or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › We won't be able to use itunes songs as ringtones on iphone

We won't be able to use itunes songs as ringtones on iphone

post #1 of 10
We won't be able to use itunes songs as ringtones on iphone. itunes is going to launch a ringtone download service. the reason you can't use songs you download from itunes on the iphone is because of licensing issues. so you will have to download songs and ringtones seperately in itunes.
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daabomb2002 View Post

We won't be able to use itunes songs as ringtones on iphone. itunes is going to launch a ringtone download service. the reason you can't use songs you download from itunes on the iphone is because of licensing issues. so you will have to download songs and ringtones seperately in itunes.

link? source?
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #3 of 10
Quote:

Balls, I don't believe that for a second. I do expect iTunes to do ringtones (obviously), but that licensing things is simply untrue. "Quick hide your stereo, here comes the RIAA!"
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 10
I don't think I can use downloaded songs as ringers on my Sprint UpStage, which is otherwise a very open phone. This leads me to believe that there may be licensing issues. In other words, record companies are full of pricks.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #5 of 10
Apple is pretty good at talking companies down from stuff like that.
post #6 of 10
I'm betting Apple puts up an iPhone section in iTs (i.e. Music section, Movies section, etc.). And this is were you'll be able to purchase/get ringtones, apps, widgets, games etc.

I also think this is what Apple means when it says that it wants to be in control of the release of new third party applications for iPhone. Apple wants you to buy them and mange them from iTunes.

Remember it's still early were at least a month away from WWDC and I expect the rest about iPhone to be released at the keynote.

"Welcome to WWDC 2007. I don't want to spend alot of time on the iPhone because were here for Mac, but I have to tell you this because it's coming out tomorrow..." -Steve Jobs WWDC07
Oh what I would do if he'd say that.

-MR

PS: Splinemodel, how do you like the UpStage. I've read some great reviews. I wouldn't buy it because Sprint isn't to great around here, but I have high hopes for it. It definately looks cool.
"Impossible is the opposite of possible." -Herbert Hoover
post #7 of 10
can't you use songs from iTunes as ringtones on the ROKR, RAZR and SLIVR that support iTunes???

That would lead me to believe that you will be able to use them on the iPhone without have to rebuy your songs because of some ridiculous system put in place by the record companies to ream you up the ass every time you want to use something you bought the way you want to use it.

Wow, that turned into a rant...

sorry.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpapasmurf View Post

can't you use songs from iTunes as ringtones on the ROKR, RAZR and SLIVR that support iTunes???

That would lead me to believe that you will be able to use them on the iPhone without have to rebuy your songs because of some ridiculous system put in place by the record companies to ream you up the ass every time you want to use something you bought the way you want to use it.

Wow, that turned into a rant...

sorry.

Easy sailor, easy. LOL

You make a very good point, I'll have to ask a friend of mine (has the rokr).
post #9 of 10
Quote:

I hope that's true. There's nothing more tacky than people's ringtones.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I hope that's true. There's nothing more tacky than people's ringtones.

as much as i'm all for freedom, ringtones can be DAMN obnoxious...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › We won't be able to use itunes songs as ringtones on iphone