or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › What's your favorite keyboard shortcut?

What's your favorite keyboard shortcut?

post #1 of 43
I have to say, although useless, crl+opt+apple key+8 is awesome. What's your favorite? I haven't been able to find a definitive shortcut key list, so if you know where a complete list is, please let us all know!
2.16 GHz 20" IMac w/ 3 Gb of RAM
2 GHz MacBook w/ 2 Gb of RAM
2 GHz MacBook w/ 4 Gb of RAM
1.83 GHz MacMini w/ 1 Gb of RAM (Hooked up to LCD 42")
Palm LifeDrive running LINUX (That was a pain in...
post #2 of 43
Simple, but oh so important is CMD-Z
post #3 of 43
Command-option-shift-V. Paste with current style attribute. Awesome for copying text from one source, then matching the format of the doc your working on.
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

Command-option-shift-V.

Same here. I also use Command-H a lot, and Command-Option-H (to hide all other apps).
"Whaddya mean Barq's has bite?"
"Johnny?"
"...Johnny?"
"Johnny?"
"...Johnny?"
post #5 of 43
 (option-shift-K)
post #6 of 43
I am a big fan of using the cmd+tab interface and from there using cmd+h and cmd+q.
post #7 of 43
i probably would go with the command-q shortcut

easily quit anything
post #8 of 43
Apple-Z.

I wish Apple would hurry up and extend its functionality to real life.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #9 of 43
I really like command+w. It's just like clicking the little red button on windows.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #10 of 43
While not technically a keyboard shortcut, I like the right click on the mouse-- very handy for a number of things.
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

While not technically a keyboard shortcut, I like the right click on the mouse-- very handy for a number of things.

i don't own a mac yet, but we have at school, and a cool little thing, not sure if it's really considered a short cut, but ctrl + roll the scroll wheel up and down , it zooms into stuff, it's pretty cool. i also like apple+options+w ( i think it's that ) closes all the windows that are open.
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive 8x
15" Glossy Widescreen Display

with a wireless Apple keyboard

and

iPod Touch
8GB
MacBook Pro
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive 8x
15" Glossy Widescreen Display

with a wireless Apple keyboard

and

iPod Touch
8GB
post #12 of 43
Command-Q
post #13 of 43
F9,F10,F11,F12

Just press them in a random order when you're bored and the dancing windows will brighten up your day.

I use command-H too but more often I just alt-left-click the desktop, which hides the current app.

I wish there was a command combo to bring up a terminal. Even if one appeared when you do alt-command-escape.
post #14 of 43
I gotta say, that last one was pretty cool.
post #15 of 43
Command-Delete followed by Shift-Cmd-Delete (Move to trash, empty trash).
post #16 of 43
Does the mute key count?

If the iPhone has a "divert to voicemail when docked function" then I'll never have to interrupt my musical enjoyment ever again!
post #17 of 43
I'm not sure about favorite, but it is my most used Apple plus and minus while browsing in Safari = Brilliance!
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
post #18 of 43
Since we are on the subject.... Is there a key combination that will change the size of the mouse cursor?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
post #19 of 43
Command+L

Automatically selects the URL box in Safari.
alldaydrive.com
.rock.
alldaydrive.com
.rock.
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

Option+L

Automatically selects the URL box in Safari.

Isn't that Command+L? Very cool! Did not know that one.
post #21 of 43
Come on guys! This is the best keyboard shortcut EVER! How can none of your have mentioned it?!?

In any application:

Command-Comma >>> Application Preferences

Brilliant! No other OS has this.
post #22 of 43
Mine, unfortunately, is Cmd-Opt-Esc

Especially with Safari and Azureus.
post #23 of 43
CMD+CTRL+OPTION+8.

Especially on other people's computers.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

F9,F10,F11,F12

Just press them in a random order when you're bored and the dancing windows will brighten up your day.

hold down shift while you do it and it gets even better...
My computer can beat up your computer.
My computer can beat up your computer.
post #25 of 43
Apple + F5 I think it is? Turn on the Voice app lol. I hit it all the time on other peoples computers right before I leave. It's real funny to do at school, the teachers go nuts because some of them don't know how to turn it off and if you do it to 20 computers with everyone moving their mouse around, it gets hysterical.
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
post #26 of 43
I wouldn't say that's funny but malicious. Basically we have a small enough client base as it is, those teachers who are frustrated by such antics will never buy.

Shift +F8 got a wee bit scary for a sec
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K.

Command-Q

That was my first instinct too. The hand lands nicely there, but since I bought my MX Revolution I have set the thumb-wheel button to do that.

A one that freaks people out is: ctrl+alt+Command+8

Probably my favourite is either:
ctrl+alt+Command+eject (Shutdown)
or
ctrl+Command+eject (Restart)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #28 of 43
Apple Control Shift 4

Select an area on the screen and send as screenshot to the clipboard! Very useful, and does not litter your desktop with useless picture files.

Rich
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feartec View Post

I wouldn't say that's funny but malicious. Basically we have a small enough client base as it is, those teachers who are frustrated by such antics will never buy.

Shift +F8 got a wee bit scary for a sec

Come on, it's kind of funny. All the teachers at my school all used macs, they all told us we should use them, but not everyone knows all the shortcuts.

and what does Shift+F8 do?...scary huh? I might have to try that when I get home...
post #30 of 43
F11 love having things all over my desktop. If you got all day shift F11 is funny
post #31 of 43
cmd + left-arrow-key = back button while web browsing
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetomac View Post

Apple Control Shift 4

Select an area on the screen and send as screenshot to the clipboard! Very useful, and does not litter your desktop with useless picture files.

Rich

Adding the space bar into the mix here to snap just one window is pretty handy too. I use that all the time for snaping screenshots of my apps for my website.
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Come on guys! This is the best keyboard shortcut EVER! How can none of your have mentioned it?!?

In any application:

Command-Comma >>> Application Preferences

Brilliant! No other OS has this.

They all were waiting for you to come up with.

Definitively CND-H
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #34 of 43
Command+Space

Brings Quicksilver Up

Also:
Spacebar (In Quicktime or iTunes) for Play/Pause
Command+Q
Ctrl+Option+Apple+8
Every Single Function Key except F6 to F8 (the 3 useless ones for me, though Spaces will fix F8 for me )
Command+Tab or Command+`

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
post #35 of 43
Great thread! I registered just to contribute a new shortcut I only recently discovered - in my sixth year of using OSX...

In Finder, I expect you all know that if you press command then click on the icon on the window title bar the file path magically drops down. This is useful if, like me, you tend not have the toolbar showing for aesthetic reasons. What I didn't know until the other day is that you can move up and down that file path by using the up and down cursor keys!
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #36 of 43
Cmd-click>Customize Toolbar. Drag the Path button to the Finder toolbar. Does the same thing and you can do it all with your mouse.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

Cmd-click>Customize Toolbar. Drag the Path button to the Finder toolbar. Does the same thing and you can do it all with your mouse.

True, but this is useful if I you do not keep the toolbar in view - and it's elegant!
Buddha
Buddha
post #38 of 43
I have two, and they have been altered from the default set up.

1) Command-3/Command-4 to print screen/window, respectively.

2) F12 to bring up the dictionary for words I hover over. Using the Fucntion key allows me to use t as a toggle key instead of the difficult, 3-key default setup.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #39 of 43
does cmd-space (re-mapped for quicksilver) count?
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetomac View Post

Apple Control Shift 4

Rich

it actually goes to the desktop. i only mention that because i think that difference makes it better than windows print-screen.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › What's your favorite keyboard shortcut?