or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple delays Leopard release until October

Apple delays Leopard release until October - Page 3

post #81 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusdsf View Post

this is bittersweet.

leopard getting delayed is *not* a good thing, especially as it makes them look like microsoft, and also because it means they're shifting their priorities to the iphone, which i predict will fall on it's ass.

however, i have an ADC membership and recently installed the leopard beta. it sucks balls. it's buggy as hell, and there are absolutely no features to justify the price tag (assuming they continue to go with $129). spaces is nice, ichat is nice, time machine is nice.. but i don't think i'm gonna actually use them that often. hopefully this delay will give them time to include something worth selling.
?

Do you actually develop applications? It doesn't sound like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athletics68 View Post

Two words are all you need to describe this delay.... "BIG MISTAKE".

Tiger has negligable advantages over Vista, and now with Leopard's delay that's not changing any time soon. They'll lose market share as a result now and frankly they deserve it. Delaying an OS release for some phone is the worst thing they could do. iPhone will do ok in the marketplace, but not as well as they're hoping and banking. It has no features that smartphones out there already don't have.

You were doing well until the "it has no features that smartphones out there don't already have"

So how long have you owned your iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmail View Post

How the hell do you plan your hardware purchases around "10.5?" It's an operating system that was barely in beta!!! What kind of idiot would base a purchase off this? Seriously how many times have OSes been delayed in the last 12 years? Hundreds?

Grow up.

They haven't. The planned the Mac Pro Octo around the availability of the 3Ghz procs. Centrino Pro doesn't come out until early May and Penryn/Stoakley isn't due until Q3. Apple has delayed "no" hardware because of Leopard. I don't know where you got that idea from.

I'm shocked but not worried about these events. If Leopard comes in October or a bit before they catch a bit of the Holiday shopping rush. I think they'll look to beat October however. I don't mind that they are putting resources into the iPhone. Once it's up and running and doing well it'll be a large enough success. Tiger isn't a bad OS by any stretch and waiting a few more months isn't going to kill anyone.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #82 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusdsf View Post

this is bittersweet.

leopard getting delayed is *not* a good thing, especially as it makes them look like microsoft,

I'll take a 4 month delay over 5 years any day.
post #83 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by crees! View Post

I'll second that.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #84 of 505
After all the losers sell, it will be a perfect time to buy more Apple stock. Can't believe people can't see the big picture here.
post #85 of 505
I reacted with similar WTF??? outrage when the Intel switch was announced. "Who in their right mind will buy a PPC Mac now, until the Intel models come out???" I wrote.

Many, many people. In fact, I'm still on my PowerBook and I'm doing fine.

It sucks, but my guess is it won't harm their sales too much.
post #86 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebot View Post

Is Apple really robbing in-house OSX developers to work on iPhone?

So it says. And this is not surprising, since we talk not about Apple Computer Inc. anymore. Do not forget that.
post #87 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusdsf"

this is bittersweet.

leopard getting delayed is *not* a good thing, especially as it makes them look like microsoft,

Quote:
Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Bingo!

Especially considering that shipping Leopard before it was ready and chock-full of major bugs would make Apple look more like Microsoft than any 4 month delay ever could. \

Stevie J made the right call.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #88 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

I reacted with similar WTF??? outrage when the Intel switch was announced. "Who in their right mind will buy a PPC Mac now, until the Intel models come out???" I wrote.

Many, many people. In fact, I'm still on my PowerBook and I'm doing fine.

It sucks, but my guess is it won't harm their sales too much.

It wont, the average person dosent even know about Leopard
post #89 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

We should offer our apologies to this other rumour site

No. They attributed the delay to Vista. That is still laughable.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #90 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrwallace View Post

OMG I'm about to hang myself... ok not really but I PLANNED to upgrade my 15" powerbook in late June/July. Now what the hell am I supposed to do? I have to wait till November to upgrade my now defunct and soon to be even more defunct G4. AREWBANLDFGJSDFK:JAS. SO effing mad right now I could rip my hair out. Apple has never disappointed me the 5 years I've been with them until now.... such a sad day indeed this is.

Tiger on a C2D isn't good enough? If you want/need a new machine then get one!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #91 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

It wont, the average person dosent even know about Leopard

Wasn't there a preview ad on the front page of apple.com for awhile. Until a few days ago, actually? That would mean that everyone who went to apple.com knows...
post #92 of 505
It's a bummer that Leopard is delayed but let's be honest Tiger hasn't even hit its 2nd birthday. It's not like we have a rapidly growing defunct OS. Unlike others ...I do want the iPhone to have tremendous success because it's platform agnostic and iTunes/iPods shows us that when Apple nails this they make a lot of cash and that funds cool new Mac products. A few more months is trivial to wait IMO.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #93 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

No. They attributed the delay to Vista. That is still laughable.

Yes. But attributing it to iPhone is just as laughable. Maybe both are true, maybe neither. Apple doesn't always tell the truth.
post #94 of 505
Why in the World are they all over the Map with "Leopard???"
(*APPLE INC.'S OS X*) (*VERSION*) (*#10.7.3+BETA#*) (*BUILD*)
(*#11D36#*) (*ROARING LION USER*)
post #95 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrwallace

OMG I'm about to hang myself... ok not really but I PLANNED to upgrade my 15" powerbook in late June/July. Now what the hell am I supposed to do? I have to wait till November to upgrade my now defunct and soon to be even more defunct G4. AREWBANLDFGJSDFK:JAS. SO effing mad right now I could rip my hair out. Apple has never disappointed me the 5 years I've been with them until now.... such a sad day indeed this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Tiger on a C2D isn't good enough? If you want/need a new machine then get one!

Y'know, we can tell people to go buy a new machine, but that won't make it happen. Considering the delay, Apple could help themselves out a lot by stepping up here.

For example, by announcing an upgrade coupon plan of some kind. "Buy a Mac, get a coupon good for a $19.95 upgrade to Leopard once it's released." It would end a lot of the b*tching, and would negate any kind of 'waiting for Leopard' sales slowdown.

I don't think the Leopard delay will hurts sales in a MAJOR way, but Apple doesn't have to miss its numbers by much for the analysts to start screaming the sky is falling and the stock to drop a lot. We might think that'd be a cool scenario ('cuz we'd buy), but Apple probably wouldn't agree.

post #96 of 505
Crap.

Crap. Crap. Crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

What does this mean for iLife? Skip a year and bring out iLife '08 with Leopard in October? (Suits me.)

I've been fearing this.

Crap.
post #97 of 505
2 bits.
20" Intel iMac - Airport eXtream N - 16gb Black iPhone - Apple TV
20" Intel iMac - Airport eXtream N - 16gb Black iPhone - Apple TV
post #98 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Well, get on with the hardware updates already then Apple. The Mac mini has turned into an antique, we need HDCP support on the displays, better graphics hardware in general, etc. Obviously, there is no point in holding this stuff off for Leopard now.

Exactly. I've been waiting patiently to get a new iMac and I couldn't wait for June and now it's going to be even harder to wait until October. BUT, if this extra delay means better graphics and memory options, it will be well worth it.

But still.....October.....damn.
post #99 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

See the problem isn't that Leopard is delayed. The probelm is that people wait for Leopard before they buy their new hardware, which slows sales of said hardware and potentially these people might just go with Vista instead of waiting.

So they said October and are probably are shooting for a July or September release date to surpirse us. They've done it before, and because of what you mention above, they'll do it again if at all possible,

Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

how often did Jobs jab at Microsoft for delaying Vista?

We are talking about a few months, then again, it's already been 2 years since Tiger came out. We will we see a tenth upgrade to Tiger before Leopard's release?

Anyway, would you rather have Apple compared to Vista because of a short delay or because of the number of bugs affecting it's operation? Yeah, me too, I'll take the time delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPepper View Post

I don't care about the damn iPhone! I am a Mac user and have been longing for Leopard It's just a toy for kids! But Leopard would be the real thing, for adults! Now, you sacrifice it for a phone, you...

I am so frustrated at the moment. xxxxxxx iPhone!!!

Your frustration is clearing driving you mad. The iPhone is not a toy and clearly not designed for kids. You may not care about it, but Apple does. This market has a potential of increasing Apple's value a lot more than a new OS will. I know of many Windows users who are interested in the iPhone (a safe introduction into OS X) and will probably get Macs after using the iPhone.
post #100 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The new iLife will drop it's yearly naming scheme for good, and become part of Leopard, iWork may very likely do the same.

You think? I think they will just miss a year. And I think .Mac will get the same year appended to its name instead of a version number.
post #101 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

10.4.9 is fine.

And it'll only get better.

That is, once we get the 10.4.9.1 update.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #102 of 505
They're joking, right???
post #103 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

given how many tens/hundreds of millions of $ Apple will lose through lost sales because of a 6 month wait, you wonder why they just dont hire a few more people to complete the damn thing already!

They already made that mistake with Aperture. Be happy they aren't repeating it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythical_Man_Month
post #104 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHEN RAY SNELL View Post

They're joking, right???

Yes, they are joking. It will be out next Tuesday.
post #105 of 505
Maybe the should do an Mac OS X (10.4.A) and (10.4.B) and so on since "Leopard's" late anyway.
post #106 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPepper

BlackPepper View Post
I don't care about the damn iPhone! I am a Mac user and have been longing for Leopard It's just a toy for kids! But Leopard would be the real thing, for adults! Now, you sacrifice it for a phone, you...

I am so frustrated at the moment. xxxxxxx iPhone!!!

1. iPhone isn't a toy.
2. It isn't aimed at kids, either.
3. If Apple meets its projections (10 million sold by end of '08), that'll mean another 5-6 BILLION dollars of revenue in their coffers. And that's just over the next year and a half.

Like it or not, the iPhone is going to be a major business for Apple. And they're going to devote resources to it.

I just hope they aggressively hire more engineers and QA testers so this sort of thing is less likely to happen in the future. Otherwise, Apple deserves the anger they'll be getting from their base.

post #107 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

And it'll only get better.

That is, once we get the 10.4.9.1 update.

How about 10.4.10? If you think that it shouldn't past nine then the current version would be 1.0.4.9.

Moving on...

Positive things that we now know.
1) The iPhone will not be delayed.
2) I will have all the features of !0.5 at the WWDC.
post #108 of 505
Quote:

Maybe the should do an Mac OS X (10.4.A) and (10.4.B) and so on since "Leopard's" late anyway.

Woah, man, get a sedative. Is 10.4 really suddenly so awful?
post #109 of 505
So many mad and disheartened people out there. I'm a little bummed, but it's not a show stopper. I'm running 10.4.9 on the last iMac G5 and it's still strong with no noticeable slowdown (and I can still run CS2 and Office natively on PPC ).

I think Apple is sort of at a crossroads right now, trying to deal with their meteroic rise as a recognizeable consumer electronics brand. Everyone wants the iPod to evolve. Lots of people want the iPhone to get here. There's the foray into DRM-free music next month. Not to mention the development of an entirely new GUI with Multi-touch. It seems like a lot is going on behind the scenes out in Cali, but Steve has always been a shrewd businessman. We can sit here and speculate all we want and drive ourselves nuts, but truth be told, I'd much rather give Apple a break and let them iron everything out. I think we'll see some revolutionary stuff from Apple down the stretch this year ... right in time for the holidays so they you know ... make lots of money off of all this pent up craziness from people waiting to buy buy buy...

So, take your time Steve ... I'd rather you get a solid and mind-blowing OS out the door than a mind-blowing OS that we can't use because of the bugs. I've always been an early OS adopter for Apple ... I'll continue to be this time around...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
post #110 of 505
How do You know it's going to be out next Tuesday? Is there something that They're not telling Us? If so, then please back it up because I wanna know the who truth and nothing but the truth.
post #111 of 505
Quote:

How do You know it's going to be out next Tuesday? Is there something that They're not telling Us? If so, then please back it up because I wanna know the who truth and nothing but the truth.

He made a sarcastic remark. They're not joking. It'll be out in October.
post #112 of 505
That's what I'd thought, You Bugger.
post #113 of 505
Why is this article RED in the main page? Thanks!
5g iPod White 60gb (v.1:broken, v.2:broken, v.3:stolen)

1g iPod Shuffle 512mb (broken)

2g iPod Shuffle 512mb

Airport Express

14800 songs.

C2D MacBook Pro - 2.33ghz - 160gb HD - 2gb RAM (v.1:...
5g iPod White 60gb (v.1:broken, v.2:broken, v.3:stolen)

1g iPod Shuffle 512mb (broken)

2g iPod Shuffle 512mb

Airport Express

14800 songs.

C2D MacBook Pro - 2.33ghz - 160gb HD - 2gb RAM (v.1:...
post #114 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

He made a sarcastic remark. They're not joking. It'll be out in October.

Or perhaps a month earlier. Apple has a history of announcing one date and delivering =a little early. One could say it's because they'd rather you be pleasantly surprised but it's really to stave off the sales declines just prior to the new release.
post #115 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

We just got one: release in October. \

True and we can stop worrying about exactly when spring is. Or are some ppl going to quibble the dates of October now!

But I see the whole arguement of what comes after 10.4.9 is going to be solved (so please stop debating what it's going to be called). Surely they'll be at least one update in that time.
post #116 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA View Post

Why is this article RED in the main page? Thanks!

Because it's a mood forum and this article is hot. The more replies a thread gets in a short timeframe the redder the title gets.
post #117 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

given how many tens/hundreds of millions of $ Apple will lose through lost sales because of a 6 month wait, you wonder why they just dont hire a few more people to complete the damn thing already!

because throwing a few more people at the project will delay it even further

if you are interested in learning more, read The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering

with that said, anyone who hasn't expected the delay must have had their apple worshiping head in the clouds or hasn't looked at the dev seeds (i assume the latter).

WWDC is going to be disappointing this year though (from a developers perspective, as I assume their other announcements are going to be amazing)
post #118 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

i guess i have no reason to delay my mbp purchase any longer.

Well you still do. Hardware updates are still expected irrespective of this.

I know people are quick to defend Apple but marketing suggests Leopard competes with Vista. Vista will be 10 months old when Leopard gets out. I think this will put off switchers for a while because they like to look for reasons not to make a platform change.

Apple touts itself as being a company that delivers and therefore had the right to make fun of their rivals. These constant slips make them less and less deserving of their position. People are not just overreacting to this news, Apple have been making more and more mistakes and they seem to point to their attempts at new products. Perhaps they feel that after the ipod success, they can do nothing wrong.

I actually believe them when they blame the iphone because it seems like a pretty complicated device to make, especially if you are entering a new market because you have to make a great first impression. I don't have many hopes for the iphone either because I think that at the end of the day, it's a gadget that is too expensive for the majority of people and it doesn't offer enough in terms of storage. I would rather get a phone and an ipod than an iphone.

I'm not sure whether I dislike the iphone entirely though. It seems like it is being used to improve OS X and I really think it needs some streamlining. I'm not happy about the recurring reports about Leopard updates still being full of bugs though. How can this be if they still plan to have it ready for final testing by early June, just two months away?

If it will reach final by the same time we expect then I don't suppose there's all that much of a problem because we should still hear about secret features and see all the improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

The more replies a thread gets in a short timeframe the redder the title gets.

You sure it's not judging how pissed off everyone is? Red seems so appropriate in this case. As soon as I saw mention of the iphone, I knew that would just get people going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticvector

WWDC is going to be disappointing this year though (from a developers perspective, as I assume their other announcements are going to be amazing)

I can see it now:

*Jobs walks on stage*
Ok, we've got some great things for you developers over the next few months but I want to talk about the iphone...
*sound of guns being cocked*
post #119 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmail View Post

How the hell do you plan your hardware purchases around "10.5?" It's an operating system that was barely in beta!!! What kind of idiot would base a purchase off this? Seriously how many times have OSes been delayed in the last 12 years? Hundreds?

Grow up.

How is it childish to plan your hardware purchase around an OS release? Sorry you've lost me.

I need a new Mac - one which is powerful enough to let me shoot RAW photos, since my current one won't. I don't want to buy a new mac when there is a big software update just around the corner for several reasons;

1. It is nice to now that your software is still being developed - ie if I have 10.5, I will benefit from the added options Apple in in 10.5.1, 10.5.2 etc.
2. It is nice to have new, shiny software, particularly since I'll be keeping the mac on which it comes installed for several years.
3. I don't want to buy a mac and then have to shell out £129 for extra software I'd like.
4. As a donationware developer, it is handy to have the latest OS release so I can see what my software looks like for my users.

Because of all of this, I think it is a sensible decisions to wait until 10.5 is out for me to buy my new hardware. I think I am therefore entitled to be a little disappointed Webmail, since I have to wait another 4 months before I can get a new computer and shoot RAW, so to call users like me 'idiots' for planning hardware purchases around OS releases is a little short sighted.
post #120 of 505
i think the hotnews page was hacked. it doesn't show up on the front page in safari where the hotnews is listed.

hacked. (crosses fingers)

doesn't show here: http://www.apple.com/startpage/

shows here: http://www.apple.com/hotnews
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple delays Leopard release until October