or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › So who owns stock in Apple?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So who owns stock in Apple?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Just wanted to hear your thoughts about the trends of Apple in the stock market.
alldaydrive.com
.rock.
Reply
alldaydrive.com
.rock.
Reply
post #2 of 24
I own shares. The stock has been rather boring in the recent months. The EMI/DRM announcement didn't seem to affect it at all. Maybe today's 100 million iPods one will. Or the iPhone introduction.
post #3 of 24
I own a bit. Enough to have turned $930 into $6000. My parents are buying some this year for their IRA dealie.


Heres to AAPL being the next BRKA and worth $109,000 a share.

(I've actually lunched with Warren Buffet at his favorite steak house, Gorat. He's an amazing guy and it's cool we share the same hometown.)
post #4 of 24
Congrats Sailo. Smart guy, smart parents.

The stock is a phenomenal buy even at current high levels. The price is stalled at $93-$94 because of heavy option trader action around a $95 strikepoint. Once it breaks thru $95, then we'll have to deal with the $100 options. If you start buying shares now, barring unforseen political or non-technical issues, by the end of 2007 or early 2008 you'll have made enough money to buy that 8 core Pro with a flux capacitor that you've been lusting after.
post #5 of 24
I bought some Apple stock before the split for $13 a share (so $6.50 a share compared to the $93 it's worth today). I was still in high school so I only bought 25 shares. I wish I bought more back then.

I sold some last year to help start my home business, I plan on buying back the shares that I sold within the next few months.
post #6 of 24
On paper anyway, I've made something like an 800% gain on my original investment, so I can't complain.

Melgross sounds like he has a much, much larger stake in AAPL, so I won't brag too much.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #7 of 24
Fran,

You really do need a flux capacitor!

Spam,

I hope you have converted some of that gain into cash.
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Congrats Sailo. Smart guy, smart parents.

The stock is a phenomenal buy even at current high levels. The price is stalled at $93-$94 because of heavy option trader action around a $95 strikepoint. Once it breaks thru $95, then we'll have to deal with the $100 options. If you start buying shares now, barring unforseen political or non-technical issues, by the end of 2007 or early 2008 you'll have made enough money to buy that 8 core Pro with a flux capacitor that you've been lusting after.

Hey, I'm a bit of a stock-newb, but can you explain that a little more or provide links?

What's a strike point? By options, do you mean employee stock options?
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Hey, I'm a bit of a stock-newb, but can you explain that a little more or provide links?

What's a strike point? By options, do you mean employee stock options?

Greg,

My apologies for the jargon. Options refer to 'put" and "call" options to buy or sell stock at a given price on a stated future date. It's a long complex discussion on how options trading affects stock prices. You can Google "put option", "call option" or go to OptionsXpress.com for a primer on Options trading , how it ties into stock trading and how it affects the price of a stock.
post #10 of 24
I own some. I think the big gainers in the next few years for Apple will be:

(not in any particular order)

1. Growing marketshare = higher sales = higher valued shares (future iterations of OS X and Mac's are in the mix here).

2. Apple enters the mobile phone business = several different phone models ranging from simple to extravagant = money = higher valued shares (Apple may become a service provider eventually too).

3. Apple TV box, Apple Television, iTunes iPTV service = potential huge money earner = higher valued shares.

4. iPod = Video touchscreen = real mobile video = higher valued shares.

5. Apple stores, sometime in the next 10 years apple may have a store in every country in Europe too.

I think most if not all iPod's will be replaced by mobile phones from Apple over the next two years, but it will be some time (if ever) before that happens to video iPod's, and I don't mean the 5G iPod, I mean the video iPod's that are coming this year. Apple may keep an iPod like the shuffle round for a while if they continue to sell, and for those people who like just music while jogging or without being contact-able. Music playing mobile phones are the future, most people will come round to that eventually, espeicaily when Apple proves to them it can be done right.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Spam,

I hope you have converted some of that gain into cash.

No, not yet. It'll be a heck of a tax hit once I do... I'll wait to see if they can actually break $100 or if they split again... aw, you got me, I'll probably just buy more when that happens anyway.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, not yet. It'll be a heck of a tax hit once I do... I'll wait to see if they can actually break $100 or if they split again... aw, you got me, I'll probably just buy more when that happens anyway.

Spam,

You want to sell a little bit, take some profit. If you've held it more than a year, its long term capital gains at a lower tax rate (~15%) than short term capital gains rate (~35%). I had a friend who bought lots of Iomega stock just before they got smoking hot (mid 90s) with their zip drives. He held on thinking the stock would go up forever. Never happens. Iomega crashed hard back to earth and my friend didn't make a dime, losing about ~$50K in profits he could have had.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Spam,

You want to sell a little bit, take some profit. If you've held it more than a year, its long term capital gains at a lower tax rate (~15%) than short term capital gains rate (~35%). I had a friend who bought lots of Iomega stock just before they got smoking hot (mid 90s) with their zip drives. He held on thinking the stock would go up forever. Never happens. Iomega crashed hard back to earth and my friend didn't make a dime, losing about ~$50K in profits he could have had.

That's good food for thought, thanks.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #14 of 24
Apple is not dependent on one product though.
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Apple is not dependent on one product though.

Absolutely true. No intent to compare Apple with Iomega. Just comparing the stock situations--sitting on a load of paper profit and not taking a little cash profit. Even the Oracle of Omaha does that.
post #16 of 24
Greg et al.

Here's a good beginners site to learn about options trading and other stock investing basics.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...Advantages.asp
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Greg et al.

Here's a good beginners site to learn about options trading and other stock investing basics.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...Advantages.asp

Interesting site. There are other online trader competitions, but I went ahead and joined up to see if it's any fun.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Interesting site. There are other online trader competitions, but I went ahead and joined up to see if it's any fun.

Spam,

Good for you. It's a complex world--options trading is not for amateurs like you and I. But, if you understand it, you get a better understanding of how stock prices go up and down. Also, sooner or later, as you learn more, you'll discover that large institutional investors and Hedge funds by and large control the entire stock market.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Spam,

Good for you. It's a complex world--options trading is not for amateurs like you and I. But, if you understand it, you get a better understanding of how stock prices go up and down. Also, sooner or later, as you learn more, you'll discover that large institutional investors and Hedge funds by and large control the entire stock market.

Well, I'm not exactly new to trading. Been doing it for nearly 10 years, but the fancy-shmancy trading (like futures) I've generally avoided. And of course the big boys control the market, but they in turn are susceptible to panic selling and 'emotional' fluctuations in the market that don't concern those of us who are long-term buy and hold traders.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well, I'm not exactly new to trading. Been doing it for nearly 10 years, but the fancy-shmancy trading (like futures) I've generally avoided. And of course the big boys control the market, but they in turn are susceptible to panic selling and 'emotional' fluctuations in the market that don't concern those of us who are long-term buy and hold traders.

Spam,

Spoken like a true devotee of "The Oracle of Omaha".
post #21 of 24
What's up with the $100 "ceiling" there seems to be on AAPL at the moment.
post #22 of 24
The price of a stock can be calculated using a rather simple looking but in reality complex equation. Here's a very short simplified overview.

Stock price = (Earnings per Share) x ( A Multiple); or stated differently, the Multiple = Stock Price/ Earnings per Share = P/E ratio.

Apple's "trailing" EPS was $2.76 announced in its last earnings report. The Multiple is a very complex number based on many factors, but dominated by what the stock market thinks a company's future growth is worth. Apple has a high multiple, in the range of 30-40, because the projections for future growth are high. Thus, investors are willing to pay as much as 40 times current earnings for a share of stock, e,g. 36 x 2,76 = $99. The muliple is very sector related. In some high growth sectors like technology it is high and volatile. In others like farm machinery for example. the multiple is lower and not too volatile. Each sector has a characteristic multiple (P/E) range. Within technology, the computer sub-sector has its own "multiple range". When investing in a stock, it behooves the investor to know what that multiple is for a stock within its sector. Here are some good charts from Yahoo and Google that provide many financial stats and compare Apple to its competitors like HP , Dell and yes MS.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/co?s=AAPL Yahoo

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=AAPL Google

So, since we all want Apple's share price to go up, we want their earnings per share (after compensating for dilution--another topic), to go up AND we want investors to continue to pay a high multiple for Apple shares as a result of confidence that Apple will continue to deliver on its high revenue and profit growth.

Here's your quiz for the day: If we assume a multiple of 33 and Apple announces a "blow out quarter" of $4.00 earnings per share next week (unlikely because the Jan-March post holiday quarter is traditionally a slow one for tech stocks), what should the stock price be?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit by lfe2211

Reuters also gives a very nice set of financial stats with which to analyze Apple

http://www.investor.reuters.wallst.c...&ticker=AAPL.O
post #23 of 24
I bought 35k of apple stock at $12, about 2916 shares ,then it split a while after bring me to 5834 or so. Currently my stake in apple is some where around $525,000 yes you read that right. I have it all in my 401k and I'm not moving my funds around anytime soon. I predict another split shortly after it hits $100 a share. Best thing I ever did, when I left Chrysler I sold all of my stock, prefect timing.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderloc View Post

I bought 35k of apple stock at $12, about 2916 shares ,then it split a while after bring me to 5834 or so. Currently my stake in apple is some where around $525,000 yes you read that right. I have it all in my 401k and I'm not moving my funds around anytime soon. I predict another split shortly after it hits $100 a share. Best thing I ever did, when I left Chrysler I sold all of my stock, prefect timing.

Congrats! You are a wise investor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › So who owns stock in Apple?