and APE files with XLD to Apple Lossless - but all my tags are gone missing when adding the newly created files to iTunes. Can anyone help me? I understand that iTunes uses another tag format right now but I can't find a way to convert the tags or solve the problem in any other way...

BTW: Max is not working on my system because I can't choose the formats under "settings"..
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by saschke View Post

Hey guys!

I have a quick question: I'm converting FLAC and APE files with XLD to Apple Lossless - but all my tags are gone missing when adding the newly created files to iTunes. Can anyone help me? I understand that iTunes uses another tag format right now but I can't find a way to convert the tags or solve the problem in any other way...

BTW: Max is not working on my system because I can't choose the formats under "settings"..

Well never mind. Using XLD, converting to AIFF then to Apple Lossless directly in iTunes seems to have done the trick
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
post #17 of 33
Quote:

Well never mind. Using XLD, converting to AIFF then to Apple Lossless directly in iTunes seems to have done the trick

I Second XLD. XLD is the only Lossless decoder you will need. It's an awesome free utility.
post #18 of 33
Quote:

Sure, max and xld, IMHO xld is much better, and both convert directly to apple lossless. These are the only ones you ll need. Xld is absolutely fantastic and updated very very frequently.
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Sure, max and xld, IMHO xld is much better, and both convert directly to apple lossless. These are the only ones you ll need. Xld is absolutely fantastic and updated very very frequently.

I just tried them both and I have to agree that XLD is much better.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I just tried them both and I have to agree that XLD is much better.

Third XLD, one of the best free apps on the Mac! When ripping/converting it even sends conversions to separate cores so it blazes through conversion tasks on a multi-processor iMac or Mac Pro!
post #21 of 33
Quote:

Hey guys!

The "Stable" 2009 release of Max crashed when I went to select the Format so I downloaded the "Unstable" 2011 release and that worked perfectly. I'm on OSX 10.6.7
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Third XLD, one of the best free apps on the Mac! When ripping/converting it even sends conversions to separate cores so it blazes through conversion tasks on a multi-processor iMac or Mac Pro!

Forth on XLD!

Remember to open folder with all three files: .flac .log and .cue
post #23 of 33
but the xld seems to be in japanese. ??
post #24 of 33
The link to the freeware program XLD, is broken.

Good news it's on macupdate now.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/234...ssless-decoder

here's the current developer site:

http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html
post #25 of 33
XLD is perfect for this. I just converted at 45 minute flac album to apple lossless in about 30 seconds. XLD can even automatically add to iTune.

XIPH is great except all that does is let you play music in quicktime/iTune, you still can't copy flac to your iPhone.
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by phasornc View Post

XLD is perfect for this. I just converted at 45 minute flac album to apple lossless in about 30 seconds. XLD can even automatically add to iTune.

XIPH is great except all that does is let you play music in quicktime/iTune, you still can't copy flac to your iPhone.

That's more the fault of the iPhone than a limitation of the software. No software's gonna get your FLAC files on an iDevice, and the POINT of this software is to not HAVE any more FLAC.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #27 of 33
Oh, neat. Well, that sort of works.

I recently finished moving my entire library (well, everything that I was ever going to find lossless) to ALAC from either rips or FLAC source, so it's too late for me.

Not that I necessarily wanted FLAC anyway, but Max is just too good an application to pass up.

post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbabywell View Post

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Convert FLAC to iTunes Compatible Audio to Import FLAC to iTunes, iTunes Match

you will find as many solutions as possible on how to import flac to itunes apple lossless

Or just download XLD for free and do it with zero steps.

post #29 of 33
Quote:

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Import FLAC to iTunes

you will find a simple solution to import flac to itunes, and this guide also applies to import ape to itunes
post #30 of 33
Thank you all... great thread. XLD is AWESOME!

AppleInsider forum members to the rescue, again! When I google how to do things...Many times I end up back here.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #31 of 33
it will be better if itunes can directly play flac
or can anyone suggest a nice flac player
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by igrowingbaby View Post

it will be better if itunes can directly play flac
or can anyone suggest a nice flac player

Why? Just use XLD to convert to ALAC instead. ALAC's a better format.

post #33 of 33
Eh, I just convert flac to wav, then import adn tag them in iTunes, then make an ALAC copy, yeah, it's kind of a pain, but once you get used to it, it's really easy.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › FLAC (lossless) to iTunes Apple Lossless?