or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Then came Gravel...

Then came Gravel...

post #1 of 19
Amazed no one has posted anything about this man.

I have to admit he was fresh air at the Democratic Debates. He has caused quite a stir with his straightforward and brutally honest opinions. He's got balls. He also has a good record.

I know SDW probably thinks he's the reason we "lost" the war in Vietnam (In 1971, he waged a successful one-man filibuster for five months that forced the Nixon administration to cut a deal, effectively ending the draft in the United States). He was also one of the people who helped release the Pentagon Papers which also eventually helped end the Vietnam war.

Well, he has been banned from the CNN New Hampshire debates. As usual, these debates are only a media sponsored event. Only the wealthiest, not the worthiest need apply. This man needs to be heard and needs to be bought into the debate and the process. Let him be seen and heard and let the people decide whether or not he should continue.

Gravel defends his right to be included in the CNN New Hampshire debates

Video

Petition to include Gravel in the CNN New Hampshire debates.

Gravel for President 2008!

My opinion? I need more time. I don't believe he's had the chance to give us the full picture of his policies and ideas. But so far, I want to hear more and believe he should continue to New Hampshire.
post #2 of 19
I'm all for being heard, but a "debate" with 10 people is no debate. It ought to just be Clinton, Obama, and Edwards. Everyone else is around 0-2% in the polls.
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I'm all for being heard, but a "debate" with 10 people is no debate. It ought to just be Clinton, Obama, and Edwards. Everyone else is around 0-2% in the polls.

Agreed. There should be a "full forum" debate. And there should be a "top 3" debate.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #4 of 19
Quote:

Polls don't work unless the public gets to view and hear the other opponent's views. That was the first debate.

These debates should not even be held on network television. After watching Moyer's report "Buying the War" on the press I don't trust any of them (MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox News, New York Times...) anymore. They're all slime. They should be on Public television where sponsors won't muscle in and pull ad time for their own views and agenda. I couldn't stand that MSNBC logo plastered on the stage and every available space during that debate.

Clinton/Obama/Edwards = Money. That is all.
post #5 of 19
Quote:

First of all, it's illegal, and I'll get to that in a second. You need to remember that the first primary is still over 8 months away. That's a heck of a long time for people to make a comeback in the polls. Who knows how we'll feel about a candidate by the end of the summer? Heck, that's usually when the Presidential campaigns actually *start*.

Plus, who decides what the cutoff % is for a candidate to be allowed to be a part of the debate? Should John Edwards even be invited? After all, this is CNN's debate and CNN's latest poll shows Al Gore ahead of John Edwards and Al Gore isn't even running at this point. Should the debate only be between Clinton and Obama? Wes Clark, who also hasn't announced whether he will run or not, is 5th in the poll, ahead of the other candidates running.

http://www.presidentpolls2008.com/po...ion-Polls.html

As for having only the top two candidates debate, there was a very famous Republican debate in my neck of the woods back in 1980 between George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan who were the two front runners in the polls before the debate. Bob Dole complained to the Federal Elections Commission that by paying for the debate for the two front runners while seven people were on the ballot that the Nashua Telegraph was making an illegal contribution to both the Bush and Reagan campaigns. The FEC agreed with Bob Dole and the Reagan campaign decided to step up on short notice and pay for the debate so that everyone who was running would be heard. When Reagan got to the debate, there were only two spots available, one for him and one for George H.W. Bush. So he got up to the microphone to try and explain to the crowd that all candidates would be heard from when the editor of the Telegraph, still trying to only allow Bush and Reagan to debate, shouted to a sound guy to shut his microphone off. Reagan then blasted back, "I am paying for this microphone, Mr. Green," and the crowd went wild. In the end, all of the candidates debated.

Believe me, I'm not thrilled with the notion of the 'Press Conference' debates we have now. But if it was an illegal campaign contribution in 1980 to not invite certain candidates to a debate, I don't know how it wouldn't be illegal now.
post #6 of 19
Senator Gravel would like to thank each and every one on you who worked so hard to get him into the New Hampshire Democratic Presidential Debate. This invitation is a direct result of the dedication and work of those of you who have stood up for this campaign in the last 72 hours. This is absolute proof that the people working together can stand up to corporate media and have our voices heard. Senator Gravel has said all along that this is your campaign and today your voices have been heard loud and clear.

Our work has only just begun. Again, thank you to all of you.

Shawn Alexander Colvin

Press Secretary

Gravel 08

http://www.gravel2008.us/?q=node/747

post #7 of 19
I don't know much about him to be honest. I watched the video, and all I can say is that while he was interesting to say the least, his opinion on defunding the war is nuts. He wants to make it felony for the President to stay in a Iraq.
He's also not Presidential. That said, he shouldn't be banned from the "debate," even though it's not really a debate at all, as another poster mentioned.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #8 of 19
Gravel will be on The Steve Colbert Show tonight.

SDW2001:

1. Go to Gravel's web site.
2. View the text and videos.
3. Lather, Rinse and Repeat...
post #9 of 19
Yeah, I have to say, this guy's freakin' awesome. He makes KUCINICH look like The Establishment. I love him! He should be somebody's VP!!! Him or Kucinich. They're both more honest, simply put, than the rest. I still have a jones for Edwards though. Electable and I think he'd make the right choices. Him or perhaps Dodd, but he's not quite as electable. And then there's Gore, I'd want to vote for him too.

I am really glad Gravel was in the debate. I am planning on writing a simple thank you letter to him for just being in the debate, and running, and adding a perspective.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I am really glad Gravel was in the debate. I am planning on writing a simple thank you letter to him for just being in the debate, and running, and adding a perspective.

I did too. It is good to have some plurality of opinion. Whats funny, is the nomination process is better than the actual race. Once the public relations swill and talking-head-idiocy gets rolling all the nominees (Republican & Democrat) start to look like boiled meat.

Keep up the good work Gravel.
post #11 of 19
Ya gotta hand it to him. The guy's got some cajones and he's willing to make a stir.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Amazed no one has posted anything about this man.

I have to admit he was fresh air at the Democratic Debates. He has caused quite a stir with his straightforward and brutally honest opinions. He's got balls. He also has a good record.

I know SDW probably thinks he's the reason we "lost" the war in Vietnam (In 1971, he waged a successful one-man filibuster for five months that forced the Nixon administration to cut a deal, effectively ending the draft in the United States). He was also one of the people who helped release the Pentagon Papers which also eventually helped end the Vietnam war.

Well, he has been banned from the CNN New Hampshire debates. As usual, these debates are only a media sponsored event. Only the wealthiest, not the worthiest need apply. This man needs to be heard and needs to be bought into the debate and the process. Let him be seen and heard and let the people decide whether or not he should continue.

Gravel defends his right to be included in the CNN New Hampshire debates

Video

Petition to include Gravel in the CNN New Hampshire debates.

Gravel for President 2008!

My opinion? I need more time. I don't believe he's had the chance to give us the full picture of his policies and ideas. But so far, I want to hear more and believe he should continue to New Hampshire.

So Artman like this is a take off of " Then Came Bronson ". I really know you're my age now!

That show was a favorite when I was a teenger.

Just in case you were all wondering : http://www.thencamebronson.tv/
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #13 of 19
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

So Artman like this is a take off of " Then Came Bronson ". I really know you're my age now!
That show was a favorite when I was a teenger.
Just in case you were all wondering : http://www.thencamebronson.tv/

I was 8 years old, but me and my friends watched it religiously. Michael Parks was (and is) one of the coolest, talented and amazing persons/actors of all time. In a way, his TV character reflects Gravel only in his strong and forthright motivation towards freedom and liberty. Ah well, nostalgia taking over...\

Here's the opening and closing credits to "Then Came Bronson".

Haggard businessman in car: Man, I wish I was you.
Bronson on bike: Really? Well hang in there!
post #15 of 19
Quote:

I was 8 years old, but me and my friends watched it religiously. Michael Parks was (and is) one of the coolest, talented and amazing persons/actors of all time. In a way, his TV character reflects Gravel only in his strong and forthright motivation towards freedom and liberty. Ah well, nostalgia taking over...\

Here's the opening and closing credits to "Then Came Bronson".

Haggard businessman in car: Man, I wish I was you.
Bronson on bike: Really? Well hang in there!

Wow!

I haven't seen that since I was 15!

Yeah I always thought it was a cool show and that Parks was very talented.

Careful! It'very easy in these times to have nostalgia take over!

Thanks!
post #16 of 19
Scratch that Wolf Blitzer crap.

Here's Gravel on MSNBC before the GOP debates.

One thing, he says he wants to be the "Ronald Reagan" of the Democratic Party. Eeww. Careful there ol' boy...deficiency in humility. That’s a potentially dangerous vulnerability in politics. But it's good to see him defending his age before the others attack him on that.
post #17 of 19
post #18 of 19
Quote:

Gravel will be on The Steve Colbert Show tonight.

SDW2001:

1. Go to Gravel's web site.
2. View the text and videos.
3. Lather, Rinse and Repeat...

I saw him on Colbert. He's a wack-a-doo. Nuff said.
post #19 of 19
Come on. You take a brief sound bitten appearance on a comedy show (in my opinion weak comedy show) to base your decision? Listen to the Truthdig interview. It is a mature and reasoned discussion of his positions and ideas.

So far SDW, who's your current favorite in the race?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Then came Gravel...