or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 4 Days - NAB predictions.

4 Days - NAB predictions. - Page 2

post #41 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Good point, 'murch. I rescind the defense of my comments.

I'm desperately hoping for some new nVidia card options in the Mac Pros, any speculation as to what cards will be available? Any significant improvement over the current cards (including the X1900) would be awesome.
post #42 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

NAB:

Highly likely:
-Final Cut Studio 6
-Final Cut Express (update)

Moderately likely:
-Mac Pro + BluRay
-Mac Pro + New extreme graphics card (Nvidia?)

Somewhat likely:
-MacBook Pro (+ BluRay?)

No:
-Cinema Display (If it ain't broken, don't fix it; recent price drops)

-MacBook

Really No:
-Leopard
-iPhone
-Zebra striped "Steve-Jobs-style" turtleneck

I really do hope you're right about the Mac Pros!

The Zebra striped turtleneck was hilarious!
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #43 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post

I'm desperately hoping for some new nVidia card options in the Mac Pros, any speculation as to what cards will be available? Any significant improvement over the current cards (including the X1900) would be awesome.

I agree that they need to step up and really get a current card out there. The NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI) is a decent card, but not the top of the line - which is what the Mac Pro ought to have in it.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #44 of 99
According to LoopRumors, Steve Jobs is giving the speech at NAB.

They will also have live coverage of the event on their website.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
post #45 of 99
This is quite a surprise.

See link below for article on this news!

http://looprumors.com/article.php?ap...age,2712181245

This suggests that significant new products will be launched tomorrow as Steve does not usually present at NAB (phil schiller mktg head usually does).

Also, Apple has gone for a much larger booth and as usual this very first one as you enter!

Not many people were expecting Steve to present and with the invite saying: Lights, camera, Apple" and Steve now presenting this could be meaningful!
post #46 of 99
Obviously, if the rumor is true it will be another major announcement... I don't think new monitors would require Steve-o presenting.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #47 of 99
Wow looks like 4K is the new acquisition standard to pine for.

Dalsa Evolution.

vs Red ONE

Let the fun begin on Monday!
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #48 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Res...are you using one of the latest versions of Logic with Guitar Amp? If so what do you think of GA?

I have Logic Pro 7.2 but I have not fooled around much with Guitar Amp. I'm hoping that the next update to logic will give me a UI that feels more natureal to me (I am just not very happy with Logic right now and I've been thinking about selling it and going with another DAW). I really wish I didn't sell my 16 track recorder -- things were so much easier back when we all used tape. *sigh*
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
post #49 of 99
I am going to take a more speculative punt.

With the end of Shake development, I'm going to guess that Apple is going to pre-announce its sucessor: A Core-Image based compositing application built on top of Motion.

My guess is that it is going to be called "Action"

C.
post #50 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

We're fully 64-bit to the core. Now it's time to start building some cool stuff.

what? your mini is 64 bit.. i thought the core(not 2)duos were 32 bit :P

an update to Logic in one form of another would be cool.. a UI update alone might be disapointing, but welcomed the current one is so DRAB IMO.

still holding off for non RAM bottle-necked 8 core PMs ... not that they cant SINGGGG as is but 4 core iMacs would be nice...

hey, its all wishing right!
post #51 of 99
Wild Speculation.

Mac Book Pro announcment - shipping in May
Shake successor,
Final Cut Studio 2,
Final Cut Express Upgrade.

Maybe a preview of a few new Leopard Features.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #52 of 99
i am expecting to wake up in the morning (local time) and be underwhelmed by the annnouncements (software, hardware both). wish i wasn't, but am...
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #53 of 99
I predict someone will come in here within two hours yelling "APPLE STORE IS DOWN!!!!!!"
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #54 of 99
Sooo. Now I am extreamly disapointed.

In market for a new MBP and it is sooo close to the average update mark (172 of 182) and NAB has come and gone, i am assuming they would have released an update at the special event.

So now what... I can't wait any longer then June because that is when i will be leaving for my isolated work spot.

and obviously june is the next big event to release anything. Do you think they will update it before WWDC or is there any hope of an update.

Obvioyusly no one knows for sure, but what would you do?
post #55 of 99
APPLE STORE WENT DOWN

We're introducing Final Cut server."

11:15am - Scalable from small boutiques to multinational news organizations. Interface works on PC as well. Media asset management: catalogues 100 file types, proxy generation, keyword searching, access controls. Workflow automation: workflow templates, watch and respond system, review and approve tools, automated encode and publish -- "It's an event-based system." [P.S. Apple Store just went down]
post #56 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watters View Post

Sooo. Now I am extreamly disapointed.

In market for a new MBP and it is sooo close to the average update mark (172 of 182) and NAB has come and gone, i am assuming they would have released an update at the special event.

So now what... I can't wait any longer then June because that is when i will be leaving for my isolated work spot.

and obviously june is the next big event to release anything. Do you think they will update it before WWDC or is there any hope of an update.

Obvioyusly no one knows for sure, but what would you do?

Wow, did you go into the future to get this info? (since NAB event is still going on as I write this, hours after your comment). Time Zones--we didn't evolve with them, and now it's hard to adjust.
post #57 of 99
Nice.

Looks like the rumors of an add on accelerator are true.
Apple introduces the IO-HD box($3495) for Prorez 422 encoding.
Realtime SD-HD conversion.

PRO RES 4:2:2 codec
-10 bit 4:2:2
-full raster
-uncompressed project was 1TB, converting to highest quality was 170GB
-bandwidth efficiency, gotta work across a SAN OK
-color space headroom - 4:2:0 converted to 4:2:2
-support for next gen devices
-edit friendly
-translates whatever may come
-SONY - introducing new HDCAM SR system, 1080p60 w/ProRes 4:2:2 will be a good solution according to Sony
-to use that 1080p60 stuff, want it in an edit friendly format - can capture as ProRes 422
-PANASONIC - betting big on AVC Intra, ProRes 422 is an "outstanding post-production format for Panasonic's new genration of AVC-Intra based camcorders"
-RED (FIRST TIME THERE'S APPLAUSE) - VIDEO
Red Video
-edit 4K w/ease & elegance
-2 ways to work w/4K files in FCP
-native Redcode for DI finishes
-ProRes for broadcast work
-can plug 4K footage, plug into laptop, convert to ProRes 422 (!!!!)
-CineAlta cameras - MacBook Pro running Final Cut, how to get F900 into
-NEW HARDWARE - AJA device to get HD-SDI into FW800
-looks like a little G5 w/a handle on it, crapload of ports on the backside
-"I/O HD" hardware
-has ProResHD codec IN THE HARDWARE can move 10b422 ProRes - SD/HD up/down/cross conversion all in hardware
-10"x12"x15" or so guesstimated size based on seeing it
-PRICE? introduced at $3495, available in July
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #58 of 99
It doesnt seem like FC6 or Motion 3 is being introduced .... hummm or am i missing something ?
post #59 of 99
Engadget's got the skinny.

Huge FCP update. Aforementioned server, open format timeline, new post format "Apple ProRes 422 (HD files at SD sizes), Smoothcam from Shake integrated, Motion templates and editing integrated, new AJA IO box "edit Red One 4k footage a a MBP".
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #60 of 99
"We're just getting started. Going to turn my attention now to Motion 3 -- this year we're embracing 3D, extended all the familiar tools into cameras, light sources, navigation of 3D space... create the kind of graphics you want to create. We're adding paint. Particles, video, pictures, pen -- speed, pressure sensitivity -- and throw behaviors on the strokes to bring that paint to live. Something shockingly complicated in the past is now easy: match moving."
post #61 of 99
Hah, Murch beat me by a mile.

3D and painting for Motion! This is crazy.
post #62 of 99
OPEN FORMAT TIMELINE:
-mis formats
-mis resolutions
-mix framerates
-5 minutes after using it, you stop worry, IT JUST WORKS
-Smoothcam - remove unwanted camera motion right in FCP
-background optical flow analysis
-adjust parameters

EDITABLE MOTION TEMPLATES:
-access Motion templates directly w/in FCP
-can access templates in timeline in fCP
-can change instances to edit the master - IS LIKE STYLE SHEETS
-Motion is more integrated, and is a part of, Final Cut Pro

DEMO:
-Open format timeline, Paul demoing
-drag a file to timeline, FCP can set timeline to match
-22 MB/sec for 1080p24 4:2:2 ProRes
-if you drag a DVCPRO HD to timeline that is 1920x1080, it'll scale and aspect ratio correct on the fly to make it right
-mixing uncompressed w/ProRes to DVCPRO with a realtime effect, UNCOMPRESSED 10 BIT with realtime effects
-have interlaced DV footage, drop on timeline that is progressive, it just figures it all out
-could always send video to Motion, now can bring graphics to you - add templates from Motion are in FCP, can Superimpose, Overwrite, or Insert
-opens in Viewer to edit the text in FCP
-(has an orange render bar)
-unrendered Motion Template over 10b uncompressed video, plays...but w/low frame rate
-when change a template, ripples through EVERYWHERE you used that template - style sheets!
-FXPlug stuff - drop a plugin onto timeline, GPU realtime stuff
-plays back in pretty damn real time
-ProRes vs. Uncompressed video (using DCI StEM footage) - has split screen, plas it fullscreen
-the sample they are showing us, that I don't see a difference in, is TENTH generation - they've encoded and reincoded

Wow
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #63 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hah, Murch beat me by a mile.

3D and painting for Motion! This is crazy.

what is final cut server gonna be for ? If i'm just one man shop , that is.... thanks for response.
post #64 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

what is final cut server gonna be for ? If i'm just one man shop , that is.... thanks for response.

You won't need it in a one man shop but the minute you start adding more editors you'll need FCSvr.

Soundtrack Pro

SOUNDTRACK PRO - marriange between picture and audio
-3-up video HUD for placing clips (of audio)
-precisely align
-
Advanced Take Management for dialog replacement
-bring in multiple tracks and composite multiple track out of portions that work for you, take the composite down the road, and be able to dive back in and change the settings of that comosite
-surround sound embraced at core
-surround mixing
-single project for 5.1 an dstereo
-intuitive panner w/automation
surround sound plugins
-library of over 1000 music tracks and sound effects in 5.1
-good panning tools for speaker to speaker controlled by mouse in realtime as you do it
CONFORM:
-sync changes between picture and sound
-see diffferences highlighted in the grpahical view
audition, then accept or override changes
-if the edit changes for picture, can go through changes to accept or reject, or just let it work to move all the stuff where it is supposed to go

Soundtrack Pro 2 Demo
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #65 of 99
Murch,

Any predictions about what's going to come with DVD Studio Pro?
post #66 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Murch,

Any predictions about what going to come with DVD Studio Pro?

I dont know but they're offloading alot of stuff to GPU.. motion and now Final cut pro as well... they better introduce 8800Nvidia or annouce when they'll ship r600 Ati. No way in hell i'm paying close to $300 for 1900XT.
post #67 of 99
Quote:

Murch,

Any predictions about what going to come with DVD Studio Pro?

I think most of us want enhanced HD authoring support. HD DVD and HDi and Blu-ray and BD-Java.

Motion looks like it's exactly what people have been asking for. Soundtrack Pro 2 is going to make those waiting for the next Logic Pro sick. I can "hear" them breathing right now.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #68 of 99
I'm surprised the FCP Studio team had any time to help out with Aperture. Looks like they've been just straight up kicking ass.
post #69 of 99
Looks like Compressor gets its share of giant Studio 2 lovin'......
post #70 of 99
Quote:

whats new ? Hopefully it'll be able to use 4 - 8 core to the max.
post #71 of 99
Quote:

whats new ? Hopefully it'll be able to use 4 - 8 core to the max.

3x speed-up with 8 core (that's between Compressor 2 and 3, both on an 8 core, so definitely some improved MP action).
post #72 of 99
Quote:

3x speed-up with 8 core.

Nice , so that means its finally multithreaded , right ?
post #73 of 99
Quote:

3x faster. Thank God. Many will love C3 for this alone.

Quote:
It's now a major marquee member of the Final Pro suite. It's industrial strength." It now features simplified cluster setup, extended to MPEG-2, H.264, Telestream Episode Pro plug-in with VC-1, WMV, FLV... dynamic filters with timecode overlays, animated motion watermarks.

With a Mac Pro 8-core with this sample it will take us 16:45 in Compressor 2. In Compressor 3 it's down almost 3x to 6:02. I've encoded a 10 minute clip in less than ten minutes. Compressor 3 demo time.

VC-1 is there. I'm betting on full MUCH improved HD DVD and Blu-ray support
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #74 of 99
Quote:

Nice , so that means its finally multithreaded , right ?

(From the engadget feed): "Easy to spread multiple threads across as many processor cores as you want -- demo shows octo-core encoding jump to 100% across all eight cores. Shows live bookmarks in video, publishing to iTunes. All done!"

That would be yes. Screen shot shows drop down list for choosing number of cores.
post #75 of 99
Still $1299. $499 upgrade from previous Studio, $699 from any version of FCP. Available next month.

Any version to the beginning. If you can get your hands on a copy of FCP 1 you can get the new hotness for $699. Pretty sweet.
post #76 of 99
Can somebody please tell Engadget that in the future, updates should be at the top of the page?
post #77 of 99
Quote:

Can somebody please tell Engadget that in the future, updates should be at the top of the page?

For real.
post #78 of 99
New app: Color. Real time color grading.

"It's designed to be a natural extention of FCP. Same UI for 3-way color correction with RGB and luma curves, lift, gamma, gain, visualization of color in 3D space. Mattes from chroma, luma, saturation, custom vignettes, hue and saturation curves. Color effects -- string them together with a node tree. And Geometry. Bring all four of these things together and get what you want: a signature look."
post #79 of 99
MacWorld: "Apple will not release an update for DVD Studio Pro"
post #80 of 99
Quote:

Still $1299. $499 upgrade from previous Studio, $699 from any version of FCP. Available next month.

Any version to the beginning. If you can get your hands on a copy of FCP 1 you can get the new hotness for $699. Pretty sweet.

I think it's clear that DVD Studio Pro 5 is going to be a seperate program. This makes sense. I don't think Apple can add HD DVD and Blu-ray support without losing their shirt. I think DVD SP 5 will have optional parts. Like Dolby TrueHD encoding and DTS HD MA encoding.

It's only fair that they seperate the program for those people who "just" need authoring.

I wonder if Cinema Tools is still in FCP6 and LiveType. I'm sure they are...there's simply not enough time to cover every single features IMO.

NICE upgrade. $3495 sounds expensive but I'll guarantee you that there will be plenty of buyers. RED support! 4k support!!

I'm amazed. I think things improve even more with Leopard. Apple doesn't want to talk about Leopard only features but there will be many IMO.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › 4 Days - NAB predictions.