or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV, whats it like after living with it for a while?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple TV, whats it like after living with it for a while?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
basically what the thread title says

now that you have had the Apple TV for a while, what are your thoughts about using it day to day?

better than you thought? worse?
useful?
usless?
hacked?

cheers
post #2 of 11
I find it pretty much useless. Borrowed one for a while off a friend and to be honest handed it back laughing.

I bought an Apple DVI to Video adpater for £15.99, then a phono to phono lead for £1 then a 3.5mm mini jack to 2 phono lead for £2. Total = £18.99.

I hooked my MacBook Pro up to my TV and hey presto! whatever I want on my tellivision, even the internet (if I want to squint) although the new glasses are a help.

Until the Apple TV drops in price to say at least £100-£150 and they put a bigger hard drive in it I dunno, it seems like a limp poor excuse to try and get people to fork out for what is essentially allready in place.

That worked with the iPod in terms of marketing but Apple! we have learned the error of our ways. I will be holding off untill they release the iPod version of the iPhone. However, Final cut studio 2

OH YES!!! - to heck with debt, I'm going deeper underground!!
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmation View Post

I find it pretty much useless. Borrowed one for a while off a friend and to be honest handed it back laughing.

I bought an Apple DVI to Video adpater for £15.99, then a phono to phono lead for £1 then a 3.5mm mini jack to 2 phono lead for £2. Total = £18.99.

I hooked my MacBook Pro up to my TV and hey presto! whatever I want on my tellivision, even the internet (if I want to squint) although the new glasses are a help.

Until the Apple TV drops in price to say at least £100-£150 and they put a bigger hard drive in it I dunno, it seems like a limp poor excuse to try and get people to fork out for what is essentially allready in place.

That worked with the iPod in terms of marketing but Apple! we have learned the error of our ways. I will be holding off untill they release the iPod version of the iPhone. However, Final cut studio 2

OH YES!!! - to heck with debt, I'm going deeper underground!!

The thing is, I don't want to move my laptop and plug in a load of wires every time I want to watch something on TV. Sure, it's what I do now, and it's cheaper, but a permanent streaming solution would be an order of magnitude more convenient.

Amorya
post #4 of 11
I'm enjoying mine. iTunes music on the home theater in the den is new to us and something we are enjoying.

More HD content is a must if this will product will be a hit. I believe the content will follow. Not sure how they are going to overcome the download times.
post #5 of 11
I guess you guys are right. in certain situations the Apple TV probably makes a great invention. One thing I forgot to add to my first post was that it's a shame TV shows arent available on the iTunes store for the UK yet.

THAT would make it very good. I guess the other thing is how much it's aimed at HDTV. I can't see any near future where I have the money to buy such an elaborate piece of equipment (yes, my MacBook Pro is that but I use it to earn money).

I guess it's very much an item of "If you need it, buy it, if you don't, don't"

I'll not be buying one anytime soon, not becuase I think it is a bad product, just that without too much fuss I can replicate it.

But I guess all this is getting away from Trendannoyers original question, what is everyones first experiences of it like?

When I tried it out at home, I thought it was ok. I think in heindsight I used it for a few days just thinking "But I can do this allready" so maybe I am not the best person to comment.
post #6 of 11
Had mine since the day they shipped and I love it. It's become a fixture in my Home Theater just like my DirecTV HD-DVR, XBox360 and Wii. Each serves a unique purpose:

Satellite for regular TV viewing
XBox360 for HD Games
Wii for fun & family Games
AppleTV for video Podcasts (now on par with TV shows), Music, Photos, and Movies (especially all of my daughter's Disney flicks etc. which I've encoded for AppleTV.)

Even if there is no more movie content, the Apple TV is worth it for me. I keep searching for more great video Podcasts, but I generally tune in to Apple TV a few times each week to catch up on GeekBrief, CNet, Diggnation, Gametrailers, National Geographic, Mac Most and a few others. When I'm done, my wife enjoys dialing up music with easier control than using our Airport Express, thanks to the on-screen display. Then, my daughter will ask to watch Cars (again) and I fire it up in an instant without searching for a scratched up disk that's in her playroom, the family room, or our SUV.
post #7 of 11
Sport73, how does the encoded video from the DVD's look? I have a large DVD library which is slowly being encoded to H.264 files and was hoping the appleTV would fit the bill.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Sport73, how does the encoded video from the DVD's look? I have a large DVD library which is slowly being encoded to H.264 files and was hoping the appleTV would fit the bill.

Obviously, it's highly dependent upon your method/settings of encoding, but for me the results are great. I've been using Handbrake to RIP DVD's to <2GB h.264 files at full resolution and they are (for the most part) indiscernable from the original DVD - and in most cases notably better than iTunes movie purchases.

If you like the h.264 files on your PC/Mac, you'll be quite pleased with them piped through Apple TV. Whether it's my 50" Hitachi RPLCD or the Apple TV, the scaling is excellent and everything (including podcasts) looks terrific.
post #9 of 11
I got mine the day it came out. I watch about an hour of it every night before I go to bed.

I converted about 20 movies for it (using QT Pro and VisualHub - the latter wins). I follow three TV shows and get them from iTunes. I'm subscribed to about 15 video podcasts. During the day, I play music on it. I've shown pictures to friends on it several times.

I have minor complaints - I'd like to stream photos, podcasts should indicate whether they're audio or video - but I'm a very, very satisfied customer. With podcast subscriptions, there's always something (good) on.

I had the DVI>HDMI+audio cable setup for about a year. Comparing it to the convenience of ?TV is just silly - it's like saying you don't need an iPod because you can carry around a 12" PowerBook with your music on it.
post #10 of 11
We are watching Grey's Anatomy from the begining to catch up. We are loving it.

Anyone have a good TV suggestion for a viewing distance of 16 to 17 feet? I want 1080p, want it to work with my Direct Tv unit (standard definition), blah blah blah. It does not need speakers as I have my own sound system.

Also, it should have the capability to hang on the wall.

We utilize the Apple TV more than TIVO now. It's great.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

We are watching Grey's Anatomy from the begining to catch up. We are loving it.

Anyone have a good TV suggestion for a viewing distance of 16 to 17 feet? I want 1080p, want it to work with my Direct Tv unit (standard definition), blah blah blah. It does not need speakers as I have my own sound system.

Also, it should have the capability to hang on the wall.

We utilize the Apple TV more than TIVO now. It's great.

At that viewing distance, you'll never see the detail difference between 720p and 1080p, but I understand the need to stay 'current', plus you never know where it will end up in the future.

Given the viewing distance, I'd go with a RP digital TV, which will help close the viewing distance and give you more screen size for the money. The best set is the SONY SXRD models, in sizes up to 70" (I would want 70" at 16 feet!). Stylish, more durable than Plasma, bright, and BIG, these LCOS sets are the best on the market in my opinion.

If you MUST hang on the wall, go with the Samsung LCD panels; the performance is as good as the Sony or Sharp without the premium price.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV, whats it like after living with it for a while?