or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Mac Mini --- Too quiet!

Mac Mini --- Too quiet!

post #1 of 50
Is it me or has the news related to the ole Mac mini been slow to non-existant? Maybe we'll see radically altered version of it soon?!?!?
post #2 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boompub View Post

Is it me or has the news related to the ole Mac mini been slow to non-existant? Maybe we'll see radically altered version of it soon?!?!?

Id say expect revised mini between santa rosa release and WWDC

I get the impression that at WWDC the focus will be on the iphone and leopard, and that hardware wise we will see in the run up to WWDC
post #3 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

I get the impression that at WWDC the focus will be on the iphone and leopard, and that hardware wise we will see in the run up to WWDC

I get the opposite impression.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #4 of 50
I wouldnt be surprsied to see the Mac Mini disappear from the product lineup altogether.
post #5 of 50
Wouldn't that be somethiing... to see the mini disappear.
I suspect it will change dimensions to match the Apple TV size so it matches the size n style.
post #6 of 50
The Apple TV is the new Mini... or at least a future incarnation of it will be.
post #7 of 50
I don't see them exiting the Mac Mini market as there are no indications that the Mini is not selling.

In fact, if Santa Rosa offers what has been promised, it would be perfect for the Mac Mini. You'd have a much faster processor with an 800 MHz front side bus, improved support for integrated graphics with the GMA X3000, and 802.11n wireless.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple only gave the Mini a Core 2 Duo once other Santa Rosa Macs hit the shelves. They wouldn't need to do any work to the existing motherboard which already supports the Core 2 Duo and it would still be a nice speed bump.
post #8 of 50
I'm buying one Saturday, so a new one will ship in a couple of weeks.
www.tektruth.com The next generation of CE writing and reviewing.
www.tektruth.com The next generation of CE writing and reviewing.
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xflare View Post

I wouldnt be surprsied to see the Mac Mini disappear from the product lineup altogether.

Ridiculous. It's a big seller and likely the introduction to Macs for many switchers.
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Ridiculous. It's a big seller and likely the introduction to Macs for many switchers.

Do you have any numbers to back this up. Not disagreeing, but I hear too many other people say that it's not a big seller, but they don't offer any proof either. Inquiring minds want to know.
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Do you have any numbers to back this up. Not disagreeing, but I hear too many other people say that it's not a big seller, but they don't offer any proof either. Inquiring minds want to know.

I worked Apple retail when the mini launched and for the rest of my stay there it sold well. Again, no numbers, but as I think of comparisons the mini seems like it sold more than the PowerMacs. Granted there is a large price discrepancy and different market/consumer involved, but still it seemed to hold its own.

I wonder how much the $100 price increase and un-newness of the mini in addition to the introduction of the Apple TV has affected sales?

Remember that Apple is a company that focuses on meeting their KEY MARKET NEEDS. When Steve returned in the late 90's they talked to the shareholders about changing their strategy and getting back to basics (which is why it is interesting seeing the thread on the xMac get so large). They have the Pro market covered with the Mac Pro and MBP. The consumers/education markets are covered with the iMac and MB. I would argue that right now, SWITCHERS have become a key market need for Apple, and that the mini, which addresses the switcher issue very directly (you should have seen the training documents they gave us on how to position the mini for sale - almost all about switchers) is not going anywhere anytime soon. Or if it is going somewhere, there will be something in its place to address the same "foot in the door" market.
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Mac Mini --- Too quiet!

Your title is misleading, I thought you meant its fan.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #13 of 50
I bought the mini G4 when it first appeared and still love it. Having a great 23' cinema display, kb, etc., I first considered the mini would just become a cheap disposable computer which I would replace every 2~3 years. BUT fortunately my mini, still working fine, will find a new life hooked to the playroom TV as an entertainment center-iLife. Soon I'll buy the new C2D mini or whatever comes out with Leopard and I'm sure my satisfaction will continue.
post #14 of 50
The market continues to move toward portables. Considering that the MacBook isn't all that much more than the mini (nor is an entry level iMac), it wouldn't surprise me if the mini goes away if/when Apple decides to build more functionality into the Apple TV.
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boompub View Post

As I immensely despise integrated graphics, I'd love it to have a real graphics card (and the C2D chip).

- Mark
post #16 of 50
I think some people are confusing the AppleTV for a computer. It's not a computer, it's a media device. With a 1 GHz Processor and 256 MB of RAM, what are you going to do with it? Even a 1.5 GHz Core Solo Mac Mini would run laps around the AppleTV. It's definitely cool that you can get Mac OS X running on it, but just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.

As for the lack of a graphics card, I guess we'll have to wait and see whether Santa Rosa and the GMA x3000 make it into the Mac Mini. It might not be as bad as we think.
post #17 of 50
I have to agree with a previous post, the Mini could be resized to match the Apple TV planform. Then there may be enough room inside to include space for a Cablecard tuner, more memory, and all the feature required to work with the Apple TV to create a first class media center.
The Mini firewire ports will offer hard drive expansion and the included DVD player could stream movies to the TV via the Apple TV control box.
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfcurtis View Post

I have to agree with a previous post, the Mini could be resized to match the Apple TV planform. Then there may be enough room inside to include space for a Cablecard tuner, more memory, and all the feature required to work with the Apple TV to create a first class media center.
The Mini firewire ports will offer hard drive expansion and the included DVD player could stream movies to the TV via the Apple TV control box.

So you need an Apple TV AND a Mini in the Living Room? That doesn't make any sense at all, and if they were to do it the best connection between the two would be FW, which is lacking on the Apple TV.
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

So you need an Apple TV AND a Mini in the Living Room? That doesn't make any sense at all, and if they were to do it the best connection between the two would be FW, which is lacking on the Apple TV.

Apple TV needs a computer to function. It may be remote and connected by Ethernet/wireless or, the computer could be setup close to the TV and the Apple TV unit.
I assume that the cable feed is in place for the TV so it would be easy to feed the signal to a cable card in the mini. (that was a suggestion, not a prediction)

The connection from the mini to the Apple TV could be through the network cable. (or the USB port, if the ATV port was enabled)
post #20 of 50
Interesting talk about the Mini on Hardmac.

Mini Link
post #21 of 50
Quote:

Sounds more and more like a Cube! Only faster with Cable....
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #22 of 50
Quote:

Also, with more storage, a little more capability............like 1080i or 1080p. Update and merge the Mini and AppleTV into an slightly more upscale AppleTV, while still offering the current one as the baseline.

Well, it was a nice dream anyway.
post #23 of 50
Allowing more ram, a faster processor, and better graphics and I would replace my CD mini today. Parallels is tough on the mini when booting up with maxed ram, but smooth as butter and fast as lightening on my 24" iMac no matter what I do.

I have 2 mini's at work (CD), soon to be 4 and two mini's (G4) at home. They are here to stay people. They are great machines.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Allowing more ram, a faster processor, and better graphics and I would replace my CD mini today. Parallels is tough on the mini when booting up with maxed ram, but smooth as butter and fast as lightening on my 24" iMac no matter what I do.

I have 2 mini's at work (CD), soon to be 4 and two mini's (G4) at home. They are here to stay people. They are great machines.

Thanks for the tip on Parallels with the Mini. I, too, think the mini is a fantastic bargain for those of us with extra stuff. I run mine, maxed out in RAM of course, with a 23" Apple display and it is great, and i'm doing japanese on it all the time. Of course, I was a Cube fan (am... I should say), so clearly I'm a nut case, but perhaps the fact that I get all that for one-third the price I paid for my first G4^3 makes me giddy.
post #25 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Likewise - I was about to offer you mine which has had a really noisy DVD drive ever since I upgraded that memory chip 18 months ago...
post #26 of 50
as well as a black iMac, I think we need a black Mac Mini too with bumped specs. This is my ideal solution right now for what I need (music recording, photo editing / Ps, basic movie editing, Mail, Safari/FF, IM, etc etc) and would probably require a HDMI for a future blu ray solution

dont flame me for my poor PS skills hehe, its all about the specs!

Get me this machine by November Apple!!
post #27 of 50
I really wish they would update the mini already, I've got 600 bucks burning a fat hole in my wallet.

post #28 of 50
I ageree, an updated mini is well overdue. I'm not sure about that price point though, £629 is a bit steep for a mini and those specs aren't high enough to warrent that kind of price. I'd say £499.

I know the current top offering is £529, but that's over priced for the spec these days.
post #29 of 50
I'd buy dat!
post #30 of 50
Take the guts of a mac mini, and the shell of the mac classic (SE 30 perhaps...) keep the same size monitor, upgradinging it to full color... price it right around $700...

Call it the "Mac Classic"

Tell Steve Jobs - call me, I got a lot of ideas...

Big Wes
post #31 of 50
Wasn't there just the rumor that they were going to kill off the mini soon?
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Wasn't there just the rumor that they were going to kill off the mini soon?

Yes...so the quiet you hear is the solemnity of impending doom...
post #33 of 50
Is it a killing of the mini or an evolutionary rebirth of a cube?
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggy05 View Post

Is it a killing of the mini or an evolutionary rebirth of a cube?

Somehow, I doubt that. I can't say I've ever seen a G4^3 in my own life in person, just on Drew Carey... but I've seen a few minis around (including the one I'm using at this moment). It seemed to me that the short lifespan of the Cube combined with it's apparent low sales volume, I doubt Apple would take a gamble with that design again, unfortunately.
2.2GHz C2D 15" LED MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM, Upgraded to 7200 RPM HD[center]"I wouldn't buy an Apple computer. It's too fruity." "Apparently fruity must be the new crazy good."[/center]
2.2GHz C2D 15" LED MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM, Upgraded to 7200 RPM HD[center]"I wouldn't buy an Apple computer. It's too fruity." "Apparently fruity must be the new crazy good."[/center]
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Somehow, I doubt that. I can't say I've ever seen a G4^3 in my own life in person, just on Drew Carey... but I've seen a few minis around (including the one I'm using at this moment). It seemed to me that the short lifespan of the Cube combined with it's apparent low sales volume, I doubt Apple would take a gamble with that design again, unfortunately.

There was really nothing wrong with the Cube's design other than Apple was charging way too much money for the design factor. Price the product in line with it's functionality... make it a compelling sale through it's design. Apple had that backwards with the Cube and consequently the product was a commercial flop.

In some respects the mini commits the same mistake though to a lesser degree. Apple has to charge extra for the smallness factor but that's a design trait that has minimal consumer value over just a "small simple computer". Build it with most cost effective components (desktop parts), price accordingly, keep the styling differentiated from the run-of-the-mill PC and you have a better and more sustainable offering, IMHO. Maybe that's what Apple will do.
post #36 of 50
Quote:

ROFL. I didn't even bother opening the thread until I was just kinda bored.

But I do hope they get rid of the Mini.
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

I am still a huge G4^3 fan. It is just that I need more with my displays today, so my two are gathering dust-- well one is on "display" and the other is in box in the closet-- maybe it should be on ebay, but I'm still thinking about turning it into an aquarium....

I really did love the functionality and size-- everything on the desktop (except the Brick, of course) and nicely integrated with the 22" Cinema Display, or the original 15" version. Even the speakers worked nicely, though I soon hooked it up with Sound Sticks.

I do use a Mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB (not a very "mini" name, eh? ) paired with a fine 23" Apple monitor. You see, I am still making that same "error" of paying more than is really necessary for convenient size). It just does not have the full ease and convenience of the Cube.

I am a fan of the Mini, though, since its small size IS a major point in its favor, particularly for those of us with a plethora of peripherals lying about-- extra mice, keyboards, monitors/flat panels, extra hard drives and such. I recently discovered the Macessity "Stand by MI",allowing me to lift up the monitor and put the Mini under it-- great product (no endorsement contract signed yet-- but it really made me wish that I could similarly upgrade the Mini itself for funtionality. It really should have been brought up to Core 2 Duo status by now.
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganT View Post

I didn't even bother opening the thread until I was just kinda bored.
But I do hope they get rid of the Mini.

I agree, it doesn't do anything for me. If you want a Mac, and you don't want to pay a grand, then buy a refurb, or a second hand one. Otherwise you obviously don't want one. If you want to play your media on your TV, use an Apple TV or another streaming media server etc. I actually think apple has made a few good moves lately, like chaning their name and getting into phones.

Apple still has a few things to do though;
1. Make an iPhone nano.
2. Make that real video iPod.
3. Make TV's with built-in everything, BIG hard drive, standard DVD drive, TV remote, 24 watt speakers, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.
4. Either make a decent mouse, or bring out a multi-touch keyboard.
5. An ultra-portable notebook, or a tablet.
6. Get TV shows and movies to europe.
7. iTunes HD and iPTV service.
8. ..and more surprises too
post #39 of 50
Quote:

I agree, it doesn't do anything for me. If you want a Mac, and you don't want to pay a grand, then buy a refurb, or a second hand one. Otherwise you obviously don't want one. If you want to play your media on your TV, use an Apple TV or another streaming media server etc. I actually think apple has made a few good moves lately, like chaning their name and getting into phones.

1. Make an iPhone nano.
3. Make TV's with built-in everything, BIG hard drive, standard DVD drive, TV remote, 24 watt speakers, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.

Here's an idea for an Apple TV 2.0:

250 GB HD
1 HD Tuner
Non upgradeable (Because that's how Apple likes it)

When you want to watch something that comes on at the same time of your recording, Apple TV asks you if you want to schedule a downloading of that episode from the iTunes HD TV store.
post #40 of 50
Quote:

1. Make an iPhone nano.

Just because you don't like the Mini doesn't mean that it is a bad product or that it doesn't have a place in Apple's line up. I would say that as long as Apple can't hit the $799 (or better yet $699) price point with an iMac then the Mini is a good product for them to keep (although they need to try to get a $499 model again). In fact it probably has a bigger market than a number of the products that you list.

I know there are a lot of people wanting that TV, but it would cost $1000 or more than a TV with a comparable display but without all that stuff and like it or not AIO TV's have never been big sellers wether it has been with integrated VCR or DVD. The people who would spend the extra money for such a device would probably not be satisfied with the 24 watt speakers and other concessions to get everything in it.

Apple's last Ultra portable was the PB 2400 if I recall. It sold well in Japan, and was a dud here in the states. There is probably a smaller market than there is for the Mini and it would probably take a bit more to engineer. Add to the fact that they would need to use the smaller keyboard that ultra portables use which everyone would complain about and you have a dud in the long run. A tablet might be even worse. There is yet to be a really successful tablet, it is to costly to produce to be more than a niche product and the markets that need it already have them available with the software that they need. Also Apple would need to concentrate on a more corporate client, but right now they are focusing on the consumer market.

The Mini probably has the smallest R&D cost of any Mac right now, and can receive the slowest and smallest upgrade cycle of all their computers and still remain marketable and the only computer that Apple can get in that low end market that they can best attract "Switchers" with. It would be great to get the starting point back down to $499.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Mac Mini --- Too quiet!