or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Hey, Londoners! Advise Please!

Hey, Londoners! Advise Please!

post #1 of 16
Well, it's that time of year again and I'm making another trip to London. I shall do my very best to see that I don't worry any of you about being killed this time.

I'll be there in mid/late June through early Julyabout 20 daysso if anyone wants to meet up, that's totally possible. My wife will be in Edinburgh for a little bit, so I'll be a bachelor for at least a few days in there.

But I have a question: I'd planned, initially, on staying around Russell Square (for proximity to the BL), but my grant was a little thinner than I'd have liked (and the friggin' pound is at record highs!!), so I'm poking around for other options. I'm finding lots of relatively cheap (£50 a night) rooms in Bayswater. I don't have much experience with that part of London, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. I know where it is and all, but I seem to remember someone telling me it could be a little sketchy, depending. Now, I don't think twice about staying in Southwark at the King's dorms on Stamford, so I guess I shouldn't worry, but I thought I'd ask.

So. Any advice?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #2 of 16
ATTENTION LONDONERS:

Tourist of doom en route. Commence evacuation procedures. That is all.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

ATTENTION LONDONERS:

Tourist of doom en route. Commence evacuation procedures. That is all.

You made me LOL out loud.

England prevails.
post #4 of 16
When I was in London 2 years ago, I stayed at Imperial Hotel in Russell Square (popular amongst HK travel agencies) and it was horrible!!!! Worse than a Motel 6.

I have honestly stayed in youth hostels that were more comfortable.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

When I was in London 2 years ago, I stayed at Imperial Hotel in Russell Square (popular amongst HK travel agencies) and it was horrible!!!! Worse than a Motel 6.

I have honestly stayed in youth hostels that were more comfortable.

That doesn't surprise me. I rented an apartment in South Kensington 2 years ago that was so small I had to tell a friend not to bother coming in from Germany; there wasn't enough room for him to even sleep on the floor. No A/C. No WiFi. Old, uncomfortable, bed. And £89 a night. Nice mews in the back, though.

I don't care about AC. I don't care about WiFi. I would prefer an en suite bathroom, but I don't really care about that, either.
post #6 of 16
Bayswater's got nice restaurants and the Park at the end of the road. It's not sketchy really, Southwark's generally OK.
post #7 of 16
My old University SOAS - School of Oriental and African Studies - has student accommodation/rooms around Russell Square and it rents these out during non-term time as they are sitting empty otherwise during the summer.

They used to be quite cheap last time I rented - not sure what they are now. Can look into it if you like.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

But I have a question: I'd planned, initially, on staying around Russell Square (for proximity to the BL), but my grant was a little thinner than I'd have liked (and the friggin' pound is at record highs!!), so I'm poking around for other options.
So. Any advice?

I stayed around near Russell Square in June 2001 and it was great. Access to the British Museum was a few blocks away and it was relatively quiet. I don't have the information of the B&B I stayed at but it was literally a block away from the square and it was very small quarters, but cheap (for 2001). When I get home I'll see if I can get you some info if you're interested.
post #9 of 16
St. Athans Hotel

I wanna go back to London now...
post #10 of 16
I like that one, although the double room with en suite is a little more than I'd like to pay (but not too much).

Here are some others I'm looking at:

Goodenough College (cheap rooms for itinerant scholars)

Cardiff Hotel
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

My old University SOAS - School of Oriental and African Studies - has student accommodation/rooms around Russell Square and it rents these out during non-term time as they are sitting empty otherwise during the summer.

They used to be quite cheap last time I rented - not sure what they are now. Can look into it if you like.

Now, I get it/you.

You 'trained' in SOAS, then. LOL!

UK Revolutionary Islamic Club meeting down the bar was it?....

"We hate the system, but we like Cheese n' Onion...."
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerDigby View Post

Now, I get it/you.

You 'trained' in SOAS, then. LOL!

UK Revolutionary Islamic Club meeting down the bar was it?....

"We hate the system, but we like Cheese n' Onion...."

Heheheh

The jihadis never met in the bar....too much alcohol! I could never tell who was a jihadi and who was MI5 actually....well, maybe I could....
post #13 of 16
Looks like I'll be going with St. Athans. The location is perfect (I'll be working primarily at the BL...and a 5 minute walk beats a 30 minute tube ride from South Kensington or Southwark.
post #14 of 16
Done. St. Athans it is.

Anyone want to have a pint at the Euston Flyer in a couple of months?
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

St. Athans Hotel

I wanna go back to London now...

Me too!!!!

Looks like a cute little place.

I wonder what kind of deal they make for longer stays, like a week, two weeks?
Much have I seen and known...yet all experience is an arch, wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades forever and forever when I move. - Tennyson
Much have I seen and known...yet all experience is an arch, wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades forever and forever when I move. - Tennyson
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol A View Post

Me too!!!!

Looks like a cute little place.

Well come on! AI meetup in London!

Quote:
I wonder what kind of deal they make for longer stays, like a week, two weeks?

They knocked a couple of pounds a night off my room.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Hey, Londoners! Advise Please!