or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Speculative doodle: New iMac design

Speculative doodle: New iMac design

post #1 of 116

Just a doodle in Photoshop but it struck me as being a plausible idea with a clear precedent. At any rate, having doodled it, I felt I had to do something with it so here I am. *waves*

- Joel Fagin
post #2 of 116
v nice! I'd grab one! I think they should still offer the iMac in white too though (and iPhone for that matter)
post #3 of 116
Yeah and oversized iPhone on a stick. Nice..I never thought it'd look that good. Nice "doodle"
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #4 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yeah and oversized iPhone on a stick.

That's kind of the point. The iMac G5 was a giant iPod on a stick but it's now overdue for a top to bottom redesign in the same year that Apple releases a new consumer electronics device with an all-new design philosophy and just as we get rumours of a black iMac.

Seems... Well, I won't say likely because this is Apple here, but is seems reasonable.

- Joel Fagin
post #5 of 116
Looks great.
I'd almost buy one.
post #6 of 116
Very nice. I like the 'chin' that you've kept but made it much smaller.
post #7 of 116
Let me add my voice to the chorus here, this is perhaps the best looking iMac mock-up we have seen for a long time.
post #8 of 116
It actually looks like the iMac that Apple would make if they were designing it off the iPhone.
post #9 of 116
add a touch screen interface to that and i would definitely buy one!
post #10 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by googleplex View Post

add a touch screen interface to that and i would definitely buy one!

Dear God, no.
post #11 of 116
Surprised nobody has said it yet: That is the best first post I have ever seen; welcome to AI!

I would like two, please, and please make a multi-touch keyboard to go with it.

For the keyboard, I think it shoudl have user-programmable keys (ie, you can design-your-own to meet your needs) in addition to having the standard sets. Wireless, of course.

If this is just a "doodle" as you say, we can only wonder what you could produce if you you put more time into it!

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #12 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Surprised nobody has said it yet: That is the best first post I have ever seen; welcome to AI!

I would like two, please, and please make a multi-touch keyboard to go with it.

For the keyboard, I think it shoudl have user-programmable keys (ie, you can design-your-own to meet your needs) in addition to having the standard sets. Wireless, of course.

If this is just a "doodle" as you say, we can only wonder what you could produce if you you put more time into it!

I agree. A very well thought out concept. I have dabbled in photoshop myself, so I see the little mistakes that would have you degrade this to "doodle" status, but don't be so modest: this is a great use of trends to make a good looking concept.
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
post #13 of 116
No way! Awesome, I just did an actual "doodle" last week.

Yours came out really great.

-MR

PS: sorry for the monstrous images
"Impossible is the opposite of possible." -Herbert Hoover
post #14 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRebs View Post

No way! Awesome, I just did an actual "doodle" last week.

Yours came out really great.

-MR

PS: sorry for the monstrous images

I love it. As soon as someone metioned "detachable iMac" in one of the rumor posts, feeling that the iMac would make a great Tablet if it could be staioned and removed, I thought of something like what you drew. The optical drive integrated into the stand is definitely the way they would do this detachable concept as well.

All in all, not a bad drawing. One thing, though, where's the Apple logo?
post #15 of 116
It's on the stand abouve the optical drive.

post #16 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Very nice. I like the 'chin' that you've kept but made it much smaller.

I've noticed that most LCD displays, and HDTVs for that matter, have a small chin.

post #17 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by crentist View Post

I love it. As soon as someone metioned "detachable iMac" in one of the rumor posts, feeling that the iMac would make a great Tablet if it could be staioned and removed, I thought of something like what you drew. The optical drive integrated into the stand is definitely the way they would do this detachable concept as well.

All in all, not a bad drawing. One thing, though, where's the Apple logo?

On the first one I'll be honest, I forgot to put it in.

But the second, look at the angled shot of the Base.
post #18 of 116
Nice!

I like your reasoning too - the present iMac was deliberately styled after the iPod when it was first introduced (see this). It would make sense for Apple to model a new iMac after their iPhone. Though I think there would be some expectation that the iMac would come with a touch screen if the design is made to mimick the iPhone.
post #19 of 116
nice design .......

are you Johnathon Ive undercover ??? feeding us little snipets and checking out feedback ????

*** you know i looked at it again and it just smacks of apple and there pr !!!!!!!!!!!!! you are johnathan in disguise****
classic imac g3 (ebay bargin) working my way up the Apple ladder..........
Ipod 5G black
big credit card debit when new hardware and osx come out (misses beat me to it big dreams of apple now)
Ipod 5G black
big credit card debit when new hardware and osx come out (misses beat me to it big dreams of apple now)
post #20 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2 View Post

*** you know i looked at it again and it just smacks of apple and there pr !!!!!!!!!!!!! you are johnathan in disguise***

And you are his assistant. By saying this in public, in a joking way, no one will suspect that you are actually telling the truth.

post #21 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

And you are his assistant. By saying this in public, in a joking way, no one will suspect that you are actually telling the truth.

Ipod 5G black
Ipod 5G black
post #22 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Ipod 5G black
Ipod 5G black
post #23 of 116
Great designs.

The white iMacs certainly are looking very 2004...

I'd like to see a full size optical in the base and shock horror a couple of really accesible USB2/FW/Card ports.
post #24 of 116
Love the mock up! I have no need for a touch screen though.
Aluminum Macbook: 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Nvidia 9400M.
Aluminum Macbook: 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Nvidia 9400M.
post #25 of 116
Heh. Those are great, Matt. I didn't mess with the stand myself - there's no way I'd be able to correctly guess what it'd look like and the picture was more to make a point than try to predict exactly what it'd look like.

The trouble with touchscreens is you need to hold your arm up to use them - or buy a lower desk. I'm happy with my mouse.

But thanks everyone! Great response.

- Joel Fagin
post #26 of 116
Great design. But I don't think Matt's design is anything what it would look like. Putting the speakers on the side make the screen look smaller than it actually is.
post #27 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Fagin View Post

Just a doodle in Photoshop but it struck me as being a plausible idea with a clear precedent. At any rate, having doodled it, I felt I had to do something with it so here I am. *waves*

- Joel Fagin

Now make the base / case in anodized black, and you have what it will look like. Cuz, if it's black, it's got to be ALL black

Skip
post #28 of 116
I'd buy the Fagin iMac. Black stand. No touchscreen.

Maybe we'll see something like this in October. That's when I'm buying with Leopard.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #29 of 116
I think that it is still likely that more white elements will be on the iMac in the next revision. Similarly, they will make it slightly different from the pro screens, which might also look like this.
Lastly, the stand will almost certainly be revamped, presumably to give it the rotation it once had.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
post #30 of 116
That's really great. Probably pretty close to what we'll see!

I think I might drop the shiny bezel though, maybe leaving the black frame to wrap a little further around from the front. It might get kinda annoying to see flashy movies etc. reflected on the bezel!

But seriously, I'd buy one if it looked like that; its theelegent next step design wise - looking at iphone. Again, well done. And let's remeber that iPod White is not 2004 - its circa 2001. Definitely time to change up the whole design scheme (including colour )
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
post #31 of 116
bah...
post #32 of 116
That's one classy Mac! I love the chrome accents along the side (like the iPhone). Quite the sexy beast. Having one of those bad boys would add value to my desk!
post #33 of 116
Quote:

The side view reminds me of the G4 iMacs, the Sunflower/Mirror ones . I loved those guys a lot...
post #34 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

I'd buy the Fagin iMac. Black stand.

+1 for me. i like it, and it really makes the current imac look dated.

Quote:
Maybe we'll see something like this in October.

one can only hope! i think a couple of apple's lines need some re-invigorating, design wise, and this is a good start.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #35 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHope theWorld View Post

The side view reminds me of the G4 iMacs, the Sunflower/Mirror ones . I loved those guys a lot...

That was my inspiration.

I think iMac G4 was such a perfect design for a touch screen. You could pull it close to you for touch based apps, or leave it up for traditional mouse/keyboard apps.

Thanks for all the great comments.

And no I'm not Johny Ive...Or am I.
post #36 of 116
Quote:

- Joel Fagin

I like the design. Hopefully that is where Apple is going. iMac white has been around for too long.
post #37 of 116
With all these positive comments, I'm getting a hankering to do something silly like throw it on to Digg and see what happens.

I don't know which I'd prefer, although the white iMac needs some nip and tuck, of course. I think I'd have to see them to choose. The white one has the benefit of simplicity.

- Joel Fagin
post #38 of 116
Quote:

With all these positive comments, I'm getting a hankering to do something silly like throw it on to Digg and see what happens.

I don't know which I'd prefer, although the white iMac needs some nip and tuck, of course. I think I'd have to see them to choose. The white one has the benefit of simplicity.

- Joel Fagin

White looks a little dated IMO. The black design you've shown or aluminum, a la ACD, that Ireland has suggested looks like the future to me.
post #39 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Fagin

- Joel Fagin

There's a few problems I see with your thinking here;
1. That much chrome could be a distraction.
2. That much chrome would bring up costs.
3. If you look at the 2004 image, that iMac doesn't have the same stainless steel back as the same year iPod, it has a plastic back.
4. The reason the iPhone has a black bottom quarter on the back is so one can tell which end is up. The iMac wont require that.

Other then that I like the way it looks, good job.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #40 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRebs

I see where you got your inspiration:

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Speculative doodle: New iMac design