or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › End of April...

End of April...

post #1 of 28
I was considering getting an iMac up to the point of actually ordering it...
When I saw that the printer deal ends April 23rd.

So I got curious and went to the Special Deals section on the Apple Store and noticed the following:

Norton Anti-Virus - Deal Ends April 21
. Mac Rebate - Deal Ends April 23
Printer Rebate - Deal Ends April 23

That means almost all the special offers will be over within two days at the end of April. Usually when a deal ends it means a change in the product it involves.

Im thinking that a .Mac and Mac hardware update will happen before the WWDC
Anybody think the same?
post #2 of 28
Apple sells Anti-Virus software? Isn't that a bit Off Message?!
post #3 of 28
when those rebates end have nothing to do with new products. Apple always renews those rebates right when they end and has been doing so the past few quarters.
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispie View Post

You know, I never got that either ^_^

Very good observation, though, tkelly.
alldaydrive.com
.rock.
alldaydrive.com
.rock.
post #5 of 28
Quote:

what it basically does is .. when you get an email with virus attached from your PC owning friends...zapps it so you dont pass it on to your other PC owning friends

or indeed if your a switcher used to PCs you think you HAVE to get anti virus software... norton will be happy to take your money... as would i... im sure i offer about as much protection
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

what it basically does is .. when you get an email with virus attached from your PC owning friends...zapps it so you dont pass it on to your other PC owning friends

or indeed if your a switcher used to PCs you think you HAVE to get anti virus software... norton will be happy to take your money... as would i... im sure i offer about as much protection

Macs can still pass PC viruses on in word and other pc files.
post #7 of 28
Quote:

Worse yet, it the worst Anti-Virus product. I'd recommend anything else besides Norton Anti-Virus.
post #8 of 28
the 23rd of April is a monday ..........

and is this security patch the start of the updates proceding a hardware release ??????

wheres rongold when you need him
classic imac g3 (ebay bargin) working my way up the Apple ladder..........
Ipod 5G black
big credit card debit when new hardware and osx come out (misses beat me to it big dreams of apple now)
Ipod 5G black
big credit card debit when new hardware and osx come out (misses beat me to it big dreams of apple now)
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2 View Post

the 23rd of April is a monday ..........

and is this security patch the start of the updates proceding a hardware release ??????

wheres rongold when you need him

Security updates hapen every month. That part means nothing.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Worse yet, it the worst Anti-Virus product. I'd recommend anything else besides Norton Anti-Virus.

Actually, I think using nothing is better than using Norton. Better to run a computer "naked" than wearing Norton's new clothes. From what I've seen, Norton AV just causes more problems than it solves.
post #11 of 28
Quote:

Apple's message isn't that Macs are immune to viruses. They are pretty careful to avoid that, they say something to the effect that Macs are more secure against viruses. Unfortunately, people misinterpret what Apple's ads and lit such that they think that Macs can't get viruses. It's subtle, but they are two different things.
post #12 of 28

End of April: that is close to May 1st, right?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=73829

post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Actually, I think using nothing is better than using Norton. Better to run a computer "naked" than wearing Norton's new clothes. From what I've seen, Norton AV just causes more problems than it solves.

That dittos my sentiments exactly, but some people prefer to have AV software. Of course they don't realize that your SOL if you get infected before the new virus definitions come out. It's better to have a backup solution than AV software IMHO.

I also run my Macs without any AV.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelly View Post

Im thinking that a .Mac and Mac hardware update will happen before the WWDC
Anybody think the same?

May 1st is a Tuesday.

post #15 of 28
santa rosa CPUs are releasing on May 9th

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

santa rosa CPUs are releasing on May 9th

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://computershopper.com/shoptalk/2007/03/07/intel_centrino_pro_set_to_laun

A year ago today, Intel officially outlined the development of its new Santa Rosa platform, which will be branded as the Centrino Pro. While the company has only offered a somewhat-vague time frame for the launch of its new chipset--"the first half of 2007" is the official word--our sources have indicated that the 4th-generation Centrino is set to be unveiled on May 9th. Along with the chipset itself, we expect to see coinciding Centrino Pro-based product launches on that date as well.

I'm willing to bet that an Apple product will be one of those "coinciding Centrino Pro-based product launches".

Now comes the crazy stuff:
The day before is May 8th, a Tuesday. No perfect time to announce updated iMacs and Mac Minis (not design, just guts) to go along with the new processor coming out the next day. Perfect timing too. No rebates for anyone to get a printer to go along with that. A rush of people will still go out and buy the updated computers.

Of course thirty-two days later, on June 11, there will be an even better release of a new design for the iMacs, Mac Minis, and Mac Books to go along with the new iPhone. Sending yet another rush of people to buy the new updated computers.

Or maybe I'm looking too into it...
post #17 of 28
I don't think Apple will be releasing anything around the time of the iPhone. It would distract from it, and Apple wants every last eyeball on the planet to be glued to the iPhone.

I'd agree Santa Rosa/Penryn iMacs, MacBook Pros, MacBooks, and probably the mini during May.

Then there's enough time to regrow the arm and leg.
post #18 of 28
there was an aperture update on friday ............

see what monday brings ?????
Ipod 5G black
Ipod 5G black
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnuff1 View Post

when those rebates end have nothing to do with new products. Apple always renews those rebates right when they end and has been doing so the past few quarters.

I guess jsnuff was right. The rebates were increased until July 23rd. I also hope that he's right about the fact that it has nothing to do with new products. I don't want to wait until July 23rd...
post #20 of 28
I am thinking that major new rev's are coming at the WWDC. Yeah they are going to talk about Leopard but for a full 90 minutes? I think they are going to have time to squeeze in 30-45 minutes of new hardware introductions + new versions of the iLife suite too.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I am thinking that major new rev's are coming at the WWDC. Yeah they are going to talk about Leopard — but for a full 90 minutes? I think they are going to have time to squeeze in 30-45 minutes of new hardware introductions + new versions of the iLife suite too.

Apple usually doesn't go off-message like that. They talk to developers about things that are related to the development process. New hardware can fit development, but iLife does not. Not that I think it's likely, they might talk about third party development systems for iPod & iPhone, and I'm a little more certain they will talk about Xcode 3, Obj C 2 etc.
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755

I am thinking that major new rev's are coming at the WWDC. Yeah they are going to talk about Leopard — but for a full 90 minutes? I think they are going to have time to squeeze in 30-45 minutes of new hardware introductions + new versions of the iLife suite too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Apple usually doesn't go off-message like that. They talk to developers about things that are related to the development process. New hardware can fits development, but iLife does not. Not that I think it's likely, they might talk about third party development systems for iPod & iPhone, and I'm a little more certain they will talk about Xcode 3, Obj C 2 etc.

iLife '03, introduced at Macworld Conference & Expo on January 3, 2003
iLife '04, introduced at Macworld Conference & Expo on January 6, 2004
iLife '05, introduced at Macworld Conference & Expo on January 11, 2005
iLife '06, introduced at Macworld Conference & Expo on January 10, 2006

yea, based on the pattern I'd say no iLife at the WWDC.

But hardware releases of Mac Pros and iMacs have occured.
With past iMacs they havent gone into as much detail, just updates.
With Mac Pros, they have.
But i doubt we'd see a Mac Pro update...
post #23 of 28
Apple was set to announce a new iMac at WWDC along with displays in 2004. This is the current form factor cinema display and iMac (sans iSight of course). As you will recall, Apple ended up messing up, and had to announce that the new iMac wasn't ready yet. I believe an insufficient supply of the G5 chip was to blame for the delay.
post #24 of 28
Quote:

I am thinking that major new rev's are coming at the WWDC. Yeah they are going to talk about Leopard but for a full 90 minutes? I think they are going to have time to squeeze in 30-45 minutes of new hardware introductions + new versions of the iLife suite too.

I too believe that we will see new hardware at WWDC, and most probably iMacs. Let's not forget also the little bird thread and a more recent report from AI. Although little bird's credibility is ruined at least as far as the time frame is concerned, the AI report comes to support the substance of the rumor about a new iMac design.
post #25 of 28
Quote:

As you will recall, Apple ended up messing up, and had to announce that the new iMac wasn't ready yet. I believe an insufficient supply of the G5 chip was to blame for the delay.

Yes, I remember, the general consensus was that the G5 was the problem. IBM had some trouble to lower the power of the G5s so that they could be used in a slim machine like the iMac that Apple had still under the wraps. They managed it somehow but the first run was rather problematic (heat issues and fan noise).

And you sure remember all this rage 2-3 years ago about a G5 Powerbook. How silly does it looks today.
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

I too believe that we will see new hardware at WWDC, and most probably iMacs. Let's not forget also the little bird thread and a more recent report from AI. Although little bird's credibility is ruined at least as far as the time frame is concerned, the AI report comes to support the substance of the rumor about a new iMac design.

i'm trying to envision a dramatically redesigned iMac. the only dramatic redesign i can imagine would be an iMac with minimal or even no frame, where the screen goes to the edge of the computer. i have no idea whether that's possible, but it would certainly be interesting. more useful would be a sunflower-type base, which i still miss. geting rid of the chin wouldn't be particularl dramatic; the iMac would just look like any other monitor.
post #27 of 28
i know it wont happen but i would love the 20/24 to come in silver like the pro screens and drop height so that the imac and the 20inch screen are the same height for dual screen work.

ahh i can dream
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunismine13 View Post

i know it wont happen but i would love the 20/24 to come in silver like the pro screens and drop height so that the imac and the 20inch screen are the same height for dual screen work.

ahh i can dream

yes, you can lol
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › End of April...