or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone questions

iPhone questions

post #1 of 10
These questions are a little speculative-esque. (I'm basically wondering hypothetical b.s. )
And are mostly to to: A) Excitement over the close *I see the light!* release date, B) Far too much time on my hands.

1. I (like some of you i bet) use an FM transmitter for my iPod in my car to play my music. I was wondering if the same one (Kensington that also charges the iPod) would work for the iPhone.

I mean how *hypothetically* different are the batteries going to be? Will people who use something like this need two? (One for iPhone one for iPod.)

2. Also I was looking at the keynote and noticed how the apps seem to "remember" where Steve had been (ex: Pirates movie).

*If one was to push the Home button during say an internet session would it simply "Hide" the web browser or would it "Quit"?

And say I hit the Home key while in the phone app...do you think the web browser would still be running? (In the "background" or something?)

P.S. I couldn't find this previously posted...sorry if dupicate.

*I know there isn't much actual info to answer this aptly...I'm trying to get ready? for it I guess. Also I know that the video feature was in iPod mode (Therefore may be different from phone app....). but i was just wondering.

Thanks to all of you for reading.
post #2 of 10
Well I don't have an iPhone yet so I don't really know the answer to your questions, but the iPhone will come with an iPod connector, so one can assume that it will be compatible with a fair few iPod accessories.

Steve Jobs said that the iPhone was the best iPod they had ever made. To me that says that it will have full iPod functionality and in turn work with iPod in car chargers and FM transmitters etc.

Now I could be wrong, but that doesn't happen very often! - jk.
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfirestorm View Post

1. I (like some of you i bet) use an FM transmitter for my iPod in my car to play my music. I was wondering if the same one (Kensington that also charges the iPod) would work for the iPhone.

I don't see why not. It doesn't require any "software" on the iPod. Since the dock connector is the same, I think it should work. Generally speaking, they'll make sure that iPhone works with as many existing iPod accessories as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfirestorm View Post

*If one was to push the Home button during say an internet session would it simply "Hide" the web browser or would it "Quit"?

And say I hit the Home key while in the phone app...do you think the web browser would still be running? (In the "background" or something?)

Do you mean, would your open pages still be there when you went back to Safari? I think they would.
post #4 of 10
I've an iPhone question;
Where's the standalone dictionary app?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I've an iPhone question;
Where's the standalone dictionary app?

I really doubt that's a high priority for most users, but even so, expect it to be a widget. I wouldn't be surprised if most such one-feature apps were iPhone (iPhone/Dashboard?) widgets.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

I really doubt that's a high priority for most users, but even so, expect it to be a widget. I wouldn't be surprised if most such one-feature apps were iPhone (iPhone/Dashboard?) widgets.

Even if it wasn't a widget, it might still look like one, it would be useful though.
post #7 of 10
Language translation, or better yet, spoken on-the-fly language translation would be fantastic. Get those translators for hire in India on the line.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Language translation, or better yet, spoken on-the-fly language translation would be fantastic. Get those translators for hire in India on the line.

Surprisingly that's something that should have been in computers years ago. Sherlock has something, but it's really just a "Channel" (I think that's what those things are called) from some other site.

Considering Steve didn't make a huge deal out of it at WWDC, I'm going to assume Leopard hasn't fixed this yet. T_T

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
post #9 of 10
I think you'll find that language translation software is still quite bad at even the simplest tasks. It's the textbook example of a software problem that was initially considered trivial but ended up being virtually insurmountable.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

I think you'll find that language translation software is still quite bad at even the simplest tasks. It's the textbook example of a software problem that was initially considered trivial but ended up being virtually insurmountable.

That's why switching over to a real human translator would be most effective... Excuse me, Mumbai calling...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone questions