or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Which blogging site should I pick?

Which blogging site should I pick?

post #1 of 9
Im currently in a gridlock between three blogging websites. LiveJournal, Blogger, and Windows Live Spaces. Blogger, and Windows Live Spaces attract me the most, but LJ is the one Im most familiar with. What do you guys think. Im basically gonna use this to publish my thoughts on politics, religion, and life in general. and I want them to be there till the end of time, or when I delete it.
White MacBook.
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM (two sticks of 512)
120GB HD
Mac OS X: Leopard 10.5.6.
White MacBook.
120GB HD
post #2 of 9
I use Blogger and am pretty happy with it. Their options for posting pictures and formatting stuff are WAY better than LiveJournal. Also, watch out for LJ if you want readers to have a good RSS feed. No experience with Windows Live Spaces, sorry.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I use Blogger and am pretty happy with it. Their options for posting pictures and formatting stuff are WAY better than LiveJournal. Also, watch out for LJ if you want readers to have a good RSS feed. No experience with Windows Live Spaces, sorry.

Yeah the part I like about Windows live spaces is that you can put songs from Windows Media Player, and use the TweakUI tool they have and customize your page, some pretty cool stuff.

I think Im gonna give WLS a try, and if I dont like it I'll go over to blogger.
White MacBook.
120GB HD
White MacBook.
120GB HD
post #4 of 9
Blogger and Lj are pretty popular although I come across that I read more Lj pages than Blogger. On the other hand, my friend told me that Windows Live Spaces needs some sort of update.
post #5 of 9
yeah Im using Windows live spaces now, its pretty cool in terms of customizability, its more like a myspace than anything. I'll give it some more time, but so far is okay.

EDIT: WLS is crap, its a myspace rip off. Im at blogger now, MUCH BETTER!
White MacBook.
120GB HD
White MacBook.
120GB HD
post #6 of 9
I used blogger for a while and liked it. I hosted both at blogger and my own campus site. Then the campus blocked blogger and it was too much trouble to keep the blog up.
post #7 of 9
I tested the waters of iWeb for a while, and realized what a piece of shit it is for blogging. Always struggled with adding content. Totally uncustomizable, etc. Couldn't post an inline youtube video without aggravating workarounds... and eventually, most infuriating of all, I had the dreaded "cannot save" issue. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't update from my work PC.

So now I'm back to Blogger and I love it with a new found appreciation. I post to my own server/domain name and it's a piece of cake. So easy to update whether I'm at work (locked PC) or at home. And it's FAST. Updating my website on iWeb used to take FOREVER to update, because since I used an external server instead of my mac.com account, every page had to be reuploaded, and any customizations had to be reworked every time.

Another nice option is Multiply, which is a far prettier myspace alternative. It has a great interface and fantastic photo album, music and "reviews" features. The only reason I choose Blogger over this is that Blogger brings the reader's focus to the written posts better.
post #8 of 9
If you use blogger is there a way to "dump" it in way so that you can save it or back it up. For example if my campus puts in it's own blog software I want to be able to convert it over from blogger.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydo View Post

If you use blogger is there a way to "dump" it in way so that you can save it or back it up. For example if my campus puts in it's own blog software I want to be able to convert it over from blogger.

AFAIK there's no feature as such. But can't you just save each page of the site as an archive?

Alternatively using Blogger, you CAN upload to your own web server, so if you have access to a server or can set up your own machine as a web server, you can save the site in its entirety. Keep in mind when you use Blogger, it will upload your blog to your designated server via FTP and to the Blogger server automagically. So if you temporarily use your own server for "backup" purposes, the links to your blog on Blogger remain active, and continue to be updated when you update.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Which blogging site should I pick?