or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Top secret features suspect in Apple's Leopard delay
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Top secret features suspect in Apple's Leopard delay

post #1 of 78
Thread Starter 
Apple Inc. has placed the blame for missing its self-imposed Leopard release date on its itty-bitty iPhone device, but analysts on Wall Street suspect other culprits -- such as a widely touted but so far elusive set of "top secret" features destined for the next-generation Mac OS.

"While Apple cited a shift in resources to iPhone and more time for developers to beta test as reasons for the delay, our analysis indicates that if not for the 'secret' features, the core Leopard operating system would likely have shipped on time," American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu told clients on Friday. "We believe the extra time Apple is allocating is for developers to test secret features that will likely be revealed at its WWDC 2007 conference starting on June 11, 2007."

Gene Munster, a Sr. Analyst over at PiperJaffray, was similarly suspect of Apple's explanation, but chose to note the irony of the situation as it relates to rival Microsoft Corp. rather than point the finger at any one Apple initiative. "While we are not convinced the delay is entirely related to the iPhone, the important part is we believe Apple's product development remains robust, and the iPhone, Leopard, and other new products (announced in June) are coming," he wrote in a note to Apple investors. "Despite the PR black-eye Apple will get from delaying Leopard (given Apple routinely chastises Microsoft for product delays), the announcement included that Apple will release the iPhone on time in June."

Acknowledging that there are few certainties when it comes to specific release dates for high-profile Apple products, Munster said he sees the company's statement, while disappointing on the Leopard front, as a likely means of boosting confidence in a June arrival of the iPhone. "Apples track record at getting hardware out on time is hit or miss, as evidence by the recent one month slip of Apple TV," he said. "Apple's statement specified late June as the launch date of the iPhone, but Apple may deliver it earlier at the Worldwide Developers Conference, which begins on June 11."

Unlike Wu, who recently told clients that some prospective Mac buyers had already begun withholding their new computer purchases in anticipation of Leopard, Munster said he has observed "little-to-no delay" in that regard. In his note to clients, the PiperJaffray analyst said he believes Leopard is poised to serve as a catalyst for Mac sales whenever Apple gets around to shipping it. For the meantime, he's shifted an estimated 8 cents in earnings-per-share (or 2.6 percent) from the June '07 and Sept. '07 quarters into the Dec. '07 and March '08 quarters.

For his part, Wu said his recent reduction in near-term Mac assumptions already reflects the risk exposed by Leopard's delay. "We believe consensus sell-side estimates continue to be unsurprisingly aggressive and need to reset closer to ours," he told clients. "We view this delay in Leopard and reset in sell-side estimates as short-term issues. We see worst case downside risk to $80-85."
post #2 of 78
The stock is taking nowhere near a hit as I thought it would.
Are traders getting smarter?
post #3 of 78
I am a buyer at 80.
post #4 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

The stock is taking nowhere near a hit as I thought it would.
Are traders getting smarter?

No, they either (a) don't see Leopard as a big money-maker, and, as such, weren't planning on it having much of an effect on sales, and/or (b) WWDC is still months away, and traders tend not to get all excited over things 2 weeks away, let alone 2 months.

But I'm just seeing this as more confirmation of my belief that the "super secret features" Jobs announced way back when were first heard about at apple at the same time, and they've been pushing the past nine months to come up with ideas to match the hype, then program them.
post #5 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

I am a buyer at 80.

Ha! I'm a buyer at $12. Before it split!

Then again, I'm also a seller at $25, so I guess it doesn't count, huh?
post #6 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

No, they either (a) don't see Leopard as a big money-maker, and, as such, weren't planning on it having much of an effect on sales, and/or (b) WWDC is still months away, and traders tend not to get all excited over things 2 weeks away, let alone 2 months.

Leopard will certainly be source of revenue and profit, it's just the iPhone is even more important, especially to investors -- it's a potential opportunity for *massive* growth into an emerging market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

But I'm just seeing this as more confirmation of my belief that the "super secret features" Jobs announced way back when were first heard about at apple at the same time, and they've been pushing the past nine months to come up with ideas to match the hype, then program them.

I don't think I agree.

Aqua was a 2-year project.

If Apple is indeed planning a considerable UI refresh (as many, many, many hints suggest) they will have almost certainly started well before even Tiger's release date.

These kinds of things take a lot of time.

The 4 mo. delay seems to me more than anything the need to get the iPhone out on time (QA especially is a limited resource, and more OS X engineers than expected may been needed for the iPhone OS) *and* give developers time to tweak their apps for a very refreshed OS that pushes the envelope in design.
post #7 of 78
as long as they are working to work issues out i dont have a problem, as long as leopard does not come out like vista i dont have a problem, vista should really be pull out of the shelves really i still can't believe that a company like msft can never get things right, i also dont like when apple rush stuff out like the new airport extreme, its like every week there trying to fix something diffenrent on it and on the one embeded in the machines, but at least there doing something and is getting better everytime
post #8 of 78
Yesterday's announcement stated that Leopard will be delayed a few months but it also stated that iPhone will be on time. Of the two, the iPhone will undoubtedly generate more direct revenue and indirect revenue, such as people whose first introduction to OS X is the iPhone who then switch to Mac, than the Mac platform would. I believe teh stock is holding because it's only the Chicken Little, Mac-fanatics who are crying foul and who think that Apple has lost its focus.

I'm looking forward to the iPhone's timely release and personally know several longtime Windows users who have been afraid to switch OS platforms who are ready to test the OS X waters with the iPhone.

PS: For the first time in my life I'm really starting to hate Apple fans. Every year the hysteria seems to grow. The outcries over AppleTV's delay, the switch to Intel chips, the removal of "computer" from the name, etc.

But why all this irrational behavior? This isn't the first time Apple focused on another product short-term in order to help increase Mac sales long-term: original iPod. Or bit off more than it could chew with its OS to meet some self-imposed deadline: Lisa, OS 10.0.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

But I'm just seeing this as more confirmation of my belief that the "super secret features" Jobs announced way back when were first heard about at apple at the same time, and they've been pushing the past nine months to come up with ideas to match the hype, then program them.

Do you seriously believe that? Jobs went on stage and announced secret features which didn't exist beyond his head or even at all?

That sounds far-fetched in the extreme.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #10 of 78
What will these amazing "secret features" be?

iClock that doubles as a walkie-talkie or a superdrive that shoots poison dars? Or both?

The stock price isn't moving because nobody wants to look like an ass when iPhone gets great reviews and lots of orders or terrible reviews and tanks. Imagine what an exploding battery in the first few weeks would do to people's jeans and confidence. Or if the 5 hours of talktime per charge that apple claims on the non-user replaceably battery turns out to be closer to 4, and a month later 3... Or maybe a delay of a few months, or Cingular screws up somehow, or the terms of the 2 year agreement are as ridiculous as they probably will be. Or, conversely, it might be like Jesus in your pocket, answering your phone calls and playing your favorite christian rock albums perfectly and automatically finding the woman of your dreams at the club using wifi and your myspace profile. Nobody knows, but one way or another, the stock will move seriously when it arrives...
post #11 of 78
Yeah, they need the extra four months to finish developing all the drivers that will ship with OSX 10.5 non-Apple hardware edition.

I said it in this forum and others that WWDC will see only the beta and developers getting the build seeds have stated WWDC would be the soonest they'd expect a release.
post #12 of 78
Yeah, add me to the list that these guys are guessing wrong, and that the Leopard top secret features are already nearly finished.

But this is the summer of the iPhone. Either rush out Leopard soon with some serious core/ quicktime issues, or hold off for Fall. Because nothing shall compete with the iPhone.

Not to mention, the back-to-school buying season is big enough to not require a new OS to spur sales. But the October quarter, on the other hand, has suffered slightly.
post #13 of 78
If they are THAT secret and THAT troublesome I wonder if the secret features have to do with Windows virtualisation.
post #14 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

If they are THAT secret and THAT troublesome I wonder if the secret features have to do with Windows virtualisation.

There are enough critical, core problems with Leopard as it is. What makes you think RedBox is the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yeah, they need the extra four months to finish developing all the drivers that will ship with OSX 10.5 non-Apple hardware edition.

I seriously hope you are joking!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #15 of 78
It's time for Mac users to admit that the whole delay was so Apple could perfect BootCamp after all!

post #16 of 78
When Leopard gets released will we have to pay to update the Tiger OS for Leopard?
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
post #17 of 78
Isn't it odd that only a few short weeks ago Apple publicly stated that 10.5 would be released on time? It doesn't add up that the iPhone would, all of a sudden, cause that timetable to change by four months when the iPhone is only two months away.

There has been suspicion that the "secret features" are hardware-related and any revelation of them will cause a product disclosure that Apple is holding very closely. This new announcement fits with that speculation if, in fact, there is some new top secret hardware that Apple is hiding and is delayed itself. Also, it could point to an all-new UI change as some have speculated as well and a major glitch was recently found that has set it back substantially.
post #18 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are enough critical, core problems with Leopard as it is. What makes you think RedBox is the issue?


I seriously hope you are joking!



I bet you were one that hoped that Apple going with Intel processors was a joke.
post #19 of 78
I hate the secret features. It's such a set-up for a huge let down, and now with this delay it's only going to be worse, even if they do get shown at WWDC ("You mean we have to wait an extra four months for that? Apple sucks!")

I mean, really, it's such a dumb way to proceed, from a marketing perspective, to float "secret features" and then let everybody stew about that for the better part of a year. By the time you get something out the door people are expecting jaw-dropping magic. What's the upside of doing it this way? Are people going to not upgrade to Vista cause the heard tell maybe Apple might be doing something rad so they figured they would wait and see?

So Apple better actually have jay-dropping magic, or they'll come off as silly and a little crazy. Which probably won't affect the sales of 10.5 one way or the other, but it doesn't help Apple's image, and it's all so very pointless.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #20 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I mean, really, it's such a dumb way to proceed, from a marketing perspective, to float "secret features" and then let everybody stew about that for the better part of a year. By the time you get something out the door people are expecting jaw-dropping magic. What's the upside of doing it this way?

There was comment at Macworld that based on what was shown by Jobs on 10.5 it didn't look like a big upgrade over 10.4. The "more to come" statement might have been there to reassure the faithful that it's going to be better and not as disappointing as it might have been perceived to be.
post #21 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post



I bet you were one that hoped that Apple going with Intel processors was a joke.

Why would Apple moving to Intel be a joke? IBM wasn't moving fast enough and the notebook line (the fastest growing segment of personal computers) was dragging far behind. I predicted the jump a year before it was announced Though I assumed AMD would be chosen glad I was wrong on that end.

How exactly do you equate Apple moving to Intel a sign that Apple will release OS X to run on any x86 hardware? There is absolutely no correlation! Apple makes it's money from selling hardware. Its loyal fan base is mainly derived from the simplicity and integration that can only come from tight integration of the OS with the hardware.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

There has been suspicion that the "secret features" are hardware-related and any revelation of them will cause a product disclosure that Apple is holding very closely.


Could this be it?

I'm not a developer so someone else will have to it explore this, but could a hardware problem be behind the "bugginess" and "crashing" problems that have been widely cited?


Still, Occam's Razor suggests that it is as simple as Apple says it is. A resources problem.

And while I have no desire for an iPhone, I understand that Apple stands to make much more money from an iPhone or an iPod than they will from an OS.

Sad but true.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #23 of 78
I think Shaw Wu is a little too prone to go easy on Apple, but the theory seems credible.

Yes, I do fear that Jobs would say "Top Secret" features that would amount to little additional value, bullet-point features that were not significant. Moreover, I would say that Jobs presentation didn't put a major emphasis on this, but the press, the fans, the reaction did put extreme pressure for them to be substantial.

However, I have been wondering about this for months: if zero details have leaked in beta builds, what is Apple doing if they are significant?

It made sense that they had a separate branch of builds and they were relying solely on internal testing/bug fixing. Not only does this add additional strain on Apple since they are the sole "fixers" of these features, but it adds strain on reconciling the builds and potential bugs that arise when merging the feature sets.

And since builds have remained buggy or have even gained bugs, I started to believe this theory. With the 3 month delay, I believe it more so. So now, my hopes are renewed that what was billed as "top secret" could truly be significant. And it gives WWDC an opportunity to be about these additional features. (And I don't think any of these features would involve singificant UI changes -- those, beyond abilities to use CoreAnimation and related technology-based UIs within the existing UI, are best tested in the beta/developer community. Or straightforward cosmetic changes, as in the latest build of the Finder, I wouldn't rate as significant new UI updates.)

Having formed this theory and believed it, I was wondering whether or not it was a mistake: not letting the community know, not letting developers in on the features, adding strain to developing some features entirely internally... for the gain of maintaining a secret and having a surprise? And this I think has bared out... It is this philosophy that I am concerned about: not iPhone or Leopard development in general.

"Isn't it odd that only a few short weeks ago Apple publicly stated that 10.5 would be released on time? It doesn't add up that the iPhone would, all of a sudden, cause that timetable to change by four months when the iPhone is only two months away."

I don't think so. I think it's perfectly legitimate to believe this has been a major concern and is probably the biggest issue at the top of the company. I'd wager they have been having routine meetings asking can we make this schedule, can we make this schedule? And the devs are probably saying: it'll be tight and a little buggy, but yeah, yeah... And I'd wager that they have a release schedule around hitting WWDC for Leopard, iPhone after it, and they have been scheduling hardware around this schedule.

And it finally got to a point where it was evident that a frenzied dev cycle, buggy products wasn't worth hitting their intended schedule. Changing the schedule by a few weeks or a month would just add further risk of another delay and would push the whole schedule back. October can simply be a buffer to allow a safe amount of time, free of other delays. And also it may incorporate other product releases around it, changing the schedule entirely (i.e. instead of delaying hardware for Leopard, they can now update hardware ahead of Leopard's release.)

Conversely to your theory, which I haven't heard, finally deciding to delay frees them from Wall Street pressures and more importantly frees up their scheduling of hardware to coincide with these software/major releases. Now they are free to release new iMacs and notebooks anytime they want between now and October. I'd wager they have new hardware ready that they were stalling simply because Leopard seemed eminent. Now they are actual free to have a less constrained hardware release schedule.
post #24 of 78
BTW, here is a pic courtesy of LoopRumors that purports to show the Leopard UI.

Enjoy.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #25 of 78
Apple's stock barely took a hit. It's above $90 with barely an hour before closing. No more than some other extreme day of trading.

-=|Mgkwho
post #26 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

as long as they are working to work issues out i dont have a problem, as long as leopard does not come out like vista i dont have a problem, vista should really be pull out of the shelves really i still can't believe that a company like msft can never get things right, i also dont like when apple rush stuff out like the new airport extreme, its like every week there trying to fix something diffenrent on it and on the one embeded in the machines, but at least there doing something and is getting better everytime

Well said! I think I saw a couple of commas in there somewhere.
post #27 of 78
1. New interface. (if they don't they look old compared to Vista)

2. Theme Engine, Customizable desktop environments (Linux and Vista have them)

3. 3D Desktops. (Linux has it, not great but it works)

4. Virtualization, Think Parallel or VMware. (Boot Camp doesn't cut it)

5. iLife gets added to OS. (This one ups Vista)

6. Media Extender. (Connect AppleTV to OS) (Vista has it with Xbox)

These things take time and will blow Vista out of the water!
post #28 of 78
Yea the fact that the stock has taken much of a hit is very impressive.

However I would have thought an explanation as this story suggests that added secret features is the real reason for the delay would have been a far better excuse than they focused more on getting out the iPhone.

In reality (and MHO) the iPhone probably would have benefited more from the added development time (ie 3G capabilities, removable memory, removable battery, built on Panther, Cingulairs full switch back to AT&T wireless). Any additions to Panther that still needed to be worked on could have easily been added via updates.
post #29 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

BTW, here is a pic courtesy of LoopRumors that purports to show the Leopard UI.

Enjoy.

Looks amazingly similar to the finder in 10.4.8......

Edit. It does have a browse button next to the action button and the edges are square while mine have subtle rounded effect. Otherwise I don't see an earth shattering difference. Hopefully it will perform better, that's all that really matters, and make Groverat happy.
post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

There was comment at Macworld that based on what was shown by Jobs on 10.5 it didn't look like a big upgrade over 10.4. The "more to come" statement might have been there to reassure the faithful that it's going to be better and not as disappointing as it might have been perceived to be.

Exactly my point. Jobs shows off Leopard, doesn't get the "You're the best ever!" feeling from the crowd, so he makes up the "secret features" to get people hoping that there's more to this OS update then a backup application and some updates to existing apps.
post #31 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySpy View Post

1. New interface. (if they don't they look old compared to Vista)

2. Theme Engine, Customizable desktop environments (Linux and Vista have them)

3. 3D Desktops. (Linux has it, not great but it works)

4. Virtualization, Think Parallel or VMware. (Boot Camp doesn't cut it)

5. iLife gets added to OS. (This one ups Vista)

6. Media Extender. (Connect AppleTV to OS) (Vista has it with Xbox)

These things take time and will blow Vista out of the water!

Sorry, but a new UI is not necessarily a "feature". Plus, items 1 and 2 lay the groundwork for some severe compatibility problems with various third-party software that will require them to spend time actually using the new super-secret features (hey, that was one of the reasons I always thought June was pushing it...) Also, a new UI only leads to more inconsistencies and bugs in an OS that's already got enough that apple hasn't fixed.

Number 3 is just a redefine of number 1, so I don't think it counts as a bullet. Plus, I don't think people will look at a 3D desktop and say "Thank god apple delayed leopard for this!".

Virtualization may be nice for some, but is Jobs really going to come out and basically admit that people NEED windows in life, OS X is just secondary, so we're giving you this ability built-in. Plus, there's a huge problem with the idea. Who's paying $2000 for a new laptop, then forking over another $200 for a copy of Windows? Might as well get a $1500 Wintel laptop.

iLife re-integration will NOT occur. Its too much of a cash cow for Apple. Plus, what of all those people out there who don't want to pay the iLife tax on OS X because they don't use most of it (iPhoto has probably the biggest usage amongst it all, and after that, I would think it falls way down to single-digit percent of users). Plus, I certainly wouldn't call that worthy of the hype, since everyone knows about iLife.

And doesn't OS X already connect to Apple TV? And why would we want this?

Sorry, but nothing you mentioned seems like a "Vista" killer (more then vista is a vista killer).
post #32 of 78
When people say "there's not much to Leopard" without providing a proper context you automatically know you're dealing with an idiot.

Leopard is a huge update. It's just Apple hasn't divulged much on their main apple.com/macosx page other than some superficial stuff. In fact that page is do dumbed down peope actually think Core Animation is some "Cover Flow" on steroids.

That's exactly what Apple wants. They want to keep the rank and file consumer in a fog. They'll show the basics of a feature and only the people who are willing to dig a bit will truly undersand the ramifications of that feature.

If Apple says "feature XXX allows on the fly scaling of UI elements" the consumer won't understand. However show a consumer Expose in action and they freaking understand the benefit.

The Top Secret features could be delaying Leopard but in reality I htink it's a confluence of factors that have contributed to the delay. Leopard is a HUGE update that needs to work correctly upon launch.

You can point to almost any pain point in Tiger and Leopard has a fix.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #33 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgegavel View Post

Yea the fact that the stock has taken much of a hit is very impressive.

However I would have thought an explanation as this story suggests that added secret features is the real reason for the delay would have been a far better excuse than they focused more on getting out the iPhone.

In reality (and MHO) the iPhone probably would have benefited more from the added development time (ie 3G capabilities, removable memory, removable battery, built on Panther, Cingulairs full switch back to AT&T wireless). Any additions to Panther that still needed to be worked on could have easily been added via updates.


Not really. Its very clear that a delay in 10.5 will have minimal effect on the bottom line, which is hardware driven. People will still buy the hardware they need AND Apple has CS3 coming out to boost near-term demand. This approach is also boosted by the lack-luster reception and content of Vista. They have more time here than in the iPhone market.

OTH a iPhone delay will have a very serious effect on the bottom line as that's a delay in hardware sales, Apple's business, along with credibility of getting into a new market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Exactly my point. Jobs shows off Leopard, doesn't get the "You're the best ever!" feeling from the crowd, so he makes up the "secret features" to get people hoping that there's more to this OS update then a backup application and some updates to existing apps.

All I can say is glad you're not running my company. That kind of thinking gets you killed and almost never adds value. Don't forget that the bulk of the improvements revealed in Leopard to date are for the future, the 'Core' frameworks, and Apple knows that well. They could easily have positioned it that way and done quite well with pushing for new applications using those frameworks..
post #34 of 78
About secret features being so great. Go back and look at the disappointment after the iPod release. The chatter was all about how Steve had let us down after proclaiming the promise to release a life changing product. The faithful responded by accusing Jobs of having bullshited us and that yawn all they did was release a me too mp3 player.

Well it did take a little while to reach 100,000,000 in sales and now we hear projections of it besting the walkman by having the potential to reach 500,000,000 units sold. Considering this I won't be at all surprised to to hear a large collective yawn when we hear what is supposedly so special.

5 years from now we can look back and judge wether Jobs the statements where founded. But we all know that Leopard won't be able to teleport us and so many geeks are bound to say what a disapointment. I'm counting on yawning all the way to the bank as Apple disappoints us again by changing the landscape while we can't even see it for it's subtly.
post #35 of 78
"However I would have thought an explanation as this story suggests that added secret features is the real reason for the delay would have been a far better excuse than they focused more on getting out the iPhone."

I disagree. The "features" would have been always planned and should have been a part of their development schedule. Using it as an excuse would have been the equivalent of: we couldn't get it done in time and/or it was a bad idea to try to keep these things quiet and separate from current dev builds.
post #36 of 78
Quote:
…Unlike Wu, who recently told clients that some prospective Mac buyers had already begun withholding their new computer purchases in anticipation of Leopard, Munster said he has observed "little-to-no delay" in that regard…

When bullshit collides…
post #37 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: For the first time in my life I'm really starting to hate Apple fans. Every year the hysteria seems to grow. The outcries over AppleTV's delay, the switch to Intel chips, the removal of "computer" from the name, etc.

But why all this irrational behavior? This isn't the first time Apple focused on another product short-term in order to help increase Mac sales long-term: original iPod. Or bit off more than it could chew with its OS to meet some self-imposed deadline: Lisa, OS 10.0.

Don't worry about it. It's just the effect of the internet amplifying things. Anonymous fanboys (I count myself as one ) flaming each other on the internet has little relation to what happens in the real world. In the real world nobody cares. Apple stock is still riding high, and most analysts are just going "meh".

For every insane person who swears they are never going to buy another Apple product because of this, or refuse to buy a new Mac until 10.5 is released (yeah, because $129 is a real deal breaker ) there are countless Mac customers who either don't know or don't care about the delay.

Ultimately, next year most people will have forgotten that there even was a delay, much in the same way that the 10.0 was delayed by about a year.
post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


The Top Secret features could be delaying Leopard but in reality I think it's a confluence of factors that have contributed to the delay. Leopard is a HUGE update that needs to work correctly upon launch.


The SEC investigation of Steve Jobs pushed him to mention the "secret features" of Leopard (which he didn't show because they didn't exist then or were so preliminary that they didn't make it into the alpha code of Leopard) and show a prototype of the iPhone a full 6 months before launch, contrary to Apple policy of not discussing unannounced products.

The purpose of Steve Jobs premature disclosures at MWSF was to change headlines from the SEC criminal investigation into the backdating of Apple stock options (at the request of Steve Jobs to favor his pet Vice Presidents) to a more favorable, speculative buzz about the iPhone and the "secret features" of Leopard.

Leopard's delay shows that Apple is unable to deliver on all the hype generated by Steve Jobs to take attention away from the ongoing SEC criminal investigation.

And yes, the delay of Leopard will have a negative impact on the sale of new Macs.

post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why would Apple moving to Intel be a joke? IBM wasn't moving fast enough and the notebook line (the fastest growing segment of personal computers) was dragging far behind. I predicted the jump a year before it was announced Though I assumed AMD would be chosen glad I was wrong on that end.

AMD was kicking Intel's butt around at the time Apple made its decision to go Intel. Why are you glad they didn't choose AMD? AMD processors are still very competitive with Intel's offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How exactly do you equate Apple moving to Intel a sign that Apple will release OS X to run on any x86 hardware? There is absolutely no correlation! Apple makes it's money from selling hardware. Its loyal fan base is mainly derived from the simplicity and integration that can only come from tight integration of the OS with the hardware.

There's no correlation??? OSX now runs on Intel chips which 70% of the worlds PCs use. Hmm.

Apple purposely, through hardware and software, disallows users from installing the Intel version of OSX on non-Apple hardware. Yet hackers have bypassed those locks.

Yes, Apple makes most of their money on hardware. The iPod brought in the majority of Apple net profit last quarter. The AppleTV and iPhone will help to dwarf their reliance on Mac hardware sales. Now they can spread the love to non-Apple hardware and start to switch to a higher margin software sales.

It is Bootcamp in reverse. Dual boot your Dell, HP, or Gateway with the MacOS and Windows for $129.00 a pop.
post #40 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

The SEC investigation of Steve Jobs pushed him to mention the "secret features" of Leopard (which he didn't show because they didn't exist then or were so preliminary that they didn't make it into the alpha code of Leopard) and show a prototype of the iPhone a full 6 months before launch, contrary to Apple policy of not discussing unannounced products.

The purpose of Steve Jobs premature disclosures at MWSF was to change headlines from the SEC criminal investigation into the backdating of Apple stock options (at the request of Steve Jobs to favor his pet Vice Presidents) to a more favorable, speculative buzz about the iPhone and the "secret features" of Leopard.

Leopard's delay shows that Apple is unable to deliver on all the hype generated by Steve Jobs to take attention away from the ongoing SEC criminal investigation.

And yes, the delay of Leopard will have a negative impact on the sale of new Macs.


There's a stretch. Welcome to the conspiracy theorist's club.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Top secret features suspect in Apple's Leopard delay