or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AudioBook on iPod skips to next
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AudioBook on iPod skips to next

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I've been living with this since day one, I thought I'd post something here to see what people have to say.

I am using an 80gb video iPod.

Just about every audiobook I have (there are several and I think it's more like all of them but I can't be sure) does this...

If the iPod has been off for a while, and I go to listen to an audiobook (it picks up from where I left off), it will play for a minute or so and then exit out and advance to the next audiobook. If I go back to the previous one (the one I was listening too), my place in the audiobook is lost (and set back to 0). Once this happens once, it doesn't happen again - until I stop listening long enough for the iPod to turn off. This happens about 99% of the time - no exageration. I feel like it's more like 100% of the time but I'd hate to be made a liar at some point. ;-)

Sometimes I can fool it. I might stop and start it every 5-10 seconds for the first half minute of play or so when I pick it up and it will be fine (but not always).

I did a reset/restore on the iPod to no avail. The firmware is at the latest as well.

Has anyone else experienced this?
post #2 of 12
Its probably because you have your audiobooks on more than iPods/computers than youre allowed to have them on
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

Its probably because you have your audiobooks on more than iPods/computers than youre allowed to have them on

Nope.
That's not it at all, if it was - they wouldn't even transfer to the iPod... besides - it says that it's an authorized audible account.
Like I said - it does play - it's just that initially it skips to the next audiobook and looses it's place on the initial one. You have to go back, scrub through to the spot you left off (as a habit now I always check my position as soon as the ipod starts playing) and then you can resume listening without incident from that point forward.

I've since heard that it's a problem with the iPod design. Someone else had the same problem on a 30g iPod (mine's the 80gb)... a suggestion was to download a file with a lower quality/bit rate. I'm going to try that next.
post #4 of 12
hmm idk, sorry
post #5 of 12
Have you had any luck? I have the exact same problem with my 30gb ipod.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyb View Post

I've been living with this since day one, I thought I'd post something here to see what people have to say.

I am using an 80gb video iPod.

Just about every audiobook I have (there are several and I think it's more like all of them but I can't be sure) does this...

If the iPod has been off for a while, and I go to listen to an audiobook (it picks up from where I left off), it will play for a minute or so and then exit out and advance to the next audiobook. If I go back to the previous one (the one I was listening too), my place in the audiobook is lost (and set back to 0). Once this happens once, it doesn't happen again - until I stop listening long enough for the iPod to turn off. This happens about 99% of the time - no exageration. I feel like it's more like 100% of the time but I'd hate to be made a liar at some point. ;-)

Sometimes I can fool it. I might stop and start it every 5-10 seconds for the first half minute of play or so when I pick it up and it will be fine (but not always).

I did a reset/restore on the iPod to no avail. The firmware is at the latest as well.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have lots of audiobooks on my 4 Gig Nano and I have never experienced this problem. I can't help with your problem but I can recommend Scott Kelby's book on the Ipod. It covers everything Ipod and has lots of troubleshooting info. Twenty bucks well spent IMO.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

I have lots of audiobooks on my 4 Gig Nano and I have never experienced this problem. I can't help with your problem but I can recommend Scott Kelby's book on the Ipod. It covers everything Ipod and has lots of troubleshooting info. Twenty bucks well spent IMO.

That pretty much confirms my suspicion that its a problem with the hard drives in the video ipods. I wonder if anyone has encountered this issue with audio books off of itunes?
post #8 of 12
Although, it's only with the most recent audio book I purchased. All the other audiobooks I have play normally.

The one I just purchased will play from my music library in the iTunes client and it will play from the iPod when connected to my computer and played through the iTunes client.

Whenever I try to play the audiobook directly from the iPod, the player skips all four parts of the book and starts playing the next audiobook in my playlist.

I guess I just wasted $25.00...

This is on my 2G iPod nano....
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyb View Post

Just about every audiobook I have (there are several and I think it's more like all of them but I can't be sure) does this...

If the iPod has been off for a while, and I go to listen to an audiobook (it picks up from where I left off), it will play for a minute or so and then exit out and advance to the next audiobook. If I go back to the previous one (the one I was listening too), my place in the audiobook is lost (and set back to 0). Once this happens once, it doesn't happen again - until I stop listening long enough for the iPod to turn off. This happens about 99% of the time - no exageration. I feel like it's more like 100% of the time but I'd hate to be made a liar at some point. ;-)

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mine has been doing that as well since we bought it. And it only does it to audiobooks. Never had a problem with Podcasts or songs.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansutton View Post

Although, it's only with the most recent audio book I purchased. All the other audiobooks I have play normally.

The one I just purchased will play from my music library in the iTunes client and it will play from the iPod when connected to my computer and played through the iTunes client.

Whenever I try to play the audiobook directly from the iPod, the player skips all four parts of the book and starts playing the next audiobook in my playlist.

I guess I just wasted $25.00...

This is on my 2G iPod nano....

Same problem with my 80gb. Hope someone comes up with a solution. Hate to buy a book that I can't "hear" on my ipod.
post #11 of 12
Did anyone ever get this figured out? My iPod does this to and it is unbelievably annoying. The book plays till it's about 80% complete (regardless of the length of the bood) and then skips to the next book. I have to go up a menu level, start the book over and then fast forward to get to the point where I left off.

Up to that 80% completion rate, all works fine - including remembering where I left off the last time I listened.

It's also NOT the case, that this only happens when I haven't been listening for a while. I listened to a book earlier today, then after dinner hit "play" and it immediately skipped ahead.
post #12 of 12

I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same problem and I'm hoping someone has found a solution by now.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AudioBook on iPod skips to next